[ONE]

tzuyu's sol
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun has seen the world orbit its axis around it for billions of years. It has seen the age of the dinosaurs and its demise, the evolution of humans, technology, and society. It has seen both its wonders and its diseases.

 

The sun supposes that no place is perfect; there is only so much it could do as the sun. In the galaxy where extraterrestrial planets and moons revolve around it, the earth has always stood out to it. Amongst aliens and hidden treasures, the human species has always interested the sun. Its ever-evolving cultures, people, and events has shown significant life. It makes the sun feel as if its job of giving life was being reciprocated to its greatest.

 

Every moment, the sun sees how flowers bloom at the command of its rays, how people crawl at their knees to follow its light. Truly, it is a great power to be the sun. Yet, after tireless years of watching earth’s inhabitants grow, live, and die, the sun wishes to experience the same journey.

 

Never in the sun’s lifetime did it wish for anything. It allowed for time to take its course, for corruption to arise and manifest, allowed for evil to plague the world. At the same time, it allowed the movements for change, the conditions for technological evolution. For so long, it has stayed neutral and allowed for the human race to decide their fate.

 

The sun has excelled at its job. It has given life to all corners of the world, light to even the smallest forms of life, provided warmth in cold winters, been the most consistent presence the world has ever seen. Just eight light-minutes away, the sun has given its all to the earth.

 

With its only wish, the sun decides to live among the people it has given life to for a day.

 

It does not decide to descend as some Greek God, does not decide to give itself a generous cushion of money, power, and authority by taking the life of someone who already has it. Instead, it decides to make a home out of a young girl, born and raised in Taiwan. Its human form is only a couple of months old, small, quiet, innocent, and named Tzuyu. The sun chooses the purest form of life. In the wonders of experiencing the world as Tzuyu, the sun decides that a singular day as a human is not enough. For the first time, the sun experiences the gentle and loving care of a mother, the doting father, and the beautiful sound of life chirping. For the first time, the sun doesn’t feel lonely.

 

For that, the sun wishes to stay, and stay it does.

 

As Tzuyu grows, she makes friends on her second week of preschool. The sun marvels at the feeling of companionship for all it has known in its whole life is isolation. Tzuyu sings songs about farm animals, dances to ones about one-eyed purple people eaters, and lives a blissful childhood.

 

As a human, the wonders of life are even greater than they seem. Food is even more delicious than it looks, people are much bigger, and music is so much more beautiful than the sun could ever fathom. At a young age, Tzuyu becomes attached to the melodies coming from her television. The sun learns that its human body feels the desire to dance when she is ten. Her family enrolls her in dance workshops and pays for her expenses. From there, she learns the art of dance and practices diligently to please her instructor and herself. The sun promises to work earnestly in what her human body prioritizes.

 

~

 

The sun has seen fate’s progress and result with its own eyes. It isn’t until foreign scouts that watched Tzuyu’s dance showcase talk to her about a Korean entertainment company looking for talent does she realize fate is pulling its strings on Tzuyu’s life. Just as the sun allowed for fate to run its course, it does not intervene with fate putting its hands on Tzuyu’s life.

 

At twelve, she leaves her family and life at Taiwan to start a new one in Korea. For the first time, the sun experiences great fear and trepidation. But, this is what Tzuyu wants. The sun refuses to interfere with the life fate has planned for her human form.

 

Somewhere lost in translation, the sun’s ability to understand the multitudes of languages and its dialects does not reflect in Tzuyu. It takes her human body awhile to grasp Korean and speak it. The sun has never felt such frustration in its life. In learning numbers of dances and songs, trying to remember faces with names, on top of a new language, the sun feels completely helpless in aiding a smoother transition for Tzuyu. However, the sun feels, for the first time, the great triumph in learning a new language and being able to effectively communicate with others.

 

The sun feels proud of Tzuyu.

 

The sun learns that being proud of Tzuyu will be a reoccurring feeling.

 

At fifteen, Tzuyu is invited to appear on JYP’s new show Sixteen. The concept is daunting and life-defining. Sixteen girls are to compete against each other for the sake of debuting and the sun knows better than anyone else just how much Tzuyu wants to debut. The sun knows how closely Tzuyu holds her family in Taiwan, how much she loves being home and being with Gucci. For Tzuyu to fearfully chase her dreams with the brightest ambition, the sun decides to place a great deal of effort and importance on debuting.

 

Sixteen is grueling, emotionally and mentally damaging, and so physically taxing. It’s a whole new schedule of preparation, performance, and presentation. In the face of the realities of being an idol, Tzuyu does not shy away from her challenges and practices diligently to keep herself afloat.

 

Park Jinyoung does not call her name amongst the others during the assembling of Twice. The sun feels Tzuyu’s pain, the blunt pressure of disappointment digging into her heart. The sun also learns the tricks and cliffs of reality shows and sees how the CEO twists the show and surprises its audience and participants by adding two unforseen members. Tzuyu is one, Momo, the other. The sun feels the great surge of thankfulness and emotion in Tzuyu’s heart. The sun hears how her voice shakes, feels how the adrenaline rushes through her body, how driven Tzuyu is to prove that the audiences’ votes are not taken for granted of.

 

The sun knows that the eight girls standing beside her on stage will be the people that molds Tzuyu’s life for many years to come. The sun knows that fate decided to treat Tzuyu kindly; the sun is so grateful, not for itself, but for Tzuyu.

 

With how hard Tzuyu works, hopes, and carries on, the sun is grateful for fate’s hand in allowing for such opportunities of happiness to infiltrate Tzuyu’s life.

 

~

 

Time passes by in a whirl.

 

It isn’t until “Cheer Up” does Twice generate a mass storm of attention, love, and validation.

 

The sun learns that the storm is just barely starting. In the blurs of performances, award shows, comebacks, and tours, the sun becomes awfully attached to Tzuyu’s group members. The sun has never felt such love, affection, empathy, and companionship. The sun takes comfort in the fact that Tzuyu will never feel lonely as long as she has her members by her side.

 

The sun hopes that Tzuyu will never feel lonely. It’s a desolate and empty feeling that the sun has lived with and grown accustomed to.

 

The sun ignores how once this life passes, so will its happiness.

 

In the presence of eight other souls, it is easy for the sun to ignore its future demise.

 

Nayeon is an enigma. The sun and Tzuyu learn at the same time that their eldest member is a ball of stress and insecurity covered by exaggerated confidence to aid the real with childlike humor complimenting her incredibly mature mindset. As much power and authority Nayeon suspends in the technicalities of how their group runs, she puts that much, if not more, faith and support in their younger leader.

 

Jeongyeon, had the sun not chosen Tzuyu, would have chosen her. Reliable, warm, and consistent, Jeongyeon is a home of comfort for her members. Just as teasing and playful as she can be, she is equally nurturing and cognizant of what her members need. The sun feels that Jeongyeon’s greatest priority is not to be a great idol, but, to be a great group member. The sun supposes that everything else will just fall in line with that.

 

Momo, the sun thinks, is severely undermined. In talent, ability, and potential, Momo holds a torch for growth and improvement. She is, without a doubt, one of the most hardworking people the sun has ever seen. Everything she does, she does earnestly, genuinely, and full-heartedly. She dances with a great passion in her heart and fearlessly puts her heart in her member’s hands. Momo is a great gift to the world. The sun and Tzuyu come to revere Momo with a gentle disposition.

 

Sana is more than what she seems. She is heart-shakingly cute and endearing, and at the flip of a switch, she could be the fantasy of anyone’s dreams. More than that, she has an incredible heart beating in her chest overwhelmed with the desperate ache to love. With that, she possesses the great ability to sympathize and empathize with people around her and she is able to utilize her practiced skill of communication to reach out to the hearts of others.

 

Jihyo could give life with her radiant smile and warm laughter. She has the innate ability to intertwine nine different strings of life into one. With Jihyo as Twice’s leader, the foundation for this group is built upon her shoulders. Before any great building can be built, the earth must be strong enough to hold its structure together through the shakes and rumbles it experiences. The sun thinks that Jihyo’s shoulders are the most solid piece of earth anyone could find.

 

Mina craves for home. Not a home in Japan, but a home for her heart. Hers includes the likes of eight people and although it may get a bit crowded and overwhelming, Mina wouldn’t have it any other way. Behind her elegance and grace, an excited girl aches to care for and receive care from the people that she has built homes in. Mina hopes to prove to the world, and to herself, that she is deserving of the love that she is receiving. The sun thinks she has nothing to prove.

 

Dahyun is a beautiful wonder. A genuine heart beats to make the lives around her better. She looks to make people laugh, to make the world more bearable. She employs humor and love as her greatest weapons and she works everyday to ensure that even the darkest of days have laces of brightness in them. On days where tension is tight and breathing feels suffocated, Dahyun becomes the much needed breath of fresh air.

 

Chaeyoung, a small person with a towering personality, is exactly what she presents herself to be. Familiar with fear but resilient to giving in, Chaeyoung is simple in a way where whichever way life goes, she would see no point in going against the current. In a few words, the sun summarizes her as a principled yes-woman. Although adamant on sticking to her beliefs, Chaeyoung looks to fulfill whatever needs to be fulfilled and prioritizes the whole over herself.

 

To the sun, Tzuyu is more than just a vessel to which its wishes could be granted. She is a woman of silent confidence, reserved affection, and unbridled love for the world. Tzuyu looks to the present and forgoes the superficiality of life. Pure, in a way where the world’s corruption hasn’t plagued her soul, the sun is so grateful for Tzuyu and her perception of love and living. Despite seeing the cruelty of the world, Tzuyu still loves with her heart on her sleeve, and that, the sun thinks, is her greatest power.

 

~

 

The sun marvels at the dynamics of this group.

 

In the mess of teasing and playing around, there is an undeniable and indubitable foundation of respect and love between the nine of them.

 

The sun has seen the world’s kindness and humanity but has never felt it. With Tzuyu, the sun experiences a world that isn’t as horrible and cold as it seems. The sun and Tzuyu surmise that as long as their members occupy the world, the world will already be a warmer place.

 

The sun could never imagine feeling the things it feels. In the extraordinary life of a more-than-ordinary girl, the sun feels, at great amounts, emotions like love, gratitude, stress, and pressure. The sun supposes that being a well-loved (and well-worked) girl group would elicit such feelings.

 

The sun tries with all its might to remember the moments, memories, and faces of the people that surround Tzuyu’s life.

 

Because of Tzuyu, the sun knows what it feels like to be revered, cared for, and supported. Because of her members, the sun knows unconditional love and loyalty.

 

Despite giving life, the sun doesn’t know much about living. The sun didn’t know what love felt like, how pain manifests and leeches to a soul until the pain eases or numbs, how delicious food tasted, the rumbling and buzzing of sound equipment rattling off of the floor, how gratifying it feels to be appreciated. The sun, like Tzuyu,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter