❦oo1❦

[Hiatus] Stupid Cupid
Please log in to read the full chapter
❦ Chapter 1 ❦

Park Sunhye and Kim Jihoon’s names were painted prettily upon the thick small card, the words gleaming in a sparkled pink. They were my latest mission. 

They had been around each other their whole lives and yet had no idea they were meant to be, they didn’t even know the other existed. In kindergarten, Sunhye had accidentally given Jihoon the flu and they both missed a good week of school as a result. In Elementary school, Jihoon and Sunhye had classes together but never really interacted, they just could recognize the other without placing them. In Middle School, Jihoon‘s best friend tried dating Sunhye and dragged Jihoon into his schemes. Jihoon didn’t play along, further keeping the two apart. Then High School came and their schedules were completely different, they just knew each other as a passing face in the hall. 

Now they somehow wound up at the same University and still hadn’t fallen in love, hadn’t had some wistful run-in with each other that sparked something more. It was a fun case, more fun than most the ones I got as a Soulmate Cupid. I was grateful it wasn‘t passed to Baekhyun, though for it to be his case they would‘ve had to have known each other intimately since childhood. 

He had an interesting task, a bit more interesting than mine. He got to follow them as they grew; he got to watch their relationship develop from friendship to something more. His was a journey, mine was lighting a match at the end of a line of oil and letting sparks fly as I sent them off. My missions were quick and sweet. Though seeing the couples get all lovey-dovey and completely entranced was always a joy. Hearing Baekhyun brag about his missions was not a joy. 

Though I mean, I couldn‘t complain. At least I wasn‘t apart of the learning department. They had to deal with the breakups, the relationships that were meant to be lessons to those involved and sometimes abuse. I was lucky in that sense, I got the pink cotton candy sugary love, they got the dark angsty romance that wasn‘t ever really romance and they were the ones who incited it. I couldn‘t imagine being ok with doing that, but hey I didn’t have to live with those thoughts I was a lucky Cupid. 

I pocketed the small little paper and watched quietly. My bare feet brushed the rough, pebbled walkway that branched out from the massive glass front of Seoul University. I couldn‘t feel the roughness, I just assumed it was there—I had to assume most things. I mean Cupids weren‘t exactly of the Human world and so we didn’t feel the world or experience it the way they did we didn‘t even really eat or use the bathroom. 

To be honest, toilets were kind of scary. I mean the humans just hit a lever and the loud whooshing sound was enough to set my feathers on edge. Yes, that was the one thing tales about us got semi-right. We had wings, they just weren‘t tiny minuscule things that looked too small for our bodies. Ours were large enough to carry our weight, they were white and pure stretching out several feet. They were muscled and elegant. We were like geese but like, not geese.

I mean for one, I didn’t have a weird, hard orange beak protruding from my face, and I didn‘t squawk at people if they walked past me. I also didn’t flap my wings threateningly to make myself look bigger, besides I don‘t think it would work on a human figure. Then again, I never tried it. 

Note to self: Flap wings at Baekhyun threateningly and see how he reacts. 

Anyway, where were we? Oh yeah, in front of Seoul University. 

The trees and shrubs that decorated the campus rustled as though they were being touched by a cool breeze. I didn’t know, of course, I couldn‘t even feel that, though I had heard of breezes and wind. I got to see its invisible hand at work often. The ruffling of the green leaves was enough to hint at it being a cool summer night. The sky above was darkened and freckled with specks of light. The campus was lit in random spots with towering light poles, the glass front of the school was darkened as well except for a few lights. They let those outside know people were still residing inside, probably late study groups or those who had nothing to go home to—it was weird to think about as most humans might be resting at home by now.

At least from what I had observed. We didn’t really need sleep. We worked day and night with little breaks here and there, we didn‘t even really eat. I stepped forward and slipped through the glass, the sensation tickled a bit as it always did and I was on my way. The campus was one I knew decently enough, though I didn’t need to bother with halls, locks, or any barrier humans would have to deal with so that made it a bit simpler. 

It also helped that most soulmates wound up together in college and this was a frequent haunt of mine, to say the least. Though based on the fresh and shining wood flooring, they had definitely done some renovations since I last showed up. The walls were covered in new paintings, and articulate sketches that had student names plastered next to them. It had to have bee

Please log in to read the full chapter