Chapter One

What Is Wrong With Secretary Kang

Kang Seulgi had two principles in life that she diligently abide for more than four years, one, don’t let anything make CEO Irene Bae frown, and two, the only thing that was allowed to grace CEO Irene Bae’s face was a satisfactory smile. In her four years of service under Goddess, the only time she broke the first principle was when she wore unmatched business attire at her first day of work. Since then, principle number two had been consistent.

People in the company admired Seulgi on how dedicated she was. She was the epitome of ‘the importance of being earnest’, and nope, no reference from the book by Oscar Wilde, but the very sense of the word itself.

She woke up earlier than anyone in the company and the last one to leave next to CEO Bae. Her day offs were limited too. She multitasked like crazy, she responds to mails, types documents and prints, answers calls and oversees proposals and contracts, and the woman still even have the time to prepare CEO Bae’s green tea.

She also made sure that everything CEO Bae had seen, had touched, had smelled, and had walked on and even the chair she sat were in all in CEO’s preference, taste and in perfect condition.

Kang Seulgi treated CEO Irene Bae fitting for a Goddess.

And no one could top Secretary Kang.

When Irene Bae hired her, a fresh college graduate with no experience in secretarial job, she vowed to be the perfect secretary, in the very sense of the word itself. But honestly, Seulgi only said those words because Irene Bae, in a white sleeveless turtleneck dress, was attractive, very very attractive. And she wouldn’t let anyone, especially her boss to find out.

And so where the thoughtless pledge did landed Kang Seulgi? She was somewhere in a highly secured and exclusive part of Seoul brewing Irene Bae’s specialized green tea.

“Secretary Kang, what’s the business for today?” A fresh out of the shower Irene in white robe emerged, drying her hair gently with a towel.

Seulgi almost died the first time. It had been four years and she lost track how many times she was revived. But seeing Irene in this glory every morning, except for some weekends, in four years, Secretary Kang was now unfazed.

“You have a meeting with Gucci’s Creative Director, Alessandra Giannini at nine, regarding Goddess and Gucci’s collaboration for Winter Fashion Show. At twelve, a luncheon and signing of contract with Jennie & Co., at EatJin, for two p.m. we have a general meeting altogether with Creative Director Lalisa Manoban and all the designers involved in Winter Fashion Show, and for the rest of the day, you have to sign and approve proposals from Park & Park, Jungkook’s Timberland, BlackPink, and Suga Spit Fire,” Secretary Kang recited like a chemist would with the periodic table.

“And here’s your tea,” Seulgi placed the drink on the countertop next to Irene.

CEO Bae took a sip and eyed Seulgi with curiosity.

If it had been anyone, they would be shaking but not Secretary Kang. There was something in Irene’s gaze that drew Seulgi deeper; she was in too deep anyways.

“Do you speak Italian?”

Sì Signora,” Secretary Kang replied fluently.

“Perfect.”

And there it went, Kang Seulgi’s second principle.

 

 

 

“Great job Secretary Kang,”Irene commended in a low tone as her eyes trailed at the retreating two figures.

“Non c’è problema, è mio piacere,” Secretary Kang replied smoothly while fixing the button of her vest. On someone else view, she looked like a model straight out of photoshoot.

“For the love of God Seul, I don’t have any idea of what you have said right now. But you can keep on talking like that and I won’t even care,” Joy Park, head designer of Goddess, looked at Secretary Kang like a three course meal.

Irene was not amused, if she was straight forward with business, Joy on other hand, was very straight forward with Secretary Kang. Joy was obsessed with her secretary.

Secretary Kang cleared and glanced at Irene expectingly.

“Signora, let me get your tea,” Secretary Kang excused herself and went to the pantry.

“Quit it Joy,” Irene dismissed Joy’s shameless ogling as she started to walk towards her office with the head designer following.

 

“Rene, is your secretary being real?” Joy asked as they were out of earshot and in safety of the four walls of CEO’s office.

“For the past four years, I am asking the same question Sooyoung.”

Irene and Joy were best of friends since college, and when Irene started to build her fashion empire, it had to have Joy.

Irene sat and reviewed the minutes of the meeting with Gucci, and her thoughts drifted to Secretary Kang’s exemplary performance, the way she carried herself, that flawless Italian and that three piece gray suit she personally designed.

Secretary Kang was really really good in suit. She wasn’t that tall, standing at 1.62 cm but her perfect slender proportion made up for the lack of it.

And Irene approved.

The meeting with Gucci’s Creative Director went successfully because of none other, Secretary Kang. Alessandra Giannini was so taken of how explicitly good Secretary Kang in Italian, and in three piece gray suit that Irene had her changed before the meeting, when translating CEO Bae’s plans, terms and conditions that she found Secretary Kang’s ‘grazie’ so delectable.

“Is there anything that she cannot do?” Joy comfortably settled herself on the Irene’s couch.

“Disappoint me,” she briefly replied.

“For real, is there one thing she is bad at?” Joy asked more seriously.

“Kissing,” Irene deadpanned.

“WHAT?!” Joy screamed.

“She has a bad fashion sense,” she clarified.

“Oh my god, for a sec, I thought you were having some office romance. I mean, it’s not that bad, I mean, I won’t be surprise if you two had something going on.”

“Don’t be surprise because there’s nothing going on.”

“You old grandma, you are no fun. Don’t k-dramas make you want to have this kind of relationship, like that drama with Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young, where PSJ was this obnoxious boss and PMY was like this perfect secretary…OMG!” Joy wide eyed stared at Irene.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Their drama fits you and Secretary Kang. I can totally imagine how your story will start, but if I can clearly remember—“

A knock on the door interrupted Joy’s blabber.

“Sorry to interupt, CEO Bae here’s your tea and coffee for you Ms. Park.”

Secretary Kang handed Joy her coffee, “you are so sweet,” and placed the tea on Irene’s table, “thanks,” Irene muttered with eyes concentrated on her computer screen.

“No problem, and CEO Bae, I will be outside in my desk and prepare for our luncheon meeting with Jennie & Co. at twelve, if you will excuse me.” Secretary Kang bowed and left.

Irene and Joy looked at each other.

A moment of silence.

“I do really find her attractive, do you?” Joy asked out of nowhere, sipping her coffee.

“I do. But not in that way that you are,” Irene safely answered with eyes back on her work.

“You mean not yet,” Joy chuckled.

“If I met her five years ago in different circumstances, I would date her,” she honestly answered. Irene didn’t have anything to hide from Joy. The head designer knew all of her.

“Why won’t you date her now,” Joy prodded.

Irene sighed and closed her laptop.

“I need her more as a secretary and less, or even not, as lover.”

“Whatever you say.”

“And why this all about me, when you are the one definitely interested with her?”

“Let’s just say Secretary Kang worship a Goddess and not a mere demigod.”

 

 

 

CEO Irene and Secretary Kang were seated on the back of a slick all black Genesis G90, heading to EatJin to meet the representative of Jennie & Co.

“I am appaled by Jennie’s complete disregard of this meeting,” CEO Bae fumed.

Irene was furious that she almost declined the luncheon with Rosé Park if not for Secretary Kang. She demanded the presence of Jennie Kim, president and founder of Jennie & Co.

Code red: Principle One

“CEO-nim, Ms. Park said that President Kim had a personal matter to tend and it was a short notice. She said that the President was very sorry and, non-verbatim ‘will make it up to you on your future meetings’,” Secretary Kang explained.

And Seulgi raised an eyebrow when Irene snickered.

If it would be anyone, they would be shocked to death.

Bae Joohyun, or internationally known as Irene, trained herself not to let any emotion displayed ever on her face, that was how she managed to survive the fashion industry full of pretense and politics; a facade.

A face devoid of expression was equaled to competence and meant 'serious business'.

Apparently, maintaining a 'poker face' could make a person much more enticing. Fortunately for Irene, she was pretty good at it and the world she revolved in seemed to love it. Everyone in the building knew about their CEO's blank yet serious demeanor, but just as how it went in her world, people find it charming and appealing.

Secretary Kang Seulgi included.

 

 

 

 

Irene Bae had two principles in life, one, the cunning bird catches worm and two, and never be the ‘worm’.

And as a cunning bird, it needed another bird to catch more worms, a bird in a form of Secretary Kang.

A remarkable employee who never let Irene lift a finger aside from her signing contracts and closing deals with a hand shake.

All her paperwork and important documents, Secretary Kang handled it.

Phone calls, Secretary Kang took it.

Appointments and meetings, Secretary Kang managed it.

Dealing with Japanese, French, American and Italian clients, Secretary Kang owned it.

Brewing her special green tea, Secretary Kang was the perfect person for it.

Secretary Kang, a very competent and efficient secretary who could read Irene like the back of her hand, more than Irene could admit to herself.

“CEO-nim, this is the last paper you need to sign. The designs that needed your approval will be dealt tomorrow.” Secretary Kang handed her Suga Spit Fire’s agreement form with an understanding smile.

Irene was already exhausted from morning to afternoon meetings, and not to add contracts and proposals to read and sign. And spending another overtime looking at designs would kill her.

Secretary Kang knew her too well.

“Thank you for a very well done work for today,” Irene thanked and grinned at her most prized employee.

After hearing another praise and a smile from CEO Bae for the day, Seulgi looked so surprised and just dumbly stood there in front Irene’s wooden desk.

Irene could never get tired of Secretary Kang’s comical expressions; it was so funny and refreshing. And seeing Secretary Kang not recovering yet, she scanned her secretary from head to toe.

A smirk could have slipped and etched her face during the meeting with Gucci’s Creative Director, as what she had thought, making Secretary Kang changed into a suit and addition with her perfect Italian, it was an all-kill.

Secretary Kang was Goddess’ charm, if she would be more truthful with herself.

However, Irene was more amused on how on Earth a secretary could be so fluent in different languages.

How on Earth Secretary Kang was all familiar with business deals and agreement clauses?

When she hired Kang Seulgi, a fresh graduate with no secretarial job experience, Irene contemplated that she didn’t read the application form, but when she saw how determined those monolid eyes that meant ‘business’, it fueled something in Irene that made her say ‘prove it’.

And for the past four years, Secretary Kang never did she disappoint Irene.

And hopefully she would never, with Goddess stepping to rise on top, she needed Secretary Kang like a bird to a cunning bird, to strive.

 

 

 

"What is wrong with Secretary Kang?"

Irene muttered to herself as she eyed the resignation letter that was placed neatly on her table by no other than Secretary Kang herself.

 

 

 

Kang Seulgi huffed as the bitter taste of Soju hit warmly.

‘Nothing is wrong with her.’

 

 

 

****

Short chap.

I am missing sleep for this.

Thank you for all the positive response even without any chapters released.

I had a hard time writing the scenes in my head into words since it's been long that I had written something in English.

Hope you enjoy this chap, so what do you think is wrong with Secretary Kang?