Chapter 17 – I Like You

Without You (A Young K Fanfiction)

            Bullet was a blockbuster hit in Korea and the Philippines. It was also shown in the US and other Asian countries.

            The winter was nearly over, but it was still cold, especially for me. The dating rumor had been forgotten as well. It was replaced by talks about DAY6' upcoming web drama. I was relieved actually.

            When the band arrived in Korea from their European tour, Young Hyun immediately called me.

            "Hey, Jjang! What's up?" He sounded like he did not know about the rumors.

            "Yo! So far I'm doing great." I lied. The rumor actually took a toll on me.

            "You sure? You know, we can talk it out." So he knew.

            I sighed. "It's nothing, really."

            Then, I heard Jae in the background said, "Is that Jjang?"

            "Yeah. Wae?" (Why?)

            Then the next voice I heard was Jae's.

            "Ya. Jjang, why didn't you tell us?"

            I laughed at him. Somehow, the spoiled surprise became funny.

            "Hey, brother. How's Europe?"

            "Europe is still Europe, but why didn't you inform us that we have an upcoming project together?" He whined like a child. "Is it the web drama?"

            "It is."

            "Wahh...Jinjja. You actually fooled us acting like you know nothing."

            "Hey. Have you forgotten that I'm a director? Of course I should also know how to act."

            I imagined him rolling his eyeballs. "You should treat us, you know, for the success of your film and for fooling us.”

            My smile faded. Would it still be possible to meet them outside work after the controversy?

            "Uhm...I don't think I have a spare time before our filming start." I was not only a director, I was also a good liar. "But we'll be meeting soon anyway to talk about the drama."

            He must have felt my hesitation because he did not push further. "Okay. But we should meet soon, okay?"

            I nodded although he would not see.

            Then he returned the phone to Young Hyun.

            "Should I go to your place? I really wanted to talk to you."

            My heartbeat turned a notch. "No. We'll be meeting soon anyway. Plus what if your fans would see you?"

            "It doesn't matter."

            Why was he so stubborn?

            "Hey, you should think about your reputation. A dating rumor is something you shouldn't deal with at this time of your career."

            I heard him sigh. "I'll just knock on your door, okay?"

            "Hey--"

            "Bye."

            And he ended the call just like that.

            Two weeks after that call he hadn't gone to my apartment. Honestly, I was waiting for him. But I had to go to Manila to promote Bullet, so I texted Jae about my travel. I trusted him to relay my message to Young Hyun. I did not call or text him since the controversy because I was...afraid? Ashamed?

            I didn’t even greet them during Valentine’s Day although I received a message in IG from Young Hyun. It was a short simple greeting.

            YoungtotheK: Happy heart’s day, Jjang <3

            When I came back to Seoul, Young Hyun had still not came to my place. However, I received a call from him one night.

            "Jjang."

            One word and I knew something was different with him.

            "Hey."

            "Neohantae hal mali isseo.” (I really need to tell you something.)

            I knew it. He was drunk.

            "Hey, where are you?"

            He didn't answer my question and kept on blabbing in Korean instead. I didn't understand him at all.

            "Are you with the others?" I asked again.

            "Ya. Nan neol chohahae, alji?" (I like you, you know?)

           That, I understood. I shut up. I knew he did not mean it. He was drunk. Yet there I was hoping that it was true.

            "Hold on. I'll call Jae to fetch you if he's not with you. Okay?"

            He answered again in Korean so I just let him be. I put the call on hold and called Jae. He answered on the fifth ring.

            "Yeoboseyo?" It looked like he woke up from sleeping.

            "Hey, brother. It's Krizza. Could you fetch Brian? He called me and it's obvious he's drunk. He kept blabbing, but I don't understand him." Except for that one thing he said. "I don't know where he is."

            "Oh? He's drunk again." I could hear him getting up. "I know where he might be. I'll go there with Sungjin and call you if we find him."

            "Okay. Thanks."

            I ended the call and got back to Young Hyun, but he already cut the line. So I just waited for Jae's update.

            After an hour, Jae finally called saying they already took Young Hyun home. He was indeed drunk and was muttering stuffs, which Jae no longer told me. I thanked him and I was able to get a good sleep for that night.

            The next day, I received another call from Young Hyun. He had already sobered up.

            “I was a mess last night, wasn’t I?”

            “Oh, so you’re aware?” It was supposed to be a joke, but it came out sharp.

            “My friends told me. Jae-hyung also told me I called you.” He paused for a while. “What did I say?”

            I shrugged. “I didn’t actually understand what you were saying. I’m still a beginner in the Korean language, you know.”

            He sighed. “Okay. I’m sorry for the trouble.”

            “Are you fine? You don’t have any hang-over?”

            “My head actually feel it’ll explode anytime now.”

            “Why did you get drunk, anyway? What are you, a teen?” I felt like our roles were reversed. I was actually scolding him.

            He laughed it off. “Ya, are you scolding me now? What are you, my mother?”

            “Ha-ha.”

            Then an awkward silence.

            “Jjang.”

            “Hmm?”

            “I understand that you worry about me because of the rumor and I also understand that you became cautious because of that. That’s why I didn’t go to your place and let you have some space. The guys also told me actually to respect what you want.”

            I stopped from putting my shoes on and listened to what he was saying. I was actually preparing to go to work.

            He sighed before continuing. “I hate to tell this to you over the phone, but…you’re actually special to me.”

            My heartbeat suddenly went haywire. I was afraid I’d get a heart attack any moment. I could not say anything. Was it for real?

            “The rumor is nothing to me. I don’t actually care and I hope you also don’t.”

            What should I say?

            “Jjang?”

            “Uhh…Huh? Oh. Uhm…” Was all I could mutter. My gosh.

            “Let’s meet soon and talk this out. I really miss you a lot.”

            What was happening? I wasn’t dreaming, was I?

            “See you soon, okay?”

            “Okay.” Finally, my tongue was back.

            “Bye.”

            “Bye.”

            I stared at my phone for minutes. What he said hadn’t really sunk in, but it brought warmth to my whole being.