Teardrop

Teardrop

A drop of water­—so small and insignificant, but when it falls, it ripples through the calm surface of the liquid pool, changing it forever. Everyone has a teardrop in their life—no matter the shape or form of it, they exist, and like a storm—they bring sudden disastrous or marvelous change.

My teardrop came in the form of a pale, cogitative young boy with slightly dark brown hair and eyes that looked everywhere about—as if drinking in the surroundings around him.

“Stars were made from clouds of dust, but my parent’s used to say they were made of prayers,” he said, looking up at the velvet sky arrayed with a thousand starlight, the glimmer making his pale skin glow brighter when he turns his eyes to me and whispers, “what kind of prayers do you think they are?”

I hum in consideration as I look up at the sky, and I feel myself lie down on the soft grass, “I’m not sure, but for them to shine this brightly, they must be prayers full of love.”

My eyes are on him, and his expressions switches to that of confusion, “Love can do things such as that?”

I stand up on my barefooted feet, and skip along the soft grass, “When someone is in love, they shine so bright, brighter than any star you see,” I reach out a hand for him to take, and soon we were twirling around, “A person in love, is a person who touches everything with a unique kind of gentleness. They walk through dusty roads with a spring in their step, and their smile is sparked with utmost happiness. They’re the ones who truly live.”

Breathless laughter escape our mouths as we plop down on the grass under the cosmic latte. “That sounds a lot like you,” he stares at my face, “are you in love?”

I look at the eyes that met mine, and admired the chocolate swirl in them that threatened to pull me under. My eyes droop, and I see his pale skin glimmer as if he were starlight himself, the wind playing with his soft dark brown hair. Then I felt it; an ache of longing in my chest, a longing that burned from within.

Eyes soft, my hands almost reach out to touch. Instead, my words reached to satisfy his curious mind.

“Just a little bit.”