Damsel (not) in distress

Damsel (not) in distress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Being half human, half dragon, Seulgi can’t say if its a blessing or a curse. Being able to turn into a mythical creature is incredible, but dragons carry a stigma. 

 

No one accepts her.

 

Though she never pays much attention to it, no one bothers her, and she doesn’t bother them. Seulgi prefers to live away from normal humans, away from the constant senseless wars and the most idiotic things they could do. It’s peaceful, well, most the time; she gets occasional knights trying to get glory gained from slaying a dragon — and maybe fellow non-human beings which she is more welcoming towards. That’s life for her.

 

But today, her visitor is, without a doubt, the most eccentric she has ever met.

 

“You’re the rumoured half human, half dragon, right? Can you ‘kidnap’ me?”

 

Eccentric, indeed.

 

— — — — —

 

“Miss dragon, wake up!”

 

Seulgi wonders what made her take the oddball in. Her usual solitude shatters as soon as this princess enters her castle — Bae Irene, that’s her name — she wouldn’t leave Seulgi alone, at all. The only privacy Seulgi gets is when she sleeps or showers.

 

“The sun’s up, I made breakfast.”

 

Seulgi groggily groans, spitting a bit of fire when she yawns. “Let me sleep…” She mumbles.

 

“Your food will get cold.”

 

She sighs. “Fine.” Seulgi follows Irene down to the dining room, finding recently cooked food sets out on the table. She had told her witch friend about the existence of another person residing in her castle, and it only leads to her giving Irene whatever she needs to cook a meal. “Did Yerim gave you the ingredients again?”

 

“She offered to do so,” Irene answered. “In any case, you should eat vegetables too.”

 

“No thanks.” Seulgi nudges the greens to the side of her plate with apparent disgust. “What kind of dragon eats vegetables?”

 

“You’re still half human, you should eat properly.”

 

Seulgi grumbles as Irene feeds (slash forces) them down , questioning why she even agreed to ‘kidnap’ this hard-headed princess yet again. She wonders if it’s a blessing or a curse, on the one hand, she gets tasty homemade meals but on the other, her serene morning is nowhere to be found. (Plus, she has to eat vegetables, Irene will make sure of it.)

 

“This does not look anywhere close to a situation where a dragon is holding a princess hostage.”

 

“Because it’s only a pretence?”

 

“You know knights and mages and whatever is gonna search for you, right?”

 

“I’m sure you can fight them off, come on, one last bite.”

 

Seulgi sighs for the second time before opening for Irene to feed the last spoon. “Why did you ask me to ‘kidnap’ you anyway?”

 

“I didn’t want to get married to some random guy.”

 

“Of course, arranged marriage.” Seulgi rolls her eyes. “Typical.”

 

— — — — —

 

“Miss dragon, what are you doing?” Irene stares with undisguised interests.

 

Seulgi heaves a sigh as she drops the logs down. “chopping firewoods.”

 

“You get cold?”

 

“I’m a fire dragon, I don’t need it.” She swings the axe down continuously as she talks. “It’s for you.” Seulgi saw Irene shivering every now and then when there’s a breeze, it is getting colder with Autumn approaching. Plus, Irene has been wearing more layers, Seulgi must be blind if she didn’t notice.

 

“Thank you, Miss dragon.”

 

“You always cook for me, I ought to take care of you too.”

 

Besides, having someone freeze to death isn’t exactly appealing; the last thing she wants is a ghost haunting her place. In the corner of Seulgi’s eyes, Irene leaves the courtyard, but the half-dragon doesn’t particularly care and instead gets on with the firewoods in hope to get it all done today.

 

The coldness touches the back of her neck, she hisses at the sensation, turning around to find Irene with a smile and a wet towel in hand. Her brows knitted together, questioning what the need was.

 

“You’re sweating, so.” Seulgi doesn’t argue, she quietly accepts it and let Irene wipes the droplets across her forehead, cheeks and neck. Getting a closer look at the princess, she wonders if beauty seems to always run in the royalty blood. Truth be told, she has house other royalties before, all with similar reasons — more often it’s princesses over princes. Females never have many authorities, perhaps that’s why they even considered asking a dragon for help, a dragon. Sure, she’s a half and dragons never goes unnoticed for long. Staying a rumour is as close to no one knowing. A rumour is just a rumour; it remains as a story without proof.

 

Even so, there are people who will pursue even a rumour but regardless, do you think you can fight a seventy feet tall fire-breathing dragon?

 

“Heat doesn’t bother me much.”

 

“Still, you need to drink a lot of water.” Irene hands a glass with a smile Seulgi doesn’t have the heart to turn her down. She, again, silently does as told like a tamed dragon.

 

— — — — —

 

Seulgi rubs her temple as her witch friend and the princess chats away. Whenever a royalty stays at her castle — usually for the very same reason Irene had — they’re never this bright and energetic, they would all mind their own business while helping out but Irene?

 

Irene’s different.

 

She follows Seulgi around so relentlessly, and continuously invade her quiet life. It’s driving her insane. How could someone not be scared at the thought of living under the same roof with a dragon? The past residents may have the courage to ask but not the courage to spend every day so close to Seulgi.

 

“Have you seen her dragon form?”

 

To make it worse, Yerim is here in person with a proper conversation partner. (Seulgi often leaves Yerim to do the talking hence the lack of visits)

 

“No, I haven’t.”

 

“She’s like fifty feet tall!! Oh maybe taller? But it’s so cool seeing a mythical creature up close, a one in a lifetime opportunity.”

 

“That tall??” Irene stares with wide eyes.

 

Seulgi sighs for whatever times it is. “I’m a dragon, not a lizard.”

 

“But aren’t they similar?”

 

“Yerim, you’re confusing me with Komodo dragons, those are lizards.”

 

While Seulgi and Yerim bicker over dragons and lizards, Irene giggles and listens to Seulgi actually opening for a conversation — an argument might be a better way to describe it. Their argument could have continued for a little longer if it weren’t from some yelling outside the wall.

 

“How much do you want to bet they’re here for Irene?” Seulgi ruffles her hair with a groan, she turns to the princess. “Stay here or go with them?”

 

“I’d rather stay here.”

 

“Alright, I’ll be back.” She got up from her seat, making her way to the tower with a disinterested look. She heads up the stairs and exit to the parapet, glaring at the uninvited visitors. Two knights, three archers, and one mage. Seulgi just can’t believe how idiotic is it to fight off a dragon with just six people, this is why she moved all the way out here, away from these fools. “Stop making noise, what do you want?”

 

A few arrows fly towards Seulgi though she merely hits them to the side with a frown. “I asked a question, don’t you have some manners?”

 

“Not to a dragon, release the princess!”

 

Oh, why did I even bother talking to these dim-wits? Seulgi thought before climbing over and lands on the ground, putting the six men off-guard. “I’m a half dragon, .” Her body starts twitching before getting consumed by smokes and flame, the size continues to grow for a few seconds then vanished, leaving a fire-breathing dragon behind, her roar echoes throughout. Though as persistent as a mosquito, they yelled back and starts throwing attacks towards the humongous dragon.

 

It was… a pathetic and pitiful attempt. Seulgi grabs the six into her large hand and hurls them across — if they’re lucky then a few broken limbs if not then death at the worst-case scenario, but she hopes it’s enough to discourage them from coming back.

 

“I’m back.” Ruffling her dishevelled hair back in place, she sinks into her chair. “Why did they think that’s enough to handle a dragon?”

 

“You know men, they’re cocky.” Yerim laughs as she waves the floating mirror away. “We were watching, and you just let them hit you, look, your arms have scratches on it.” 

 

Irene’s hand travels to the bruised forearms, her fingers brushing across the wounds while she mumbles incoherent words. Soon after, it glows icy blue shades — others would have freaked out but Seulgi is also half dragon, this doesn’t compare. Though she’d be lying if she wasn’t interested in whatever Irene just did. The glow subsides and her arms lack of marks.

 

“Okay, but healing magic glows green, why does yours glow...” Yerim waves her hands around frantically. “I don’t know, blue??”

 

“Blue Phoenix. I inherited its power.”

 

Seulgi wonders how much weirder can her life gets.

 

— — — — —

 

“Miss dragon,” Irene calls, tugging the blanket draped over her shoulders. “Miss dragon?” She calls again, striding forward to the only other resident of this castle. She pokes lightly, hoping to wake Seulgi up from her slumber.

 

Seulgi gave a groan as a reply before sluggishly getting up. “What is it…?” She mumbles weakly, still half asleep.

 

“It’s cold at night.”

 

Seulgi, being extremely tired from staying up to read, doesn’t exactly have the energy to get up and light the fire for the poor girl; instead, she pulls Irene into her bed and embraces her firmly. “There.” It didn’t take long for her to drift back to her dreamland, leaving Irene to struggle with the situation.

 

As much as she’d like to get out, the warmth pulls her back and melts her in Seulgi’s arm. Although the close proximity isn’t doing her much good, she tries to ignore it and focus on the heat. A giggle escaped from her lips when her mind compares the half-dragon to a bear, a teddy bear. Irene wonders how different it would be if this dragon has a smile for once, she hasn’t seen anything besides a blank expression. The princess is certain it’d be a pretty sight.

 

Distracted with her thoughts and numerous possible ways to get Seulgi to smile, she ignored the sleepy face in front of her and eventually passed out in the warm, comforting embrace. Irene is determined to light a smile on Seulgi’s face even if it takes her years, it’s not like she’s planning on leaving anytime soon, after all.

 

— — — — —

 

“Miss dragon!” Irene’s lips spread into a bright smile as she persistently pulls Seulgi along. “I want to show you something!” Seulgi doesn’t say a word, she lets Irene drags her along without a complaint. She became accustomed to how stubborn the princess can be and learnt to go along with it to save her energy.

 

“Guess what it is.”

 

“A courtyard.”

 

Irene pouts and tries to hype the dragon up. “If you guess correctly, I won’t make you eat vegetables for a week.”

 

“I have not a single clue what you want to show me but sure.” Seulgi exhales before giving it a couple of thoughts, but it’s just a courtyard, and they’re out here, away from people, what is there possibly? “Still have no idea.”

 

Irene giggles before leading Seulgi to a scenery full of flowers blooming, new sight to the bland castle.

 

“It’s autumn, why are the daffodils blooming? Summer flowers are here too.”

 

“I used a spell to make them bloom all year round.”

 

“You’re gonna have to water them because I won’t.”

 

Her shoulders drop in disappointment when Seulgi completely missed the point, it just flew over her head. “That’s not why I brought you to see them.”

 

“Then why did you?”

 

A long, defeated sigh leaves Irene’s lips, she wonders if this dragon appreciates anything at all. Though it’s still too early to give up, she’ll find a way.

 

Oh, she will.

 

— — — — —

 

“Miss dragon!” Irene calls energetically, jumping up and down with something in her hand. “Look!” She opens up her small hand to reveal a red gemstone, a fire opal though no ordinary one.

 

“What about it, aren’t diamonds worth more?”

 

“No, no, this fire opal has a sunset in it!” As a fan of the sky, Irene finds this pretty exciting but for Seulgi, someone who has lived for hundreds of years, it’s beyond dull. “Isn’t it beautiful?”

 

“In my opinion,” She says in the most nonchalant tone, “I think you’re more beautiful.” Seulgi is merely stating her viewpoint, but anyone would take it a compliment, or even a flirt, nevertheless, Irene’s pale complexion takes after the colour of the fire opal in her two little hands within a couple of seconds.

 

“Gemstones are just rocks, so.”

 

The second comment, however, muddied the previous sentence, Irene felt stupid for getting giddy over a compliment when Seulgi implied she compared her to rocks. (At least she’s prettier than a bunch of stones, to make her feel somewhat better.)

 

“Dumb dragon.”

 

Seulgi frowns, watching the princess stomping her feet out of the room dumbfounded. "What?"

 

— — — — —

 

“Miss dragon,” Like all other days, Irene calls for the dragon. “Do you want to try cooking?”

 

Seulgi looks up from the paper, her charcoal stained hand stops on their track. “Are you asking me?” She sets her equipment aside, brushing the bits of black dust off of her hands — inevitably sighs when she saw the state of her hands. “Or are you forcing me?”

 

“I’m forcing you would be more accurate.” She holds out another apron. “Go wash your hand and put this on.”

 

“Yes, mum.”

 

“You’re the old one.” Irene throws her little fist at Seulgi.

 

As someone who has never touch any of the things in the kitchen — she usually just hunt animals and roast them over the fire — Seulgi doesn’t have any idea if she’s getting in the way or if she’s helping out. Her movements are hesitant and clumsy, mirroring that of a complete novice; which isn’t entirely wrong. Irene giggles before moving closer to guide Seulgi’s hands from the side. (She’s shorter so there’s no way she can help from behind.)

 

“I don’t get any of this.” Seulgi frowns. “What’s the difference between a bridge and a claw grip, can’t I use either?”

 

Irene, being a patient person, explains everything slowly at a pace Seulgi can follow, although it proceeds with difficulties and constant silly mistakes — it only makes her more endearing, seeing a different side than the usual ones. Even if her brows are knitted together like most days, this is a little different. She’s putting in effort in other things, after all.

 

With the kitchen turning into a bit of a mess, and one or two questionable fails, Seulgi managed to make a decent omelette. “That’s it, no more, you handle the food, I’d rather not cook again.”

 

Irene laughs. “But you managed to make an omelette!”

 

“Yeah, well, I charred one, and the other wasn’t cooked properly.”

 

“But you got there in the end.”

 

“I failed twice.”

 

“It takes practice.” Irene rolls her eyes before cutting a part of the omelette. “Say ahh~” While Seulgi wasn’t as childish, she does let the princess feeds her without a complaint (to avoid getting it shoved down .)

 

“By the way.” Seulgi asks, “Why do you speak informally?” She did expect more from a princess, past royalties that stayed with her were dignified and held courtly manners, a one-eighty spin from Irene. If anything, you might not even realise she’s a princess if you have not heard or seen her before. Her choice of words is way too lax.

 

“I never liked being so formal.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Everyone’s always watching every move I make, every word I speak,” Her lips pressed into a thin line as she collects her thoughts together. “I have to watch myself all the time, it’s tiri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter