Final

Mayfly

He was only 7 when his dad bought him a new book. It was not just any ordinary book, it was a book about insects. He loved nature, he loved animals, and he loved the book. So much.

He read the book everyday. There were more than thirty pages in the book, so for someone who was a beginner in term of reading, he took at least thirty days to finish the book.

And after he proudly finished the amazing book, he asked his dad about some interesting fact he got from the book, "Dad, why do Mayflies have the shortest lifespan on earth? It's so unfair that they only live for 24 hours."

His dad smiled softly before answering his only son's question, "You can't say it's unfair, Son. There's always a reason for everything. When you're growing as tall as me, try to understand it yourself and you won't say it unfair again."

The little kid didn't ask anymore. He only stared blankly at his dad. The nature mystery was too much for his little brain. He wished he never grow up.


He sighed loudly. That memory suddenly came to mind when he was alone at a bus stop. Twenty years had passed. He's no longer 7 years old boy with tiny brain. He's now a big man, a 27 years old man with a body as tall as his dad. Yet his question remained unanswered.

He still couldn't understand why Mayflies only live for 24 hours. Why did they born if they only live for the shortest period? It was like a newborn baby who just started to open their eyes and also started to breathe but after 24 hours, they died. It was so painful to imagine. What could those Mayflies do in 24 hours? They were just babies who knew nothing about this cruel world. Still, it was not fair.

Yeah, it was also not fair for him.

"Excuse me."

A deep voice suddenly broke his chain of thought. He turned his head to the left side and he found an unknown man there, sitting right beside him. Um, a handsome unknown man with tanned skin, thick lips, and slender body. And it seemed like he was tall.

"Sorry, you look pale and lost. Are you okay? May I help you?" The unknown man spoke again. He could see clearly how that man looked so concerned about his condition.

He instantly felt little bit guilty. "I'm okay," he answered politely. "And thanks, but I don't need anything."

The man beside him nodded. "I saw you here since an hour ago. Do you want to go somewhere? Or, are you confused about the bus route?" He asked again, but this time he got no answer. So, he cleared his throat and spoke again, "Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable with my questions. I'm Kim Jongin, and I worked at that coffee shop," The Kim Jongin man pointed at a shop across the road. "I saw you from there and I was worried because you were alone, pale, and didn't do anything for an hour here."

The other man's face turned red. "Sorry," he whispered slowly. "I'm Do Kyungsoo. I didn't know where to go, so I just quietly sat at this bus stop. I didn't realize that I've been here for an hour."

The taller man beside him chuckled. "It's okay, Mister Do. Sometimes we get lost in our thoughts and unable to escape until we lost count of time," he said calmly. "So, you really didn't know where to go? But, where are you from? It's almost midnight and I think you should go home."

Kyungsoo sighed tiredly. "I come from a city far from here, but I don't wanna go home just yet. I have a lot on my mind."

Jongin creased his eyebrows. "My shift just ended. Do you want to drop by my house and grab some hot choco? It's getting colder outside."

Kyungsoo's round eyes widened because of Jongin's suggestion. They were basically strangers, they only knew each other name. Some bad scenarios started to play on his mind. What if this Kim planned something bad for him?

"Oh! Did I make you feel uncomfortable again? Oh my God! I should've listened to Baekhyun Hyung's suggestion to detain my butterfly so I could stop being too friendly to anyone I meet on the street."

That weird statement got Kyungsoo more confused than ever. "Excuse me? Who is Baekhyun? And what butterfly are you talking about?"

"Baekhyun Hyung is my coworker at the coffee shop. And, did you ask me about butterfly? It's social butterfly! Baekhyun Hyung said I adopted too many social butterflies, but as far as I know, the only animals I've ever adopted are my dogs."

Kyungsoo was left speechless after hearing those nonsenses came out from the tanned male's lips. Were he trying to make some jokes? But that seemed not true because that weird man looked so damn serious when he was babbling just now.

But, the Do found that Kim Jongin was cute and funny. So, he laughed softly. "So, you're raising puppies at home?" He asked in between his laughter.

"Yes." The man beside him nodded energetically. "I live with three puppies at home. They're so cute and beautiful! Do you want to see their pictures? Wait a moment!"

Jongin fished out his phone from his mantle's pocket and started to dig his dog pictures without Kyungsoo's confirmation. Once again, Kyungsoo found the man beside him cute and innocent. Just like a puppy.

The two men happily looking at Jongin's phone screen.

"I also raised two puppies, but now I leave them at my father's house," Kyungsoo suddenly spoke again.

"Why? I think it will be better if we live with them. They're like angels, you know? When I was tired from work, they gave their spell for me and I was energetic again in instant!"

Kyungsoo chuckled again. "Now I wonder whether you live with puppies or wizard."

"Hey! Don't call my babies as wizard!" Jongin playfully punched Kyungsoo's arm.

They laughed again happily, without realizing that it's only 10 minutes away before midnight. And it's getting colder as the snow started to fall to the ground. It was winter indeed.

"So," Jongin spoke again after the laughter died down. "What's on your mind? Mind to tell me something? You know, sometimes you'll feel better after telling your story to strangers because they won't judge you."

Kyungsoo sighed again heavily. For a moment he forgot about his burden. He contemplating whether he should tell Jongin about himself or not. But, Jongin might be true. Strangers wouldn't judge you because they didn't know you well.

"Mister Kim, do you know Mayflies?"

With that question escaped from the shorter man's lips, Jongin creased his eyebrows. "Mayflies?" He asked.

Kyungsoo nodded. "Yes, the one-day insects. They only live for 24 hours."

Jongin's eyes widened. "But why? That's too cruel for them!"

"I know right!" Kyungsoo shouted loudly. "I feel pity for them because of their short live. They should live longer, make families, and be happy in this world."

Jongin nodded firmly. Even if he didn't really know about the said animal, but he did agree with Kyungsoo's opinion.

Silence took over the atmosphere before Kyungsoo started to speak again, "Mister Kim, if you're a Mayfly, what will you do in your precious 24 hours?"

Jongin didn't answer that question instantly. He took deep breath and stared blankly at Kyungsoo for a good minute.

"I think I'll just treasure those precious 24 hours." That answer made Kyungsoo tilted his head in confusion. "I mean, I'll just do whatever I want and whatever I like in 24 hours. I will not let the time's up without doing anything. I will make memories, precious memories with precious people. I will go happily with those precious memories after that."

Kyungsoo stayed silent. He stared intently at the man beside him. That man smiled softly at him, as if he was so sure with his words. And Kyungsoo returned the sincere smile. It seemed like he found the answer.

"Mister Kim, are you free tomorrow?"

Jongin was thinking hard before answering, "Yes, I'm free tomorrow since tomorrow is Sunday. Why? Do you want to ask me out tomorrow?"

Jongin was just joking, so he didn't expect to accept a 'yes' as an answer. But, that was the answer he got; a 'yes'.

"Meet me here tomorrow at nine. You will not disappoint your date, will you?"

With that last sentence, Kyungsoo stood up from his position and started to walk away, leaving Jongin with his 1001 unanswered questions.


The next day at nine in the morning. Jongin wasn't really sure to come to the bus stop again. Everything that happened last night felt like dream for him. He met Kyungsoo at a 'dangerous' time. Yes, they met almost midnight, and they parted right at midnight. Jongin started to question himself, was that all encounter just a dream? Or a nightmare?

He was unsure at first, but when he arrived at the bus stop, he knew that everything was real. Do Kyungsoo was real, and their encounter last night was also real.

He found the tiny man at the bus stop. He was wearing the same outfit as last night. He wondered, were Kyungsoo not going home last night?

In this bright day, Jongin could see how pale Kyungsoo skin and how tiny his frame. Do Kyungsoo was so beautiful for a man. With his pale skin, fluffy raven hair, plump red lips, pretty round eyes, cute button nose, and small (huggable) body, other people could easily mistook him for a high school girl. And by saying other people, that meant Jongin was also included on that list.

Yes, last night Jongin mistook Kyungsoo for a high school girl. But after having conversation with the said man, Jongin concluded that he was older than his look. He was mature enough, and he might be older than himself. But, there was something mysterious in that man that made him wonder.

Jongin's steps brought him closer to the doe-eyed male. "Hi, do you wait here for so long?"

Kyungsoo lifted his head and smiled brightly. "Mister Kim!" He screamed happily. "I arrived here five minutes ago, so that's not so long."

"I think we should drop formalities since we're going on a date today. Am I right?"

Kyungsoo's chubby cheeks redden because of Jongin's suggestion, but he still nodded his head as an agreement.

"So, where are we going today? You're the one who asked me out, so I hope you already have everything planned," Jongin jokingly said again.

Kyungsoo nodded and stood up straight. He looked up at the taller man. "Yes, I have everything planned so you don't need to worry."

With that statement, the two males started to walk away from the bus stop. They walked side by side casually. They talked about many things like old friends.

Jongin didn't ask about their destination. He only followed Kyungsoo's steps without complaining.

And they stopped in front of a restaurant.

"Do you want to eat something here?" The taller male asked.

But to the dismay, Kyungsoo shook his head. "I have a better plan than just eating. Come on!" The shorter male dragged Jongin to enter the restaurant.

Jongin couldn't be more confused when Kyungsoo dragged him to the kitchen. He was more surprised when he saw some chefs and some little kids in that place. What? Little kids in the kitchen?

"I registered us to take cooking lesson here. I always wanted to learn how to be professional cook."

"But, with little kids? Are you kidding me, Do Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo blushed when his name coming out from Jongin's plump lips. "This is the only restaurant with cooking lesson available around here. I have no choice. Plus, I'm not sure that your cooking skill is any better than them."

Jongin pouted. Kyungsoo was right. He was a bad cook. Worst cook.

So, the tanned man had no other choice and started to follow the shorther man. They greeted the chefs and also the little kids in the kitchen, and they started to follow the chef's instruction. Gonna be a long day for them.


They finished the cooking lesson thingy at 11. Those two grown up man successfully made some dishes. For Jongin case, it was all thanks to Kyungsoo for helping him in every single detail. That tall man was just so hopeless.

"I didn't expect that the cooking lesson would take 2 hours straight. It's all because of your lacking skill, Mister Kim."

Jongin snorted angrily at that mock. "Don't call me Mister Kim. I'm not that old."

"But just now you were like an old man in the kitchen. Your moves were too slow like a snail."

Jongin snorted once again. He was to tired to defend himself. "Now, what do you want to do?"

"I wanted to go to karaoke bar to sing, but there's no enough time for that."

Jongin stopped his long steps and held Kyungsoo's hand to make the latter stop as well. "What do you mean? We only started our date 2 hours ago. We still have plenty of time."

But Kyungsoo was remain silent. That made Jongin worried.

"Kyungsoo, are you okay? You look even paler than last night. Are you tired? Do we need to get some rest somewhere?"

Finally Kyungsoo moved. He shook his head rapidly. "No!" He answered adamantly. "I'm perfectly fine, Kim Jongin. I just wanna enjoy this moment with you, so we better move to other place without taking rest."

"But you don't look okay, Do Kyungsoo. And what do you mean by saying there's no enough time for us? Explain it to me!"

Kyungsoo sighed tiredly. "I'm perfectly okay, but you're right that I'm little bit tired," he answered weakly. "But all I wanna do for now is singing and you can't stop me!"

Now it's Jongin's turn to sigh. "Okay," finally he made a decision. "You wanna sing, right? But you don't wanna go to karaoke bar because you don't have enough time, right? Okay. Let's go."

Kyungsoo's body almost fell on the ground the moment Jongin pulled his hand roughly. He didn't complain though. He only tried to follow Jongin's large steps without saying anything.

But Kyungsoo was confused when they stopped at the bus stop. A place where they first met last night.

"Why do we stop here?"

But Jongin ignored Kyungsoo's question. He was busy with his phone for five minutes before he looked up at Kyungsoo again. "What song do you want to sing?" He asked, but Kyungsoo didn't answer. "I've downloaded a karaoke app, so please tell me what song do you want to sing?"

With that explanation, Kyungsoo finally smiled. "Way Back Home by Shaun, please," he answer softly.

Jongin looked for the said song without returning any word. A moment later, the instrumental version of the singer's song played on his phone.

Kyungsoo smiled blindly before he started to sing to the song.

The beautiful voice startled Jongin. He didn't expect Kyungsoo's voice would be this beautiful. His voice was so soft and velvety, deep but not rough. Jongin had to admit that Kyungsoo's voice was the most beautiful voice he ever heard in his life.

Not only Jongin who was overwhelmed by Kyungsoo's voice, but also the passerby. They stopped so that they could listen to Kyungsoo's voice better. Some of them even fished out their phone and recorded the live performance. Jongin was pretty sure that this performance would go viral.

Four or five minutes passed and Kyungsoo was welcomed by standing ovations. Jongin himself couldn't hide his feeling and clapped his hands energetically. He smiled from ear to ear, so proud of the beautiful man in front of him.

"I didn't expect you would sing this good!" He screamed happily.

Kyungsoo just smiled and dragged Jongin to sit on the bench. "I wouldn't confidently sing at the bus stop if my voice wasn't good enough, you stupid."

Jongin rolled his eyes, but he still offered his water bottle for Kyungsoo to drink. The latter gladly accepted the offer.

"But I still don't understand why you did all of this with me. Why me? And why you did what I suggested for you last night?"

Kyungsoo ignored Jongin's questions for a moment before he took deep breath and answered that questions, "Because I'm a Mayfly and I need someone to spend my 24 hours with."

"What do you mean?" Jongin asked one more time, but that question remained unanswered since Kyungsoo had no intention to answer it.

That was so confusing for Jongin.

Do Kyungsoo was like a night sky; it was beautiful but it was also scary at the same time. You could see stars and moon, and you knew they were beautiful. But the night sky was dark and you didn't know what other objects there. Were they scary objects? Or were they beautiful just like the stars and the moon? No one could be sure about that. Just like Do Kyungsoo. Jongin was not sure about the pretty boy.

Jongin sighed after thinking so hard. "I did some researchs about Mayflies last night," he said softly. "Mayflies spend most of their lifetime as nymphs. The only purpose of mayflies is a reproduction. Within this short period of life, they form groups and dance together on all available surfaces."

Kyungsoo hummed. "I know. I've read about that in my childhood book," he responded Jongin's words. "But I still feel bad for them. 24 hours is a short time. Very very short. If I were them, I would feel so afraid of death. I wouldn't know what to do in that short time. What if they don't want to go? What if they still want to live? Isn't there any way to escape? Isn't there any way to live longer?"

Jongin remained silent. He knew it. He knew it wasn't about Mayflies anymore. Yes, he knew.

Jongin looked up to the sky. He blinked his tears away. He shouldn't cry or the man beside him would cry harder and louder. More painful, more unbearable.

The tall man took deep breath to control his feeling. He looked at the man beside him and tried his best to smile. Carefully he lifted his hand in front of Kyungsoo. "Shall we dance?" He asked tenderly.

Kyungsoo wiped the clear liquid on his cheeks and returned Jongin's smile. It was so miserable. Without any word, he nodded his head and took Jongin's larger hand.

Jongin smiled and then started to play a music on his phone. He didn't care what song it was. He only cared about the fragile man in his embrace. No, he don't want to lose that man this fast. No, he don't want to let the Mayfly go. No.

They danced silently, didn't care about their surroundings, didn't care about passerby who took picture or recorded video of them. They only cared of each other. They didn't want to let this moment go.

Jongin's strong hands hugged Kyungsoo's tiny body so tight, as if the former wanted to keep the latter for himself forever, as if the former was afraid of losing the one he loved. Yes, he was afraid of losing Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo was almost the same. His hands clutched onto Jongin's shirt tightly, as if his life depended on Jongin and Jongin only. He didn't want to let go, he didn't want to go. But... He had to go.

The short man hesitantly let go of Jongin shirt. He carefully pushed Jongin's chest and looked up at the taller man. "You have to go, Jongin," he whispered helplessly.

Jongin shook his head and tried to hold Kyungsoo's hands, but the latter rejected the trial. "You have to go, and please forget this Mayfly," Kyungsoo spoke once again.

But once again Jongin shook his head. He landed his right hand on Kyungsoo's left cheek, caressed it lovingly. "I will go, but I will never forget this Mayfly."

Kyungsoo smiled sadly. "Thank you, Jongin. Thanks for your company, your understanding, and your love. You didn't ask me anything even though you were curious. You respected my feeling. Thank you."

Jongin nodded and carefully brought his lips to give its first and last touch on Kyungsoo's forehead. He kissed Kyungsoo with all his heart, with all his feeling.

And then he let the shorter male go. His hands dropped beside his body. And with his last smile, he started to walk away. Walked away from the bus stop, walk away from Do Kyungsoo. It's too fast, too short, but... too painful.

Jongin tried his best to keep looking forward, not once he looked back at the short man, even though his tears couldn't stop falling from his eagle eyes.

And when it was exactly 12 at noon, the short man fell on the ground. He closed his beautiful eyes, he shut his plump lips, he stopped his breath.


"Do Kyungsoo, do you hear me?" A middle-age man in his white coat asked softly.

The young man who lied down on the bed could hear his voice. Carefully he opened his eyes and saw the doctor's face.

"Oh, God! Thank you! You finally awake, Son!"

He could hear his father's voice next. He turned his head to his beloved father and smiled. "Dad," he whispered weakly. "Am I still alive?" He asked.

His father nodded while caressing his black hair. "Of course, Son," he answered his son's question.

"It's so good that Do Kyungsoo finally awake. But let's not forget about his real condition, Mister Do."

His father glared at the doctor who just said something hurtful. "Please don't say like that, Doctor. My son just woke up from his long sleep."

The doctor sighed. "I know, Mister Do. But we both know your son's real condition. He's awake now, but it's not for long. We've discussed about it before, haven't we? I don't want to give false hope to my patient. His meningitis is killing him slowly but surely, and if he still can open his eyes right now, it's only a bonus."

His father clenched his fist tightly. He was so angry because the doctor was so blunt and heartless.

After the doctor gone, his father turned to him again and gave him fatherly smile. "You gonna be fine, Son. Don't worry."

He smiled weakly. "I know, Dad," he responded. "Dad, can I at least live like a Mayfly?"

His father startled by his question. "What do you mean, Son?"

"24 hours. Can I at least live for 24 hours?"

And his father couldn't control himself anymore. His tears broke and he couldn't answer his son's question.

Kyungsoo remained silent and turned his head to the window beside his bed. Noon, it's 12pm. "So, I still have time until 12pm tomorrow, right?" He whispered to himself, then he turned to his dad who still crying helplessly. No, he didn't want to die here and made his father felt worse. It was enough for his father losing his mother. He didn't want to see his father losing him now.

"Dad," he called the crying man. "Can I go to the neighbor city by myself? I want to spend my 24 hours there. Let me be a free Mayfly, Dad."

His father cried louder, but the old man nodded his head. His father hugged him lovingly. He loved his father, and his father loved him. It was better for him not to let his father saw him when he was dying.


"When I was a little kid, I wondered why did Mayflies only live for 24 hours? What could they do in that short time? If I were them, it was impossible to do anything in 24 hours. I needed more time, and 24 hours was not enough. But when I was so close to the heaven door, I realized that 24 hours was so precious. I didn't expect to learn how to cook professionally in that 24 hours. I also didn't expect to sing in public place for the first time of my life in that 24 hours. I also didn't expect to dance at the bus stop in that 24 hours. And, I also didn't expect to fall in love in that 24 hours. He was a nice man who raised butterfly inside his body, he owned three puppies and he called them angels, he asked me to dance at the bus stop, he hugged me, he cried for me, but he didn't ask anything because he understood how painful it was for me. I loved him in my last 24 hours. It was hurt to leave him just like that, but I had to. I was a Mayfly, I only had 24 hours to live. After that, I would die. At least, two people I loved didn't see me dying. I was a Mayfly, and I treasured my 24 hours." —Do Kyungsoo