Seven

Seven Years to Forever

Harin and Haneul won. It was actually really close and they only almost died or were killed twice. They weren’t the only ones skilled in wandless and wordless spells, but they had the best teamwork in conjunction to their skills. Their skills completed each other in a way that covered their shortcomings. Harin had the sheer strength and physicalities while Haneul brought finesse and more of a willingness to severely hurt the competition to win. Haneul also knew the quickest trigger to get Harin willing to hurt somebody was to let herself get hurt first -- then it was like Harin was on a warpath and all the demons in hell were no match for her.

Beyond that, Harin was still a very popular witch, as terrifying as she could be. She made a lot of friends, a lot of people who rooted for her. Haneul was less popular, but she was very much just as respected. And somehow, she got to know Kwon Jiyong very well, after he had asked her to dance, seeing that no one was asking her (he didn’t realize she purposefully terrified any would-be suitors out of ever chasing after her again). He was impressed by her skills and ability to win and manipulate people.

And then he was impressed by her wit and the humorous side of her that she usually reserved for Harin and Jungkook.

“You don’t talk to many people.” Jiyong had commented.

“My sister is the sociable one. I’m the one who makes sure anyone who talks to her knows she’s not an easy target. She’s nice, but I’m very willing to remove anyone I see fit from her life.”

“And now she’s dating the only other person I’ve seen you hang out with.”

“It’s great. He’s been in love with her forever, and she’s had to have liked him for nearly as long -- she just didn’t realize it.” Haneul smiled fondly at her sister and friend dancing together happily.

“You trust him?”

“You, a politician, is asking if I, a front runner of this competition and sister to one of THE most popular witches, also a very powerful witch, thinks the only surviving and free Jeon is trustworthy. Makes a girl wonder what kind of power play you’re going to make or is in the works.”

“Or I could just be asking if you trust your sister’s new boyfriend. I’ve heard she’s rejected many suitors.”

“I’m no fool, Kwon Jiyong. Harin and I are twins that complete each other. She is nearsighted where I am farsighted. She protects from dangers near and in front of us. I prepare for dangers that have a further reach. The moment I knew my sister intended to take in the little Jeon as one of ours, I’ve spent years making sure I was ready for any threats to his life. I’m even more invested now that he’s the one who makes my sister most happy.”

“I’m glad we’re playing on the same side then.”

“I know we are.”

“You knew?”

“You approached me, not Harin. Harin is easier to fool if you wanted to hurt us -- I would’ve found out and made you pay, but still that would’ve been the way in. You came to me. I’m the twin that you’d go to if you have a plan that needs finesse and patience. If you need a stable player on your team, one who can and will play in politics and get their hands dirty, you go to me. And if you want my sister to play for a cause, you need me to support it. If what I’ve heard is true, then you need the wizarding world’s sweetheart to step up to the plate, and you need her sister ready to kill for your team.”

“There are people who… are unhappy.”

“I know. Having me and Harin around him and the other… less liked descendants protects them, but I know people struggle to accept them, especially outsiders. The Harin effect, what I call her ability to make people love her and being around her, is great to the extent of getting people to stop being aggressive to them, but it can’t erase the hatred in their hearts though she may valiantly try. So, tell me your plans. I’ll even give you another song.” She smiled, referring to the fact that their dance was nearly over.

Jiyong mirrored her smile. “I’m grateful for your generosity.” He glanced around to see if anyone was listening. He whispered a spell to keep their conversation even more private. If anyone tried to listen, they’d only hear them talking about mundane things like the weather. Haneul commented that she had created a similar spell when she was twelve with Harin. “You two are geniuses.” He laughed. “I really can’t compete.”

“Luckily for you, if the side you’re on protects Jungkook and Harin’s happiness, you won’t have to compete with us. So. Plans.”

“I like that you’re so straight to the point.” He grinned. “There is going to be an uprising soon. Much like the purebloods’ hatred of muggles and muggleborn, but reversed and a lot more targeted. As it will soon mark the 15th year since the Battle of Hogwarts, when babies that were a year old will soon graduate, like a reflection of Harry Potter, they want… People want anyone related to a Death Eater, no matter who or how old, to be put in prison. They want any of them stripped of their titles and money. There are even talks about enacting a death penalty in retribution for the lives their own families have lost. No trial, just punishment. There are people who have heard of the Jeon boy’s friendship to the Hufflepuff who is very popular and kind, your sister, and how he’s seeming to be living a good life. They don’t like it. They want him to one of the ones to suffer first. The Golden Trio and their Order are trying to work against this. As I’ve heard it, Harry Potter has made amends, and became friends with the Malfoys and believes this to be the stupidest idea he’s ever heard. I’m very inclined to agree. I don’t support a violent cycle of hatred. We’re still recovering from the heavy losses all those years ago.”

“So the intention is to use Harin as the public face.”

“Well, ideally, both of you, especially if you win.”

“Odds are in our favor to win.” Haneul shrugged. “Harin is the better choice. She’s so likable it’s almost disgusting. I’m too cold, and Jungkook is too shy -- you know, from all the hatred he’s used to receiving. It’s not very beneficial for his social skills. Harin can pull in a lot of people in the middle. It’s harder for her to have any effect on someone old enough to feel the loss of loved ones first hand though. What are your plans, then?”

“We’re creating safe houses. We’re strong, but we… we can’t fully protect from leaks and we can’t guarantee protection.”

“Lucky for you, we’re strong, and so is Jungkook. He’s always trained with us, and if the number of duels he wins for Harin counts for anything, it means he’s superior even when he’s holding back. He just doesn’t like to fight. He doesn’t like hurting people. Harin and I do it for him. If you want him to fight, Harin will have to be on the line. I can work behind the scenes and ensure security and protection for the safe houses. And for Harin’s happiness, I’ll withstand torture and death. The same goes for Jungkook. You can’t let Harin know anything. She’ll give it all up to protect us. Anyone who uses her to threaten me will die. Painfully. As you’ve noticed, I don’t need any wand or spells to win.”

“You’re so willing to be a part of this?”

“I’ve accepted my fate to be a part of this the first time I saw Harin smile at Jeon Jungkook and Min Yoongi on the Express our first year.”

“Noted.”

“So, with us, you’ve got, at the very least, the entire Hufflepuff house, and of course Slytherins, Kim Namjoon, who I’m sure you’ve already heard of because he’s a genius. Min Yoongi who is making a name for himself as well. Kim Taehyung and Park Jimin who are also generally well liked guys and recently won the European division for being caretakers for exotic and dangerous creatures. Kim Seokjin is a celebrity who feels like he owes it to Harin to be a better person. Jung Hoseok, the skilled medic wizard, dotes on Jungkook. Not to mention our mother’s side of the family, who were purebloods and many strong enough that no Death Eater had been brave enough to approach and die at their own risk. You’re going to have an army that will follow Harin to the ends of the earth.”

“It’s good to know you have that much faith in her pull.”

“It took the span of a few years for her to, essentially, single-handedly bring harmony and unity to Hogwarts where there was only bullying, tension, and hatred before. I’ve yet to find anyone who’s met Harin and hadn’t promptly fallen for her.”

“And yet she chooses Jeon.”

“She chose Jeon the moment she met him.”

“You really trust him? You don’t just accept him because he makes your sister happy?”

“He’s a good kid, and I like him. The first time he heard there were rumors there was something between him and my sister in our first or second year, he had panicked, got over his social phobia, and tried to get people to take it back. He didn’t want his reputation to taint hers. He knew she was too good for him. But, to be fair, she’s too good for all of us. All we can do is aspire to be worthy.”

“I like you.”

“I find you tolerable.” She smirked.

That startled a laugh out of him. “I’d like to work with you more on this.”

“I wonder how we can work that out. It’s not like you’re one of the spokespeople for the competition I’m in or anything. It’ll be so difficult to ever find time to talk to each other.”

“Well,” He rolled his eyes, “It’s not like just anyone can know that we’re talking to each other.”

“Oh, that makes it feel a little more scandalous.” Haneul smirked. “The beauty in being Harin’s twin is that I’m always with her, and there’s always an adoring crowd near her. It’s easy to find me. The true beauty, however, is that no one but her or Jungkook will notice if I slip away. Between my sister’s fame and Jungkook’s notoriety, I barely exist outside of the competition challenges. I like it that way. I’ve learned many techniques to keep my presence concealed or camouflaged.”

“And you trust me to be on the right side of things?”

“You don’t want people to hurt my sister or Jungkook. I don’t care about what is right. That’s Harin’s business. I care about them and my family. If you get them hurt, you’ll pay for it.”

“Alright. I’ll speak to you soon.”

Harin had teased Haneul for that (‘TWO dances! You danced with him for two songs!’ ‘I know.’ ‘And you looked like you got on so well.’ ‘He’s alright.’ ‘I feel like you should get to know him better.’ ‘Sure.’). Jungkook was mildly jealous, but didn’t say so. He was also the first to realize where Haneul kept sneaking off to, though he came to the wrong conclusion (‘Hey, he’s really cool, and it’s no secret that I’m a fan, but like… if he does anything you don’t like, don’t hesitate to tell me’ ‘Are you implying I can’t take care of myself?’ ‘No! It’s not like that! I just… I want you to know that I’ve got your back like you’ve always had mine.’ ‘It’s okay. I appreciate it, dork.’)

And people finally stopped badgering (heh, badger) Harin for dates since it was official that she was dating Jungkook. Some, of course, still challenged him because they thought he was unworthy. But Harin did something new (‘Before, to ask me on a date, you had to beat Jungkook. Now, if you want to challenge my personal life choices in who I choose to love and spend time with, you take that up with me, one on one. If I’m not available, you may attempt to challenge Haneul, but I’m the nice one.’) that changed a lot of perspectives on that matter.

They were having a great time together, learning how to be romantic and cuddly. Most of the time, they were the same as before. They just held hands all the time, and kissed a whole lot more (it took some practicing for them to figure out the mechanics of it all. Harin was too headstrong and he was too shy and careful). She made plans for him to meet her family, officially, finally. They wrote letters to their friends to let them know themselves that they were dating. They received responding correspondence in the form of very happy howlers from three, and two really short congratulatory messages from Namjoon and Yoongi (all of them ended their letters with ‘ing, finally. It was disgusting watching you two’).

The summer before their seventh year was different from all the ones before. They didn’t go on a prolonged family vacation. The twins brought Jungkook to celebrate and vacation together with their family for a week before they travelled from friend’s house to friend’s house as a trio. They got to dote on the new couple, and Haneul was able to sit their friends aside privately and discuss the upcoming plans and possible problems. She secretly met up with Seokjin on her own, he was harder to meet because he was so popular, but he made time for her. He listened to her cause and wholeheartedly agreed to support them. In interviews, he gushed about how his housemate and inspiration to be a better person, Harin, had recently won the competition and had found love in the sweet and polite boy he saw in his last few years at Hogwarts. He praised Jungkook and talked about Harin’s campaign to end hatred and bullying. It was pushing them in the right direction.

Jungkook handled the newfound attention with tons of uncertainty, but Harin was beaming with pride every time someone brought up the interview and talked to them about it when they went out and about in public. It was in those small interactions that they saw how sweet and endearingly shy Jungkook was for themselves. It helped that everyone was moved by how much love he had for Harin that he couldn’t even hide it when he looked at her or listened to her talk. It’s hard to hate someone so sweetly and sincerely in love. Or when Harin looked at him with just as much affection. There had to be a reason someone so good and kind loved the boy.

The twins kept being requested for interviews, but Harin let Haneul decide on those for them. Haneul eventually decided to let one interviewer get the exclusive on them. Min Yoongi was one of the editors, and the twins pushed for him to be in charge of okaying the interview to be published or not. Haneul wanted no chances for anyone to misprint or miss-quote them.

They talked about the competition, as expected, but then they talked about growing up and going to school. They talked about how they met, who eventually became their best friends over their school years, with Jungkook being at the heart of it. They talked about how bullying and hatred needed to be stopped because the cycle of violence would never end. Jungkook was sitting quietly in the back of the room, supporting them happily, when the interviewer asked for his take on things. The interviewer noted in their article ‘how pink this sweet-faced boy got when I asked him about how it felt to be dating the winner of the international scholastic competition’.

“I gotta ask, who asked who out? Who liked who first?”

“Oh, as the third party observer to everything, let me answer this.” Haneul smirked. “Jungkook was pulled in by her charm almost immediately on the train. He may not have been in love with her from the beginning, but it didn’t take long after that. Harin took him under her wing really quickly, and at the very least, their fate for friendship was signed when she saw him get bullied the first night. We had been warned that such situations might occur, but we didn’t know it would be so immediate. We have no tolerance for that behavior. I think she favored him the most at least by our third year, if not our second year. She was always the most at ease with him, but she didn’t realize she liked him like that until the start of our sixth year. As their friend and witness, it was frustrating to watch. He refused to ask her out because he doesn’t think he’s worthy of her and never wanted to burden her or ruin things, still doesn’t, and so eventually, after she realized her own feelings, and she literally tried to run from them because she didn’t want to ruin their friendship, she kissed him. I am told that it was him that technically asked her out first -- to the ball.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s the longest she’s ever spoken in her entire life.” Harin laughed.

“I’ve got 6 years of witnessing this. People need to know.” Haneul snorted. “Jungkook was so in love with you, he was content just being your shadow forever.”

“I’m too lucky and so unworthy of being so loved by someone so amazing.” Harin smiled adoringly at her very pink boyfriend. “Even our grandmother loves him -- our muggle side, even though his awe at all of the muggle technology was comical, she dotes on him more than she dotes on me.”

“And our grandmother dotes on her the most.” Haneul nodded. “Our father had tried to play the protective dad card, but Harin takes after our father, and if Harin likes him, it was inevitable that our father would too. Jungkook learned how to play the muggle sport of Rugby. Broke his arm almost immediately, but after that setback, he picked it up really quickly. Our dad had to confirm with me that he hadn’t used magic to play better -- and in case you’re wondering, he didn’t use magic. Jungkook’s just very athletically inclined.”

“His dream is to be a professional Seeker -- but if that doesn’t work out, dad says he’s got one hell of a bright future in Rugby.” Harin giggled.

The interview went on, and the article was published. People adored the two teenaged, half-blood witches who seemed so down to earth. It wasn’t hidden in the article that Haneul appears cold ‘because someone has to make sure Harin doesn’t make friends with someone who’ll take advantage of her. I’m the older twin. I’ve gotta watch out for her and protect her too kind heart.’ When they were approached in public, they already had the understanding that Haneul was more wary of people -- but that was rarely an issue with how people naturally gravitated towards Harin.

They set aside a week to stay at Jungkook’s, where Yoongi would also join them for a week. He always took a week off to go to Azkaban with Jungkook to visit their family. Finally, Harin got Jungkook to agree to let her go with him.

It went… not too badly. (It went pretty badly)

They met Yoongi’s father first (his mother had died in childbirth), and he was quiet. But he seemed a bit happier to see his son with friends. He (as Jungkook had told the twins he did every year) had apologized for making a decision that resulted in him leaving his sons alone. His older brother never visited their father, and rarely talked either of them if ever.

Jungkook’s parents weren’t as… open. They met his brother first. There was a huge age difference between them (Jungkook’s mother was their father’s second wife, and his brother was from their father’s first marriage). They weren’t close, as was expected since Jungkook had only been one when they had been locked away. His brother, Junghyun seemed almost amused when they told them that Harin was from Hufflepuff and that they were half bloods.

“I knew she seemed like the sincere type, but damn. A half-blooded Hufflepuff? Did you bring a camera because I’d like to see how dad and your mom react. They haven’t changed, Jungkook. Not one bit.”

Jungkook seemed to cave into himself, making himself smaller, “I didn’t think they would. I didn’t want to bring her here. She doesn’t deserve to hear what they’re gonna say to her.”

Junghyun sighed. “You can’t even cast a silencing charm on them. Why did you bring her? Why do you even visit? Just live your life like we don’t exist. It’s better for you that way.”

“I’m a Jeon.” Jungkook frowned. “Though I may not be proud, I cannot forget where I came from. And I brought her because she’s a lot more stubborn than I am.”

“If they hate me for who I am, then they hate me. I just know that I don’t want Jungkook to ever see his family without my support ever again.”

“God, she’s disgustingly sincere.” Junghyun grimaced.

“It’s endearing.” Jungkook grinned.

“It’s pretty gross sometimes.” Haneul snorted. Harin stuck her tongue out at her twin.

“She’s tough though. Strong. They both beat the best two students from every school in the world in the international scholastic competition this year.”

“Yeah, she looks stronger than you.” Junghyun smirked. “But you also look stronger with her by your side. Ugh, her niceness is rubbing off. Get it away from me.” Junghyun stood up and made his way out. “Good luck and don’t take anything they say to heart.”

Jungkook’s parents weren’t so easily talked to. Even before they could say a word, they sneered at Jungkook for bringing girls with them. It only got worse when their suspicions that he was dating one of them was confirmed.

“I would’ve liked to ease into this and win you over, but I’ve been assured that that just might never be possible.” Harin spoke up clearly when she saw Jungkook getting verbally beaten down. “I love your son. I’ve known him for 6 years, and I continue to find more things to love about him. Now, let’s get to the point. My mother is Geum Haewon, second in line to the Geum family title and fortune.”

“That’s a good family. Strong.” Jungkook’s father commented. “I had tried to marry your mother before I met her.” He nodded over at Jungkook’s mother. “She fell in love with a muggle instead. Disgusting and wasteful.”

“Do not speak of my parents like that. They may have stripped all of us of our ability to use magic, but before I knew how to use my magic, I used my fists and I’m very good at that.” Harin smiled coldly at them. “So, yes, my sister and I are half blooded. She’s a fellow Slytherin housemate, and I am a proud Hufflepuff.” Cue derisive comments on her character. She held up a hand to stop the other three from stepping up to defend her honor. She spoke up with strength in her voice, unafraid and unashamed. “Say what you want, but it is what it is. I love your son, and so long as we love each other or there is air in my lungs, I will be a part of his life. Now, if you have anything else that isn’t negative about myself, my sister, Yoongi, or Jungkook, say it now. Otherwise, we will enjoy the rest of our vacation. I am a Hufflepuff, but I am not weak, and you do not scare me.”

“It’s true. There are pictures of her killing a kraken with her bare hands.” Yoongi grinned from the back. “I can ask the guards to show you all of the articles on just how scary Harin can be.”

“Let’s not forget about me.” Haneul stepped forward now. “She’s a Hufflepuff, I’m proud of her, and she’s strong and great and normally quite kind. I, on the other hand, am a Slytherin. Sure, you can have some nice Slytherin kids, like your son. He’s actually incredibly nice. But you know how we Slytherins can be, especially about the things and people we care about. At first, that only meant my family and Harin. Now that extends to Yoongi and Jungkook. On your comments to Harin alone would merit me making your life even more miserable than it already is. If you keep treating Jungkook this way, you’ll see why Harin has been able to live her life so carelessly and happily. She’s not afraid of you, but she won’t hurt you -- she pities you too much to hurt you.” Haneul leaned over the table menacingly. “But you should be afraid of me, because I will easily go to Azkaban for her and those she cares about. Killing you would be nothing to me. You’re pests to be exterminated if you make my precious sister unhappy. Now, think carefully before you decide whether or not you have anything more to say to my sister or my friends.”

They wisely kept their mouths shut and the four left the island.

“I should’ve realized you two weren’t going to go in ready to be defeated.” Yoongi laughed on their way back to the Jeon manor.

“I’m sorry if I made things worse.” Harin apologized to Jungkook guiltily. “I asked Haneul to tell me if there was any chance they’d ever like me. When she told me they would never, and that they had always been mean to you -- she can tell these things -- I could not stand for it. I don’t care who they are. Being mean to you is never tolerable.”

“It’s okay.” Jungkook smiled. “That kind of stuff is why I fell for you. Plus, it’s kinda cool seeing you and Haneul shut them up.”

“No kidding.” Yoongi grinned. “If I knew you guys would be so effective and badass, I’d have brought you two along years ago.”

Their return to school was normal, and they were excited to be in their last year of school. Haneul was going off on her own more than before, and she was writing many letters (with encrypted and coded messages). Harin just figured it was to Jiyong (she was right, but for the wrong reasons). When the three still met for secret training together (reduced to once a week from the original daily), Haneul’s focus was on protection spells and being able to uphold an impenetrable defense, and if she wasn’t having Harin and Jungkook practice attacking her incessantly, she was creating new spells and toying with new concepts/theories for defensive tactics.

Jungkook was surprised by how benevolently everyone was treating him. What with all of the public endorsements of his character, people were finally completely opening up to him as more than just his name or just the twins’ best friend. They were noticing him for his own merits in class and acknowledging his dueling prowess (because crushing all of Harin’s suitors was something many had been disregarding for a long while). They smiled at him in the hallway sometimes. He didn’t know how to respond, so he still kept his head shyly ducked from all of the attention.

Harin was ecstatic by the upgrade in treatment by their peers, proudly holding his hand everywhere and talking to people together (she talked, he stood beside her quietly). People were truly cheering him on in quidditch matches now, and their relationship added to their already intense rivalry on the pitch. Their numerous practice matches had already been popular before, but people were growing ever increasingly more interested.

But it wasn’t so simple -- it wasn’t going to be easy. Of course it wasn’t going to be easy.

The whispers Haneul had been hearing for years now was finally making its way around to other students and staff. A lot of people were on edge and the tension was palpable. Just because Harin could convince everyone she met face to face that hatred was not the way, just because all of their classmates their age had found peace, it didn’t mean the rest of the wizarding world felt the same. In between articles about the message of moving forward as one strong community to grow from the tragedy of the past, there were articles about a new political wizard group, The Stand of Mourners, that called for retribution to be paid by all families of Death Eaters. Jungkook was receiving letters from Yoongi, warning him to stay safe, but not to worry because he wouldn’t let anyone hurt him.

And it wasn’t so bad. Everyone in school was reassuring the family members of Death Eaters that Hogwarts had changed, that they were proof people could learn to move past the pain and stop hating needlessly.

But that couldn’t account for The Stand coming straight to Hogwarts to ‘speak’ to Jungkook directly suddenly one day during dinner.

“As you all know, the Jeon family were all high ranking Death Eaters who have killed many of our, yours included, families. Innocent lives were lost. Do not be fooled by these murderers though they wear the masks of your peers. They have hatred in their bloods, and if we do not act now, nothing will protect us from them in the future. We must do what we can to preemptively protect our families from such a future danger. I have heard the stories of the last Jeon heir fighting and near-killing other students for a girl -- the kind and talented Kang Harin. Such a monster is unused to not getting their way, and we can see that in how he forces himself upon the sweet Hufflepuff student! For your safety and the safety of our future, we will lock the Death Eater away!”

“You can’t be serious.” Harin and Haneul stood up together. “Hi, I’m Kang Harin, the sweet Hufflepuff that he most certainly is not forcing himself upon. It’s not even a secret that I’m stronger than he is.” Harin stepped forward. “And call him a Death Eater or monster one more time, and I’ll show you how sweet of a duelist I am. Between myself, Haneul, and Jungkook, Jungkook is the weakest and kindest duelist. He’s non-violent. In regards to your claims that he has fought other students for me, well, that’s my fault. I asked him to duel people who wanted to ask me out, and if he lost, they could ask me out. This was while we were just friends. And if we’re going to look at technicalities of who made a move on who without consent, that would be me. I’m sorry, I’m just such a monster. For your safety, you should back off from Jeon Jungkook.” All the while during her tirade against the venomous claims of the older man, she stormed forward until she was toe to toe with him. She wasn’t as tall, but she carried with her such an indomitable force.

The headmaster nodded and stood between them. “You will not be taking any one of my students, and you should know better than to make such egregious, false claims about a student who has never caused trouble for the school. We knew about the duels, but as Kang states, Jeon had always gone easy and made sure not to seriously hurt anyone though he has always been powerful and skilled enough to keep up with the Kang twins, the winners of the international scholastic competition. You and your party of hatred can find your own ways out.”

“Not without the Death Eater.”

Harin glared and claws formed around her hands. “I told you not to call him that, and I’d like to see you try and take him.”

“Harin, that will not be necessary. Go sit with Jungkook.” ‘And make sure that he and the others are safe, no matter what’ the second half of the request was unspoken, but heard all the same.

“Yes, Headmaster.” Harin bowed her head and made her way over to her sister and boyfriend. “They won’t take you.” She promised Jungkook. “You’ve done nothing wrong, and we will protect you and everyone else.”

“She’s right. We can’t let them take you. If they take you or a Malfoy, it’s… it’s a sign they can take anyone they want. We protect you to protect everyone.” Haneul frowned. “I didn’t think they’d make this move though. It’s idiotic, and it wouldn’t have worked in a million years.”

“They’re not getting him.” Harin held on tightly to Jungkook’s hand, cold and shaky. She covered both of his hands in her warm and steady ones. “Don’t worry. You’ve got us.”

“I don’t want you guys to get hurt because of me though.” He gulped audibly. “I’d rather go to Azkaban with my parents than to see you guys get hurt.”

“1. Don’t underestimate us. 2. Don’t underestimate who else is on your side. No one in this school will turn against their classmates -- not when Harin’s whipped them into shape.”

“She’s right. We’re united.” A Slytherin near them nodded.

The Stand left, but they knew it wasn’t going to be the end of things. They may have been idiotic, but they were gaining a following. Letters were flooding the Headmaster to call for Jungkook’s head on a platter. That was nothing compared to the garbage people were sending directly to Jungkook and some other family members of Death Eaters. The rest of the Slytherin house had taken it upon themselves to intercept his mail and sort through them first. The Ravenclaw house then took it upon themselves to make a more efficient method of sorting out his mail. The Hufflepuff house in turn just wrote everyone really positive and disgustingly uplifting letters and sent baked goods. The Gryffindor house… they were practicing dueling and preparing for a second Battle of Hogwarts -- the Battle for Jeon as they had jokingly called it. Jungkook was embarrassed, but Harin had taken it upon herself to help them, and anyone else who wanted it, with training.

Haneul was calling forth the Order to discuss what would be the next steps. She could feel something brewing in the air, and she didn’t like it. She felt like something bad was going to happen, something that might be too much for even her to handle.

And it did happen.

The Stand and all of their followings started banging at the doors of Hogwarts, screaming Jungkook’s name.

“Stay with me.” Harin told Jungkook. “They can’t take you from me.”

“I’m calling mom.” Haneul pulled out a spelled compact mirror from her pocket and sent a message through it to their mother. It glowed pink to show the message was properly received. “I’ve got a few others to call. Keep him safe.” Haneul yelled at them over her shoulder as she quickly sent out the message to others of the Order. Immediately appearing behind the party members of The Stand outside of the gates of Hogwarts were members or supporters of The Order or just generally of Harin’s.  

The Headmaster stood at the head of the staff and students who met the Stand at the gates. The crowd grew angry when they saw Jungkook standing behind Harin. The members of the Order and the fellow supporters were ready to prepare for war behind the crowd.

“Let us in! Give us Jeon!”

“I will not. You should leave and re-evaluate your life choices if you’re demanding to kill an innocent boy.”

“You are no better than Death Eaters. You demand he be killed for his family. Was that not what happened to the muggle born? Was that not the same logic?” Harin glared at the angry mob. “You demand more violence and more hatred. When will it end?”

“He’s a monster!”

“He’s done nothing wrong!” Harin screamed back.

“He’s brainwashed you -- put a spell on you! Fooled you!”

“I may not be as cunning as my sister, but it is not so easy to fool the both of us. For one, I’m a little tough to put a spell on. Two, Haneul’s really hard to fool. It’d be great if people could stop assuming he’s strong enough to force himself into my life. I forced myself into his life, and we’ve dueled each other thousands of times over the years and he’s never beaten me or Haneul.”

“To be fair, it’s been a very long time since anyone has beaten either of you.” The Headmaster bit back a smile at Harin.

“That’s true.” Harin shrugged. “And Jungkook doesn’t like talking to people. To fool us, you’d have to have at least some social skills. Jungkook, do you have any social skills?”

“No. As you keep reminding me.” He grimaced. “But… I’m trying… to talk to people, not fool people. Oh god.”

“Oh. Wow, look at that. So awkward. That monster is laying down the tricks to fool us. Heathen. I’m so scared.” Harin rolled her eyes. “Now, I love him -- so much that I will not hesitate to take all of you out -- but I know what he is and isn’t capable of. You all are bumbling buffoons if you think he’s deserving of your hatred and wrath.”

“I’m really sorry for what my family has done. But they’re family. I’m not proud of them, but I mustn’t forget where I’ve come from -- but it doesn’t mean I’ll follow in their footsteps.”

“Speaking of family. Ours is here.” Haneul floated and neatly landed on the other side of Jungkook.

Their mother, the famous Geum Haewon, popular author and renowned former auror, pushed her way through the mob, followed by the rest of their entire wizard half of the family. “You threaten my daughters’ friends, you threaten my daughters. You threaten my daughters, you threaten the entire Geum family.” She glared at the men at the forefront of the mob. “You festering maggots better think clearly before you speak another word.”

“Hi mum!” Harin grinned and waved.

“Not the time, Harin.” Haneul barked out a laugh.

“Sorry.” Harin smiled sheepishly.

“The Geum family is strong, but you have clearly been fooled by Death Eaters.”

“Are you accusing me and my family of being stupid and weak enough to fall for the parlor tricks of a boy?” Haewon sneered. “I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Jeon Jungkook, and he is kind and sincere. The Stand of Mourners… I respect your pain, but to bring forth more pain is not the way to go. Harin has it right when she advocates for a movement towards peace and growth.”

The man raised a wand to Haewon’s face.

“Idiot.” Haneul rolled her eyes.

“Is this a challenge?” Haewon smirked.

“I am ready to die for our cause!”

“I should hope so. But you won’t be fighting me. It is Harin’s boyfriend and best friend you’re trying to take. It has been her all this time you have been accusing to have fallen under his spell and tricks. It’ll be her you battle, for the Geum and Kang family name. Is that alright with you, honey?” Haewon asked her daughter.

“Happily. And I won’t be going easy. This is not a lesson and you do not deserve my mercy. I’ve met the Jeons in Azkaban, and Jungkook is nothing like them. I pledge myself to him, as friend and protector. He may not forget where he comes from as a Jeon, but he has a place in the Geum family.” Harin smiled coldly at the men and used her magic to temporarily melt through the protective forces at the gate. The headmaster would be concerned by the sheer skill amd power of the student if she didn't know her so well. “I do not take threats to his well being lightly.”

The duel started normally, but Harin casted her wand aside immediately. She blasted pure magic at the spell, but used a technique Haneul was much more skilled with. She made the magic seep in and disrupt the man’s system. Magical Oppression as they liked to call the trick. It wasn’t long before he keeled over.

“He’s alive, but barely.” Harin told the audience. “Who’s next? I can go all day.” No one stepped forward. “Come on. If you want to take Jungkook, you’re going to have to get through me first.”

“You’d protect a Death Eater?”

“No. I wouldn’t protect his parents from a papercut. I’d protect Jungkook, innocent of your accusations, from the world.”

“Then prepare to die!” They all charged forward and it was an all out battlefield then.

Haneul dragged Jungkook back to the school. “This is the perfect chance for them to grab you in the mess of things. We have to get to to a safe place.” She brought him to the kitchens, where Jiyong, Hermione Granger, and the two Malfoys were waiting. “They’ve started to fight, but there’s no way the mob will win. Not with Harin and our mother fighting side by side. Mother prefers books, but that doesn’t change the fact that she’s one of the toughest witches in the country.”

“You don’t want to be out there fighting with them?” Hermione asked.

“My place is keeping Jungkook safe and alive so Harin can fight. We discussed that point of the plan long ago. One of us fights, the other defends.”

“I can fight too.” Jungkook frowned. “If they’re fighting for my head, I should be fighting too.”

“You’d distract Harin. You can fight, we know you can, but we’re not letting it come to that.”

“Is it right to have children fight like this?” Narcissa Malfoy asked.

“Didn’t you all do the same?” Haneul asked. “It’s the unfortunate truth of war.”

Haewon was the first to notice something about the mob was changing during the battle. Something was off. Haewon motioned for her daughter to quiet things down. Harin pulled all the magic in, and then forced it out and down, subduing everyone but herself and her mother.

“What?”

“There are less of them.” Haewon looked around. “There are less of them here.”

“What do you mean?”

“The men at the front -- most of them aren’t here.”

Harin looked for a face she remembered seeing at the front of the group and finally found one after realizing her mom was right. She used her magic to pull him close.

Haewon whispered a truth-telling spell to the man, but it only worked for yes or no questions. “Did the men leave?”

“Yes.” He gritted out.

“Did they make it into the building?”

“...yes.”

“Are they going after Jungkook?”

“Yes.”

“Figured.” Haewon nodded at Harin. Harin stepped forward and rested a hand over the man’s forehead and pushed magic into his system. He dropped. “Put them all out. We need to get to Jungkook first.”

“I’m going to need your help with some faces.” Harin sighed and started sorting and moving the members around to know who to set free and who to put out.

Haneul felt one of her marking spells vibrate in her pocket. “Someone’s coming.” Soon they could hear them outside. She had worked with Hermione and Narcissa to create a force field that shielded their presence from anyone who looking into the kitchens. Everyone had to remain severely quiet still though.

But it was unnecessary. Jungkook snapped his fingers methodically, pulses of magic fleeing it steadily, and put the intruders all under an illusion that they were all at home, in bed, and extremely sleepy. It didn't take him long to put them out. Everyone looked impressed. “... I'm weaker than the twins. Doesn't mean I'm weak…

“We gotta go.”

“And leave Harin? I’d rather just give myself up to the Stand.”

“Don’t be so melodramatic. We need to get you to a safehouse. Harin knows.”

“That’s nice, but I’m not leaving without her.”

“That’s nice, but I wasn’t asking. We’re going.”

“I know you’re stronger than me, but I’m not going without a fight.”

“You’ll fight me? That’s cute, because I will bring you to the brink of death if I have to. Are you willing to do the same?”

“You forget that I’m also a Slytherin.”

“Then stop acting like an idiot.”

Harin rushed in, jumping over the sleeping bodies with their mother. “What? Why are you all still here?”

“Jungkook refuses to leave without you.”

“Cute, but not the plan. We need to stick to the plan. Go.”

“I can’t just leave you!”

“Jeon Jungkook. I adore you more than all the puppies in the world. That’s a lot. I love puppies. But I will punch you in the face and knock you out. You are going. I’m sorry, but this is bigger than my love for you. There are so many lives on the line.”

“Then let me fight too!”

Haneul snorted, "If you so much as sneeze in their direction, they’ll call you a murderous bastard.”

“They already do.”

Harin sighed heavily, trying to emotionally push the boy into following the plan, “You will fight when and if you have to. This is hardly going to be the end of it. Going to the safehouse won’t be the end. It just buys us time for me to take as many down as possible while you’re safe.”

“And then what? You completely exhaust yourself and they take you out?”

“Don’t underestimate my mother. Also, don’t forget that Haneul can’t fight either.”

Haneul nodded, “I have to play defense so Harin can play offense. It’s annoying, but it’s also not a guarantee that we won’t be seeing any action on our end either.”

“I’m not leaving Harin.”

“Then switch,” Haewon groaned. “You’re wasting too much time. Haneul plays offense while Harin plays defense.”

Harin hesitated, displeased, “I’m better at offense.”

“Well you’re all useless if you all don’t follow the goddamn plan!”

“Yes mother.”

“Haneul, take no mercy. If they hurt you, they’ll have hell to pay with me.”

“I know. Take loverboy to the safehouse. Stay alive.”

“Of course.”

It was quiet at the safehouse. It was grim, even with Harin’s sparkling aura. Harin sat at the center, periodically sending her eyes out to scan the perimeter. Namjoon and Yoongi were there at the safehouse. All the proper passwords were said.

It was boring, but Harin didn’t seem to mind it. She laughed while teaching Jungkook how to cook like a muggle. Yoongi was laughing at him too, until she made him try as well. It was a disaster. It made everyone crack a smile as the two bickered with her about logic and cooking. They tried to have Namjoon teach them, after all, he was one of the best tutors while they were all in school. Harin was quick to intervene for everyone’s safety.

“Namjoon isn’t allowed to step foot into the kitchen. I panicked every time I knew he was going to potions. We are lucky we have magic because he destroyed our home so many times just trying to made simple dishes. I still don’t know how he burned down our kitchen from making a sandwich.”

“It was an accident,” The highly esteemed wizard whined.

While they were sipping their tea, Harin’s perimeter check spotted newcomers. Dangerous newcomers.

“They’re here.”

“What?”

“Yep?”

“That fast?”

“That fast.”

“So what now?”

“Those who can, protect those who can’t. Namjoon and Yoongi, keep the protection spells up. Jungkook, you’ve got my back. Only my back. If you take one step in front of me, I will panic and they’ll get me and I’ll die. Got it?”

“Got it.”

Harin went for the most efficient method. Magical oppression. She flooded the air with her magic and then dragged them to their knees, choking their throats, clogging their minds. Their flow was disrupted ruthlessly. Jungkook fluttered through it all with his magic and put them all to sleep, binding them and suspending them up in the air. Together they took twenty men down in the matter of seconds.

It was too easy compared to last year’s tournament.

Yoongi yawned, “What should we do with them?”

“Take their memories and send them far, far away is what Haneul was planning.”

“That’s what I was thinking,” Jungkook nodded and before anyone could stop him, he was already done wiping them. He really wasn’t as weak as people assumed. He was quick, also adept at wandless and wordless magic, and not afraid of doing what needed to be done, so long as he wasn’t hurting or disappointing Harin.

Harin put the unconscious bodies all in protective bubbles and let Jungkook push them all in different directions. The bubbles protected them from falling to their death, eventually dissipating over time.

A week. It took a week for it to be over. For the call for them to come out of hiding was made. They had 4 more attempts on their safehouse. They were all so quickly taken care of that it wasn’t even fun. There was no thrill. No adrenaline. It was good but they felt it was too anticlimactic.

Jungkook grinned at his best friend, “Harin’s just too strong.”

Haewon came alone to meet them, limping, but alive.

“Mum!”

“Your sister…”

That stopped her cold, “What?”

“She’s built for defense, not offense. She was amazing out there, and she did what you would have. She took on the brunt of the fight. She did most of the work, but she got hit.”

“Take me to her.”

“She’s still in surgery.”

“Take me to her!”

“She won’t want you to see her like this.”

“Fine, if you won’t tell me, I’ll find her myself.”

It was a useful spell. They created the spell together to always be able to find each other. They used it during the competition whenever they were separated. It took very little effort to find her sister, and even less effort to make it to her. They wouldn’t let her into the room where they were healing her, and she knew better than to fight that particular battle. She waited impatiently just outside instead. No one dared to go near her. Reporters fled when she threw magic at them, not that it wasn’t already rolling off her in droves. That was a problem when you were so strong. There was just too much to constantly keep under control.

Jungkook quelled her magic for her. He made her magic dissipate harmlessly. He was so used to her magic that it saw him just as much its owner as she was. The same could be said about his own magic and Haneul’s. The three of them were intertwined.

Which is how they knew Haneul was okay. They could still feel her magic. It was weak, but there. They just had to wait.

Haneul made it out of surgery successfully, but not without complications.

Haneul would never be able to walk again, what with her right leg completely out of commission. “That’s fine, I hate moving anyway,” Haneul waved the doctors off. “What matters is my brain and my magic.”

“Essentially unharmed.”

“Alright. Then we’re good. Any other notable injuries?”

“Well we were able to heal your left arm and shoulder--”

“I wasn’t asking about me. I’m talking about the others.”

“No, honey. They’re fine for the most part. You protected everyone well,” Haewon grinned at her daughter.

“Good. Harin would’ve done a better job…”

“I would, but only because I’m meant for explosions. Not you,” Harin choked out, falling over her sister’s lap.

“You protected everyone at the safehouse?”

“Yeah, they’re all fine.”

Haneul smiled softly, a smile so sweet and genuine that it was only ever reserved for Harin’s eyes. “Then we did good, sis.”

Harin nodded brightly, “We did.”

“Let’s see how long this will last though.”

Harin frowned at her sister’s trademark pessimism, “We can’t lose hope that the world will heal.”

“You can hope; I’ll expect the worst.”