The Kyoto Incident

NINJA (A Reply 1430 story)

Documented by Yasuo Namekawa.

 

 

 

 

I was now in control. I could feel it, feel the warm blood coursing through my veins, smell the wounds on my chest ripped open. I... I felt good. The scars and bruises felt awesome on my body. I grinned and leapt off the roof, tasting the cool wind rushing past me. I glided down onto the floor, my bones making a fuss as they clicked with protest. But all of this carnage, this destruction, made me feel right at home.

 

I would now punish those so-called ninjas. Gambling, kidnapping, stealing, there were so many crimes to list. And also the papers. I had memorised them in that split second of the explosion. I would now show them a true ninja.

 

Dusting my clothes, I went to the square, where Yook Sungjae would be giving his daily speech. And I was so eager to disturb his ceremony. I sprinted with strength, speed, and the agility that Kangnam never possessed.

 

Within leaps, I had made it to the centre of the square. Everyone, especially Ilhoon and Minhyuk, looked amazed. Judging from their astonishment, they could not even begin to wonder why I was still alive. I had been blown to kingdom come, yet I was standing here, a mask of fury etched onto my features.

 

And so I punched Ilhoon in the face. Gleefully, I looked at my fist, smothered with his blood as well as my own. The ring of ninjas seemed shocked.

 

Yook Sungjae rose from his seat. His face, once shocked, now contorted with anger.

 

"Who is it, standing before me, that thinks his being here gives him the right to punch my brother in arms in the face?" He thundered. "Seize him!"

 

Without being told twice, Minhyuk and Ilhoon launched themselves up from their seats, directly at me. I ran a hand along the cold stone floor, suddenly kicking Minhyuk on the face squarely. He coughed, blood spattering his clothes, as he wiped his mouth briefly. Which, in fact, gave me time to deal with an armed Ilhoon. He hefted a steel spiked mace, and he swung said weapon down onto my torso. I caught it with my bare hands, flipped it and threw Ilhoon across the square. Adrenaline surged through me as I punched Minhyuk down to the floor.

 

I was amazed at my own strength. I did not know Kangnam's body possessed such speed and power, and I was certainly surprised. Kangnam did not understand the potential he had. I now used it, to avenge his poor soul. I spun and kicked a sneaking Ilhoon, flinging him down, while at the same time flinging Ilhoon's mace back at the owner, knocking him out cold. Finally, I snapped Minhyuk's elbows from their joints, rendering his martial arts useless. It had been him who orchestrated the explosion.

 

The battle was over just moments after it started.

 

Sungjae was practically wheezing with anger. "Get him!"

 

Four ninjas whom I did not know the name of sprinted out, surrounding me. I put a finger onto the ground, launched myself in the air and spun my torso, kicking the four of them on their jaws. They crumbled.

 

My sensei, Yook Sungjae, was undeterred. "Fetch me my sword," he barked at a small ninja, "and be quick!"

 

I ran across the square, dealing cuts and blows to the ninjas' heads. Using just seven minutes, I had eliminated almost all of the assassin squad in Kyoto.

 

He shook off his black robe grandly, exposing his scar-filled chest. "If you want to fight, then I can accompany you." He unsheathed a silver sword, cast with various jewels and stones. "But my sword has never failed me. I hope to turn you into my 746th corpse."

 

I took out my copper sword, dim and blunt. I flexed it expertly in my hand, and lunged for Sungjae. Immediately he was gone, and I jumped in an almost parallel line to his sword. He nodded briefly, as I dodged his fast attacks. If it wasn't for my fury, skills and purpose, I'd have already lost. No, I was already losing, because I did not even have time to counterattack. His moves were endless.

 

Soon, I had reached the end of the square, and there was no space for me to hide to. I glanced at my surroundings and, as I heaved a breath, I jumped up.

 

Sungjae stopped his attacks for a moment and waited for me to fall down. 

 

Which I didn’t.

 

I grabbed hold of a tree branch, leaped on top of it, crouched down and planned my next move.

 

Sungjae growled, and began to hack away at the trunk of the tree. Said tree wobbled, and I hurriedly jumped to another tree.

 

I pondered my next move. Should I face him directly in combat, or should I use another plan? Meeting this man in straightforward combat was the last thing I wanted to do.

 

I was still thinking when Sungjae began to climb the tree. I immediately panicked, shaking so hard that the whole tree trembled. Although I had defeated several ninjas, I had yet to meet a truly formidable foe. And lo behold, the heavens send me Yook Sungjae, the ninja with a cruel heart and an unmerciful blade. He was now inching step by step to my branch, where I was desperately scouting for an escape route. There was nowhere to go.

 

I brought out my copper sword and swung the dull metal at Sungjae. He ducked, parried, and counterattacked all while holding onto the tree trunk. I recoiled from his sharp blade, watching it swing away like a windmill. I parried with my own blade, only for the copper to be sheared neatly in half.

 

I coughed, surprised, and he climbed further up.

 

The remaining ninjas below me watched with interest, and I saw Sungjae's murderous eyes as he climbed up a final branch. Now I had two options paved out for me; both of which I did not want to choose from. Fight or jump. I knew that the first option was not really an option, since I would not be his match. And jumping would also be foolish, since this was a five-metre drop, and there were ninjas who would be just as eager to kill me. But judging from Sungjae's movements, I knew I had to act fast.

 

With a graceful leap, I jumped off the tree, landing in a simple crouch. I immediately kicked a ninja in the face, swiped another off the ground and punched the third on his chest. Though not fatal attacks, it was sufficient for me to take off to the castle.

 

Sungjae was not so fortunate. Being a person who spent (almost) all his life gambling and drinking, he was not nimble. Nope. He jumped like a pigeon, arms flapping and face awkward, and sprawled onto the ground. Out of the ninjas who were chasing after me, half of them spun around and ran to Sungjae's side, afraid of a punishment.

 

I leaped up, jumping to the rim of each floor instead of taking the stairs. Eventually, I reached the top of the castle. Furious bangings were heard on the stairs, as the passage had been blocked by rubble. I smiled. So far so good.

 

A pair of hands grabbed hold of the edge, and I was struck with horror. After all of the things I had done, after all of the strength I had wasted, I was still going to be captured. How would I avenge Kangnam then?

 

The hands pressed on the stone, and a person rose up, carrying another person below her. "You forgot that I'm good at climbing cliffs."

 

"You scared me." I told her. "You were Kangnam's friend. I remember."

 

"Of course I scared you." Sana muttered. "But why are you talking about yourself in the third person?"

 

"I am a third person." I tilted my head. "Kangnam is dead."

 

"What?" Momo furrowed her eyebrows. "I know an explosion occured, but... look at you! You're safe. You're alive. You're still Kangnam!"

 

"I am not." I replied, frustrated. "Kangnam is dead."

 

"Are... have you gone mad?" Sana grabbed my collar, pushing me with such force that I nearly fell off. "Are you hurt or something? How can you not be Kangnam? You're here, aren't you? What on earth happened?"

 

"Kangnam. Is. Dead!" I roared, so loud that Sana recoiled from me. "He was killed during that explosion. I am not Kangnam. I repeat, Kangnam was killed and is now deceased."

 

"Then what are you? You know us, so it can't be amnesia or concussion. Or insanity. How on earth are you behaving like this? Please tell me you're faking. Please. Whatever we did wrong, I can fix it. Just... just say what is wrong now. I'd give anything to have the old Kangnam back." Sana's whispers were barely audible as tears stained her face.

 

"There's nothing to be done." I sighed. "His mind has been fried from the explosion, triggering my character to appear as the dominant mind in his body. Please do not make this worse by sobbing. I have sworn to avenge this boy, and I shall fulfill that promise. And for the record, the ninja code forbids feelings." I strode to the top of the rubble, leaving the two girls to do... well, whatever they wanted to do. They were not my priority now.

 

Sungjae was nowhere to be seen. I assumed he had entered the castle.

 

I walked down and hefted a piece of rubble out from the staircase passage. Fuelled by anger and determination, I hit the remaining rubble with my two fists, and I heard cries as the rubble crumbled into the stairwell. That must be the ninjas trying to get through.

 

I carried on, blasting a passage with my raw strength. Wood and metal gave way, and I walked into the castle, starting to dispatch the ninjas patrolling the structure.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sungjae was in the masters' room, drinking a cup of wine shakily, when I kicked open the door. He rose up, pupils diluted and torso shaking, and his stance reminded me of my own, on my first day in Japan. One word to sum it up - defeated.

 

The fight was already over.

 

 I went over and sat in his seat. There was no protest, except for a sigh.

 

"I had this coming, right?" Sungjae mustered words, but they were barely comprehensible becuase of his slurs.

 

"From the moment you defied the ninja code, you had this coming." I replied. Though I did not have any mercy for this person; he just seemed like a normal drunkard now instead of the teacher who'd taught me my arts.

 

"You memorised the papers." Sungjae whispered hollowly, and I nodded.

 

"They contain some insanely detailed information concerning the crimes of these ninjas. I cannot believe you would defy the ninja path to this extent." I listed out his deeds in my head. "To a certain extent in which you would assassinate the former Emperor of Japan, and cause a street brawl - in the middle of the palace, which led to the deaths of 57 royals and 203 servants."

 

"That was my assignment." Sungjae shook his head.

 

"Paid assignment. You were hired by the Hokkaido Triad to commit this crime. Also, you and several ninjas have been involved with the sinking of the royal fleet. There are also 79 crimes which I haven't yet spoken of and 280 minor crimes which were not so detailed." I trembled with fury. "Have you no respect for the ninja code?"

 

"None at all." Sungjae replied. He then poured another cup of wine. "Have you ever thought about why my Korean status would allow me to become a ninja here?"

 

"Sometimes. Sometimes Kangnam wonders why too." I honestly replied. He looked at me quizzically, then continued his story.

 

"I had a family. Not a rich one, with a big house, but a small and poor one, with little money and no property. I had a wife, and she was very beautiful. She was a Japanese named Myoui Mina. Very beautiful, with features like a swan. She was my perfect angel, descended from heaven to make my life perfect. I was happy, and so was she. We built a wooden house in Joseon, and we lived there peacefully. We even gave birth to two baby boys.

 

"Then one day, a man came into our house with a knife. He told us to give him everything that held value. I poured out all of my pennies and gave them to the man, but that was not enough. It was a stormy night, and the man did not want to leave with such a small amount of money. And so he took away my younger son, who was still a one year old infant. My elder son, at the age of nine, tried to stop him, but he ended up being thrown to the ground. He never recovered, and it looked like he suffered from anmesia because of the concussion.

 

"My wife was horrified, and she died just days later. It had been a shattered dream. My son also ran away, and soon I was the only one left. I went to Japan, gambled for spare change, and wound up in the ninja game like you did. And though I was apprenticed, I was not disciplined. I set out to hunt for that man, the man who tore my family apart. I wanted to find him and also both of my sons."

 

I went silent. Then I had a question. "What were the names of your sons?"

 

"The elder one was named Yook Wonhyung. The infant was named Yook Jungkook. Though I don't suppose they'd remember their names. The only clue to their identity was a necklace that I'd hidden on the baby, which had the name 'Jungkook' inscribed on it. The thief would have thrown it away though, so it is pointless to search for my sons. However, I caught the thief some time later."

 

"What was his name?" I asked curiously.

 

"Kim Namjoon." Sungjae replied. "Heaven knows what he had done to my son now. I flayed him and hung him in Jeonju."

 

"And what about your elder son?" I asked.

 

"I had given up. Though I remembered that the Emperor of Joseon had put up a notice saying that he wanted a play partner for his daughter Dabin, and my son was very interested. He was confident he'd make friends with her. Of course, I did not allow him to go." Sungjae said. "I half expect him to be drawn to that notice."

 

I trembled. "When did you lose your son?"

 

"Oh, around 1412." Sungjae replied.

 

1412. His son was nine years old in 1412. Kangnam was fourteen years old this year, which was 1417. That meant... no... maybe Kangnam was his son!

 

And if Kangnam were his son, he had killed his own son. That made me angrier, if such a feat was possible.

 

I heaved a breath. "Rest now, father." I raised my blade.

 

Metal slashed through flesh and bone, and he collapsed in a heap.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wiped my blade clean. All of the ninjas had been eliminated by this point, and I walked back to the rooftop.

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a metallic flash, and I instinctively ducked. A throwing blade impaled a wood pillar just beside me.

 

I immediately saw Ilhoon holding Momo and Sana hostage, while Minhyuk assumed a fighting stance. I knew something was afoot.

 

"Take another step, and the girls die!" Ilhoon hollered, and I stopped.

 

"That's right. Now, we shall leave, and if you try anything, I shall not hesitate to kill these girls." Ilhoon strode closer to the edge of the castle. Sana's eyes were dim with hopelessness, while Momo was looking around. I felt like I should attack Ilhoon right away, but I knew they were not joking.

 

I was preparing to sprint forward when the unexpected happened.

 

Momo crashed her head onto Ilhoon's blade.

 

Before the two ninjas had figured out what had happened, I lunged forward, pushing Ilhoon off the castle, and roundhouse - kicked Minhyuk on his temples, killing him instantly. I ran over to Momo, where she lay, panting, her consciousness about to fade away.

 

"No, no, no. Not like that. You can't die like that!" By saying these words, I made myself believe that she could survive. She could hold on because of my pointless screaming.

 

"It's okay." Momo's voice was eerily calm. "Whoever you are, I'm glad that I died for a purpose. I- I loved him. And though he has died, or so you insist, I am grateful that I have died for him."

 

We watched Momo's hand become limp.

 

I straightened up my back, and for the first time, I felt remorseful. I felt regretful. I felt like I should have talked things through with her. She was now dead, and I hadn't the chance now.

 

Sana was still crying.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And the Grand Ninja watched us, the survivors, from a nearby podium. He knew that, despite all his losses, all the deaths of his ninjas, he had been rewarded. With a strong, agile, determined, iron-willed ninja. The very best.

 

A ninja so fierce, he could take on the Koreans and the Jurchens in the north. They should make history.

 

But what he did not notice was that this ninja had feelings. That made him powerful but also vulnerable. A wild card.

 

And though I had earned the name of the Dreamstrike, Yasuo Namekawa, I would still have more challenges to come. I would meet more foes, each one stronger than the next, and I would defeat them. I would slay them. I would try my best.

 

And I would remember Sungjae's story. I would try to find my missing brother, Jungkook. I would locate him, confront him and tell him everything.

 

Because there are many possibilites in the world. And there is hope.