3/9

Hit me with your cauldron pot!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was hard to ignore the scrutinizing and a tad too loud discussion ongoing among the professors.

Lest that she might prod her nose in it like a curious child or like how she would usually for matters concerning magical studies and any other things that pique her interest, Chaeyeon shuffled uncomfortably, jumping at the numerous sighs even Professor Mcgonagall had released.

Stationed at the corner of the Professor Dumbledore’s office, she kept her shaky eyes glued to the floor and not to the impromptu meeting the professors were holding infront of her.

She was doing herself a favour by not screwing her life up further, she successfully not eavesdropped the discussions although she’s dying to know what they have got for her after she had intentionally injured one of the students of Hogwarts.

Not just any student, but Miyawaki Sakura.

Absurd as it may sound, but this is a huge matter. This is a gargantuan kind of mistake that Chaeyeon committed which will unquestionably leave a black mark in her life, and will taint her (once) clean record forever.

‘Just because it’s her. Just...just because! What’s so good about her anyway?!’

She almost laughed remembering how swollen Sakura’s head became, but didn’t when she realised she is that idiot who had gone out of her mind and hauled cauldron pots into the latter’s head.

Just because she threw Lab equipments at Miyawaki Sakura doesn’t make this whole thing a crime! It’s just a small, unfortunate, harmless accident?...ugh! Chaeyeon doesn’t care! It’s not that bad!

So why does Chaeyeon get the feeling that she might end up in the prison of Azkaban?

Chaeyeon gritted her teeth, feeling how her chest burnt with rage, the previous guilt and remorse replaced with a hefty sense of anger, at both her and Sakura.

Chaeyeon didn’t know what had gotten into her, to exhibit such barmy, outrageous, arguably...ludicrous behaviour, she didn’t want to know why, there’s no reason for her to when she’s at the edge of being expelled. 

‘She didn't have to go out there telling me she's using me! It'd be better if she had kept silent about it.’

Chaeyeon’s eyes narrowed into slits recalling the appearance-wise harmless, charming smile on Sakura’s face. It’s annoying and frustrating, who knew under that pretty smile hid such disturbing intentions.

She wanted to banish that taunting smile from her memories, forever.

“Ms Lee Chaeyeon.” Professor Snape soundlessly moved towards her, his downturned features grew into a scowl, Chaeyeon immediately abandoned whatever inner unresolved kerfuffle rampaging in her and looked at him earnestly,

“We have came to the conclusion that we shall have Miss Miyawaki to decide your punishment.” Professor snape said snappishly, unfazed by the prominent disappointment and puzzlement written over Chaeyeon’s features. 

After an hours long of discussion and they came up with this ty decision?! 

“Why!?” Chaeyeon clenched her fist into balls, her petite body visibly shaking from the rage clouding her head,

“Who is she to decide my punishment?!” Chaeyeon rebuked indignantly, her mind fogged with anger, “Shouldn’t the school be taking these matters into their hands instead? Sakura is just a student like me—!”

“Please do not associate yourself with Miss Miyawaki in any way!” Snape interrupted curtly, his glare filled with absolute disgust and disdain, “And she’s not just another person, or witch, or like you. Mudbloods like you should never phantom involving themselves with the nobles.”

Chaeyeon’s eyes widened before they were squeezed into a glare, she’s proud of her bloodline, she’s....she’s never thought of herself any lower, thought of Sakura any more competent. To have her bloodline treated with total contempt make her want to punch Professor Snape in his face.

“Professor Snape!” Professor Mcgonagall intervened disapprovingly, shielding herself infront Chaeyeon who failed to hold back her hold tears, 

“I believe Miss Lee Chaeyeon need not to hear any of this, and she needs to head to the infirmary to meet Miss Miyawaki, so please excuse us.” 

Professor Mcgonagall’s intent gaze was fixated on Professor Snape for a moment which seemed like an eternity to Chaeyeon, because she just really wanted to leave, to breathe, to catch a break, to do whatever that can make her feel less of a turd.

“Ms Lee, let’s head to the infirmary, Miss Miyawaki would like to have a word with you.” Professor Mcgonagall faced Chaeyeon, an unreadable look on her face, and Chaeyeon quickly rubbed her eyes, matting her hair over her reddened face to hide her dour expression.

Chaeyeon didn’t look to much into her professor’s expression, she couldn’t even look at her in the eyes, knowing well that she had disappointed her.

But she’s not admitting that she’s wrong, after Sakura decried her worth, everyone’s worth. She jolly well deserved those pot smackings.

Flinching at the deep sigh that betrayed her professor’s lips, Chaeyeon pursed her lips to suppress another sob and obediently trailed behind her as she led the way to the infirmary.  

‘I will never apologise to her, never!’

 

 

————————————

 

 

“I’m truly sorry.” 

Chaeyeon stiffly bowed to the girl eloquently settled on the bed, gnashing her teeth as she tried hard not to pull her hair out of frustration while waiting for Sakura's approval, 

“Apology unaccepted.” A haughty reply was slapped back into her face, 

“Pardon?” Chaeyeon snapped her head up, scowling upon recognising the glint amusement in Sakura’s bright doe eyes,‘You said you’re going to accept this one!’

“It lacked sincerity, only if you’re really sorry, then I shall forgive you.” Sakura dead panned, unimpressed at Chaeyeon’s umpteenth attempt at apologising, it’s amusing that this could be the one thing that Chaeyeon at.

“I have to admit, you’re really bad at this.” Sakura smirked arrogantly, making Chaeyeon’s temper flinch at her blatant mocking, “You’re too obvious, too honest, too predictable.”

“Oh?” Chaeyeon scoffed, “Your highness, you must have mistaken my intentions, I am indeed offering you my sincerest apologies.”

“Chaeyeon.” Sakura sounded implausibly calm, and Chaeyeon’s heart hammered in her chest, she hated that Sakura still has that irresistible charm and effect on everyone, hex her not, seriously, Chaeyeon has had enough.

“You know you aren’t sorry.”

A sigh of defeat.

“Fine, I’m not, and I don’t need your forgiveness. This whole thing is ridiculous!” Chaeyeon bluntly admitted, which earned a sigh from Sakura too, “I’ll accept my punishments, for the fact that I’ve wrongly injured you, however, you shall never have my sincere apologies.”

“That’s fine.” Sakura shrugged, mindlessly adjusting the bandage pasted over her bruise on her head, ”So you’re willingly accepting your punishments?“

“Well, only if it gets me out of trouble?”

“There you go again, being too honest your thoughts, although I appreciate your honesty.” Sakura chuckled softly, catching Chaeyeon back in surprise,

“Really?” Chaeyeon rubbed her nape shyly, flashing an sheepish grin, “I’m sorry—wait!” Sakura choked out a snort, causing a mad blush to spread on Chaeyeon’s face.

“I’m not sorry at all!” Chaeyeon stomped her foot when Sakura broke out into a series of euphonious laughter, treating her facetiously again. Chaeyeon couldn’t remember what exactly triggered the violent reaction from which had led her into this predicament, but now she’s more annoyed by the fact that Sakura isn’t serious about this at all.

“I-I didn’t apologise, okay? I did not!” Chaeyeon mustered a fake cough, her face heated and reddened into a ripe tomato, Sakura leaned her chin onto the back of her hand and watched a fervent Chaeyeon stumbling over words with a soft smile. She was perturbed at how Sakura was so irritably composed and primly behaved. As a heiress of the Miyawakis, reputable and powerful, to be involved in such a ridiculous bickery could only bring down the Miyawaki’s name.

Sakura should be fuming! Shaking with anger! Whatever! Not watching her with such...tenderness....

‘What the hell?! Chaeyeon!’

“Can...can we just get over with this? I have an assignment left undone, I really want to sleep now and I haven’t fed feather yet.”

Formalities? Chaeyeon couldn’t uphold them now, not infront of Sakura when she already had thrown a tantrum at her and had seen it all. 

And Sakura was being oddly kind, patient and nice, which distressed Chaeyeon because she couldn’t understand her motive and she simply couldn’t accept the possibility that Sakura just wants to treat her that way.

“You seem like you really want to get away from me.” Chaeyeon froze when she saw Sakura’s darkened eyes, “Why?”

“Trust me, there’s too many reasons, one of them being the fact I’m a muggle-born, you’re a noble, we are different! Also, If you really want someone to boost your reputation, you should never in the world pick me. You should look for someone better, like Gryffindor’s pride, Kim Jongin and Irene Bae, they're the most renown 'anti-you' enthusiasts!"

There was a sharp intake of breath, Chaeyeon couldn’t believe she was telling Sakura, all of this, she was never vocal even to her closest friends, and now she’s baring herself raw to Sakura. What a drastic escalation.

It’s not just because she hates attention, or that detention really matters. 

“They are Hogwart’s bests! I'm not sure if they're the world's best, but they're definitely better than me! I...I’m nothing! Sakura! I’m just Lee Chaeyeon! You shouldn’t waste your time on me, when there’s people who’re literally dying to be in my place, there are people who will put up a bigger show, who will do better.”

Chaeyeon throat went dry when the brilliance in  Sakura’s eyes dimmed, why is she sad? It’s literally the Chaeyeon’s sole business, and isn’t all of this normal? Doesn’t she think this way too? Even Professor Snape thought of her lowly, why wouldn’t Sakura?

“I know you have a motive, whatever, I don’t need to know, but I’m telling you to leave me alone, you’re making a fool out of yourself by choosing me.”

Chaeyeon muttered wryly, averting her gaze else where, she felt guilty looking into Sakura’s eyes, fogged and dark. Chaeyeon couldn’t be sure but she must have done something stupid to upset Sakura, again.

Sakura however, retrieved whatever expression that is before Chaeyeon could identify the underlying emotions in it, replacing it with a flawless, polite smile. 

“You don’t.” Sakura whispered, presenting a vague and perplexing statement Chaeyeon didn’t understand,

“What?”

“You don’t actually think of me as superior, if you truly do, you wouldn’t dare to attack me when I have offended you, like you’re asking for a death wish.”

Sakura grinned helpfully, surprising Chaeyeon with the genuinity in it, 

“You’re a pleasant and talented witch, in ways no one else could be. I believe my investments on you won’t result in a futile outcome, so I really wish you can accept me as your rival, this is the one request I’m asking from you.”

Chaeyeon widened her eyes, that was.... hard to digest, did Sakura know what Snape told her? If not, how did she know the right words to comfort Chaeyeon?

But it’s not helping. One moment Sakura is  unabashedly admitting that she’s making use of Chaeyeon to achieve her ‘despicable’ goals, disregarding the fact that Chaeyeon had openly expressed her disapproval towards her advances. Much to Chaeyeon’s discomfort, her life turned inside out, upside down. 

Sakura didn’t live up to the only good impression anyone could offer to her.

Yet the instance Chaeyeon had decided to turn away from the latter, she proved herself to be the caring, compassionate Chaeyeon initially thought she is, making it excruciating difficult for Chaeyeon to walk out of Sakura’s life. Chaeyeon wanted to give her another chance, just another.

What do Sakura want from her? Just what? Just what could she offer to someone as good as Sakura?

“Chaeyeon...?”

“Just tell me what you want, Sakura. As long as you don’t expel me, I’m fine.”

Chaeyeon sighed, wildly gesturing her hands in exasperation. It’s hurting her head and her pride, to comprehend a witch so cryptic and mystical like Sakura, and then plummeting down into a fruitless pit.

Furthermore, it pains her eyes to stare at someone as ethereally beautiful as Sakura, so Chaeyeon had already given up on the the idea of understanding Miyawaki Sakura and her peculiar qualities. 

Just for now, maybe not in the future, she could live with this.

Chaeyeon tried not to notice how Sakura immediately brightened up, a gleam of happiness she had never seen before, gracing the serene features of Japanese witch,

“So you’re finally acknowledging me?” 

Thousand of bright stars twinkled in her dark eyes, illuminating a whole scenery in her clear orbs, similar to the beautiful night sky outside the window. 

“You can say that.” Chaeyeon blushed, averting her gaze away, side glancing at the vacant row of beds.

“Chaeyeon?” 

Chaeyeon couldn’t resist but tentatively looked back at Sakura, 

“I’m glad.” A grateful smile was directed to her, only her.

And suddenly, the blinding and emboldening sparkles were all Chaeyeon could see, sending tingles down her spine. Like the whole sky shifted, the stars in Sakura’s eyes flashed away, leaving faint light trails like a shooting stars, beautifully arched. Once again, she surprised herself with how absurd her delusions could be, because there’s no way, just no way anyone could look this enchanting, this surreally beautiful, she must have gone isane to see stars in someone’s eyes!

There was that strange sickly feeling churning of anticipation in her stomach.

“Let’s be rivals, real rivals.”

“Like I said, you will regret this.”

 

 

———————————-

 

 

Chaeyeon didn’t waste any time after leaving Sakura at the infirmary that night, she scurried to finish her homework, school curriculum wise.

It wasn’t like she usually spends her time in vain, but that was the day she finally felt like she’s studying for a purpose. 

There was another difference,

Times when Chaeyeon used her heart to feel grew increasingly frequent, and there were also occurrences when Chaeyeon had became incapable to think and hence made irrational decisions.

Chaeyeon couldn’t tell if that’s a good or bad thing.

But most importantly, She’s not just any normal witch! She’s officially Miyawaki Sakura’s rival now! 

Since Sakura has nicely asked of her to be and Chaeyeon has agreed, Chaeyeon is going to pour her heart and soul into claiming her victory!

It has been a few days after the visit at the infirmary, and Chaeyeon had done nothing but bury herself in an unhealthy amount of work, even a workaholic like her felt the strain in the increased workload, but she’s sure she will adapt soon.

She will definitely win, even Sakura said that she’s one of the most dedicated, talented and outstanding witch. Chaeyeon never thought of herself as special or unique, and she still couldn’t see those traits in herself. 

Albeit now she wants to see what Sakura has seen in her, such that she had held on even when Chaeyeon pushed her away.

Chaeyeon thinks she’s more confident in herself now because Sakura believes in her. (Or her investments, as what she had said.)

And perhaps, eventually, she will believe in herself one day.

The mountain of books was earning curious gazes and gossips, no one could see who’s behind those monstrous piles of  books, however, from the short legs swinging about under the table, anyone could tell she’s Lee Chaeyeon.

Between short intervals, she would pop a whole chocolate tart into a mouth and chew mechincally, her mind drifting off into solving complex, mind-wrecking magical concepts.

“Hey nerd Lee!”

Chaeyeon snapped out of her ruminations and looked up, watching Eunbi struggling see her over the wall of books, probably internally cussing herself to be too short,

“Hey Eunbi!” Chaeyeon was surprised upon the unexpected visitor, “What has brought you here?” 

“I have been entrusted this mission, to pass you an important message.”

Eunbi exclaimed in a condescending manner, supposingly mimicking someone Chaeyeon immediately recognised,

“Sakura?”

“No, it’s from your ‘dear rival’, as quoted by her.” Eunbi circled around the table and sat down beside Chaeyeon with a thud, casually flipping through a book strayed on the table, “She was smiling when she said it, can you believe it?! I have not ever seen her smile! It honestly creeps me out.”

‘But Sakura smiles all the time!’  Chaeyeon wanted to say, and her smile is not creepy, right?

“What did she say?” Chaeyeon remained cool, her voice void of the actual interest and anticipation she’s feeling,

“She wants you to meet her at the quidditch pitch now, I think she’s going to throw you off a broom” Eunbi exclaimed grimly, not a tint of humour in her tone, however, by the context of her words, it’s hardly believable that Eunbi is serious about this. Sakura surely won’t do anything as barbaric as this.

“Well, I can just fly away on another broom.”

“But you at flying, you’re gonna end up in the infirmary.”

“Very true, I almost failed my flying classes, and that isn’t a particulary nice recollection of the past.” Chaeyeon drew out her wand and flicked her wrist, lifting up the books around her with ease, Eunbi couldn’t hide the awe from her enlarged features as she saw all the books floating back to their shelves at once.

“All done! Now, thanks for passing the message! Eunbi! I will be heading off to meet her.”

Chaeyeon gripped onto the strap of her satchel tightly, beaming a delightful smile, giving Eunbi eye aches. Confusing Chaeyeon with a harsh sigh, Eunbi yanked her back onto the seat and shook her by her shoulders.

“Lee Chaeyeon! You’re acting weird!” 

“I’m acting weird?” Chaeyeon dug her fingers into her bag, flashing a sheepish grin in hope to wipe that distressing look off Eunbi’s face, “Perhaps I fell off the bed too hard, ha ha ha, ha ha...”

“You’re definitely acting weird!” Eunbi’s knitted her brows into a deep frown, a look of horror on her exaggerated expression, “You said you will never take up any challenges, let alone being associated with her!”

Oh. Chaeyeon dropped her jaw, 

Sakura wanted to challenge her to flying?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter