IV

Don't

Sungjin isn't usually a breakfast person to begin with, and to be interrogated by strangers doesn't necessarily help his appetite. 

"So, Sungjin, how long have you and Wonpil been dating?"

Oh, . 

Wonpil mentally smacks himself, they spent the entirity of their phonecall learning about each other, failing to fabricate a story about the relationship they share together. 

"It's only been a couple of months," Sungjin answers, 

"You ruined a wedding over a couple of months?" his mom asks,

"Well, I'm serious about him." he answers, grabbing Wonpil's hand and intertwining their fingers. Sungjin would make a great actor, Wonpil thinks.

"You try watching someone you're in love with marry someone else,"

"I did."

Oh my God, Sungjin thinks, and nearly chokes on his own saliva at the sudden information, suppressing laughter. 

"And I just watched because it wasn't my place."

"Looks like we weren't in the same place then."

"Yes, clearly. Because you are a commoner, you hold no status, title... You offer nothing for our son."

"I thought I was a pretty good boyfriend," Sungjin mumbles,

"Is this a joke to you, Park Sungjin?" his father asks and Sungjin straightens his posture, and sets his jaw.

"No." he answers,

"Your son's life isn't a joke. Neither is our relationship."

"How many months have you been dating, both of you answer me when I count to 3,"

Wonpil nearly flails in panic went Sungjin grabs his hand under the table and quickly taps the back of his hand 4 times,

"1, 2, 3,"

"4 months," Wonpil and Sungjin say in unison,

"Really?" and they nod calmly,

"Where did you two meet," and there's no time for some code under the table as she reaches 3,

"Online,"

"At a cafe." 

"Well, I contacted him online and we met up at a cafe," Sungjin saves,

"Online? Wonpil does not have social media,"

"I was on a dating app," Wonpil lies,

"A dating app? With your place in society, are you crazy?"

"Not many people know who I am, and if they did, they thought I was catfishing." he explains,

"Was the crashing of the wedding coordinated between the both of you?"

"No, that was all my doing. I take full responsibility for that." Sungjin answers Mr. Kim,

"I didn't tell Wonpil I would be present, and he didn't know I would ruin the wedding,"

"Regardless, he still left with you. Wonpil's his own person, he could've stopped running with you,"

"Is he his own person though?" Sungjin asks,

"Because from what I've seen, it seems like he's just a puppet for you guys."

"He is going to be the head of this company, and if he doesn't act like it soon, the future of this foundation that the Kim family has been building for generations is ruined."

"He's 28- 26," he quickly corrects and Wonpil has to close his eyes and bite his lower lip to avoid laughing. 

"And he hasn't lived." 

"And who are you to determine that?" Mrs. Kim asks,

"You're an outsider. You have no place in our family, you don't know how we operate,"

"Families don't operate, businesses do."

"That's the mindset of someone who hasn't had billions of dollars, thousands of jobs and decades of hard work resting on their shoulders." Sungjin stares at Wonpil's dad,

"Maybe that's why I'm able to hold my head high, not slouched over in stress and sadness." and their food comes and Mrs. Kim says,

"Well," putting on a smile that slightly irritates Sungjin,

"Shall we eat?" she prompts and Sungjin and Wonpil say thank you to the waitress before beginning to eat. 

"You say you're serious about our son," Mrs. Kim starts when their plates are clear and they're just sipping on coffee,

"We are dating."

"But you do realize what that means, right? Being serious about our son, involving yourself in our family and business."

"Oh, those are 2 separate things?" Sungjin tests,

"Sungjin," Wonpil scolds only for Sungjin to hear, Mrs. Kim smiles,

"You have quite the attitude towards the parents of someone you're serious about."

"I like to give whatever I receive," he answers with a sweet smile.

"Well!" Mr. Kim interrupts with a clap,

"That was a lovely breakfast. You should get to the university, and Wonpil has administrative things to deal with, so, we should part here." 

"It's on me," Sungjin says, taking out his wallet and his parents just nod gratefully before saying,

"I'm sure we'll see you soon, Sungjin." and he gives them a nod back.

"I got it," Wonpil offers when Sungjin goes to pay,

"No, you paid for the drinks yesterday,"

"That was nothing compared to a meal, with my parents,"

"It's okay," he assures with a soft smile.

"Do you need a ride to the university?" Wonpil asks,

"Uh yeah, your parents just left so..." Sungjin trails off with an awkward smile. 

They're in the car and Wonpil's actually sitting in the back with Sungjin, Jinyoung sometimes taking peeks through the rearview mirror.

"Is something wrong?" Sungjin asks and Wonpil exhales,

"Our lie got a bit more intricate today," he says with a small smile,

"I'm just trying to figure out how to get you out, you don't deserve to be caught up in this."

"I still don't know why we can't just break up,"

"You heard my mom... And you told her you were serious about me!"

"What was I supposed to say, no I'm not seriously dating your son?"

"No, but do you have you talk to my parents with that attitude?"

"I was sticking up for you,"

"But I didn't ask you to! And they're more likely to dislike you now,"

"It's not like we're actually dating, them liking me isn't important,"

"Yes it is, because it'll effect how you're dealt with even if we break up." and Sungjin stares at Wonpil, 

"You know Wonpil, you point out things I do that complicate things as if I want this situation to be worse than it already is. You try being somebody's fake boyfriend when you're getting grilled by their parents."

"I know that it's hard, but stop taunting them. My mom has a point, you don't know about our world,"

"Oh what, your rich world? I may not know about that, but I know about being a human being." he says,

"Next time, you lead then. You didn't say anything the whole meal and you expect me to execute this role perfectly?" and Wonpil doesn't know why this turned into an argument, but Sungjin says,

"Jinyoung, do you mind just dropping me off here?"

"Here? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's not that far from campus."

"Yes it is," Wonpil says,

"I'd rather not get into a deeper argument with you right now." Sungjin explains and Jinyoung unlocks the doors,

"Thanks," he says and closes the door and Wonpil watches as they drive off and Sungjin begins walking, his expression angry and Wonpil feels guilty.

"What was that all about?" Jinyoung asks,

"I don't even know..." he answers,

"Hard to find common ground, huh?" 

"What do you mean?"

"You introduce a stranger to your parents, a working-class man at that, and you think he knows how to deal with that world?" 

"It's not that different of a world... Even using worlds to differentiate is a stretch,"

"You say that 'cause you grew up in it, but you know it... You were made aware when I became your driver."

"Jinyoung..."

"So, to the office or do you still want to go to Seoul Dae?"

"Can you just drop me off at home, please? I'll work from there today." 

"Okay." and the rest of the drive is quiet.

 

Sungjin's in his apartment, still irritated from that altercation with Wonpil, and he's trying to arrange a piece for the next performance when he hears a knock at his door. He looks through the peephole and has a confused expression when he opens it,

"Hey," Wonpil says with an unsure smile,

"I come baring truce offerings?" he prompts and Sungjin looks at the boxes of pizza he's holding, and the hand that's occupied with a bottle of wine.

Wonpil looks pretty casual, just in some jogging pants, a jumper layered with a sweater and a hat. Sungjin thinks he looks cute, all domestic and ordinary.

"Red or white?"

"Red, duh," and Sungjin opens the door wider and takes the pizza from Wonpil. 

"So, what's up?"

"I just felt like I needed to come by and apologize."

"You have my number,"

"But it's more likely for you to accept my apology if I came in person... And would you have picked up my call?"

"How petty do you think I am?"

"Considering how you talk to my parents..."

"I thought this was a truce meeting," and they laugh. 

Sungjin's apartment is nice - organized, decorations kept the minimum with various instruments in his living room. 

"Welcome to my humble abode," he says when he notices Wonpil looking around,

"It's nice,"

"Thanks."

"Aw, you were so cute!"

"Were?" Sungjin tests and Wonpil rolls his eyes with an amused smile,

"I didn't think you'd have childhood photos of yourself,"

"My mom likes to visit and decorate," Sungjin says as Wonpil continues to look around the living room.

"What's that box?"

"Oh, that's... That's Jaebum's things... He still hasn't picked them up," and Wonpil regrets even asking.

"Oh, God, sorry, I should just stop talking," and Sungjin laughs,

"No, it's cool!" he assures as he pulls out 2 wine glasses.

Wonpil joins Sungjin in the kitchen, sitting at a bar stool at the island.

"Hey Sungjin, I just really wanted to apologize for that misunderstanding in the car..."

"It's fine,"

"No, it's not... I was mad at you and didn't try to see things from your point of view, and totally forgot that you're in this mess 'cause of me. So, I'm sorry." 

"I'm sorry for lashing out too..." and they just stare at each other.

"So... Can we eat now?" Sungjin asks and Wonpil nods. 

They end up sitting on Sungjin's couch after he puts on a movie to play in the background as they eat and talk.

"I've never done this before," Wonpil says,

"What? Ate pizza?" and he laughs,

"Well yeah, kinda... Like just at someone's place, chilling at talking..."

"It seems like there's a lot you haven't gotten the chance to do."

"Yeah, well," and he shrugs before taking a bite of the pizza.

"Oh dude, when your mom asked about our relationship this morning I started sweating," Wonpil sets his slice down to clap as he laughs,

"Me too!"

"You're lucky your fake boyfriend is smart and quick-witted,"

"You messed up my age!"

"It's not like she noticed,"

"Oh, she definitely did... And if he didn't, my dad did,"

"Whatever, they didn't say anything." 

"Oh and you saying we met online? Now they think I have a dating app downloaded!"

"You don't? How do you have fun?" and Wonpil smacks his arm playfully,

"I don't!"

"Oh, yeah right, no way you're inexperienced," 

"We're stopping this topic of convo here." Wonpil says, and Sungjin puts his hands up in surrender before taking another slice of pizza.

They talk about trivial things - getting to know each other even more, without the structure of a business report, without the pressure of having to memorize facts in case it gets questioned. Wonpil finds himself invested in everything Sungjin tells him, and Sungjin listens to his few stories intently and with reactions. Wonpil really enjoys talking to him. The wine helped both of them to just losen up, open up and talk like they were just normal people - Sungjin would argue that that's exactly what they were. That they were normal, and just their circumstance is special. Apparently they're both hungry because they manage to finish a box and a half of the pizza before Sungjin puts on another movie to serve as white noise for their conversation. 

"He was super cute."

"That's how you found out you were gay?" Sungjin says between laughter,

"Yes! Imagine hearing someone so attractive speak French? That's like the epitome of love language,"

"No, it's not," 

"Are you serious? He could've said 'eat my baguette' and I would've-"

"Oh my God, you're ridiculous! That was your French teacher!" Sungjin says, throwing his head back in laughter and Wonpil takes pride in making him laugh. 

"I was homeschooled, and he was really young, you make it sound so creepy," and Sungjin shakes his head.

"But French is not the language of love,"

"What is then, Mr. Romantic?" Wonpil asks, and Sungjin sets down his glass of wine. He gets up and takes one of his electrics that's already plugged into the amp. It's a beautiful white guitar with black and gold accents,

"Watch," he tells Wonpil as he turns on the amp and Wonpil rests his head in his hand, arm propped up on the back of the couch. 

Sungjin sits down in a chair in front of Wonpil, the small coffee table in between them as he plays a of something jazzy, nothing flashy, no shredding. It makes Wonpil let out an impressive,

"Oo!" when Sungjin plays up the blues scale so effortlessly, adding 7ths and 13ths and syncopated rhyhtm as he taps the time with his foot.

He thinks Sungjin looks extremely attractive, just like this. In some black sweatpants, a maroon t-shirt, his brown hair falling on his face but not in his way of the fret board, biting his lower lip just slightly as he focuses on the notes he plays.

"Music." Sungjin says, as he finishes off with a 7 chord,

"That is the eptiome of love language."

"Hard to argue with that."

"Understood everywhere if it's instrumental," he says with a wink that makes Wonpil suppress a wide smile.

"Do you sing?" Wonpil asks,

"I'm able to... What kind of music professor would I be if I couldn't." 

"My bad," he replies with laughter.

"Get on the keys," he prompts,

"Oh no, I can't-"

"C'mon, it's just us 2! I wanna hear,"

"Sungjin, I don't-"

"Lemme hear some of that love language, Pil!" he jokes, spreading his arms and closing his eyes as if preparing to embrace the sound and Wonpil laughs,

"I'm not that good, I don't know why you think I am." Wonpil says, getting up and removing his sweater so the sleeves don't obscure the keys,

"You say as you're walking over to the keyboard," and Wonpil laughs, tells himself it's the wine, not Sungjin's humour.

"I gotta show you up after that,"

"Okay, now I'm confused, are you bragging or are you shy about your musical ability?"

"I'm just a bit tipsy, that's what I am," and Sungjin laughs as Wonpil turns on the keyboard and plays a song from his teenage years,

"I love this song!" Sungjin says,

"No way you actually know this,"

"I do! I'm only 2 years older than you, calm down... And you play beautifully, by the way." and Wonpil looks at the keys to avoid Sungjin's eyes but nearly goes crazy when Sungjin starts singing.

It's soft at first, as if unsure and embarrassed, but soon enough he's singing in the range that allows his rasp to come through. And Wonpil loves it. He turns to see Sungjn, singing with his eyes closed as he sways slightly to the piano, his guitar still snug in his lap. Seeing Sungjin so serene and just content with music, he decides to sing along. Wonpil adds upper harmony as he plays the keys, eyes on the piano so he can't see Sungjin's reaction but he hears,

"Oh my God!" as he stops singing the main melody. It makes Wonpil laugh, but he quickly resumes singing and Sungjin does too. Their duet is beautiful, Wonpil admits, and he adores the happiness that comes with the music - or maybe his duet partner, the wine blurs already thin lines. 

"You can sing!" Wonpil says once he eventually turns around,

"That's my line, what the Hell!" Sungjin says, 

"Wow... You're amazing." he says, looking at Wonpil with eyes that seem to sparkle.

"Wa, a music professor from Seoul Dae complimenting my singing?"

"And piano playing," he adds and Wonpil just laughs off the blush on his cheeks.

They resume talking, glad it's a Friday night because neither of them have anywhere to be but here.

"So, it doesn't hurt when your voice does that scratchy sound?"

"Oh, wow what technical terms," Sungjin teases,

"No, it doesn't hurt."

"That's so cool... It's so manly," Wonpil comments and Sungjin laughs,

"Manlier than that French teacher who said eat my baguette?" Wonpil throws his head back with a hiccup of a laugh that Sungjin thinks is really cute.

"He didn't actually say that! I was just saying, if he had, I would've eaten his baguette,"

"Oh my God," Sungjin mumbles while laughing as he shakes his head. 

They go back to the couch, facing each other as they talk into the night, and Wonpil finds himself falling for Sungjin. Probably somewhere between his music performance and him talking about how some students excel in musical theory but not performance while he was the exact opposite. He tries to reason with himself, saying that he's just being sensitive because of the wine, because he's never had such a deep yet casual conversation with anyone except Jinyoung, because Sungjin plays such a good fake boyfriend.

"Hey, Sungjin," he says,

"Yeah?" and Wonpil stares at him, somehow managing to muster up courage for him to say,

"That night we met and went to your hotel," Sungjin spits up some of his wine and clears his throat,

"Mm?" he prompts and Wonpil says,

"Was I a good kisser?"

"Uh..."

"'Cause everyone I've kissed doesn't really comment on it, so I'm curious-" and he doesn't expect Sungjin to reach over and hold his face in his hand,

"Do you mind if I refresh my memory?" and Wonpil tries to calm his heart that's suddenly racing but he stares at Sungjin's lips as he nods.

Sungjin closes the distance and it's slow but familiar. Just slightly though, because it still excited Wonpil, sends a thrill down his back as if this is taboo, like this is something he shouldn't be doing. And he probably shouldn't be. But people are friends with benefits all the time, people have interactions detached from intimacy, but not making love. But, they weren't even doing that, which is why Wonpil knows for his own sake, kissing his fake boyfriend isn't the best idea. But it feels like it is. 

He has his hand around Sungjin's neck, while Sungjin's left is in his hair, right on his waist pulling him closer. Wonpil lays down on the couch while Sungjin hovers over him, kissing him deep. They just kiss like this, the air between them getting hot and Wonpil wondering if they'll move to Sungjin's bedroom when his phone goes off as Sungjin's starting a hickey on his neck. The loud ring startles both of them, but Sungjin just laughs against Wonpil's neck,

"Hello?" he answers, and Sungjin can only hear Wonpil's side of the conversation.

"Right now?"

"Okay. I'll be there in a few. No, don't send Jinyoung, I'll drive myself," 

"Leaving so soon?" Sungjin says, teasingly, and Wonpil wants to say no.

"I really don't want to, but company stuff," he informs with a groan and Sungjin gets up,

"Do you need a ride?"

"No, it's okay, thank you," and Wonpil gets up to leave,

"Wait, Pil-ah," Sungjin stops, runs to his room, leaving Wonpil to dwell on the nickname, and comes out tossing Wonpil a black lump of fabric,

"What's this?"

"A turtleneck," he informs with a cheeky smile,

"Didn't know you'd be leaving." 

"Same," Wonpil says and looks at Sungjin's sweatpants and Sungjin follows his line of sight and scoffs,

"I'll take care of this business, you go take care of yours," he says, laughing as he lightly pushes Wonpil toward the door,

"Aw c'mon, but I'm the perfect business man,"

"Wonpil," he warns and Wonpil surrenders,

"Unfair, why do you get the good business," and Sungjin laughs.

They're saying bye at the doorway when Wonpil turns back around to see Sungjin,

"Thanks for tonight," he beats him to it and Wonpil just nods as Sungjin adds,

"It was nice getting to know you without having a report in front of me,"

"Yeah, same..." 

"Sing for me again sometime?"

"Gladly." and Sungjin gives him a sweet smile,

"Get to wherever you're going safely,"

"Yeah, will do... Thanks Sungjin," and Wonpil walks down the hall, hearing Sungjin close his door and wondering what the Hell they are. He wonders if Sungjin's just fooling around, but then again, Wonpil doesn't know what he wants out of this either. He wants Sungjin out - out of the corporate mess, but it seems like things between them might get messier.

Sungjin closes the door and notices Wonpil left behind his sweater in the kitchen and makes a mental note to return it the next time he sees him.

Wonpil changes into the turtleneck in the car before driving and dealing with business. It's only when he's already changed that he realizes he forgot his sweater, and knowing some things were in the pocket, tells himself he'll pick it up tomorrow morning.

 

The next morning, Wonpil knocks on Sungjin's door, and is about to greet "Good morning" with a smile until the door opens and reveals Jaebum, just in his boxers and a sweater.

"Oh." Wonpil says, not knowing why he's starting to feel a type of way,

"Who is it?" Sungjin asks and pops his head in the little hall to the doorway. He's shirtless, scrambling some eggs and wearing the matching bottoms of Jaebum's sweater. Him and Wonpil maintain eye contact as Jaebum answers,

"That guy from the cafe." 


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi Hello, my name is Zen! I'm so slow with these updates, I'm sorry LOL regardless, I hope you guys enjoyed that chapter! Please comment any thoughts, I'd love to know! If you guys wanna be friends, feel free to contact me on

twitter & instagram: @zenkrcovers | kakao: zenaya

Thank you for reading! - Zen