...

Rough Edges
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

...

 

 

 

 

I slumped on my bed and groaned.

 

My face hurts and this day .

 

 

 

Damn that little son of a ..., if that stupid Dahyun did not come, I would have beaten the crap out of Son Chaeyoung. Cocky dwarf, that's all she was.
 

Those two were my enemies ever since third year when I transferred to this school. They were almost always together. I didn’t expect bumping into them on the first day of school would result in us still having issues until now. But I am no pushover so I don't ever back down even if sometimes circumstances aren't in my favor. I know and I admit that I can be arrogant but those two are far worse. Acting tough as if they own the place, the likes of them makes me seethe in anger.

 

 

 

I touched the side of my right eye and immediately flinched. This definitely needed some ice. So I stood up and prepared myself on how I would explain this to my roommate. Sigh.

 

 

 

 

 

I opened my room to find the apartment still empty except for me, she still hasn’t come home then.

 

I quickly took some ice and wrapped it with a clean cloth. Again, I winced at the slightest pressure. I will need makeup to cover this.

 

 

 

Walking back to my room, I felt my stomach grumble. Again, I sighed and looked at the clock. I seem to still have some time and so I began to heat some hot water to make myself some ramen.

 

 

 

The food was good, it definitely helped me feel a bit better.

 

 

 

”Hey Tzu, hows -oh, what happened to your face?!” My roommate greeted me in alarm. I got startled, she can be so damn quiet. Truly her superpowers, her grace and swiftness.

 

 

I bowed my head as she tried to inspect my face closer. I tried to keep mum but,

 

 

 

”I will do something worse if you don’t open your mouth. Who did this to you?!” She whisper-threatened.

 

 

 

”I got into a fight with some kids” I grumbled.

 

 

 

”I am asking you who? I already get that from your face. Tell me who, Tzuyu”

 

She glared at me.

 

 

 

 

 

I opened and closed my mouth then sighed.

 

 

 

“Son, that Son Chaeyoung kid”

 

 

 

And Mina unnie sighed as well. I didn’t bother mentioning that Son's stupid sidekick also came. She knew who she was and her sidekick.

 

You bet she gave me smack on the head, and some more scolding before I head to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the next few days, we avoided each other at school. We all knew our bruises needed to fade and I personally don't need another scolding.

 

 

 

But there was a close encounter in one of the nearby cafes beside our school, Twice Brewery. I had to go there to meet a friend of mine. Definitely wasn't expecting encountering them.

 

I was at the entrance when I froze on my spot because at the same time there in front of me was Chaeyoung and Dahyun who were about to exit the cafe. Holding coffee on each hand, the two stood frozen as well as we glared at each other.

 

My body tensed and I'm preparing myself for anything when Chaeyoung averted her gaze and proceeded to pass by me. No sneer, no quip or insult. No anything. Dahyun followed as well walking past by me doing the same thing. My shock wore off when I heard a voice call me.

 

 

 

"Tzuyu over here!" She waved and so I walked towards where she sat. She is an uplifting sight as always, but she doesn't need to know that.
 

"Hey, Sana unnie. Nice to see you again."

 

"You too. Uhm, were those your friends by the entrance?" She asked as I settled my things. My eyes that tried not to look back at the pair of trouble, glance outside. I saw them approach a blue car parked outside where a girl with short hair stood that seemed to be waiting for them.

 

 

 

"Not really unnie, but we're all seniors." I answered and she nodded. I saw how Dahyun bowed to the girl and the girl ruffled Dahyun's hair in response while Chaeyoung went for a quick hug. That piqued my interest, who is this girl they seem close to.

 

Then it made sense. Why they just walked past me by the entrance door. I remembered Chaeyoung having an older sister. That must've been her. Well, I'm glad to know she at least fear getting in trouble when her sister is around.

 

"Oh cool, here's the menu. Order anything you like. My treat and no buts" She insisted before I could even decline. I sighed before looking over the menu. Glad, I came hungry.

 

 

 

"Okay unnie, Mina unnie said she is on her way already" I informed her as I read the text.

 

Oddly though, I felt eyes watching me which made me turn and I saw Dahyun staring. With her poker face on. But then I realized she was more looking at my companion's direction.

 

 

 

"Great. Do you know her?" She spoke, getting my attention. I looked to who she is referring to and clenched my jaws a bit.

 

"She is Kim Dahyun unnie. Why do you ask?"

 

"Oh she bumped into me a while ago and profusely apologized. Seems nice" She commented nonchalantly but I knew better. Her faint blush that I pretended not to see gave it away.

 

"She's kind of a bully at school though. Those two actually" I stated while calling for the waitress's attention. Sana seemed taken aback.

 

"Huh. Are they bullying you Tzuyu? Be honest with me" She narrowed her eyes at me.

 

"No unnie because I fight back." I replied a bit proud.

 

"Yah, you should not get yourself in trouble. Try to avoid them, okay? You might get hurt. Let your unnies handle them if ever" I nodded at Sana's words before the waitress came to take my order. A large chamomile iced shaken tea with lychee.

 

I looked outside once more to see the car driving away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That was a week ago, 

 

Now, Mina and I are finishing setting up our tiny apartment because she invited some of her friends for some sleepover. Some of them are my friends as well I guess. Mina had introduced me Jeongyeon at one time we went to dinner altogether. She was nice.

 

A few knocks were heard.

 

“I’ll get it” Mina spoke while I sat down by the couch.

 

Familiar faces came into view. It was Sana, Jeongyeon then three new faces. Although one actually is more familiar.

 

“It's cool that you guys already came together. I hope you got acquainted” Mina asked to which the group agreed.

 

Apparently, the three new faces of Mina’s friends were from a different clique. The other two were Momo and Nayeon. One of them was Son Jihyo, the one familiar was actually that bully’s sister. 

 

“Tzuyu here is my roommate,” Mina introduced me to the three new faces since I knew Jeongyeon already.

 

“You and my sister go to the same school, Chaeyoung you know her?" Jihyo asked and Mina and I looked at each other. So Jihyo doesn't know what kind of relationship Chaeyoung and I have. 
 

"Yeah I know her" I answered simply. Mina seemed amused.

 

"Okay, cool. I brought some alcohol by the way,” Jihyo broke out.

 

“Yes” Sana cheered, raising a bottle of alcohol as well. “Me too!”

 

“Sweet! We brought some jokbal” Momo added as they proceeded to place the food and drinks by the kitchen.

 

“What are you holding?” I could not help but asked Jeong who was holding a paper bag.

 

“My father baked us some cupcakes” She nonchalantly answered while my eyes bulged. I internally cheered because I’m more into sweets.

 

We all piled in the kitchen, grabbed some food and laid are asses on the couch. We had to find our space but we all managed to fit before we played a thriller movie.

 

Next we chose a comedy movie as they began to open the alcoholic drinks. Eventually the room went louder with excited voices drowning the movie.

 

Jeongyeon handed me a can of coke as I try to follow the convos going around me. I’m not really drinking any alcohol but I’m still glad to be having fun with them.

 

“Thanks” I mumbled towards Jeongyeon to which she nodded in response as she tried not to step over Nayeon and Sana sprawled on the floor laughing at confused Momo who was in a losing argument with Mina about their dating pasts. I lost my focus upon the debacle as I found a very comfortable spot and felt sleepy.

 


 

 

Sometime later,

 

“Hey you gotta move to your bed” I heard someone say as I felt my shoulders being shaken.

 

I must've fell asleep. I woke up with tired eyes staring at a smiling Jihyo. It's a wonder how Chaeyoung and her are related. I moved my eyes around and found Jeongyeon and Nayeon sleeping on the couch. Cuddling. Ew these two.

 

“Did the others went home?” I asked as I try to stand up.

 

“Nope. They wouldn’t be able to anyway. They all huddled in Mina’s room” She explained in a laugh and assisted me to my room.

 

Pushing me to fall on my bed, I instantly felt grateful because its much more comfortable than where I was a while ago. A whole lot actually.

 

An unconscious smile grew on my face as I start to doze off. I felt a hand ruffle my hair and opened my eyes to see her leave.

 

“Unnie, you can sleep here” I offered with a sleepy smile. I knew the couch and Mina’s room was packed and she couldn't go home this late.

 

“Hmm, you sure?” Jihyo said although she was already walking towards the bed. She probably too tired as well.

 

“Yup” I replied and it was not long where I felt the bed dip beside me.

 

“I feel tired but it was a good day.” Jihyo spoke staring at the ceiling as she found her cozy sleepy position facing away from me.

 

I was staring at her back and felt the same. Probably not as tired as her but satisfied somehow. She was the one managing us when we got loud a while ago but she also has the tendency to be loud when she got carried away. The others are quick to tease and annoy her. I bet she and Mina were the one left to clean up a while ago before she woke me up. She was a welcoming person, that’s what I could deduce while hanging out with her tonight.

 

A frown emerged as I remember who her sibling was, unfortunately. She is so different from her younger sister who is just a volatile being in school along with her annoying sidekick. With all these thoughts, sleep came and embraced me tight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I heard ruckus which seemed to be coming outside the room. I had to shake myself awake to which I found my body snuggled with none other than this adorable human. Adorable? Weird.
 

I wondered how we ended up snuggling but Jihyo seemed to be so comfortable, I had to struggle and slowly disentangle my limbs from that. I stretched before I try to leave the room. But not without glancing at her sleeping form.

 

 

 

 

Pancakes made by Momo and Mina immediately greeted me. It seems only Jeongyeon and Jihyo were asleep but after a few minutes Jeongyeon joined us.

 

“I’m glad I’m not the last one to wake up” Jeongyeon boasted as she began to scan whats for breakfast. Mina managed to cook bacon and eggs as well.

 

 

When Jihyo eventually entered the kitchen, we started clapping and teasing her.

 

“Oh shut up. You guys are the reason I was dead tired and overslept” She grumbled. Sana went and hugged her for comfort.

 

Then she sat beside me and flicked her finger on my forehead. Which actually hurt.

 

“Weh?” I whined at her. Pout and all.

 

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” She stared right at me with eyes feeling betrayed.

 

I chuckled. “As you said unnie, you seem to need more sleep so..”

 

She smiled and nodded.

 

"Still you should have. Look how they're teasing me now" She said still sulking as she sipped on her freshly brewed coffee. One I prepared myself even though I don't drink much coffee.

 

"I have no regrets" I replied which earned my a pinch on my leg. But I stand by my answer. No regrets.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Funny the next time we all met up once again was in a hospital.

 

Because I woke up in a hospital. Whose fault is that? Let’s just say someone named Son Chaeyoung or say Kim Dahyun. That Chaeyoung threw a lucky punch that led me here.

 

So here I was being babied by Sana and Mina while Nayeon tried to figure out if the tv works.

 

“Are you hungry now?” I shook my head.

 

"Does it hurt anywhere?" I sighed.

 

"Is the blanket enough or are you cold?" I raised an okay sign with my hand.

 

“Maybe there’s something you want to eat?” Again I shook my head.

 

It was almost like a torture with these endless pampering. I wish Momo was here, she would care more than Nayeon but more chill than these two mother-like crazy worriers.


 

 

Suddenly the door opens and enters Jihyo worried as hell. Well her face seemed so.

 

“I'm so sorry Chewy! I will kill my sister for this. I will make sure she will never bother you again. Gosh I really am sorry!"

She profusely said as she examined my bandaged head and sprained ankle and bruised arm.

 

You see, Dahyun and I had bumped into the corridor at school and immediately started an insult match that escalated when Son Chaeyoung saw me push Dahyun. I got pissed at what she said about me being arrogant for beating her last election for school secretary position. Saying that I only won because of my face triggered me and led me to pushing her with a bit of force. Dahyun fell down and soon Chaeyoung came out of nowhere with a punch that led me to tumble down the stairs. And end up here in the hospital, that’s much I could remember.

 

 

“Hey Jihyo, its not your fault. Kids these days can be a bit you know” Mina assured Jihyo who was really bothered by my state. She patted her shoulders. I wanted to comfort her somehow.

 

“Mina unnie is right. It was an accident anyway that I fell down the stairs” I mean we do want to kill each other but were not exactly the type to actually do it. We just kind of hate each other and piss each other so easily.

 

“Wait why are you apologizing?” Sana asked confused along with Nayeon.

 

Jihyo’s face fell. “Because its my sis-“

 

 

“Hey sorry we're late but they're here to apologize, '' Jeongyeon said, interrupting the scene as she stood by the door. She signaled someone outside to come in. Eventually she grabbed them by the ear to enter.

 

“Ow, okay, stop it!” Chaeyoung asked as she entered along with Dahyun who was also pleading to be let go or be out here I guess.

 

I stared at the two culprit of my hospital state at the moment. I knew my face seemed pissed but I was more amused I guess. Never expected this scene to ever happen but here we are. My two nemesis face down in front of me. About to apologize. I guess this is what victory feels like when they say 'sometimes you got to lose some battle to win the war'. Hmm.

 

“Wait you two did this to her?!” Sana’s voice boomed as Mina held her back but Mina’s glare seemed scarier though.

 

“I-uh- we-, uhm, really” Dahyun is trying to choke out while Chaeyoung is no help with her eyes and mouth closed. She seemed anticipating being slapped. I grinned. Pathetic suits them both right now.

 

But then, it was Jihyo who stood in front of the two and bowed down to us, to me actually. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter