MBP

Mistakes and Broken Promises

He didn't know what brought him there. He just... stand there, hands on both pockets of his trench coat and looking up to the tree in front of him, he was surrounded by white, its winter now, the leaves falling down before on this tree was long gone and now snow was scattered on the ground, the wind was blowing his hair and coat westside but he didn't pay any attention to that or even in the cold breeze of air hitting his face.

Mingyu bowed down his head and kicked the snow under him, he remembered something from the past, a flash of bittersweet memories flooding his mind...


--

8-year-old Mingyu was fumbbling on the sand on their common playground near a college university at time, the tree's leaves were falling down around him as he continue to play when he heard someone crying.

Not knowing what it is, he still searched for the sound which lead him at the back of the tree. A kid, looking like a year older than him, hugging his knees while his face was burried in it keep on crying.

"Hey, if you don't stop crying. The ants will eat you." he said trying to scare the kid.
The kid looked up to him and said, "There's no ant on this place that's why I came here, idiot." Mingyu didn't know what to say so he just sat right next to the kid.

"Why are crying?" he asked, the kid didn't respond right away so Mingyu sat there quitly.

"My mom and dad aren't always at home..." the kid started talking and then eventually, he was crying again. Mingyu listen to everything he said until he stop to blow his nose on the handkerchief he has.

"If you want, you can come to our house." Mingyu said without hesitation, eyes turned big while nooding his head. "I'll introduce you to my grandma, she makes the best kimchi in the town! And I will be forever by your side so you wouldn't feel lonely." Mingyu said assuring Wonwoo.

--

Time flies quickly, a 20-year-old Mingyu flopped his head on his desk right after their teacher exited the room, it made a thud sound and he just squinted his eyes feeling tired upon listening to their professor's preaching, he slowly open his eyes when he heard a soft chuckle beside him. The man beside him also had his head on the desk pillowing his own arms, his right hand dangling on the edge of the desk, Mingyu can only see his eyes but based on the sparkle on them, he knows he's smiling, their eyes met, Mingyu really likes to stare at latter's fox-liked eyes, the black colored orbs makes him lost in his own track of time and rationality.

"Don't do that..." the man said, he smiled upon hearing that.

"Wonwoo, I don't want to study anymore!" he whined, Wonwoo laugh scrunching his nose, his head was thrown back for laughing so hard and after that he rest his head on the palm of his right hand and stared at him intently, smile still plastered on their faces, it was one thing he observed about Wonwoo, his nose scrunch and the way he stare, it was fascinating, they could be staring at each other and not get tired, it was only between them, only them could understand each other, only them. He wished they had all the time.


--


Mingyu woke up from his daydream when he felt a cold drip of snow touched his left cheek, he shook his head to wake himself up, heaved a deep sigh to control his emotions, and walked away from the tree, hands still on his pockets and a bowed down head, all he thinks at that time was everything was his fault.


--


"Let's go somewhere after class." Mingyu said while he carelessly shove his books inside his bag looking at Wonwoo on his side.

"Can't you fix your things 'much more' orderly?" Mingyu saw how Wonwoo's eyes squinted on him and he blew up laughing, he wrapped his right arm around the latter's shoulder and said "My treat today" while smiling and dragging Wonwoo outside the school.

 

"Where are we?" Wonwoo asked looking around the place, for a restaurant, this is quite... small for Wonwoo's thinking. Mingyu quietly eyed him while he still examines the place, they were already seated at the far side of the restaurant where not alot of people would dare to sit, the old round wooden table at the center, the ancient chair they were sitting, Wonwoo doesn't suit here kept on playing in Mingyu's mind... Wonwoo was used in luxurious things and places, he never eats on this kind of place, he's an heir for god's sake! But he wants the older to know what he used to do during free time, where he goes, the people he knew, his favorite eating place, everything, he wants to show Wonwoo everything in him.

 


"The food..." was the first thing Wonwoo said after they went out from the restaurant. Mingyu immediately looked at him, his heart raced, did he not liked it? At that thought Mingyu felt, not sad but disappointed... He was disappointed in himself, he wished he had the money to bring Wonwoo in a much more decent place, he looked down on the ground.

"What is it called? I really loved it!" His face lit up and a he unbelievably gawked at Wonwoo.


"...it's just a cheap ramyeon" a smile made its way straight on his face, his smile doesn't quiver and he have to looked away so Wonwoo wouldn't see him. They continued to walked down the sidewalk through the bus station, as the sun sets behind them, they were quietly walking and it wasn't awkward... It was comfortable, being just the two of them, walking in the dim lit households, some posts with its light flickering and the sound of silence. They could be forever like this.

"Cook that for me someday..." Wonwoo said. This is the first time him and Wonwoo went out together without the latter's bodyguards tailing them. He didn't tell Wonwoo but for him this is a date and he hoped Wonwoo thinks the same. 


--


"Did you already called for your driver?" Mingyu asked when he saw they were reaching the bus stop.
"No, I forgot..." Wonwoo said.
"You should call them now" the older nodded its head and dialed the number. The bus that Mingyu needs to ride was already there but he didn't move making Wonwoo looked at his way, their eyes met, Wonwoo was still talking on his phone so they were looking at each other for a moment.

"Why didn't you take the bus?" Wonwoo asked after he hang up his phone, forehead creasing examining him.

He didn't reply distracted by Wonwoo's look, the latter frowned at him.

"Kim Mingyu..." there was warning on his voice, Mingyu needed to blink enumerable times just to focus on their conversation.

"I'll wait until your driver comes." Wonwoo's frown was still there. "You don't have to do that..."

"Just let me." Mingyu said smiling, his canined teeth was showing. Wonwoo looked away from him and he didn't had the chance to see the older's expression.

Moments later, a familiar black range rover car was in front of them, when Mingyu saw who the driver was, he immediately looked down... Something's going to happen again.


"Bye, take care." He said looking at Wonwoo who was already entering the car.
"I'm the one who should be saying that." the older replied looking at the time on his wrist watch "Its already past 8, don't go anywhere and go straight to your house, your granma would worry."
"Aye, Captain!" Wonwoo only shook his head and smile.

"I'm going now..."

At that moment Mingyu really wanted to say those eight-letter-word but being him and all of his insecurities eating him up, he just decided to waved a goodbye to Wonwoo.

And he regrets not saying those.


--
Wonwoo's mother didn't know they have something, but he can clearly see the dislike on Mrs. Jeon's face everytime he picked up Wonwoo from their house. She already confronted him many times without Wonwoo knowing it but Mingyu isn't Mingyu if he listens to that, he will still stand by Wonwoo side until they can't walk around the city and watch the stars at night on the top of the hills anymore.


So when Mingyu found himself beaten down on the ground that night from a long commute after he made sure Wonwoo's okay after his car lost in his sight, this isn't really new to him.

He was surrounded by four men, all of them was wearing black tuxedo and Mingyu would lie to himself if he says he didn't know them. Another luxurious car was in front of him, but this time, for another reason...

Mingyu knows who was inside the car and glared at it, the car door opened unveiling the person and all he can do at that time was to grit his teeth.

"I told you to stop leaching onto my son..." Her voice was calm but there was venom in it, Mingyu didn't say anything, he's still gritting his teeth from anger and frustration.

Mrs. Jeon raised her hand signaling her bodyguards to stop what they were doing to the poor boy. Mingyu clutched his stomach in pain and blood slowly flow out from a cut on his lower lip and from his temple. He couldn't move even an inch, his body felt numb from all the punches and kicks he got.

"You know I did a background check on you right? An abandoned child... only lives with his grandmother who has a small eatery at the downtown, she's probably waiting for you inside the house..." Mrs. Jeon said looking down at him. His body frozed, his grandma was the only one he has, she raised him independently and supported his relationship with Wonwoo without question.

"If its money, you don't have to stick with my son I can give you that, stop meeting with him now!"

Mingyu tried to move with pain shooting up on every corner of his body.
"Madam... Please, I love your son... I really do love him..." with crooked voice he still managed to say those word, he fell on his knees feeling an excruciating pain on his side.

"My son doesn't need you. If you won't stop what your doing I'll give what you're asking for." And then there was silence.

"We're going abroad and stay there for good, we're planning to let Wonwoo finished his degree there, he doesn't need someone like you, if you can be considerate, break up with my son now. He refuses to come with us because of you, you are a hindrance in my son's future." He can hear their footsteps distancing and then their car engine roared, they left him there. Mingyu was shocked at what Mrs. Jeon said, Wonwoo doesn't want to go with them because of him... He smiled at that thought but... Is he really a hindrance?

Mingyu fell on the ground feeling the burning pain his body's experiencing right now, he spread his arms on the ground and felt the cold breeze of night air hugged his body, he closed his eyes feeling exhausted and sleepy, he wondered if someone would saw him there.


--

He woke up on a familiar room, he tried to move but the pain attacked him, he decided to just lay down. He was in his room, someone probably saw him lying there that night. The old wooden door of his room creeked and his grandma showed with a basin and towel in hand, he wanted to helped but he can't move his body.

His grandmother sighed seeing him lay on the bed. Mingyu was weighing the surrounding, he couldn't look straight at her, should he tell her grandma what happened?

"I won't ask how you get that cuts and bruises for yours again but remember this son. If it's worth fighting for, then I might as well suggest you go for it." It was like there's a string that has been cut on Mingyu's emotion and he cried his heart out hugging his grandmother.

"This kid..." He heard his grandma said while hugging him back and comforting him.

 

--


Mingyu didn't attend his classes for 3 days straight since he's still recovering from what had happened that's why when he saw Wonwoo in front of their house with his backpack and books still carrying and glaring at him, he couldn't hide the shock on his face.

"What happened to you?" He can tell Wonwoo was angry. He scratched the back of his head with an awkward laugh.
"I stumbled on something--"
"You're a terrible liar." Wonwoo cut him, the older nudge him so he wouldn't block the entrance of their house making him winced in pain.

"Hey Mingyu! I'm sorry!" Wonwoo was in panick, and although his side was really painful he decided to play along.

"It hurts..." he said clutching his side and acted on an Oscar's winning award level.
"Where??? I'm really sorry..." Wonwoo was checking him feeling guilty at what he did.
"Here." Mingyu pouted his lips making the older stared at him coldly.

"Okay, okay, I'm just kidding but it really hurts aye!" Wonwoo was the first to enter the house and he followed.

"Where's grandma?" Wonwoo asked, he's already comfortable with them and their house and it's actually much more comfortable than his family's.

"She's still in the eatery, I was going with her this morning since I'm gaining back my strength but she poked me with her stick! Can you see this???" Mingyu raised the sleeve of his t-shirt and show Wonwoo a small bruise. "It's from her!" Wonwoo laugh at how Mingyu animatedly told him what happened.

"... aren't your parents looking for you?" Mingyu asked after a long silence. "No." Was Wonwoo's only reply.

 


--

"Grandma... What happened to the eatery?" Sadness was evident on his voice.
"Someone said a rich businesswoman bought the place. We can't do anything about that..." 


Mingyu's life took a huge turn at that time, he attend classes and hang out with Wonwoo at morning and work for 8 hours at night. He can't barely stand on his feet since he doesn't have the enough sleep to keep going and he has to continuously do job searching because he kept getting fired at his previous ones. He has the idea of what was going on but he can't let these things ruined him down.


That day, Wonwoo told him his parents were planning to migrate in US, but he refused it. Mingyu knows why but he still pushes Wonwoo to come with them which made the older silent. Mingyu knows Wonwoo's already mad.


As days passed by, things gets worst for Mingyu, he stopped going to school and dedicated his time for work, he can barely talk to Wonwoo and they eventually... lost communication. When Wonwoo was awake, Mingyu was the opposite or too busy.

And another unfortunate thing happened in Mingyu's life...

He tried to wake up his Grandmother that morning, he already cooked and prepared everything on the table. Mingyu tried shaking his grandma's shoulder again but he didn't received any response. He called her name to wake her up, his voice getting higher at each call until the sound his expressing turned into cries and pleas.

His grandmother died. He tried reaching for Wonwoo that day, he tried texting and calling him but he wouldn't answer the phone, he went to their school to check if he was there but until the very last student walked out, he didn't saw Wonwoo.

He feels alone, without anyone he can talked too.

That night, Mingyu decided to went to the Jeon's mansion, afraid that their bodyguards might caught him, he silently went to the house's backyard and looked up. The back window of Wonwoo's room was in front of him, the lights were still on but there was nothing he could use to climb up to the balcony's room.

He looked at everywhere to find something that could helped him, and he did. A Jeon's housemaid was busy fixing something on the lawn that night, he immediately went to her and the woman almost screamed in shock.

"Please! Please help me!" He handed the letter he made for Wonwoo. "Please give this to Wonwoo." Mingyu slipped his arm to the railings further, desperate for the maid's help. The woman wearily took the piece of paper from his hand.

"Thank you! Thank you for helping me!" He said almost crying. The housemaid looked at him with uncertainty for a minute until she finally said "This seem to be important but... The Jeon family's flight is tonight..." Feeling down casted for a moment he almost lost all his will but Mingyu was determined.

"Tell Wonwoo I'll wait. I will wait for him at the school's old tree."

--

 


Mingyu felt his whole world came crashing back at him, he was already meters away from the old tree when he stopped walking and came back running to the tree ignoring the freezing air, there's something telling him to wait, something's telling him stay there for a minute.

For eight years he's still waiting for him to come to this place, he hoped Wonwoo received the letter he gave.

Fool, a small voice inside him said, if he received it that day, he would at least come by and talked to him.

Minutes turned hours, Mingyu's hands were freezing, he held his hands onto his mouth in hopes of warming them through his breath and rubbed his palms together. He finally decided to get going and leave the place, he checked out the view again for the last time, this place has a lot of memories for him, this place is the witness of everything in him, through his ups and downs, when he's happy or sad, just everything, he's about to leave when he heard someone laugh... A familiar laugh actually, he immediately looked all over the place, his breathing hitched and he desperately searched where the laugh came from.

He can't be wrong, he knows who owns that voice, even if decades will pass, he'll surely know who it came from... And his eyes directed to the man running, he was looking at his back, he was probably running from someone.

The man stopped and placed both of his hands on his knees catching his breath, the snow falling didn't gave justice on how beautiful he is even after all those years they didn't see each other and then again, Mingyu found himself mesmerized by the scenery as the man slowly looked up and their eyes met.

Just like how they first met, under this tree, no one dared to talked. Mingyu couldn't find the courage he had mustered for years at that time, his mind went blank seeing him again.

Should I say hi first? Then after that what?

His mind is in haywire and so his heart. The man infront of him stood up straight and fixed his trench coat and smiled at him.

"Mingyu..." he was caught off guard, his breathing became rapid, it almost felt like his heart was going to burst.

He's still in shock, couldn't think properly and paralyze, the smile he had longed for is now in front of him.

"Wonwoo..." the pounding of his heart only increase that he thought he's going to have a cardiac arrest right at that moment. He stepped closer to him and smiled. Wonwoo's hair is neatly done showing his forehead and it screams maturity, and although he can't see his body through his coat he can tell how well his body built now albeit of being skinny. His proprotions are much more emphasized now than before.

"How have you been--" 

"Wonwoo~" Everything that Mingyu has to say was caught up his throat. A man hugged Wonwoo from behind and snuggle onto him.

"Why did you run???" The man asks, he placed his chin on Wonwoo's shoulder and glanced at Wonwoo's face pouting.

The man was tall, but Wonwoo's taller.
He looks like a model at his stance and Mingyu just somewhat thought the man is just simply magnificent at everything he does and before he knew it, his insecurities are eating him up again.

Wonwoo turns and hug the man back, "You said you can catch up." and with that, Wonwoo laugh.

Mingyu just stared at them, he thought that only him, only him can make Wonwoo laugh like that but now... It's all different now, someone can make him happy and smile much better than he did back then with him.

He look at the scene infront of him and admire how beautiful they are at each others arms and how the nature conspire to make a lovesome background on them with snow falling on their shoulders.

He didn't want to disturb them. The picture infront of him is solemn but something, in the back of Mingyu's head, there's something that wants to ruin it but... They look so good on each other and he doesn't want to cost any harm at the situation just because he can't have Wonwoo now, just because he's jealous. The scene is complete, without him.

I guess I should stop living in the past. Mingyu thought to himself and shakes his head smiling bitterly. Feeling like he lost everything he owns now.

The man caught him looking at them and leaned closer to Wonwoo and said something. Wonwoo look at him through his shoulder and turn to his direction again.

He saw how Wonwoo placed his hand on the small of the man's waist and his jaw tightened. He don't want to see any of this, he wanted to run from them and drink all of the alcohol he has in his house until he feels numb.

There is a lump on his throat that was making him hard to swallow he look at everywhere but not in them... They look so so good in each other...

"Mingyu, this is Junhui. Junhui, Mingyu." The man called Junhui look at him straight in the eyes and he can see how genuine his smile is.

Mingyu extends his right hand to handshake with him, and as Junhui reach for his hand, Mingyu saw something flash on the latter's hand.

A ring.

He felt suffocated and dizzy, his stomach turns and he's aware that the feeling he's feeling right now is similar to what he had been through before.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Junhui. Wonwoo's fiancé." The man didn't do anything but Mingyu felt assailed by him.

What the hell am I thinking? I should be happy for them. And with that Mingyu smiled back at Junhui and say "Mingyu, my name is Mingyu."

"We just came back from States but Wonwoo wanted to go to this place as soon as we landed." Junhui laughed after saying it.

And as soon as he let go of his hand, the two of them were back at their own world, a world where Mingyu isn't needed. He bitterly smiled at the thought again.

After some time, Junhui glance at his wrist watch and said "Uhm, Wonwoo we need to go..."

"Really? We didn't enjoy much here..." Wonwoo trailed and it seems like they forgot that he was standing there.

"There a lot of days in the calender, Mister." and both of them laugh, at that time, Mingyu wondered why is he still there, he should really leave this place now.

Exhailing a deep breath, he started walking away.

"Mingyu!" 

He halted on his feet, wasn't sure if Wonwoo really called him but he still look back. "Uhm, I heard you grandma died... I wanted to call you back then but we were already flying and... I'm sorry..."

Mingyu smiled and shook his head at Wonwoo. "You don't have to be sorry."

"I tried to reached on you as soon as we landed on State but your phone..." Mingyu remembered throwing his phone in a river out of frustration that time. Mingyu smiled at his direction understanding everything on why Wonwoo didn't showed up before "Wonwoo, that was years ago... And I shouldn't have wrote that letter to you back then. It must have burdened you." He tried to laugh it out but Wonwoo's forehead creased, just like what he would do when he can't understand something...
Something never changed.

"What... Letter?" the older asked confused. "It was Mom who told me that."

Shock washed Mingyu's face realizing that maybe Wonwoo didn't receive the letter because Mrs. Jeon blocked it. "She said one of our classmate send me a text message, Mom confiscated my phone that day so I don't know what was happening and I only got it when we landed..."

"Nothing! It was nothing!" he immediately said and he let out a fake laugh excape from his mouth "It wasn't you whom I wrote a letter, my memories kinda hazy, you know... Ahahaha" he nervously laugh scratching the back of his head. Did he just ed up?


"I need to go too, something urgent come up" Mingyu said hastily, "See you when I see you!" he said walking backwards and waving his hand at them.

What's the used of Wonwoo knowing everything when he's about to be married? It would just make everything complicated plus he can tell Wonwoo's happy now. It all in the past, what happened before should stay at it is, this is their life now.

 

 

 

 


--

Mingyu woke up on his bed but he didn't move he was still thinking of what happend yesterday... Wonwoo's getting married and he should be happy.

All those years he spent making a name for himself... Does he need it now? Now that Wonwoo's back but to be wed with someone.

He's successful now, handling his own restaurants with branches all over the city, he wanted to prove Mrs. Jeon that he was worthy for Wonwoo but now all he can do was to be happy with them... He gets up preparing everything he needs for shower when his phone rang.

"Hel--"
"Idiot! Where have you been?! Get your in here! Your customers are really testing my patience!" he distance his phone from his ear squinted his eyes feeling he coundn't hear anything for a moment. It was Minghao on the other line, they met when he was sulking under that old tree that night.

"Why the are you howling? It so late, doesn't it come up to your head that everyone is probably sleeping right now?" 

He remember how Minghao looked so annoyed at him that time with his hands on the pockets of his shorts looking down at him like he was ready to fight anyone. He started schooling again only to found out that Minghao was his classmate and since then, they just found that they were always together. He laugh because of that.

"You even have the audicity of laughing? Okay. Since I think you can already handle everything, why don't you start managing everything now?" and the line went off. He started laughing hard but still called Minghao's number again. After 3 rings Minghao answered his phone.

"I'm coming! Give 15 mins top." he said and its his turn to cut the line off. He can see how angry Minghao is right now and he just can't stop laughing because Minghao's angry face is really meme worthy.

He and Minghao started this business, like a collaboration actually. He's on the place and menu and Minghao's on the aesthesity of the restaurant, they both took turns on who to style the place, even the way they choose their dress and things, they need each others approval.

Mingyu thought to himself that there are a lot of things on his life right now, he just need to break the chain of his past and keep going. Good things will come to his future one day, he knows it. And with a smile, he closed the door of his house and drove his car to the restaurant.

 

 

 

 

End