final.

Here We Are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atmosphere is thick with excitement. The music pounds through the club, hyping up the people on the dance floor. Your mind is becoming cloudy as intoxication takes over. Air. You need air.

The alleyway behind the building isn’t nearly as crowded, just a few people taking a break from the chaos inside. You lean against the cool bricks to catch a clean breath. Eyes shut, your body relaxes into the hardness of the structure. It’s nice to step away from girls’ night out. Your friends have tried to drag you out of your rut, but a man’s temporary affection isn’t going to soothe the calloused pain that has accumulated over the years.

“Are you okay?”

You look to the man smoking a few feet away.

“You look a bit drained.” He smiles a familiar smile.

“Joonmyeon?” You squint at his facial features.

“Been a while, hasn’t it?” He laughs, dropping the cigarette under his boot and crushing it against the cement.

“Yeah… It has.”

“You look good.” He compliments as his eyes gaze you up and down.

An embarrassed smile breaks out on your face, “Thanks.”

“Mhm,” He hums, “I’m not really feeling this place either.”

“What makes you think I don’t want to be here?”

“Well, for starters, you’re out here by yourself. Your friends probably don’t even know you’ve snuck off. You don’t want them to know you’re having a bad time.”

You nod slightly, “You’re right… Tonight was supposed to be ‘super fun,’ but I honestly would rather be at home.”

“Still a homebody,” He grins, “You want to grab some coffee?”

“It’s two in the morning, Myeon.”

“There’s a 24-hour cafe around the corner.”

“Is that where you take all the ladies you pick up in the back alley?” You joke as you push off the wall to follow him.

“There hasn’t been many ladies.” He answers quietly, and you realize it’s a touchy subject.

Joonmyeon makes small talk with you the rest of the way. He tells you about how he and his band were finally signed and about his new dog that he absolutely adores. You remember when he swore up and down that he would never get a dog. Your mind starts to wander back to those days; the days you used to spend with him and think they would never end. There were the sweet, passionate moments where you believed he was made for you. Then there were the other moments, the ones you wish never happened that left you empty inside. Sometimes you can’t fathom that he was such an amazing person but also someone who would tear you down in just a few words.

Seeing him now hurts because deep down inside you hope he isn’t the same person. You know you’re not. You’ve become stronger and learned to not let yourself depend on another person so much. You were naive then, a fool. With this man sitting in front of you in this little cafe, you can feel the change in yourself and are proud of it.

“So, when did you start smoking?” You ask during a lull in the conversation.

“Aish, I don’t even know. It’s a bad habit I picked up while I was in a bad place.” He sighs, unable to look you in the eyes.

Guilt rushes over you for asking that. It’s really none of your business.

“Are you… Are you seeing anyone?” He stares at his cup of coffee.

“No, actually. I haven’t been with anyone since…” Your voice trails off.

There’s a moment of silence before he as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter