Chapter 3

Decisions

It had been a week since Yuqi woke up in the cabin, and she had yet to meet any of the others. Soyeon had been pulled into a mission while she was crying that morning, and wasn't expected to get back any time soon. It bummed Yuqi out, but she hoped they'd get time to talk when she got back. Apparently Cube had lost trust in her for allowing Yuqi to distract her from the mission.

As for the others, there were actual reasons she hadn't met up with them, as much as she didn't like it. Miyeon had gone with Soyeon to make sure she did her job. Shuhua pretty much always stayed in her room in the basement (where Yuqi wasn't allowed to go) almost constantly gathering intelligence for Cube, and Soojin just had a different schedule than her (being naturally nocturnal) so they didn't ever come across each other.

Yuqi spent most of her time helping Minnie around the cabin, cleaning and cooking. She didn't want to spend all her time reading or watching movies, and since there was little else to do, she helped Minnie.

The cabin took a surprisingly long time to clean, and since they did it every day, it filled her time pretty well. Apparently they were in the middle of the forest, since Yuqi could never hear a single noise from outside, and the cabin got incredibly dusty even if they had just cleaned. It had become Yuqi's job to dust and sweep, while Minnie took care of the basement, Soyeon's room, Miyeon's room, and her own room. They both cooked, with Minnie slowly teaching her how. Yuqi actually found her new life rather satisfying. The simplicity of it let her relax for the first time in what felt like years, the stress of studying and worrying about her family's expectations melting away.

Don't get her wrong, she missed her family like crazy, and had cried herself to sleep more than once, but she was starting to accept her situation. She just wished Soyeon was around, so she could have just a bit of normality, but she understood that she had to work. She didn't want Soyeon to suffer just so she could make herself happy.

Yuqi was currently chopping vegetables for a salad to pair with the roast Minnie had put in the oven while Minnie was carting in firewood. Apparently the basement got really cold, even in summer, so all the rooms had fireplaces to keep them warm.

Minnie had left the doors to both the outside and the basement open, but Yuqi didn't even turn around to look at them. She knew it was a test, to see how much freedom she could have in the cabin most likely, and she was determined to pass it. She didn't really want to break any of the rules, since she knew it would do no good, and all that would result from it would be Soyeon getting in trouble, and she didn't want that.

As she set the salad on the table between the two laid out places, Yuqi heard something strange. It wasn't the intermittent cracks of Minnie chopping wood, or even the steady hum that came from the radiator between the door and the hallway. No, this was something different, and it took her a minute to place it. As soon as she did, her heart leapt into . She ran for the door, stopping before she could come even close to the entryway. She clasped her hands in front of her chest, rocking back and forth on her heels anxiously.

As she stared down the long driveway, waiting for the vehicle to come around the corner so she could see it instead of just trees, Minnie came back. She had a load of firewood in her arms, and she was smirking knowingly at Yuqi.

"They'll be a few minutes, yet," she told her, shaking her head. "Why don't you go put the roast on a plate and put it on the table. I'm sure they'll be hungry."

Yuqi nodded, throwing one more glance at the trees before rushing back to the kitchen. She pulled the oven mitts on and pulled out the roaster. The steam buffeted her face, pushing her hair away. Grabbing the carving fork and knife, she lifted it out and laid it on the pre-prepared plate, resting it gently on the bed of lettuce and carrots. It looked beautiful, and Yuqi was sure Soyeon would love it. She placed it on the table, and rushed back to the door.

The vehicle still hadn't shown up.

Minnie came back upstairs, shutting the door behind her. She came to stand next to Yuqi and cocked her head for a second. "They should be coming around any second now."

Yuqi nodded distractedly, too nervous and excited to speak. She'd finally get to see Soyeon after a week of waiting. Her knees were practically trembling in anticipation.

When the vehicle came around the corner, revealing itself from behind the trees, Yuqi perked up. Her eyes went wide, and she almost jumped out the door, before she stopped herself just in time. The first thing she noticed was that it was a nondescript grey sedan, one that could pass by a million times and she'd never notice it. The second thing she noticed, the thing that made her heart nearly stop, was that there was only one person in the car.

And it wasn't Soyeon.

Yuqi was frozen, eyes burning with unshed tears. Minnie rubbed her back comfortingly before leaving her to walk out to meet who Yuqi assumed was Miyeon. Yuqi's chin trembled, and she felt like collapsing, but instead she wrapped her arms around her middle, as if trying to hold herself together.

She could wait for Soyeon to come back. She'd adjust, and she'd make herself useful. Soyeon would be proud of her, she knew she would.

Bringing herself back to reality, Yuqi watched Minnie help the other woman out of the car. She had a sling on her arm, and was moving kind of stiffly. She could hear the older women talking, now that she was paying attention.

"We ran into some of those Plan A morons. Apink, I think. Weren't exactly happy about us taking out someone they had a contract on. Got a sprained elbow, maybe fractured. Not sure."

Yuqi's brow furrowed at the information. She assumed Plan A was another family, Apink was another unit. Logically she knew Soyeon was an assassin, and that meant she was regularly in danger, but she didn't like it. Not one bit.

"And Soyeon? Why'd you come back alone?" Thank you, Minnie, for asking the important questions.

Miyeon jabbed her in the stomach playfully, sending her a mock glare. "Nice to know you care, you jerk. Eagle-eye's fine. She beat the crap out of those thugs and dragged my outta there. When we got back to the main estate she took another mission. Shouldn't be too long. Another week or so, maybe." She glanced up at the cabin, probably towards a camera or something. "Hey, Shuhua, could you call CLC, get someone to come take a look at this? Yujin, if she's available."

Miyeon walked towards the door with a suitcase in hand, leaving Minnie to grab the rest of the cases from the trunk. She stopped in front of Yuqi, looking at her with a puzzled frown. Yuqi stared back at her blankly for a second before shaking herself, grabbing Miyeon's suitcase from her and moving out of the doorway so she could come in.

"Thanks..." the older girl drawled, tilting her head. "Who are you? A new recruit or something?"

Yuqi blushed. Of course Miyeon hadn't recognized her. "Ah, my name is Song Yuqi, I'm-"

Miyeon's eyes widened, a crooked grin spreading across her face. "Oh yeah, that little baby Yeonie's so smitten with. I forgot she brought you back here...how's life? Get into any trouble lately?"

Yuqi stammered, thrown off guard by Miyeon's sudden friendliness. "Ah, um, no, it's pretty good. I've been behaving pretty well, I think. I haven't broken any rules, as far as I know."

Miyeon smacked her shoulder, more of a friendly nudge than anything. "Well, good job then, darling. Maybe Soyeon'll buy you a nice collar for being such a good girl!"

Yuqi shook her head timidly. "I'm not a pet, though..."

"Sure you are! You're living in our house, you can't go anywhere, and eventually, if you're good, we'll even take you on walks! How does that sound, hmm?"

She was saved from having to answer when Minnie came up behind Miyeon, kicking her in the with a little more force than Yuqi thought was necessary. "Leave the poor girl alone and get inside, you wierdo, she's not a pet until Soyeon says she is."

Miyeon grumbled, shuffling over to the shoe rack to toe off her slip-ons. "Whatever, you -kisser..." she mumbled.

"What was that?!"

"Nothing..."

Yuqi giggled, taking the suitcase over to the hallway. She wasn't permitted to enter the others' rooms, so she left it next to the door. When she came back out, Miyeon was sitting at the table next to where Minnie sat, and Minnie was downstairs, probably putting away the other cases, which Yuqi figured were storage for weapons and supplies. Yuqi made sure to grab another plate and set of silverware, laying them out in front of Miyeon.

"Thanks, darling," she muttered, watching Yuqi move. It was slightly unsettling, feeling her unblinking gaze on her back as she moved around the kitchen, trying to keep herself busy. "The name's Cho Miyeon, by the way."

"I...I thought so," Yuqi said, coughing to clear . "Minnie-unnie told me you were with Soyeon-unnie on her assignment."

"Oh, have you met Soojin and Shuhua yet, then?"

She shook her head as she took her seat, crossing her hands in her lap as she waited for Minnie to get back up. "No, not yet. Neither of them have come up during the day yet."

"Ah, well. I'm sure you'll see them eventually. Let's eat, what are you waiting for?"

"Minnie-unnie isn't here, I don't start eating without her."

Miyeon looked at her for a long moment, making Yuqi blush with slight embarrassment. "Are you waiting for permission, or something?"

"No, no, I just think it's more polite to wait until everyone's sitting down before we start." She averted her eyes, trying to ignore Miyeon's disbelieving stare.

Thankfully Minnie came back before Miyeon could comment further, taking her seat with a sigh. Yuqi stood as Minnie started to dole out the salad on their plates, grabbing the fork and knife to carve the roast. It felt wonderfully domestic, like she was eating dinner with her family. She only wished Soyeon could be there with them.

Minnie must have seen the sadness on her face. She touched Yuqi's hand before she could sit back down. "What's wrong, darling?"

Yuqi shook her head, sniffing once before she forced it down. "It's nothing, really, I'm just sad unnie isn't here to eat with us."

Minnie smiled warmly at her, patting her hand. "She'll be fine, and she'll be back with us before you know it. You only have to wait a little longer. Just be patient, okay?"

Miyeon looked between the two with confusion, dropping her fork to point at Yuqi. "Wait, you actually want Eagle-eye here? Really?"

"Yeah?" Yuqi answered, furrowing her brow. "Why wouldn't I?"

She shook her head, throwing her hand up in the air dramatically. Yuqi almost laughed, despite how odd she found the question. "Because Soyeon is convinced that you hate her for getting you stuck here!"

"Hate her? No, I'd never hate unnie! I know that it's my fault I'm here, and I'm grateful she spared me instead of following orders!"

"So you're not mad at all about being kidnapped?"

"No, just a little sad that I can't see my family, but I'm happy here. I like helping Minnie, and I don't have to worry about much, so I can relax and enjoy myself. If I had known this would be the result, I would have started investigating you guys sooner."

Miyeon sighed, shaking her head. "Well, it's gonna be really annoying convincing Soyeon."

Yuqi bit her lip, worried. She hoped for the best, almost praying for Soyeon to remain safe until they could see each other again.