chapter five

to you, the boy i loved

From: My Jaebongi

>> are you busy?

Seulgi read the message, and then looked around her room. She wasn’t that busy, just doing some art, but her hair was a mess and she was barefaced. Usually, she doesn’t care much, or at all really, but she and Jaebum are entering that second month of ‘dating’ and she still feels like a giddy school girl who always has to look good in front of her crush.

To: My Jaebongi

<< no, not at all

 

 

The FaceTime call doesn’t come as too much surprise, but it does take Seulgi a few rings to answer. When she does finally accept the call, she’s propped her phone on her desk, and has put her hair in a messy bun. As the connection stabilizes, Seulgi can’t help but smile. Jaebum’s running his hand through his hair repeatedly, mussing it up more than fixing it. “How was your game?” she begins, “I’m sorry I couldn’t make it.” She wanted to be there, but Yerim caught a stomach bug and their father was too caught up at work to take her to the doctor, so Seulgi had to.

“It’s fine, Seulgi. We did win, yes, and I did wish that you were there, but Yerim comes first. How is she?”

“Better, there’s not really any medicine she can take for a stomach bug… she has to just let it pass. She’s sleeping now, and my dad’s going to stay with her tomorrow.”

“I’m glad to hear that she’s okay… and that you’re okay too, because you actually drove somewhere!” Jaebum teases.

“Yah! I’m a careful driver!”

“A careful driver doesn’t mean you're a good driver.”

“Yes it does!”

“No, it doesn’t. You just need more practice; I can help you.”

“Aw… you’re willing to get into a car with me behind the wheel?”

“Yerim has done it, so maybe I can too.” Jaebum states, “Do you have any plans tomorrow?”

“Besides school? No, not really.”

“Now you do, you’re going to spend it with me!”

“I am?”

“Yeah, I want to buy something for Yerim, since she’s not feeling well, and you can help me pick it out.”

“That’s really sweet of you, Jaebum.”

“I’ve grown fond of the squirt.”

 

 

They video chat for another hour, not really talking about much, but also not wanting to just end the conversation. Seulgi did show off what she was working on, and it made her happy that Jaebum liked it so much, and was so supportive.

 

 

At school the next day, Seulgi found Jaebum waiting for her at her locker. She walked over, and was immediately pulled into a hug. “Did you miss me?” She teased.

“It was kind of weird not having to pick you up this morning.” Jaebum admitted, “did you drive yourself?”

“No, my dad dropped me off.” Seulgi opened her locker, putting her things away. She jumped slightly, when Jaebum came up behind her, wrapping his arms around her in a back hug, resting his head on her shoulder.

“Excited for today? We can even visit that café you like for some cake and coffee.”

“Are you trying to woo me, Im Jaebum?” Seulgi teases, playfully nudging him, though it only made him tighten his hold on her.

“I don’t know… is it working?”

“Maybe.” She flirts back, turning her head and finding him close. So close, it would take the slightest movement before she’d be kissing him. It’s crazy to think how she kissed him in a panic two months ago, and now, under the pretense of dating…it’s so hard to do.

“Alright, break it up!” Mark calls out, breaking up their moment, and Seulgi finds herself immediately annoyed. She was having fun, even though she was having a crisis.

"What's up, Mark?" Jaebum asks, surprising Seulgi with a quick kiss to her cheek before pulling away from her and putting some distance between them. Seulgi focused on putting her things away, keeping her blush hidden from Mark.

“I was just wondering about Brian’s band gig tomorrow. Should we still go?”

“We were invited, so I think we should go. We don’t have to stay the entire gig, and we can do something else after.” Seulgi suggested, “Sooyoung’s going to be there, and Wendy was tagging along with her, so I want to go too.” she turned to Jaebum, “if you’re uncomfortable with it, you don’t have to go.”

“I’ll go.” Jaebum agreed, "It can't be that bad, right?"

"Right."

 

 

After school, they head to the mall, walking hand in hand. “What to get Yerim? What to get Yerim?” Jaebum sings, as Seulgi looks through all the shops windows, waiting for something to stand out to her.

“Let’s go in there.” She points out an accessory shop, before dragging Jaebum towards it. There’s a lot of pastels, obnoxious music, and cutesy characters. Perfect. “Maybe some headbands?” She wonders aloud, looking through the selection. She finds one with a sparkling crown and laughs, grabbing it and turning towards Jaebum. “Bend down.” She requests and he does so without really thinking about it. She places it on his head, and he poses with a hand under his chin. “Such a pretty princess.” She teases, taking out her phone to snap a photo of this moment.

“If you send that to anyone, you’re walking home.”

“I know your threats are empty and have no bite whatsoever.” Seulgi informs him, removing the headband and putting it back in it’s place.

“One day, I will grow immune to your charm and then what are you going to do?”

“Find new ways to get to you? Should I start calling you oppa?”

“You can do that anyway, I am older.”

“By a month.”

“So? It still counts.” Jaebum replies, pinching her cheek. Seulgi turns back to the hair accessories and picks out one with a pretty red ribbon.

“She’d like this.”

“Cool, let’s look over here too.” Jaebum tugs her towards the jewelry.

 

 

“She’s expressed an interest in my many rings, so I think we should get her a few.” Jaebum explains, “Maybe ones like these? That you can stack or wear alone.”

“Buying my little sister a ring before you even buy me one?”

“Are couple rings still a thing?”

Seulgi nods, “Sooyoung and Sungjae have them.”

Jaebum hums, and starts looking at the rings, seeing if he could find ones that match. “What about these?” Jaebum holds up a set of rings. One is a thicker band with a heart cut out, while the corresponding one has the cut out heart on a thinner band. It’s simple, it’s cute, it’s setting off flags.

“I like it.”

“Then let’s get it.”

 

 

They end up buying the headband, the stackable rings, a plush bear, and more of Yerim’s favorite jellies, as well as the couple rings. After, they venture to Seulgi’s favorite coffee shop for a snack before he’d drop her off at home.

 

 

Seulgi finds a seat out on the patio, while Jaebum orders their iced lattes and a tiramisu to share. When he comes back, Seulgi takes obligatory dessert photos. “I’m sending them to Seungwan and Sooyoung.” She explains, batting Jaebum’s fork away, “We have a thing.”

“Where you send each other photos of your food?”

“Desserts mostly, but yes. We have a group on Snapchat, ‘the dessert club’.”

“How original.” Jaebum laughs, and Seulgi shuts him up by feeding him the first piece. “Have you ever thought of hand modeling?”

“No,” Seulgi giggles, wiping some mascarpone off his lip.

“You should look into it, you have the hands for it.”

“Oh do I?” Seulgi questions, looking down at her hands.

“Yeah, there’s like some people who just have really aesthetically pleasing hands… and they go into hand modeling.” Jaebum explains, grabbing hold of her hand and examining it for a brief second before placing a kiss on the back of it.

“That was all just a act so you could kiss my hand, I see through your tactics.”

 

“You caught me.” Jaebum admits with a shrug. Seulgi nibbles on her bottom lip, staring at him for a second too long. “What?” She doesn’t say anything, and just closes her eyes, leaning over the table and kissing his cheek quickly before sitting back and eating her dessert like nothing happened. Jaebum’s smiling like a fool, and he couldn’t care less.

 

 

 

The next day, Seungwan comes over after school to get ready for Brian’s gig together. Jaebum, along with Mark, is going to pick them up at 6:00PM. The other expressed an interest in Seungwan, and tonight would be their first night to really get together. “So… Mark, huh?” Seulgi teases, making Seungwan laugh, as they do their makeup for the night.

“Yeah, I know… me going out on a date, it’s weird.”

“It’s not weird! I’m happy for you. Mark is nice.”

“He’s so nice, and sweet, and caring, and cute.” Seungwan gushes. “I don’t think it’s anything serious, but it’s a start. Just a crush for now. I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“What about you?”

“Me?”

“Yeah… I mean, how are things with you and Jaebum? Is it even…fake anymore?” Seungwan’s voice lowers towards the end of her question. “If it is, you two are some pretty great actors. I see the posts on social media, and then compare it to the heart eyes you two give in front of me… I’m just a little worried. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“There are times when things feel a little too real… and I can’t help but get wrapped up in those feelings. I’m just… taking my time. Even if this ends tomorrow, next week, months from now… I know I don’t really have regrets? I’m enjoying my time with him, and… that’s all I care about right now.”

“Do you like him, Seul?”

Instead of answering verbally, Seulgi nods her head, cheeks tinting pink. “I do.” She finally admits, “But that’s not too much of a surprise right? I wrote him a love letter once. It ‘s not that shocking that the feelings came back when they probably never really went away.”

“Have you kissed him?” Seungwan then asks, and Seulgi hides behind her hands.

“Seungwan!”

“It’s a valid question!”

“Not, like… on the lips. Well, not since we've been 'dating' at least.”

“Why not?”

“We just haven’t! No one’s made that move yet. It was in our contract to not really do it, and we’re just now comfortable enough where we could probably pull it off…but I’m scared.”

“Of?”

“Getting too attached, and having this go horribly wrong.”

“Do you want to kiss him?”

“Yes.”

“Then do it… and think of the consequences later.”

“That’s a bit reckless.”

“Well, entering a fake relationship with him was already reckless, why not continue down the path?”

Seulgi doesn’t reply for a while, “I haven’t told Joohyun either.”

“What??”

“I’m afraid that she’ll judge, and maybe talk me out of it.”

“She’s probably knows now… like I mentioned earlier, it’s all over your social media.”

“But I’m avoiding her calls. I just wait until she calls Yerim, say hi and then claim I’m busy so I’ll talk to her later. She’ll be home for Christmas… and I know we’ll be forced to talk about it then.”

“That’s before the ski trip…”

“I know… and I’m worried that either he’ll be back with Nayeon by then, or Joohyun will make me feel bad about everything and I’ll have to end it.”

“I understand, but at the same time… your older sister shouldn’t be able to dictate how you spend your life and who you spend it with.”

“I know, but I want to make her proud.”

“I’m sure you do,” Seungwan reaches over and hugs her friend. “I’m sure everything will work out fine, Seulgi.”

“I’m also still avoiding Bogeum. I know I shouldn’t delay the inevitable, especially because my feelings for Jaebum at the moment are a bit stronger than my crush on Bogeum, but I’m… a coward. I don’t want the confrontation.”

 

“Baby steps. We’ll take baby steps.” Seungwan states. “Honestly, I think Jaebum is falling for you, just as hard. Tonight will be the ultimate test. Nayeon will be around, and if he acts differently, then maybe that’ll be your cue to start toning it down and taking a step back… if he’s still all about you, it’ll be time to face your fears and prepare to do something about your feelings.” Seungwan was forever the voice of reasoning, and Seulgi hated it. "So... when you say you haven't kissed since you've been dating..."

"I might have kissed him when he came to reject my love confession."

"How did that happen??"

"Bogeum was coming towards me, I panicked and kissed him!"

"Wow...." Seungwan nods, "Was it good?"

".....Yeah."

 

 

 

 

The ride to the venue where Brian’s band was going to perform was a mellow one. Seulgi and Jaebum were content with just listening to music, while Mark and Seungwan talked a bit. The small group met up with Sooyoung and Sungjae outside once they had arrived. “We’re waiting for Nayeon.” Sooyoung began, “That way we can all sit together.” Sooyoung was hugging Sungjae around his middle, and it made Seulgi subconsciously step closer to Jaebum. On instinct, Jaebum put his arms around her, Seulgi leaning into him.

 

It didn’t take Nayeon long to find them, and them inside to a big circular table. “This is my friend Hyungjung, she goes by Seola.” Nayeon introduced, “She’s dating one of Brian’s bandmates Jae.”

“Nice to meet you,” Seola greeted.

“This is my cousin Sooyoung, her boyfriend Sungjae. Then there’s Mark, Wendy, Seulgi and Jaebum.” Nayeon also introduced, and Seola nodded. “The performance will start soon. Brian plays bass.”

“What instrument does Jae play?” Seungwan asked, to fill the silence.

“Guitar.” Seola answered.

“Do you go to the same school as Brian and Jae?” Seulgi asked next while Jaebum’s arm came up and wrapped around her shoulders. She leaned into him then, reaching up to hold his hand out of habit.

“Yeah! I actually introduced Nayeon to Brian.” Seola shared, “Nayeon and I both part-timed at the same salon as receptionists this past summer.”

“Yeah, it was a little after Jaebum and I broke up.” Nayeon admitted, her eyes flickering to Seulgi and Jaebum’s hands.

“Oh, wait! This Jaebum is your ex?” Seola asked.

“Yeah, but it’s fine. We’re both seeing other people. We’ve moved on. Right?” Nayeon turning her attention to Jaebum’s face.

“Yeah, right.” he agreed.

“We’re both happy, right?”

“Definitely.” Jaebum smiles after placing a kiss against Seulgi’s temple, causing her to blush.

“Did you two get couple rings?” Seungwan points out, taking a notice of the ring Seulgi’s wearing and how it matches one of Jaebum’s many.

“Yeah, we did.” Seulgi answers, and Sooyoung squeals.

“We have couple rings too!” She says, proudly displaying hers and Sungjae’s.

“Jae and I have matching necklaces.” Seola shared, showing off the puzzle piece she had around her neck.

“That’s so cute!” Seungwan gushed.

“The show’s starting.” Nayeon announced, and if Seulgi didn’t know any better, it sounded a little sour.

 

 

 

Brian’s band was actually pretty good. They performed a few covers as well as some original works. The lights in the venue were dim, the stage being the major source of light. Seulgi could peek Seola and Nayeon singing along to some of the lyrics. Seungwan and Mark were whispering back and forth. Sungjae was lost in the show, and Sooyoung was cuddled up to him, scrolling on her phone in typical Sooyoung fashion. Seulgi peeks up at Jaebum, from where’s she’s tucked into his side, and finds him looking down at her instead. “What?” she mouths, and he doesn’t say anything for a bit.

“Nothing, just happy.” He finally answers, “Having fun?”

“Yes, are you?”

“I always have fun with you.”

“You’re being cheesy.” Seulgi teases, tapping Jaebum on the nose.

“Yes… I think you’re rubbing off on me. I’m used to being the chic, cool, suave guy.”

 

“I am not cheesy, Im Jaebum. Take it back.” Seulgi giggles, “And you were never those things.” Her eyes roam over his face, stopping on his lips. Once again, the perfect moment to kiss him, but she’s too chicken to make the move. Jaebum notices her internal struggle, feels it in his own chest, and his eyes dart towards Nayeon who’s sneaking glances at them. Its now or never, he thinks, and leans down, his lips connecting with Seulgi’s. He tries not to think too much about how his heart flutters during it.