end

The Gift

 

"You're breaking up with me??" He asked unbelieving. They've met after being apart for a few years and this was not the reunion he imagined.

 

She looks at him, seemingly trying to understand where his surprise comes from. 

 

They had a thing in the past and while she had always called it a relationship, he was always hesitant to label it, more so, to commit to it.

 

"Its not that surprising," she teased almost unable to roll her eyes at him,  "you've always dated other girls and I had started dating other men too."

 

It was his turn to look at the girl who for as long as he can remember only have eyes for him. The same girl who is now unable to meet his gaze.

 

"Did you fall in love with someone else?" 

 

Sighing, she smiled "I wish.. but it has always been you.."

 

He was taken aback by her answer but he chose to let it go for now.  Theres a pressing question he needs answers to. "Then why the break up?"

 

"Unfortunately, I was spoilt while you were away. I had a taste of how it was to be given love that is all mine. I want to have a chance to be that. I want to love and be love solely and faithfully. " and with a voice as soft as a whisper, she added "..thats why this one sided love affair has to end.”

 

He started to speak but she continued, "I know you think you love me. You never failed to tell me you love me and I had always chosen to believe." Her gaze fell on the ring on her left fourth finger.

 

"Lately I found myself  wondering if you really do. Because despite the countless I-love-yous, I have never been enough.” Grimacing, she asks “Why does your love always comes with a +1?

Although that one is on me. I was the one who begged and clawed my way into your life everytime you wander. There were so many times I should have gotten the message. But I was stubborn. I needed you and if you staying means I have to look the other way, then the other way it was."

 

Dumbfounded is an understatement. His mind is still trying to grasp her first statement but she kept surprising and confusing her with her next words.

 

Gathering her courage, remembering what she intended to do when she agreed to meet him again, she clarified,

"This is not me breaking up with you. This is me finally giving you what you wanted for so long. Thank you for indulging me and I'm sorry it took time.  You must have hated me... I've ruined so many chances of your happy ending."

 

Taking a deep breath, with lips quivering, she finally looked him in the eye and smiled. 

 

And for a moment, time stood still for her. 

 

"Hengsho" and with that she turned and walk away. Away from the man who held - NO - who holds her heart.