Nights Together

Nights Together

Seulgi works in the middle of the night. She hates the night.

 

Joohyun works in the bright day. It's just everything Seulgi can ask for, really.

 

Seulgi sat at her gray desk, staring at her computer as she typed some business letters and at the same time, brainstorming for marketing ideas.

 

It's 5pm, her shift would soon end, but she can't finish her damn job because of her colleagues.

 

"Seulgi do this," and "Seulgi do that". The great perks of a new worker.

 

"Seulgi! Meeting room, now."

 

Seulgi stared at the stack of papers at her table, she silently whimpers, holding back her tears. She stood up and professionally walked to the room. The meeting at first was going well, until their supervisor asked Seulgi for her powerpoint.

 

"I-I didn't get any memo or email for it...I thought that this was just a literal meeting?" Seulgi meekly said, the supervisor was slowly furrowing his eyebrows.

 

"Who was supposed to send it?" Their supervisor asked the other workers.

 

"Me, Sir. And I did, haven't you checked Seulgi?" Her female co-worker stared at her, although it was more of a glare trying to signal her something.

 

"I believe that I have ch-"

 

"Well, you should have checked better. Don't worry, Sir, I'll handle Seulgi. I'm really sorry for this." Her co-worker then signaled her.

 

"I'm sorry too." Seulgi said as she stared at her hands on the desk.

 

Their supervisor sighed, "Meeting is temporarily over. It will be continued tomorrow. Seulgi, I'll be expecting better from you." They slowly left the meeting room with Seulgi stuck at her chair, thinking of how she could have missed that email.

 

When the lights were closed, Seulgi then walked back to her desk.

 

As she was near, her co-worker then stopped her.

 

"Hey, I checked my email, turns out I wasn't able to send it."

 

"Great, maybe you can tell that to our supervisor? To give me more time to create the powerpoint?"

 

"That would be okay, but, you've already taken the blame. And I think he'll be super mad by then, because he'll think that we're trying to fool him. So, I owe you. Thanks Seulgi!" Her co-worker brushed passed her without any thought. Seulgi stared hopelessly.

 

We? You're the one who's fooling right now...

 

Seulgi can do whatever, she can go straight to their supervisor and take the blame away from herself.

 

But she's just new, and it was hard enough to find a job that would accept her that had a decent pay.

 

She sat back in her chair and started to type once again, but it wasn't even one minute when another co-worker called her again.

 

She had an errand, once again.

 

It's finally 7:30 am. She can go home.

 

She walked pass the blazing street, honking cars and hustling people. They were starting their day, Seulgi was ending it. She just might catch her lover at home, might.

 

Once she arrived at their small apartment, she catches the fading smell of Joohyun's perfume.

 

But there was no Joohyun at home. She was already on her way to work.

 

Seulgi heads to the kitchen, Joohyun prepared something for her, toasted bread and an egg. But even though Seulgi was tired, she wasn't hungry. Seulgi just wants to lay on their bed. 

 

After taking a short bath, Seulgi plopped on their big bed and closed her eyes.

 

But the moment her eyes closed, her tears started to fall.

 

It was a hard day of work, but Joohyun wasn't even there. Joohyun wasn't there to hug her, and tell her that she's the best, and that they shall conquer the world together, even if it meant total world domination. They were once two college weirdos in love, and 'weird-ing' together.

 

Seulgi wants to stay young, forever, if it meant loving Joohyun freely as she can.

 

And Seulgi can't help but think whether she should be selfish. To resign from her work, or to make Joohyun resign. She just wants someone to comfort her.

 

But for now, she'll think about this on the other day, she's mentally drained, and with that, she sleeps with her tears sliding onto the bed they both saved up for.

 


 

Seulgi is back at her gray desk. She was lucky enough to catch Joohyun at their apartment, but all Joohyun could offer was a haste kiss because Seulgi was going to be late for her work.

 

It was time for their meeting. Seulgi had prepared for it, and so she started. At first, her supervisor seemed happy, but at the end, Seulgi couldn't say the same.

 

"Ms. Kang, I believe your report is lacking in terms of content, you weren't able to cover everything I've asked you." 

 

Seulgi had to explain, she said that she did. Seulgi even listed it, but her supervisor showed her his own list. And indeed, Seulgi missed something.

 

But Seulgi knows, it wasn't in the email of her co-worker. Seulgi also knows herself, and she knew better than to slack off. She knew, she was able to complete everything listed in the email.

 

"Seulgi, I gave you a warning, you better do well next time, if I'll even give you a next time. Remember, you are new, you are in a probation period, I can fire you whenever." Their supervisor then walked out of the meeting room, with her other co-workers doing the same.

 

And Seulgi was left alone in that damn meeting room, alone.

 

Her stupid co-worker who gave her the email didn't even gave her a glance. Seulgi understands that trust is hard to gain, but this is just a different kind of evil.

 

I will not let myself cry here, I will not.

 

Seulgi rushed outside the building.

 

She walked towards the near convenience store where she usually drinks coffee, but this time, she's going to drink something else.

 

Seulgi took a can of beer and paid, she then looked for an isolated seat. Once she found one, she sat and opened the can of beer.

 

She took a sip, and after that, she couldn't help it anymore, she started to cry.

 

It's a bit embarassing to cry in public places, but this time, Seulgi just can't fight it anymore.

 

Seulgi can resign if she wanted to, but there is this urge in her, that makes her want to prove herself worthy. Worthy to her parents, Joohyun's parents, and especially Joohyun.

 

Back when they were college students, Joohyun was always there for her. Joohyun was there when she once failed an exam, she was there when she wasn't able to answer during recitation, and she was still there even for the smallest of things.

 

But now that they are adults, it's a different world for Seulgi.

 

Maybe she's just not coping well, but she can't help but think of how Joohyun seems fine with their current situation.

 

Seulgi drank away her sorrows.

 

But after that, she still had to go back to work to finish her papers.

 


 

Seulgi woke up and looked at the window, it was night.

 

Work.

 

Seulgi sighed. She dragged herself to the bathroom inside their room, she showered and dressed up.

 

But as she opened the door of their bedroom, Joohyun was there on the couch.

 

"Shouldn't you be sleeping right now? Aren't you tired?" Seulgi asked as she sat beside Joohyun.

 

Joohyun kissed Seulgi's cheek, "Work wasn't that stressful today, so I was thinking, maybe we should go out? A small date, Please?" 

 

"But I have work..."

 

"Forget about work, let's have fun tonight, just you and me. I've missed you." Joohyun smiled at Seulgi, and Seulgi just can't say no. She has never seen Joohyun this impulsive, but it was a good sight to see. Although Seulgi can't just forget about her responsibilities at work, still, Seulgi meekly said, "okay".

 

Joohyun held Seulgi's hand as they both walked out of their apartment.

 

"Aren't we going to use the car?" Seulgi asked.

 

"Nope, let's just enjoy the night breeze."

 

Joohyun slowed her pace, and Seulgi matched it.

 

Seulgi looked around, and she has missed a lot of scenery. She was so distracted when she heads to work that she doesn't notice by beauty in their city.

 

And it just makes her heart flutter more when she feels Joohyun's head on her shoulder.

 

They leisurely walked, and the burden in Seulgi's shoulder is slowly being brushed away, being replaced by Joohyun's hair brushing on her arms.

 

They reached the park near them, and they both circled around the park.

 

It was quiet, there are just a few cars passing by and lesser people can be seen. Seulgi can hear her heart beating. She wanted to be more close to Joohyun, so she placed her arms around Joohyun.

 

This is all that Seulgi wanted, to be close to Joohyun, to feel her embrace.

 

"I know, that you're carrying something heavy, Seulgi. I may have heard something from my friend...who caught you in the convenience store." Joohyun hesitantly said.

 

Seulgi sighed, "I'm fine, it's all okay. You're here." Seulgi means that, Joohyun lightly patted her waist.

 

"I've known you since college, be honest with me."

 

"I am honest, I'm fine now...It's just work being a pain in the , specifically a co-worker...And us...not being together as much as we used to. It's all just adult stuff, I'll move on from it. I'll learn to cope with it" Seulgi dejectedly said.

 

"I understand. But remember, I'll be here for you every tiny step of yours. I feel it too you know, how hard it is for us now. But then I remember a bear, a little bear working hard for me, for a life we plan to have. And it is just the perfect energizer that I need."

 

Seulgi looked at Joohyun. She's thankful that she was able to be with Joohyun, Joohyun who was sacrificing her sleep to make her happy, to make sure she was fine.

 

"Thank you, for being you." Seulgi kissed Joohyun's cheek, "Let's continue to do this sometimes, impulsive dates."

 

"We will. Chin up, Seulgi. We'll soon get there. World domination, remember?" Seulgi laughed along.

 

They continued to walk around, the cold breeze passing their bodies. But also with their bodies passing each other warmth and love.

 

Seulgi will continue to work. As long as Joohyun is beside her, she can face everything. After this little date, Seulgi can feel Joohyun's love even if Joohyun wasn't physically beside her.

 

And maybe, Seulgi won't hate the night anymore. Maybe she does, but she can rely on Joohyun to make it tolerable and worth it at times.

 

 

End-