Mom's New House

When Mom Leaves...

"Do not forget to always shave. Do not drink often and stop eating unhealthy snacks. Eating salty and spicy foods is only good once in a while so definitely don't eat them often—" Hakyeon spoke, teary-eyed. He was sitting on the floor, packing his remaining things in a box that would be delivered to his new home later. Of course, he made sure that he gathered s around in the middle of the living room of their shared house as if he was leaving for good—in his defense, he felt like he was. They stood around him, watching him pack and listening to his endless nagging.

"We get it," Sanghyuk snapped, clicking his tongue as a sign of obvious annoyance. "Always brush our teeth then take a bath often. Taekwoon hyung should be reminded to cut back on his coffee for the sake of his health; we should remind Jaehwan hyung to wake up early; Wonshik hyung should be told to always take a shower; Hongbin hyung should be scolded because it is very unhealthy to play games all day and all night; and I should be reminded to wash my feet and should be reprimanded when I bully others," he said in one breath, recalling some of Hakyeon's reminders. The youngest paused a bit to catch his breath before speaking ince again, "We remember everything! Please stop nagging already."

Hakyeon gasped at the outburst of the youngest (as if it was something new). "I haven't even left yet and you're already being a rude son? Exactly, where are the values I've taught you for the past six years?"

"I wonder why you're even confused that he ended up like that if we are to talk about what you've taught him," Hongbin chimed in, his right eyebrow was raised in an 'I-am-judging-you' manner. "Being disrespectful is obviously from you."

"He took after you! It's your fault," Hakyeon retorted before sharply turning his head to Taekwoon who was watching them in amusement (along with Wonshik and Jaehwan) as if it was not something they had witnessed before—or every single day. "Jung Taekwoon, your sons are being disrespectful to their mother!"

Taekwoon rolled his eyes. Hakyeon was being annoying again. "Stop babbling and quickly pack your things. The truck driver is waiting for you for almost an hour already. You don't even pay him enough to wait like that."

"I do pay him much!" Hakyeon argued but he ended up sighing as he finally closed the box. He stood up, finally ready to leave. Then, there was a pause. He hesitated to leave because there was so many memories inside the house—there were many memories living with s. Could he really just leave like that? He did not want to leave, of course. It had been six long years and suddenly living by himself was so heavy for him. Still, it was a choice. It was his choice. He was not getting any younger. He had to have a house of his own and live independently.

"You... are you seriously thinking of something so dramatic right now?" Hongbin was the one who exclaimed when he noticed Hakyeon's red eyes. His 'I-am-judging-you' expression was still all over his face.

"No! I'm really leaving now. I'll visit you guys from time to time." Gathering his courage, Hakyeon finally turned away and then, he left the dorm. For good. So that he could have a peaceful life.

There was silence.

The silence fell upon the leaving room and only the breathing of the remaining five lads remained. No one spoke for a whole five second. Everything had not sink into their minds yet. Their leader had just closed the door behind him. Their mom just left the house. Hakyeon... he... he just walked away.

"OH YEAHHHH!" Screams of victory ended the silence and they had just started living their peaceful lives.

"I can finally play games all night without anyone complaining about it." Hongbin had a huge angelic smile on his face.

"I can finally take a bath and sleep whenever I desire." Wonshik laid himself on the floor, ready to sleep.

"I can finally be free from a mother hen, telling me to act cute all the time." Sanghyuk danced his victory song and dance. (Galbijjimeul bab wie anheojuseyo~)

"I can finally get ready as slowly as possible and be late." Jaehwan was shaking his to Sanghyuk's song.

"I can finally get rid of all of my problems—Hakyeon." That was definitely a smiling Taekwoon.

No more clingy mother. No more annoying naggings. No more annoying Hakyeon in the house. Only good times were waiting for them.

 

"Abrrrrrrr," the sound was heard throughout the living room. "Brrrrrrrrr."

"Jaehwan, I'm sorry but can you just shut up?" Taekwoon grumbled. He was seated on the living room couch, right beside Jaehwan and enjoying his cup of latte. But the younger lad just would not shut his mouth and continued to make weird noises. Taekwoon was bored as hell, he must admit but at least he was not making those strange sounds. "Why don't you just practice? Or visit your family? Or just stay away from me?"

Jaehwan pouted, pausing for a little while. Like Taekwoon, he was seated on the couch yet unlike the older guy, he was slouching and he rested his legs on the coffee table—an action that if Hakyeon knew, Jaehwan would definitely be scolded. "It's our rest day, why would I practice? I just visited my family two days ago, my mom is getting sick of me. And, why would I be the one to stay away from you when I occupied this space first? Just go away, hyung. I'm bored," he whined. If only Hakyeon were there, maybe their house would be much noisier. For sure, the eldest would have found a way to annoy everyone already. With Hakyeon around, there was barely a single second of silence. "Where's Hakyeon hyung, really?"

"It's barely an hour since he left," Taekwoon pointed out. "Do you miss him already?"

"Pfft," Jaehwan snorted, completely denying the older's accusation. "No way. I'm already free from him. Why would I miss him?"

"Ahh!" A groan of annoyance was heard followed by a series of heavy footsteps. The two guys turned to the stairs and saw their youngest heading towards them. "I'm bored. Jaehwan hyung, let's go out of the house."

"This is the first time I heard that Sanghyuk is bored," Taekwoon mused. "Usually, he'd just throw Hakyeon or me around."

Sanghyuk sighed, plopping himself in between Taekwoon and Jaehwan. "Hakyeon hyung is not around and I don't feel like throwing you guys around. I'm just so, so bored and I haven't been this bored in ages!" If Hakyeon was around, the house would be really loud because Hakyeon could not possibly stand boredom. Don't get them wrong, of course they had separated for days before—a week or two maybe—whenever they had individual schedules or when they would visit their families. Somehow, knowing that Hakyeon would not be living with them anymore made all the difference. But no, he would not admit that.

"Do you miss Hakyeon hyung?" Jaehwan casually asked, straightening his body just so he could wrap an arm around the youngest's neck. He had a sly smile on his face as he spoke, "I didn't know the baby was so clingy to his mom."

"What the hell? No!" Sanghyuk spat his denial, shaking his head rapidly. "I am glad that Hakyeon hyung is already living his life alone because he's old enough. He can get married tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelash."

"Married?!" Both Jaehwan and Taekwoon were probably screaming upon hearing what Sanghyuk said.

"Why would he get married?!" Taekwoon asked in a loud voice.

"Why are we not invited?!" Jaehwan exclaimed.

"I just said that. There's no marriage. It was an expression, expression!" Sanghyuk tried to appease the older guys.

As if on cue, two more people appeared at the living room.

"What's happening?" Hongbin was the one who asked. "You guys are really noisy. I thought a burglar entered the house or something."

"A noisy burglar at 12 noon? Great," Sanghyuk sighed, rolling his eyes.

"So, what happened?" Wonshik asked, pushing Sanghyuk's teasing aside although he did laugh at it.

Sanghyuk shook his head. "Nothing really. It's just that I said that Hakyeon hyung can get married tomorrow and I—"

"Why is he getting married?!" This time, it was Hongbin and Wonshik who exclaimed.

"That's what I'm asking," Taekwoon said, putting his cup of latte on the coffee table. "He's going to do that without telling us. That traitor," he spoke through gritted teeth.

"No, listen I—" Sanghyuk was once again cut off by the enraged older ones.

"The least he can do is ask us to be his best men. Is he planning on telling us later when he finally have a family of his own? Or when his grandchildren are finally getting married? Just thinking about it makes me upset," Wonshik commented.

Hongbin let out a disappointed sigh. "I knew he did not just move out because he feels like it. He definitely has an ulterior motive and it is about him getting married after all, huh? I thought that as our mom, he'll know better than to marry himself off behind our backs. He's a terrible person."

Jaehwan nodded his head firmly. "We have to find out where he lives and we question him for betraying us like that. He cannot just turn his back on us like this."

Sanghyuk could only hit his own forehead as the older guys started planning their revenge on Hakyeon and how they could possibly crash on the nonexistent wedding that was to happen then next day.

 

Hakyeon was also bored. For years, he lived together with five other men where there was never a dull or quiet moment—that was partially his fault too to be honest. Anyway, now that he was alone (even if it was for barely an hour), he felt so lonely. But if he wanted to grow, he would have to live separately from the rest even if he loved them to death. So, even if he dearly missed s already, he could not just run to them—he had to get used to the new living arrangement.

Alone in his room, as he laid down on bed, he started to reminisce his happy times inside their shared house. He was a bit more sentimental than most normal people, you see. But hey, that was one of the reasons why he was VIXX's mom. He remembered the fun times—the ice cream incident when someone ate his ice cream (and it was definitely Taekwoon) but they ended up concluding that the ice cream evaporated from the fridge because that was definitely the most believable explanation. Before he knew it, he was already tearing up (yeah, that ice cream incident was so touching that he cried, do not ask why, he's Cha Hakyeon).

Then, he recalled how he always forced the kids to drink the red ginseng for their health. Oh gosh, was he such a mom, he realized. A thought hit his head so he quickly grabbed his phone to dial Sanghyuk's number.

"How could I forget to remind them about the ginseng?" He shook his head, disappointed in himself. After a few rings, Sanghyuk finally picked up. "Hyukie," Hakyeon sweetly called but abruptly paused when he heard some ruckus. "What are you guys doing?"

"Hyung, I may have said something unnecessary that drove the others crazy," Sanghyuk sounded a bit scared over the phone.

"Ask him if it was a shotgun marriage?" Hongbin's voice was heard.

"Ask him if he was forced or if he was the one who forced heror him." Jaehwan's voice followed.

"Ask him if he loves that person." Wonshik's deep voice echoed through the phone.

"What are they saying?" Hakyeon asked, dumbfounded  when he heard the familiar voices over the phone, drowning Sanghyuk's. He sat up, hoping that things would be clearer if he were to sit up.

"I am sure it was a shotgun marriage." Taekwoon's calm but venomous voice was also heard.

"Hyung, there's a chaos over here so it will be really nice if you can give us your address so that we can go over there. Explain to them why they won't need to crash your wedding or anyone's wedding," Sanghyuk managed to tell Hakyeon in a panicked voice. "I'm hanging up, make sure to text me, Hakyeon hyung."

Hakyeon furrowed his eyebrows, staring at his phone in confusion. "Who's getting married? Why am I not invited? I want to choose the cake though..."

 

It was a good two minutes when Sanghyuk finally received a message from Hakyeon when all of the five men where gathered around the living room, still having their meeting about Hakyeon's wedding. "Hyungs, Hakyeon hyung already gave me his address. Rather than doing this to yourselves, let's make him explain it since no matter how I try, you won't listen to me."

"Where is it?" Hongbin eagerly asked.

Sanghyuk immediately opened Hakyeon's message and read the address out loud.

"Don't you think something is strange?" Wonshik was the first one to voice out his thought when everyone fell silent upon hearing the address. "I feel like I have heard of that address somewhere."

"It's so familiar," Jaehwan agreed. "Somehow, it feels like it's somewhere I see often."

"Eii," Hongbin sounded doubtful. "Hakyeon hyung is not stupid enough to actually just buy a house around the neighborhood, right?"

Everyone nodded in unison because if Hakyeon did buy a house nearby, moving out to be independent and/or moving out to get married secretly was pointless.

After a second, Sanghyuk gasped. "I know where it is!" He immediately stood up from the couch and sprinted outside.

"Wait for us!" Of course, the other four lads quickly followed.

One step, two steps, three steps, four steps, five, and finally, six steps. At exactly sixth step, Sanghyuk stopped and glared at the house where a familiar tanned guy was in. The said tanned guy was standing in the balcony, waving at them with a huge smile on his face. "I miss you, guys!"

 

END