Atlantis

C-R-A-Z-Y

When the ancient city of Atlantis was created, the rest of the world was still a void of nothingness. Out of the darkness, life was breathed into one little corner of a vast collection of universes, and thus the island and great city of Atlantis were born.

Just sixteen years before the island's end, a child was born in the great palace on the city's center hill. His parents, the king and queen, called him a powerful and magical name that was soon to be lost forever beneath great crashing waves. 

He was an intelligent child, brave and beautiful. He had magic in his blood, as all the royals of Atlantis did. He was quiet and polite, but he had spirit, and was extremely interesting once his attention was captured. 

And yet, he was not happy. For Atlantis was growing to be a wicked place, with much jealousy and thirst for power. The child saw all this firsthand. He was born to the two most jealous and power-hungry of all. 

One night, at age sixteen, the royal child stepped out onto his balcony in tears. He had heard his parents speaking of a great battle, in which they would take possession of all the rest of the worlds. In his heart, he knew that he was the only good soul left on the once great island. Something must be done. 

'Sehun,' a voice called. 

He looked up, confused. 'Who is it? Who are you calling for?'

'You shall be called Sehun,' the voice said. 'In the languages of the world outside, the meaning of it is unimportant, yet in the language of the ancient Atlantians, it means- but child, you know!' 

'Saviour,' the boy said quietly. 'It means saviour.' 

'Good.' The voice, deep and musical, grew sad. 'But it is not Atlantis you shall save. Alas, the golden city is beyond all help now. But you shall save all the other worlds. And you shall have to make a great sacrifice. Do you know, child, what you must do?'

'I do,' he said softly. 

'Then all is well.' The voice grew fainter. 

'Wait!' The boy called. 'Please, who are you?' 

The voice was gentle. 'I am called many names, dear child. But no matter what you call me, I am the Beginning of everything. And I shall oversee you. Do your work well, saviour.' 

The boy rose to his full height. He looked for the last time over the glowing city of Atlantis, the greatest city to ever be known. His eyes filled with tears. 

'Goodbye,' he said softly. 

He extended his hands and called all his power, from the deepest corners of his soul. His body filled with a greater pain than he had ever known, but he did not, could not stop. He kept on raising his hands until they were straight over his head, and he felt as though he would explode. 

Then he brought down his fists. Giant waves crashed over Atlantis, and the island began to sink. The air was from the boy's lungs, replaced with bitter, freezing water. He could see nothing and feel nothing, and yet he heard a voice, a powerful voice that seemed come from everywhere and yet from nowhere: 'You have done well, child. Your time will come, and I will send one who will heal you. Atlantis is gone, but all else is saved.' And then, so loud it rocked the earth, 'Thank you.'

And everything faded.

 

 

 

In South Korea in 1994, Kim Jongin was born to a well-doing, kind family. 

He went to a good school and lived happily, despite nothing much happening to him. He lived in the moment, enjoying the little things in life, looking on the bright side of everything. 

One day, he found a book in the school library called 'Atlantis.' The mythical island intrigued him. An entire island sinking into the sea and vanishing....it seemed impossible. 

And there was one picture in the book that especially fascinated him- a boy about his own age, atop a golden balcony on a great castle, tears streaming down his face, giant waves rising all around him. 

One night as he stared in thought at the picture, something seemed to change. The air smelled of salt water. He could hear waves in the distance. Tge air grew hot, and the picture in the book began to glow. 

Jongin looked away, squeezing his eyes shut. He tried to scream, but no sound came out. He threw the book. What was happening?

Suddenly it all faded. Jongin sighed in relief, turning back to pick up the book- and he froze. 

The boy from the picture stood in the room before him. 

'Who- who are you?' Jongin stammered. 

'Sehun,' the boy answered sadly. 'It doesn't mean anything now, does it? But when I lived before, it meant saviour. And that is what I am.'

'You saved- who?' Jongin trembled. He hoped the boy wasn't actually Jesus. Should he bow? 

'Everything.' The boy's voice was hollow. 'All but Atlantis, where I was born. In saving everything else, I had no choice....'

Jongin didn't move. 

'I destroyed Atlantis,' the boy said. 'I called on the sea and sank the great island beneath the waves. I ended the race that was planning evil things.'

Jongin forced a laugh. 'Yeah, right. Of course you did.'

The boy raised an eyebrow. He extended his hand and the room grew cold. Frigid wind whipped at Jongin's hair. 

Then it all faded away. 

'That is but a hundredth of what I could do, if I wished,' Sehun said, his voice deadly quiet. 

'Why did you come here? To me?'

The Atlantian smiled. His eyes sparkled with strange light. 'Because you, Jongin, are my destiny.'