Part Two

Dewdrops at Dawn

Life moved on, Taemin moved on. Despite his pessimism a part of Taemin did wait for Minho’s return, or a letter, or anything. But time went by and the further away those memories were, the easier it was to think of other things.

 

So Taemin moved on.

 

It started going downhill again when Sangwoo died. The tavern owner had fallen very ill, very quickly, and proved himself to be yet another person who’d walk out of Taemin’s life. He’d tried not to be bitter, it wasn’t Sangwoo who chose to be sick. Nobody really woke up and thought they’d like to be painfully weakened until their heart stopped beating. When the funeral day arrived though, Taemin wanted someone to be angry at. He chose himself.

 

The funeral wasn’t large, but the people there were those who’d genuinely loved and cared for Sangwoo. That man, who everybody thought would live to be one hundred. That man, who never had the chance to marry and have children. Taemin stood at the back and watched familiar faces mourn, fully grown men weeping. One person had that much impact on so many people. Taemin should’ve taken more shifts, and let his boss live his life. He should’ve cleaned the glasses better and he shouldn’t have taken advantage of what Sangwoo gave him.

 

There was a gathering at the tavern afterwards, drinking in honor of the former owner. Taemin stayed there until everybody eventually left. Everybody, except one.

 

“It’s stupid.” he mumbled, staring at his empty glass. “I never realised how important he was. I didn’t do for him when he’d given a random kid from the streets a living.”

 

Hyoyeon eyed him from the other side of the table, chin in her palm.

 

“He was generous to all of us, nobody could’ve repaid that much kindness.” she said. “But, hey, I think he kinda understood you. That’s why he chose you to take over this place.”

 

It was too late to wonder what Sangwoo might’ve thought of Taemin’s past. They’d never discussed it. They never will.

 

Taemin took a long look around the tavern, the tables and the bar and the incredible emptiness of it all. “I can’t do what he did, Hyo. I’m going to run it into the ground.”

 

“Idiot, you don’t have to copy him.” the woman reached forward, and punched his shoulder. “You do you, he wouldn’t have handed it over if he didn’t believe you could handle it.”

 

He frowned. “I guess.”

 

“Although, if I was going to suggest anything…” Hyoyeon’s lips curved into a grin. “How about getting some pretty dancer ladies in here? Hm?”

 

Life stood still for a few days, before the gears started grinding and it moved on once more.

 

 

(His mother died a month later, the cause to the public being a tragic heart attack. Taemin didn’t know what to think. He didn’t want to think at all. Her noble funeral summoned hundreds from the capitol. He didn’t attend. She was already too far away.)

 

(His uncle died, and then his auntie. Taemin’s father rose to the throne and for the first time he felt genuine concern for the kingdom.)

 

 

The rumours were unintentional, at first. There were a few instances over the years wherein people would wander up the mountain, a little too close to the cave, and Taemin would have to summon a wave of magic to scare them away. Not as obvious as it sounds, it was more like whispers and tugging of the mind, shivers up the spine. When a group of ratty kids snuck too close he decided enough was enough. Taemin wanted his privacy, so he began spreading word at the tavern that a powerful dark mage lived in the mountain.

 

He didn’t expect it to blow up in his face.

 

There were some advantages to owning the tavern, the main one being having possession of the bedroom upstairs. Taemin crashed there when he had the closing shift and couldn’t be bothered hawling his tired up the mountain. But Hyoyeon was in a tight spot now, and he had to offer it to her. Because he was generous. Or because it was what Sangwoo would’ve done.

 

It was his last chance to sleep in the room before she moved in. Taemin worked with a quietly dampened attitude that night, even though he still cracked the same jokes. Maybe he wasn’t as bummed about losing the room as he was that the one resemblance he had of a friend was having a hard time. He wasn’t going to admit that out loud.

 

The door swung open, and a chorus of voices filed in. Knights. Great. King Hyunmin had ordered for all knights and serving mages to move to the capitol, in order to provide better protection for the kingdom. What a joke. It was obvious he was only thinking of his own royal . Taemin in a breath and prepared himself for the onslaught of arrogance as the group took the entire row of seats at the bar. Great. Knights. That was exactly where he wanted them.

 

“What can I get for you tonight, men?” Taemin cracked his usual grin, looking to the one straight in front of him.

 

It wasn’t until he looked to each of them as they ordered, that he finally saw. The seventh of the group, at the end. Small face, round eyes. Those lips. Minho. Taemin bit back any visual reaction and nodded when the person he thought he’d never see again ordered. As if they were strangers. As if it hadn’t already been three years since they said goodbye.

 

Three years.

 

“So,” he robotically turned back to the guy in the middle. “I don’t think I’ve seen you here before.”

 

“Oh, nah.” the guy laughed. “We’re from Taebaek, here to serve the king! And our first mission is to catch the dark mage.”

 

“Really, now.” Taemin replied, somewhat dryly. He started on the first drink.

 

“Yeah, you know it.” a second knight said, but he didn’t really know what it was he was supposed to know. “That dark mage has been causing havoc far too long!”

 

“He’s been causing illness!” said a third.

 

“Terrorising the ladies!” exclaimed a fourth.

 

“Kidnapping children!” another voice said, and Taemin glanced to see it was Minho.

 

Oh.

 

“He lives in the mountain.” the knight in the middle spoke like it was new information. “We just have to attack at the right time!”

 

The second knight grinned, wicked. “And we’ll have him burned, at the stake!”

 

The men all cheered, four of them clinking their already served drinks. Taemin worked on the fifth drink, eyeing Minho. As exhilarated as he been the moment he saw the man, it’d quickly changed to disappointment. So this was the kind of knight he’d become.

 

That was his mountain. Their mountain. And yet Minho was cheering along with his knight pals about executing the supposed dark mage who lived there. Something inside him broke. He hadn’t allowed himself to imagine their possible reunion often, but it was certainly never like this.

 

Minho looked different, and his stare felt foreign. He probably hadn’t recognised Taemin yet, hell he wouldn’t put it past the knight to have forgotten about him completely. But it was possible that he’d remember, he’d recognise. And then he’d be telling his knight friends. He’d tell the king. Taemin would be found out, and burned at the stake for crimes he couldn’t possibly have done.

 

Taemin wasn’t thinking. He poured Minho’s glass, and as the men were caught up in their ridiculous bragging he cast a spell. So that Minho wouldn’t recognise his face, and connect him to the boy he met five years ago. He wasn’t thinking as he did it, and only realised when he was passing the glass over to the knight.

 

Minho locked eyes with him, then. Taemin’s heart skipped a beat. No, he couldn’t possibly remember him. And even if he did, there was no way he’d believe his innocent.

 

He was a servant of King Hyunmin, now.

 

How typical, that it’d be Hyunmin who finally took Minho from him.

 

Taemin watched as Minho took his first sip, the bob of his adam’s apple as he swallowed. That was that, then. So much for the rant he had scripted and ready to throw at the knight’s face.

 

 

The night continued on, and when the tavern started to fill up there was enough for Taemin to do to keep his mind off the man sitting at the bar. He unwillingly noticed everything, too. The first time they reunited, the young and naive Taemin had marvelled over how much Minho had physically changed in the two years apart. But that was nothing compared to now. Now, Minho really was a man. Somehow even taller than before, with thick arms and strong hands. His face was slimmer, voice deeper. His smile, however, was always the same.

 

Which Taemin could confirm, especially with said knight sitting with his chin in his palms and a very big grin on his face. Also, notably, staring directly at the bartender.

 

“Hey.” Minho said, his voice slurred with alcohol. “What are you doing later?”

 

Taemin stared. “Probably escorting you out of my tavern.”

 

The friend beside Minho started laughing, and leaned in to whack Minho on the shoulder. “Sorry about my poor buddy here. It’s been a long time since he last flirted… Successfully.”

 

He blinked at the sense of deja vu, and now recognised the friend as the same one from three years ago.

 

“Oh, hey!” the friend seemed to draw the same conclusion. “You’re the bartender he was hitting up here last time, right?” the friend then laughed again. “How embarrassing for you, Minho.”

 

Minho frowned heavily at Taemin, then looked to his friend. “I don’t remember him.”

 

“Man, you must’ve been pretty wounded…”

 

And that, solved that.

 

Taemin hoped that exchange would be the last one, ever, but the knight had other plans. He continued to take orders, serve, and crack jokes with the regular customers. But every now and then Minho would attempt to make conversation about literally anything. Taemin’s buttons. Taemin’s height. What Taemin was going to have for breakfast the next day. It was driving him insane, and the evident irritation on his face only egged Minho on more.

 

He wasn’t wrong, earlier. Minho hung back when his friends all left, and continued to loiter around until he was the only customer left in the tavern. With just the two of them, Taemin knew he should definitely kick the knight out. Definitely. But first, he had to wipe down the tables. And then, he had to put up the chairs at which point Minho started to try and help out with. He didn’t look as drunk anymore, and hadn’t spoken for at least fifteen minutes.

 

A part of him kept wishing the spell hadn’t worked. That part was dangerous. Taemin didn’t acknowledge it.

 

“Do you know where the knight’s guild is?” Minho said softly, standing uncertainty in the middle of the tavern. It was weird, witnessing him switch attitudes like this. “I forgot.”

 

“I don’t.” Taemin lied. He was always lying.

 

The knight stood there, scratching his neck, a familiar habit that tugged at something stuck in his chest.

 

“There’s a bedroom here you can use.” the mage continued, gesturing to the door with his head. “Come on.”

 

Therefore, Taemin lead a still intoxicated Minho up the stairs to the bedroom. Minho, who he hadn’t seen in years. Minho, who disappeared and reappeared and now couldn’t even remember all the hurt he’d caused. It was too exhausting to think about. The bedroom was a lot smaller than the tavern, the walls closed in.

 

He turned to check on Minho, to find the knight directly behind him and then in his face. The proximity caused his cheeks to heat up. . Taemin wasn’t a sixteen year old anymore, he didn’t have time for this. Yet he couldn’t move, Minho’s intense gaze holding him in his place.

 

“You’re really handsome.” Minho mumbled, a hand lifting to touch one of his cheeks. Heat against heat. Taemin tried to catch his breath, and caught Minho’s instead. “But why do you look so sad?”

 

“I’m not--”

 

A thumb lifted his chin. “I can help you.”

 

Minho’s breath. The smell of alcohol. They were so close, and the knight was only leaning closer. And Taemin remembered that morning before the sun, his innocent moment of greed, the kiss that was meant to be goodbye. He could imagine kissing Minho now, despite how angry he was at him for forgetting and himself for wiping those memories. Kissing Minho now wouldn’t be right. It would feel so good, but he’d hate himself in the morning.

 

“No.” he said, soft but sure.

 

“Okay.” was all Minho said before he stepped back, heavy gaze lingering, then walked towards the bed.

 

It was that simple.

 

“Thanks for letting me crash.” and suddenly the prior tension was released, the knight sending a casual grin. “We’ve only been here a couple days. I promise I wasn’t trying to just get into bed with you.”

 

Taemin found himself chuckling. “Okay, sure.”

 

“But the offer still stands.” it seemed to be the opposite, as Minho clumsily collapsed into bed. He stretched out comfortably, both hands behind his head.

 

Taemin watched from the same spot, crossing his arms. “Right.”

 

“You’re welcome, thank you, I am a true gentleman.” Minho roughly pat the space beside him, staring back expectantly. “Are you coming?”

 

It was a headache, trying to keep up with the intoxicated knight’s constant shifts in personality. Taemin only got into bed because he had nowhere else to sleep if it was an hour’s climb to the cave. He only took his shirt off because it was summer and ing hot with the firepit that was Minho sleeping beside him. Sleeping, very heavily and very quickly. Minho passed out in approximately five seconds because he was drunk and because to him it was just a stranger he was sharing the bed with.

 

Taemin made a pointed effort to sleep with his back to the knight. An futile effort, considering he barely slept.

 

Which meant that he heard when Minho woke up the next morning, groaning with what must’ve been a killer hangover. Cursing, for what must’ve been his realisation he was at some random dude’s house instead of the guild. Then finally, the rush to stumble out the room and ultimately ditch the tavern.

 

He opened his eyes, and turned to look at the empty space beside him.

 

So, that was the man Minho became.

 

 

Approximately one week and two days later, Minho made his return to the tavern. Taemin didn’t know if he was disappointed or impressed when the knight walked in, alone rather than with his usual gang of lesser minded individuals. Whatever. Taemin shook off any emotion that tried attach itself to him and walked over to the booth Minho had claimed, handing the knight a glass of cider.

 

Minho looked up with wide eyes, and Taemin couldn’t tell if the knight was faking his shock or not. He took the cider anyway, holding it awkwardly with both hands.

 

“Long time no see.” Taemin began, leaning back in the seat across him with lazy confidence. “I thought knights were supposed to be… What was it? True gentlemen? Yet you left and didn’t even leave a note?”

 

“Uh, yeah.” Minho stared at him, then averted his gaze, then stared at him again. “Look, I just needed to ask if we, uh, you know…”

 

Weird. Taemin said nothing and waited.

 

“If we… You know…” Minho gestured hopelessly to the air.

 

“I don’t know,” upon understanding what it was Minho was getting at he played along jokingly, tapping his chin. “Did we? You know?”

 

Minho sighed at this, and took a chug of his drink. “Fine. I wanted to let you know that I’m not into men like that, just in case we did.”

 

Taemin couldn’t help but laugh. “You waited for more than a week after spending the night in a guy’s bed to let him know you don’t like men?”

 

“I didn’t mean to--”

 

“Because you certainly seemed eager enough when you were drunk.” Taemin continued, not caring if anyone around them heard. And then, something clicked. “Oh , of course. You’re a traditionalist.”

 

“What?” Minho spluttered. “I-I’m not a traditionalist.”

 

“You so ing are. You know the whole ‘nobles should marry straight’ thing died out years ago, right? Unless… You were thinking you could have a one night stand and have it mean nothing? Right on, Minho. You really are a gentleman.”

 

The knight looked increasingly uncomfortable, his cheeks turning red. “No need to make me sound like an because I’m not interested in you.”

 

Taemin in a breath, closed his eyes, and said a tiny prayer to the heavens to bless him with patience. Poor, pitiful Minho. Blind to the real world, a pathetic dog obeying his master’s orders. Following years old, long forgotten traditions. He was really testing him today, but Taemin found a strength within.

 

“I forgive you.” Taemin declared, like a release of air. “But only if we can be best friends.”

 

Minho frowned. “What.”

 

 

It was strange, and sudden, but that was how the back and forth of their second friendship began. Taemin got his kick out of being annoying to Minho, all the while staying up to date with the knight’s life and wellbeing. Because the sixteen year old Taemin still cherished the eighteen year old Minho, and even if the knight looked at him with disdain now it was better than never seeing him for another three years.

 

Taemin was stupid and complicated like that.

 

 

Skipping forward a fair few months, Taemin had the pleasure of meeting Minho’s ‘real best friend’. Granted, the knight didn’t know that Taemin knew about the brotherly bond they shared. Jinki was exactly how Taemin had imagined Minho would turn out. Kind, patient, not a jerk, handsome in a humble way and not an arrogant ‘you must’ve slept with me because I’m so charming’ way. It was a shame Jinki already seemed to have a boyfriend, or Taemin might’ve asked him to stay the night just to spite Minho.

 

Things got complicated with Jinki and Kibum caught him in the cave. Something about going behind Minho’s back to help his best friend’s boyfriend practice dark magic felt wrong, but he concluded that was a problem for Jinki, not him.

 

(Besides, for the first time in years he was making friends. And Jinki turned out being way too nice for Taemin to ever consider dating, with or without Kibum at his hip. But they were cool dudes, and his friends. Practicing dark magic was just their fun friendship past time.)

 

At least, he thought it wasn’t his problem. With all the bragging Minho had done over the months, Taemin never expected him to go up the mountain all by himself.

 

He didn’t know it was Minho at first, and in the unpreparedness had summoned his usual shroud of darkness. He should’ve known it was Minho, with the way the knight walked straight up to the cave without a moment’s hesitation. Taemin saw him clearly as Minho stepped inside, trying to glare through the darkness only he could see.

 

“Come out!” Minho called out boldly, staring straight through Taemin. The mage moved quietly, keeping his distance.

 

“Reveal yourself. Or is the dark mage afraid of a mere knight?”

 

That arrogance, that determined anger. It really would’ve been pointless to tell Minho the truth from the beginning, about his real identity. However there seemed to be little time left for him to keep this secret.

 

“So what is a mere knight going to do?” Taemin taunted, creeping closer.

 

“Tell me where the children are.”

 

“If I don’t tell you, will you kill me?”

 

A beat of silence.

 

“I’ll take you to the king, and he will judge you by the law.”

 

“Oh.”

 

That was it, then. At least the knight wasn’t a bloodthirsty idiot. Taemin took one last free look at Minho before stepping back and dropping the curtain of darkness. Minho met his gaze immediately, and he watched as the memory spell unravelled.

 

“Y-You…” Minho was hurt, and he was confused. Now the truth was revealed. “Taejoon.”

 

Taemin frowned, not knowing what to say. “I’m sorry, Minho.”

 

“If you won’t tell me, I’ll find them myself.”

 

Minho resolved, and left to begin digging through Taemin’s belongings. As if he hid the children under his bed, behind his bookcases, literally anywhere that wasn’t the exact spot Taemin stood. He was desperate, tossing things out of the way. As if it’d also toss away the memories that were swallowing his brain.

 

And then, finally. The writing in the wall glared at both men.

 

Tae        Min
Joon       Ho

 

“I lied to you about my name, when we first met.” Taemin spoke from behind him, attempting to explain himself. “I was a nobleman’s son… Anyone who knew me would’ve taken me back straight away.”

 

Minho shook his head, fingers tracing the messily scrawled letters. “Why… Why do I only recognise you now?”

 

Taemin bit his lip. “I… Kind of spelled you. You came by the tavern with your knight friends talking all this about the dark mage and I knew you’d recognise me so I made sure you wouldn’t. Not until you came here, to the cave.”

 

“So you are the dark mage…” Minho turned to face Taemin, something stabbing through his heart. “What happened to you?”

 

“I’m not--” the mage sighed, a hand in his hair. “I don’t have the kids, Minho. Maybe I practice a bit of dark magic and maybe I made up some stupid rumors so people would leave me alone but I’m not what they say I am. You of all people should know I wouldn’t do that messed up .”

 

“You’re right, Taejoon wouldn’t do this.” he agreed, albeit with a scoff. “Taejoon wouldn’t spell me, either.”

 

That was enough. Taemin picked up a book that had landed at his feet, and threw it at Minho’s idiotic, tiny head.

 

“I waited for you, . When I heard the knights were being summoned to city I waited for you to show up, and you never did. Then the first time I see you after however many years, you’re talking with your friends about hunting me down? What was I supposed to do?”

 

“You promised you weren’t practicing dark magic.” their first argument, when Minho had discovered that book. Taemin couldn’t believe it was being used against him again. “You lied to me then, and you’re lying to me now.”

 

“You’re the one who let me down.” Taemin stared right at him, not backing down. “I don’t hurt anyone with my magic.”

 

The cave was but a weak echo of what it once was, and who once dwelled within it. Even with his memories of all those years, Taemin couldn’t recognise the man before him. This angry, accusing Minho.

 

“You hurt me.”

 

“, Minho. Don’t start with this dramatic pity .” the mage wished there was something else he could throw at him. “You left me! Every single time! For years! I don’t owe you anything.”

 

And Minho didn’t deserve to tell him what Taejoon would’ve done. Taemin knew himself better than anyone, especially Minho. The knight didn’t know anything.

 

Minho stood there, chest heaving with every breath, his eyes unforgiving. “Have you been tricking Jinki, too? After I told you how precious he is to me?”

 

“Heavens.” Taemin groaned, darkness flickering from the cave walls. “Leave, and ask Jinki yourself.”

 

All the pent up emotions. The thoughts and the memories that he’d kept hidden behind those walls. Anger at his father. His mother. Minho. Everyone in his life was set on betraying him. Taemin wanted to explode.

 

“No. I want answers--”

 

“LEAVE.”

 

Fire from the candles overflowed in a burst of flames that spread across the entirety of the cave walls. The space between them filled with intense heat and light, Taemin witnessing as Minho’s defensive stance replaced with fear. The magic pulled back no longer than five seconds later, but the damage was already dealt.

 

“Fine.”

 

The knight picked up his sword, his shield, gave one last fierce glare before carrying his own storm out of the cave.

 

Taemin watched the silhouette disappear amongst the trees, then looked around the cave.

 

And he was alone, again.  

 

 

He hadn’t felt this uncertain of himself for years. King Hyunmin then made his move on the dark mage, and Taemin was forced to leave the cave for good. He collected everything important to him into bags, Jinki and Kibum helping where they could.

 

Taemin halted at the sight of a particular carving in the wall. If the king’s men were planning on camping out here, they were bound to spot the names eventually. He lowered to a crouch, palm against the wall and the memory they’d drawn. When he pulled away the carving was gone, and so was a piece of his heart.

 

He’d lingered as they fled the mountain, to catch the mighty knights and mages climbing amongst the trees. Minho was somewhere there, with them. Why had he warned Jinki? What was Minho thinking, taking the path to the cave he’d visited so many times? What was he feeling?

 

Would he notice the empty space on the wall?

 

(His final goodbye to the cave, his home of so many years, was less than two weeks later, after Jungah tainted it with her evil. Taemin had been beyond angry about a lot of things that morning, so once Kibum was safe and out he had no problem setting the entire cave on fire from the inside. The bodies, the memories, evaporated by flame. Something about it still hurt, but Taemin was numb to hurting now.)

 

(The sun had been rising. There was no time to watch the colors dance across the sky this time.)

 

 

Revealing to his friends that he was, in fact, King Hyunmin’s son was a mental journey in itself. Taemin wasn’t sure how his friends would respond, but he was shocked most of all by Kibum taking out some expensive wine and suggesting they drink their problems away. This, was Taemin’s style. And he was totally ready to go with the flow.

 

In the span of one night, Taemin found out that Jinki and Kibum actually weren’t in a relationship, Minho was pathetic at arm wrestling while drunk, and getting drunk really was the better alternative to talking about the impending doom of the kingdom. Yet he’d noticed too, that Minho had been switching between being friendly like the old days before correcting himself and acting distant again. Taemin had sighed heavily to himself, when the ‘not couple’ took themselves outside and Minho was the first to escape to his room.

 

Taemin really, really didn’t want to talk about his feelings.

 

Minho was sitting on the edge of his bed when he walked in, head in his hands. The knight looked up at the sound of the door opening, and seemingly snapped out of whatever he was thinking about as he stood to his feet.

 

There was a moment of silence between them, and Taemin just wanted to end it without a fight.

 

“I didn’t tell you Hyunmin was my father.” he said, closing the door behind him. “I didn’t tell you because I was a kid, and I was scared, and at that time he was powerful enough as a noble to drag me back to that house.”

 

Minho seemed to consider this, then dropped his gaze to the floor. “Even the first words you spoke to me were a lie.”

 

The space between them was hushed with hurt, soft with uncertainty. Maybe Minho didn’t feel like fighting, either. Maybe the near loss of a friend had sobered something between them.

 

“I lied a lot.” Taemin couldn’t count how many times. “By the time I considered telling you the truth it felt… I don’t know… like it was too late.”

 

“It’s never too late to tell the truth.” the knight replied. “But you told me about your parents. When you said they weren’t good to you… Did you mean it?”

 

“Yeah.” Taemin felt it like a rush, the reminder of the pain both his parents had inflicted on him. What Hyunmin continued to do to him. “Guess I should’ve seen the whole evil king thing coming.”

 

“It’s not your fault.” Minho looked up now, his eyes sorry. “Nobody runs away from a happy family. I was too privileged to understand what that would be like.”

 

That was unexpected. No, deep down Taemin knew Minho wasn’t the totally heartless stereotype of a knight he convinced himself to be. And acknowledging that fact only made everything more complicated.

 

Taemin stepped closer, and leant against the nearby cabinet. “You could’ve written to me, after the second time. I had the tavern as an address.”

 

“You could’ve visited Taebaek.” Minho suggested.

 

“I was lonely.”

 

“You told me you were happy.” it had been another lie, and they both knew it now. “You told me being alone was freeing.”

 

“I know.”

 

They were apologising, somehow, in their own way. Taemin felt odd in the calm of their conversation, when he had become used to bickering and yelling, but not misplaced. Both of them were too young when they first met, too inexperienced when they’d crossed paths again. Minho should’ve had a more open mind, Taemin shouldn’t have been such an angsty teenager so set on blocking everything good out.

 

“Taemin.” the knight called gently, and when their eyes met he took a step closer. “I… I recognised you.”

 

He blinked. “What?”

 

“That night in the tavern, the first time I’d visited as a real knight. I recognised you the moment I saw you.” Minho explained, every word shocking him. “I was planning on going to the mountain as soon as possible, anyway. But I ran into you there instead.”

 

Why. This changed everything.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Taemin faltered, confused. “You were talking with your friends.”

 

“I was trying to protect you.” so simply, like it should’ve been obvious. “I didn’t know your current situation, so I was going to wait until the end of the night to approach you properly. And then you wiped my ability to recognise you, which messed up my memories. Maybe you were expecting me to go to the mountain regardless, but I couldn’t remember someone without their face. Taejoon was completely erased until I walked into that cave.”

 

“That isn’t… I didn’t mean that. The spell was supposed to make you only forget my face, not everything.” everything made sense now. This was his fault. Minho might’ve made mistakes but Taemin made the biggest of them all. “. .”

 

Of course he was the one to ruin it all. His sixteen year old self would’ve wanted to trust Minho no matter what was being said in front of him, but the Taemin from a year ago was a skeptical, stubborn jackass who was more concerned about the danger he’d also caused for himself. If he hadn’t made those rumours nobody would’ve demanded a witch hunt, and he and Minho could’ve reunited simply. Taemin could’ve yelled at him for leaving for three years, but that would’ve been all. Not this messed up, headache of a misunderstanding.

 

“Hey… Hey, Taemin.” Minho reached out, touching his shoulder. “I was the one who got angry and wouldn’t listen. You were just protecting yourself. You didn’t know what kind of person I’d become, and did what you thought was necessary.”

 

“That’s bull.” Taemin shook him off, frowning. “I should’ve trusted you.”

 

Minho’s hand moved to lightly cup his cheek. Even after all those years, and all that happened in between, Taemin’s heart raced.

 

“And I should’ve written to you. You said it before, with all the waiting I made you do I had no right to demand anything of you. Especially your trust.” the slight smell of alcohol. He blurred the past with the present. It was all the same now. Minho smiled, and it physically hurt to look at. “Although I’d like it if you could trust me now.”

 

“I kissed you.” Taemin began without thinking, and startled dumbly when he saw surprise spread across Minho’s face. “I mean, I kissed you back then because I knew I’d never see you again. Or, maybe because I wanted you to stay. Maybe both? I’m not sure anymore.”

 

Minho chuckled, and the unexpected gentleness of the sound was overwhelming. “What if I want you to stay now?”

 

Taemin grinned, despite himself. “I thought you were a traditionalist.”

 

The back door closing sounded through the house, followed by the footsteps of either Jinki or Kibum. Both men parted awkwardly, Taemin stepping impossibly closer to the cabinet until the footsteps got closer to the room and he scampered to hide beside the door. Minho threw himself into bed, pulling the sheets over him just in time for the bedroom door to quietly creak open.

 

“Minho?” Jinki’s voice whispered from the other side of the door. When he got no response, the hunter stepped back and closed the door.

 

Taemin blinked. Minho sat up and blinked back at him. He didn’t really understand why they’d done that, as if they’d nearly been caught down each other’s throats. It seemed the knight was just as clueless. Had they just been flirting? Were they going to kiss? What did Minho mean about wanting him to stay now? Heavens, all the questions were not good for his intoxicated brain.

 

Before Minho could say anything, Taemin did what he did best and avoided any further conversation by sneaking away and  following Jinki to their bedroom.

 

 

He could still imagine kissing Minho. He thought about it more often after that night, and with the realisation of his future it served as a guilty pleasure. Practicing sword fighting was useful, too, as a distraction from the distraction that was Minho and that one time they kissed versus the one (or two?) times they didn’t. And it was foolish of Taemin, to get so worked up by it all. He decided soon enough that he needed to talk to Minho, or yell at him, about it as soon as possible.

 

It was that day, when he went to the guild to approach the royal knight.

 

“Kibum’s been taken, they think he’s the dark mage.” Minho repeated when Taemin thought he’d misheard the first time. He gripped his shoulder, leaned in close so nobody else would listen in. “You have to go home, right now. Tell Jinki I’ll find out as much as I can, and come home to you right away.”

 

“I want to help--”

 

“No, you can’t.” he shook his head. “Go home, please. I’ll find a way to save him, without getting the rest of us arrested.”

 

And that was that.

 

 

Taemin was going with Kibum on some great adventure to the other kingdoms, and hopefully not get killed along the way.

 

Taemin’s entire future was changing, and suddenly taking over the tavern was the easiest thing he’d ever had to do.

 

He was packing for the journey in his room when Minho had stepped inside. Kibum was just about to leave, and Taemin would follow in a couple hours.

 

“Are you sure you have to go?” Minho started from the doorway, crossing his arms.

 

“Yes, Minho.” he sighed. There really wasn’t many things he needed to pack, but the process was taking so long.

 

“But Kibum is strong enough by himself.” the knight said. “Surely he doesn’t need you too?”

 

Taemin the spot, and all the nerves that had been building all day were threatening to spill. “Are you saying I’m not strong enough to protect my friend?”

 

Minho scoffed. “That’s not what I’m saying.”

 

“Then what? If I’m going to be the king, I need to go and protect the kingdom.” it felt easier to say than he thought, even if the sincerity wasn’t there quite yet. “Unless you think I’m not strong enough to be king, either?”

 

“You don’t have to be king, Taemin.”

 

“What?” he stepped back, not believing what he was hearing. “Look, I’m sorry I’m not a great noble like you. I know literally anyone else here would making a better king than me. I know. And if you really hate me wearing the crown then we can just assassinate me, too.”

 

Minho closed the door behind him, as if it could do anything to improve the situation. “Heavens, Taemin. Not everything is a ing attack against you, so stop twisting my words.”

 

“No, that’s what I’m hearing.” Taemin breathed, anger rising with the hurt. “You think Kibum will do just fine by himself. You don’t see the point in me going.”

 

“That’s not--” the knight opened the door again. “Whatever, Taemin.”

 

And Minho walked out.

 

 

Saying goodbye to Jinki was harder than he wanted to admit. Minho stood stubbornly to the side, and he pointedly ignored him. He was ready to walk out the door without saying goodbye, and that’s exactly what he did. Taemin felt the rush of pain in his chest when he was roughly three steps out the door, and two steps later he heard someone rush outside behind him.

 

“Sorry I was a jerk earlier.” Minho.

 

Taemin turned to face the knight, and shrugged. “Why? You’ve always been a jerk.”

 

“So have you.” was the retort, and both men found themselves smiling. “I know I sounded bad, and I lost my temper instead of explaining myself.”

 

“Right.”

 

“Right.” Minho rubbed his neck, biting his lip. “Look, I’m worried about you. I don’t want you or Kibum risking your lives and I would much rather be the one leaving.”

 

That was it. Minho was always the one leaving. Now, it was Taemin’s turn.

 

The knight continued. “And what I said, about not being king… I don’t want you to force yourself into such a heavy position if it’ll make you unhappy.”

 

Misunderstandings were their speciality. Taemin was the best at jumping to conclusions.

 

“You’re right, I don’t want to be king.” he admitted aloud. “But I’ll do it. I’ll go with Kibum, return to kill Hyunmin, and then I’ll take the throne. Because it’s the right thing to do. I know you’re worried, but you don’t have to be. We’re going to be fine.”

 

They stared at each other for a moment, the night around the so still compared to the hectic few hours they’d just experienced. Minho hovered at the door, Taemin at the bottom of the stairs. Perhaps he could imagine walking up those stairs and kissing the dumb knight’s dumb face, but he wasn’t going to. There were many years between them, but in many ways they still didn’t know each other. Didn’t know themselves.

 

And he really didn’t have time to think about it, with the current state of the kingdom.

 

“Well, I have to go… So…” Taemin robotically turned towards the horse, set to leave. “I’ll see you when I get back.”

 

“Okay.” Minho stood by the door. “I’ll stay here.”

 

Taemin didn’t want this one person to mean so much to him. In that moment he wished Minho had never told him the truth, about how he’d recognised him. He should’ve kept that image of an arrogant knight, instead of confusing him like he did.

 

He still at goodbyes.

 

Being the one to leave should’ve made it easier, gratifying almost. No, Taemin felt incredibly uneasy as he rode his horse away from that house and into the woods.

 

Into danger, his new future.

 

 

Less than two months later, Taemin achieved exactly what he’d promised. He sat on the throne, the crown on his head, and watched as a room filled with strangers bowed for their new king. He felt all of it. Uncertainty. Excitement. Fear.

 

King Taemin stands before his people and feels the weight of it all.

 

The noble boy, the runaway, the bartender, the dark mage.

 

“Long live the king.”

 

The king.

 

And in the front row of his people, is the king’s knight. Minho pulls up from his bow, and smiles when their eyes meet. Their kingdom is still in strife, and it’s going to take a lot of work to get it back to how it should be. Yet even with the shadows lurking in the corners, the evil and the darkness that threatens to spill, his thought in that moment is of only one thing. The sun rising, red and orange and blue and white. The capitol slowly being covered in light, street by street. The people within it who he wants to protect.

 

Where darkness resides, the sun will always rise.

 

Taemin’s going to make sure of it.

 


 

Author's Note: and that's the end! i hope you can now kinda understand the mess that is 2min, and despite me also wanting them to just kiss and stop being stupid that's unfortunately not how people work. ;; tell me what you think! the real sequel to wdr will be coming out... eventually... once i confirm the plot. thanks again for reading! xoxo