Ch 2

The Haunting of Beauregard Manor

     Our taxi stopped at St. Bartholomew’s hospital. Miyeon jumped out of the car, practically running to the door. Like usual, she was fast paced, rushing to solve the case. I jumped out of the car, running to catch up.

     Once we were inside, my pace slowed, while hers only seemed to speed up. I sighed, stopping by the front to sign us both in. We were familiar faces at the hospital, and we were granted unlimited access. I smiled at the woman in the office, who bit her lip and smirked back, succeeding in making up incredibly uncomfortable. I quickly walked away, frowning as soon as I was out of sight.

     I was out of breath my the time I caught up with my colleague. I panted, glaring at her as I still struggled to keep up. She looked back at me and laughed. “You good there, Yuqi?”

     I rolled my eyes. “Shut up, Miyeon.”

     She grinned, and we turned the corner, heading for the morgue. She rushed ahead, opening the door and… holding it for me? That was most certainly new. I felt almost proud of her sudden act of consideration. “Thanks,” I said, looking at her with surprise in my eyes. She nodded, and we entered.

     As expected, Yeh Shuhua was on duty. She was examining some papers, most likely the ones faxed to her by Miss Yantararak regarding the Neyra case. Miyeon cleared , causing Shuhua to look up. She smiled at the sight of us, sitting her papers down. “Good to see you two,” She greeted as usual. I smiled back and glanced at Miyeon, who’s lips curved up ever so slightly.

     “We assume the body is still here?” I asked.

     Shuhua shook her head. “We know you like to see the body as-is, but I’m afraid not all of Miss Neyra could be salvaged. Her abdomen had to be stitched up, and she’s been transferred to a private hospital to be examined. The family will need to be asked before you can examine the body.”

     “Why didn’t you say so earlier?” Miyeon growled in annoyance.

     Shuhua looked flustered. “I-I didn’t know until just now,” She defended, stuttering.

     “It’s quite alright, Shuhua,” I said, and grabbed Miyeon’s arm, giving her a disapproving frown. “I’ll send them a request.”

     Shuhua smiled at me. “Thanks, Yuqi. In the meantime, I can get the two of you a copy of the report,” She suggested.

     “That would be awesome,” I responded, returning her smile.

     “Alright then, I get right to it,” The young girl said, and left to get the report.

     I turned to Miyeon with a disappointed look on my face. “Dude, what the heck?”

     She looked back at me, frowning. “That was mean, wasn’t it?”

     “Very much so,” I replied, shaking my head at her. “And you’re going to apologize in a minute, okay?”

     “Of course, m’lady,” She responded, sarcasm pouring out of her voice.

     I rolled my eyes. “I’ll be in the ladies’ room,” I said, and headed out the door. As I headed to the restroom, I heard Shuhua’s voice from the room. I stopped, suddenly curious. I slowly walked back to the morgue, taking light steps to keep my heels from clicking on the floor. Unlike Miyeon, I’d never been good at stealth, though this situation wasn’t too big of a deal.

     I stopped where I could barely make out their words.

     “I know, you can’t help that you don’t get it.” Shuhua’s voice was quiet, unlike her usual bubbly attitude.

     “Still, you deserve the utmost courtesy. You’re a good friend, Shuhua.”

     I smiled to myself at the sincerity in my friend’s voice. Knowing her struggle to relate to others, I was almost proud to see, er, hear her trying so hard for someone with whom she usually wouldn’t bother.

     I took a deep breath and walked back into the morgue. “Right, let’s get this investigation going,” I said awkwardly, looking between the two as if I’d missed something.

     “Yuqi, it’s been going,” Miyeon responded, raising a brow.

     Shuhua giggled and I looked to the floor, smiling. “Right, okay. Shu, did you get the papers?”

     “Sure enough,” She said with a nod and a smile. She handed me an almost empty file.

     I opened it, immediately seeing a picture of the corpse. The sight would’ve been disturbing had I not been used to it.

     “Thank you, Shuhua. Miyeon?”

     She turned to me. “To the station.”

     I nodded, watching Miyeon as she turned 180°, her scarf whipping behind her. “Come along, Yuq,” She called. I rolled my eyes and followed after her after saying my goodbyes. Miyeon put on her cap, a ridiculous looking checkered deerstalker that was several sizes too big for the girl. “Good evening, Shuhua. Have a nice dinner,” She yelled, and with that, we were gone.