Love At First Sign

Love At First Sign
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Who is that?*

 

I signed to my 7-year-old sister who is colouring a figure she just drew. A female I assume as she adds on long black hair to the figure.

She beamed and put down her colouring pencils and signed back to me

*My teacher*



I nodded in response and shows her a thumbs up for her work, she smiles back happily and continues colouring.



“Sehun, thank you for taking a day off tomorrow to take care of Lena,” my mom said whilst she picks up her bag from the island counter.



“No problem Mom, that’s what an older brother should do right?r” I smiled at her and she did the same in return.



“Aigoo, my boy is a manly man now” she teased as she patted my right cheek.

 

“I’ve made some stew, just heat it up later, I’ve packed some side dishes as well, remember to eat them…” my mom paused and furrowed her brows trying to remember what she else has to say.

“.....oh, and remember to pack Lena’s bag for her, get her ready by 8 am, I’ve notified her teacher that you will be sending her in,” she said and picks up her keys from the console table at the foyer.

I nodded my head calmly and picks up her hand carry bag for her.

 

“I’ll be back tomorrow,” she said worriedly.

“No worries Mom, do what you need to do, call me if grandma’s condition improves,” I said and she nodded as she left for the door.

*Bye Lena* My mom signed to my sister who is now looking up at the door.

*Bye Mommy* she signed back.

“Anything just gives me a call alright?” she said in a worried tone.

“Jeez mom, trust you son for once, I get it, now go,” I said, and passed her the hand carry.

 

“Alright, bye son” she chuckled as she reaches for her bag.

 

“Bye, and drive safe,” I said and close the door after she left the house.

 

I return back to the couch and turn on the TV, and look over at my sister happily colouring her drawing at the coffee table and occasionally taking little sips of her favourite yoghurt drink.

 

My sister, our family’s beloved maknae, is 17 years old younger than me, and she is deaf if you can’t figure out by now.

 

My mom found out she was pregnant when she was 40, before Lena came it was just the three of us, my parents and I, but I’m glad that my mom decided to keep her, even though the doctor said that it was a high-risk pregnancy, even though Lena wasn’t a ‘perfect’ baby, to us, she is. We start learning KSL (Korean sign language) ever since we found out that Lena was different, my mom and I were quick learners, but not for my dad, I laugh lightly with the sudden thought of my dad struggling with KSL.

 

Lena looked up at me and crinkled her nose assuming I was laughing at her. I shook my head and signed

 

*Do you want me to call dad*.

 

She nodded with a huge grin, and I patted my lap to motion her to sit on as I call our dad via facetime.

 

“Hey dad,” I said to my dad through the screen, and my sister waves brightly at him.

 

*Hows my little girl?*my dad signed to my sister, totally ignoring my presence.

 

*I’m good, I’m giving this to my teacher tomorrow* she signed and reached for half done art piece.

 

*Looks good Lena*.

 

She grinned.

 

“Dad, I’m here as well,” I said.

 

He chuckled “I know, have your mom left?” he asked.

 

“Yep, just did,  how’s work?” I asked.

 

“Busy, the construction company is taking too much time to meet the deadline” he complained with a frown, but his face softens when Lena continue smiling at him.

 

“I see, then I shouldn’t bother you, ”I said.

 

*Lena, anything to say to dad* I signed to her.

 

*I love you, daddy,* she signed and dad shows the brightest smile, and he signed back, and with that, we ended the call.

 

Lena returns to the rug to continue what she was doing earlier, while I stare at the TV blankly flipping through the channels, nothing caught my attention,until I saw a new episode of New Journey To The West season 4 will be airing 10 minutes later via the TV guide which is why I leave the TVN channel on.


My eyes shifted from the TV back to my sister, who is now beaming brightly at me with her hand holding on to her finish piece of art.


*Look* she pointed excitingly and handed me the paper, and sits on my lap.



“To Ms Arin” I read out and stared at the drawing. The figure had long hair, a dress, and a red scarf on, smiling brightly.



*Ms Arin is your teacher?*



She nodded. *Yes, she is my favourite teacher. She is very pretty too* she beamed.



*Great job Lena, are you giving this to her?*

 


She nodded. *Tomorrow* she reached for her art back.

 

 




The next day, I got Lena and myself ready by 8 am, and we left the house. While waiting for the elevator, Lena yanked my hand gaining my attention and I look at her.

 

*Oppa, my drawing?* she signed.

 

*It's in your bag, the second zip* I signed.

 

She nodded.

 

Lena beamed excitingly as we waited at the bus stop. Songpa Station.

 

I smiled at her and signed.



*It will be crowded in there, so hold on to my hand okay?*



She nodded.



And about 5 minutes later, the usual bus arrives.N37. I held on to Lena’s hand and carried her bag on my other and we got on. Surprisingly it is not as hectic as the time I usually take the bus to work, which is 7 am, the morning peak hour, which explains why I didn’t get to see her today.

 

Lena and I manage to get seats easily, and she sat by the window seat, looking out excitingly to start her day. I sighed to myself thinking how great it was to be a child again, now all I could do is work, work and work.

 

We arrived 20 minutes later at Lena’s special school. We got down at Daechi Station, the station after Gangnam, and I can easily spot the yellow pastel coloured building. We walk towards the building and we stop by the entrance when we were greeted by Mr Lee, the security ahjussi for the school.

 

*Good morning little one* he signed to my sister.

 

“Good morning Sehun,” he said to me, as he recognizes me as Lena's older brother now when he used to thought that I was her dad. He wasn't the only one who thought of it before, whenever Lena and I headed out, people will start assuming that I'm a young dad, but I got used to the stares and I wasn't bothered by it anymore.

 

“Good morning Mr Lee” I replied and help my sister to carry her bag.

 

*Thanks, oppa* she beamed and give me a hug when I squat down to meet her height.

 

“You must be Lena’s older brother, Mrs Oh had told me about this arrangement,” a lady in her mid-thirties said as she stops in front of us, who I assume is Lena’s teacher.

 

“Yes,” I nodded.

 

“How is your grandma?” She asked.

 

“My mom said she is getting better, thanks for asking,” I explained and she nodded.

 

“I see” her eyes then shifted to Lena,

 

*Lena, shall we go in then?” She signed and reached for my sister's hand. And my sister beamed excitingly. This must be Ms Arin, my sister’s favourite teacher I thought to myself.

 

*Lena, I’ll pick you up later, and we will go for lunch okay?* I signed.

 

*McDonalds?* she signed.

 

I chuckled, *Alright, Mcdonalds, but don’t tell mommy alright?* I signed back.

 

She nodded.

 

*Bye* I waved and she did the same before leaving me with her teacher.

 

I sighed to myself. Looking at my wrist watch, I have 4 hours to myself. Maybe I should wander around this neighbourhood.

 

I have my hands in my pocket as I walk down the street from Lena’s school. I don’t come here often, which is why I’m not familiar with this street. As I walk down the street, I noticed that there is some new row of shops consist of cosy looking cafes, floral shop, hair salon and a stationery shop at the far end corner. This is a nice neighbourhood, I thought to myself.

 

I stopped by the stationary shop, eyeing at the display case of a Hello Kitty set of colour pencils. Lena might like this, I smile to myself and so with that thought, I took a step in the shop, and by then I saw someone familiar walk passed me brushing my shoulder with hers. She looked back and gave me an apologetic bow and by then our eyes met. It's her. I could see her eyes widened a little when our eyes met. I did a bow too, but by then she already left the spot and hurriedly walk away.

“I..” I didn’t manage to stop her. I felt my heart thump a little before I could process what happened. I was surprised that I saw her again, and not on the bus this time.

 

*Lena, How was school today?* I signed to my sister, as we sat down with our food in Mcdonalds.

 

*Great, Ms Arin love my drawing* she beamed and took a fries.

 

*Good to know* I signed and swept her long bangs away from her eyes, and my thoughts wander.

 

“Good luck on your first day of work hun,” my mom said as she fixed my black tie, and straighten my blazer for me.

 

“Thanks mom,” I said and left the house.

 

It's the first day of work for me, and I have decided to take the bus to work ever since I got accepted to work for Kim Enterprise, one of the well known corporate company located in Gangnam. It’s about 5 stations away from the bus stop near my house. I waited nervously for the bus as I looked at my wristwatch and it shows 7.16 am. Office workers and students are all waiting in line and so am I. I was feeling agitated and afraid that with so many people queuing, I wouldn’t make it on the bus. Although with the negative thought, the bus arrived on time and I manage to get on. I scan around the bus for an empty spot to stand at, since all the seats are taken. People are all looking and scrolling their phones, most with their earphones in. Some were yawning, while some look like they will be having a good day ahead. I held on to the handlebar with one hand, and my briefcase on the other. I stared blankly out the window, and alert myself at all times, whenever people need to walk past me to get down the bus.

 

- Dongnimun Station, Dongnimun Station-

 

The bus announced, and I took a mental note, that Gangnam Station will be the third station after this one. I look around again to let people passed through to get on and off the bus, and that was the moment when I saw her.

A girl got on the bus and caught my attention, her straight black hair frame her fair face, and she was wearing a yellow colour sundress and a black cardigan, and she like the others have her earphones plug in too. The moment she steps in, I couldn’t help but look, her face looks calm even though she had to fight her way into the bus. I glance away to avoid staring for too long, but moments later I caught myself staring again. She too was holding on to the handlebar, and staring out the window. She is beautiful. I was staring again, and when the bus stops at the next station, our eyes met. I look away quickly feeling my ears reddened, since its Gwanghwanmun Station, many people got off, and I looked up again, trying to look for her, but I realized she was gone, I was disappointed, Did she get off? My eyes wander around the bus, and I was relieved when I saw her now seated at the single row at the back of the bus. Right then I mentally tell myself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter