Chapter 3

....Then I met you

       It was a breezy autumn evening. Chanwoo tucked his head into his hoodie even further as an attempt to warm himself up. The sun was setting, its last rays emitting a slight orange hue to Chanwoo’s surrounding. He was sitting alone in the park bench, staring at a water fountain nearby. The soft sound of water flowing brought a sense of serenity. Despite the chilly weather, his heart still felt warm. Maybe because of the peace of the situation but most probably because of the person that he is currently waiting for, Hanbin. His lips curled into a smile as he hummed a random melody. Suddenly, a voice called his name from behind. His heartbeat sped up as his butterflies invaded his stomach. It’s his voice, the person he yearns for the most. He turned his head around and his heart dropped into a bottomless pit. It wasn’t Hanbin. Instead, in his place was a man who was smirking in amusement, a man he hated most, Bobby.

       “What are you doing here?” Chanwoo asked in disbelief. The man didn’t reply. Instead, he approached Chanwoo, decreasing their distance. Chanwoo wanted to run away but his feet were glued onto the ground. He tried to scream but no words would come out of his mouth. Bobby was getting closer and closer. Bobby stopped when their faces were literally inches apart from each other. He stared into Chanwoo’s eyes and lifted Chanwoo’s chin with his finger to further intensify their makeshift staring contest. Chanwoo wanted to tear away his gaze but he was frozen in place. With a smug on his face, Bobby uttered, “You can never forget about me, can you? Weak, foolish but sweet Chanwoo.” Chanwoo gulped. Bobby leaned into Chanwoo’s lips. Chanwoo closed his eyes, bracing for any sort of impact but it never came. He opened his eyes to see Bobby, acting oddly.

       “Hey! Wake up! Class is over” The words came out of his mouths. But his mannerism was quite comical and cute, something Bobby would never do. Chanwoo was confused yet again. Without a warning, Bobby hit him, hardly. This caused Chanwoo to open is eyes, which he thought were already open. As he opened them, he gasped loudly while clenching his chest. He looked around. He was no longer at a park and Bobby was nowhere to be seen. Instead, an angry looking Donghyuk was there. “Hey! I know that you can doze off in class and all but still! How can you still sleep while I was shaking you like crazy? Geez, dude. If I don’t care about you, I would just leave you like this.” Donghyuk ranted while his hands were busy packing up Chanwoo’s stuff. Chanwoo was still quite dazed as he looked around the currently empty classroom. He smiled sheepishly while scratching his eyes, trying to get rid of the last bit of sleepiness. He chuckled when Donghyuk handed to him his bag. “Hehe, thanks for caring about me. I knew deep inside that you love me more than you would like to admit. I’m so lucky to have you~” Chanwoo jokingly said. Donghyuk’s cheeks heated up as he huffed his chest.

       “I’m only doing this because my parents raised me to be a kind person.” He retorted. Chanwoo just laughed while getting up from his chair. “Whatever you say. Hey, let’s eat. I haven’t had eaten yet and I only drank a cup of coffee earlier.” Chanwoo said. “Coffee? You mean that overly sweet milkshake with extra cream and sugar? Sure.” Donghyuk said with a mischievous smirk on his face. It was now Chanwoo’s turn to feel embarrassed. “It was so bitter without cream or sugar! I was about to treat you to lunch but I guess my taste in coffee is not on par of yours.” Chanwoo said while speeding away from Donghyuk. Donghyuk laughed as he quickens his pace to catch up with Chanwoo’s. “Hey! Don’t be mad. Guess I’ll treat you to lunch instead?” Chanwoo let out a small ‘humph’ but slowed down his pace so that they would be walking side by side. “Fine. But I want expensive stuff. Buy me steak or something.” He said quietly, causing Donghyuk to burst out laughing. “You know what, sure. My parents increased my allowance so I can buy you expensive stuff.” Donghyuk said while smiling. They continued talking and discussing where to eat for lunch.

       They decided to eat at the university’s cafeteria despite all the plans they made to eat expensive stuff. It’s not because Donghyuk refused to pay for them but Chanwoo was the one who insisted that he was only joking. Donghyuk still paid for Chanwoo’s meal that day even with Chanwoo’s refusal. They ate together peacefully, making small talk without discussing any heavy subject. Everything was going quite smoothly until someone decided to smack Chanwoo’s back without any warning. Chanwoo almost spit out his half-chewed mouthful of rice and fish. He swallowed painfully to empty his mouth. He then gasped for air and let out a slight wince of pain. He didn’t have to turn around to know who it was.

       “Junhoe! Why did you do that? I could’ve died.” Chanwoo whined while pouting his lips. June grinned from ear to ear as he sat on an empty seat next to Chanwoo. He draped his arm over Chanwoo’s shoulders and side hugged him. “Sorry my baby~ I was just excited to see you. I’ve missed you so much” He cooed sweetly. If Junhoe were to do that to anybody else, they surely would’ve melted like a puddle.  Koo Junhoe, one of the most beautiful humans on campus, was also apart of the trio. Again, Chanwoo wondered how and why but still came up the same excuse that, hey, things happened. This man also likes to flirt with anyone, anywhere. Chanwoo and Donghyuk are completely immune to his flirtatious nature. Chanwoo rolled his eyes and laughed slightly. “Sure, you do. We literally saw each other yesterday and you already miss me?” Chanwoo said. Dramatically Junhoe clenched his chest and closed his eyes. “For where thou art, there is the world itself, And where thou art not, desolation.” He started his monologue. He gazed into Chanwoo’s eyes intensely, fingers underneath Chanwoo’s chin to prevent Chanwoo from escaping.

       “Oh, come on, you theater major. Just because you learned some Shakespeare play a few days ago does not mean you should regurgitate your feelings towards us.” Donghyuk said with a slight annoyance in his voice. The sudden interruption caused Junhoe to lose focus and broke out of his character. He looked over to Donghyuk and glared at him. This caused Chanwoo to laugh once again. “Maybe Donghyuk felt left out because you don’t pay attention to him, Junhoe.” He said in the middle of his laughter fit. “Why should I give any attention to this guy who can’t appreciate literature.” Junhoe retorted Chanwoo’s statement. “Well I do appreciate literature, mind you. Just the ones that don’t come from your mouth, you idiotic romanticist.” Donghyuk said and proceeded to take another bite of his food.  Junhoe scrunched his face and spat out another comeback. This resulted in one of the most childish banter to begin between the two. Chanwoo kept quiet and watched the two ‘fight’. He was not worried as Junhoe and Donghyuk do this all the time. It will resolve itself sooner or later. Suddenly, his phone vibrated indicating a text.

       Chanwoo unlocked his phone and his heart flipped over in joy. It was the one and only, Hanbin! The text read that Hanbin wanted to hang out tomorrow. He grinned and typed in a short message of agreement. The two continued chatting for a few minutes to discuss the proper arrangement for tomorrow. Chanwoo looked away from his phone when he realized that Junhoe and Donghyuk were no longer quarrelling. Instead, they were both staring at him. “Umm, why are you guys looking at me like that?” Chanwoo asked, a bit creeped out. Donghyuk’s face turned into one of pure amusement. “I see. Is it that guy that made you come late today?” He asked Chanwoo, the amused look never left his face. Chanwoo blushed and stammered. “S-so what? It’s not like I was doing anything wrong.” Both Donghyuk and Junhoe looked at each other and exchanged an evil smirk. “Why haven’t I heard about this guy though. Are you keeping secrets from me?” Junhoe further inquire. “Well, it’s because I met him yesterday when I was on my home from my part time job.” He answered quietly while avoiding eye contact from Junhoe or Donghyuk. Both of them let out a small ‘hmmm’ in response.

       “Dang man. You met him yesterday and you’re already looking like you fell madly in love. This guy must be absolutely stunning.” Chanwoo blushed even further because of Junhoe’s statement. “So, what if he is. It’s none of your business. My love life is mine to decide.” Chanwoo said, trying to sound confident. This caused both Donghyuk and Junhoe to burst out in laughter. Chanwoo felt annoyed as the two laughed for quite a long time. When they finally stopped, Junhoe wiped of some tears that escaped his eyes from laughing too hard. “By the way, who is this guy? Do I know him?” Junhoe further inquired. Chanwoo contemplated whether he should tell them or not but decided he should as to avoid further unnecessary interrogation of good-cop-bad-cop from his best friends. “Well, his name is Kim Hanbin. He is a music major, third year.” Chanwoo said calmly. He was then shocked when Junhoe’s eyes grew three times its original size and his mouth opened far too wide.

       “No ing way, man. HELL NO.” Junhoe said without blinking his eyes. Chanwoo was confused so he turned to Donghyuk. “Um, what? Donghyuk, do you know something about this.” Donghyuk just shook his head as a sign that he didn’t know what Junhoe was talking about. “Chanwoo, you don’t understand. This guy is a devil. He is one of the scariest students in our campus. You can’t possibly fall for that cold-hearted bastard.” Junhoe further explained causing Chanwoo to roll his eyes. In his eyes, Junhoe was definitely being melodramatic. Sensing that Chanwoo didn’t believe him, Junhoe further on insisted that Hanbin is a direct descendant of Satan himself, emerging from the depths of hell. “Junhoe, Hanbin was so kind and patient with me though. He was nothing like what you described, dude. Stop being so dramatic.” He said while giving Junhoe the stink eye. “Well all of them do, Chanwoo. They entice you with sweet words then BOOM! They try to force you to do something you don’t want to. Chanwoo, listen to me. He’s bad news.” Junhoe said, with such sincerity that it leaves a bad feeling in his guts. Maybe he should be a little bit more careful, he thought.

 

 

A/N: Sorry for not updating as much as I could. I wanted to explore more on Chanwoo's interaction with Donghyuk and Junhoe here so sorry if this chapter was boring to you >,>

Thanks for reading~ 

<3