You Caught My Attention

All My Wishes

‘’You taste like sunshine

Just like you’ve been kissed

By the morning light

 

And i was darkness

dancing with the stars

carelessly, breathlessly

 

And our lips meet softly.

Color erupting in the atmosphere

The absolute lightest darkness

 

Dawn is breaking:

A fleeting moment when

The sun can kiss the moon’’

(AKR)

---

 

Am I a daydreamer? Of course.  Sometimes there’s no better way to get through a boring eight hour shift or a two hour commute. So when something interesting finally happened I was ready to seek the source to the ends of the earth. The interesting thing that happened? Let’s back up a bit here.

 

My Name? Jimin and I’m twenty-one years old. I belong to a family of four, my mother and father and my little brother. We moved to Chicago from Busan when I was nine and a half. Truly a grueling time as I could not get a hold on the english language and still have a difficult time despite all the immersion that has taken place since then. My little brother, Jungkook seemed to have taken to the language easily. Maybe it’s not so much that I can’t learn though, maybe I just don’t want to.

 

Anyways; My parents own a small bakery on the corner of West Barry Avenue and West Halsted street. It’s home to a mixture of Korean and American pastries. The place is pretty popular for its Jjinppang. But enough of… Whatever it is I’m going on about. It’s winter time, which means it’s generally slower and we don’t get too many tourists and it’s mostly locals who come in. So when he starts showing up I couldn’t help but to take an interest. He’s tall; Taller than my entire family. I know for a fact he’s smart since when he removes all six of his layers he’s wearing a ‘University of Chicago’ sweater.

 

He’s sitting across the bakery at one of our smaller tables, in front of him is the before mentioned Jjinppang and a cup of hot tea. His glasses are resting at the tip of his small round nose and his eyes are focused on the notebook he’s scribbling away on.

‘’You’re staring again’’ Jungkook elbows me in the back. I turn around to slap him but he’s already managed to walk to the other end of the counter near the register. I glare at him and he knows for sure if he even steps within my reach it’s over for him.

 

I look back at him. I don’t know his name and right now that’s exciting. As if it’s actually playing out in front of me he stands up from the table and hands me the notebook. Inside are countless pages filled with love poems and finally I look up from it. He smiles and his dimples are prominent. ‘’Jimin…’’ I haven’t thought of how he figured out my name. ‘’I’ve loved you since the moment I saw you’’ He says.

 

‘’What if he’s not even gay?’’ Jungkook mutters in Korean and the image fades away and he’s still sitting at the corner table. I sigh ‘’I’ve considered that’’ I retort. I look over at Jungkook who’s counting the drawer. Suddenly the stranger stands up and starts walking towards the counter pulling out his card and handing it to Jungkook.

 

I feel stuck to the ground and unable to move hoping Jungkook won’t say anything or even hint to anything. ‘’So..’’ Jungkook starts to speak in english ‘’The weather’s pretty bad out there; your girlfriend must be wondering where you are’’

 

He looks up at Jungkook and looks a bit bewildered and chuckles. ‘’No, I’m not seeing anyone’’ Jungkook hands back the card. ‘’Well have a good afternoon, then’’ Jungkook smiles and hands him the receipt. Jungkook turns to me after the stranger leaves the store; a mischievous smile on his face. ‘’Now we know he’s not dating anyone’’

 

I frown ‘’I told you, I wasn’t planning on making a move anyways.’’ I dottle over to the table the stranger was previously sat at; gathering up his used dishes. Suddenly my knuckles brush against paper, against.. A notebook? It must be his. I quickly flip through it only to find countless pages in english with keywords I can recognize. My body tenses, I need to give this to him, right?

 

‘’I-I’ll be right back!’’ I tuck it under my armpit, Jungkook attempts to ask me what it is I’m running off for but I miss his words as I run out the door into the bitter cold. It’s snowing out and I can just barely see a figure a few feet ahead of me ‘’Sir!’’ I run, my sneakers catching the ice causing me to fall, I yelp out in pain but I don’t let it stop me for long, I’m already chasing the figure once again ‘’Y-You dropped this!’’ I continue to shout in english but with no luck.


With the notebook still in my hand I count my cards and realize it’s best to go back inside, my knee aching with pain. Upon entering the store Jungkook gasps ‘’What happened?’’ He scurries around the counter towards me. ‘’He forgot this’’ I show him the possession and he nods ‘’If it’s really important he’ll be back’’ Jungkook shrugs ‘’Let’s just store it behind the counter and wait’’