Chapter 1

Love is Big Size

It’s always dull moments like this, when Hani feels like she doesn’t have anything to live by. Work starts at 9, and ends at 5. It takes 15 minutes long train ride from her small flat at the suburbs of Seoul to the tall building of her office in the middle of town, or maybe more when she misses the train. Breakfast, going to work, coming home, dinner, and sleep. It keeps repeating and she knows she should be grateful about it because not everyone is lucky to has such luxury, but it’s hard when she is at work, witnessing Luna and her new boyfriend being all lovey dovey at her cubicle across her.

“Tone down the PDA, will you?” Someone says from the cubicle next to Hani, probably out of frustration. She chooses to stays quiet and focuses on her task instead, it’s much more easier.

“Shut up Taehyung, you are just jealous!” Luna says before proceeds to kiss her boyfriend on the lips. Her boyfriend doesn’t seem to mind the attention, as he keeps making this weird noises while they put their lips together, something that Hani doesn’t really want to witness.

“Oh gosh I can’t take this anymore!” Taehyung hits his table before standing up, and storming his way out of the building. Hani raises her brows while typing something on her keyboard, Taehyung rarely gives up about this thing.

Hani tries really hard to focus on her job, but Luna doesn’t seem to willingly stop the act. Now Hani understand why Taehyung runs out of the building. Their boss doesn’t really care about whatever PDA happening in his place. In fact, he doesn’t care whatever kind of his employees do as long as their job is nicely done and finished in time. Thus why telling about Luna’s whole commotion doesn’t exactly helpful, because as annoying she is, she is one of the best employee at Min company.

If only Luna’s desk isn’t located right in front of Hani’s and reminding her about her pathetically single life.

“Unnie, are you disturbed by us?” Luna asks once, probably noticing the distaste on Hani’s face.

Hani smiles sarcastically, and doesn’t even bother to look at her junor when she answers back with a question, “what do you think?”

 

Now Luna’s boyfriend isn’t so bad. His girlfriend claims him as a really kind person, and Hani will definitely believes if he doesn’t come into work this morning and stares at Hani from head to toe, all while whispering “am I seeing an elephant?”, like Hani is deaf and can’t hear what he says from a few meters away.

Luna gasps at that and slaps his hand, but doesn’t bother to fixes his ty attitude.

“What’s wrong with that head?” Taehyung puts his tray of food next to Hani’s, and proceeds to sit next to her. After long time contemplating whether to hold or just give up and make a resignation mail, Taehyung decides to stay longer and tells the whole commotion about Luna’s boyfriend to their boss. Maybe he will finally do something about it. They can only hope. Besides, leaving Hani alone is never Taehyung’s plan.

Hani shrugs, bites into her apple.

“I almost punch him when he called you elephant. I hope he knows that he looks like worm.” Taehyung says, almost nonchalantly. Hani knows he is fuming inside.

“He actually whispered, not called me out.” Hani says calmly, following by Taehyung murmuring about something that both of him and Hani aren’t deaf, “and you actually called him monkey earlier so it’s fine. Which is I’m grateful about. Thank you, Taehyung.”

Taehyung pouts, probably doesn’t really like about how Hani deals with everything in her life. But he loves her, and he wants to make sure that she knows. “You know I will go to moon and back just for you.”

Hani smiles, and takes another bite to her apple.

“I know.”

 

 

When Hani goes back to her table after lunch, long time after Taehyung goes back alone, Luna’s boyfriend has gone somewhere. She awkwardly says something about he has work to do. Hani glances over at Taehyung who is smiling, like he just wins something important. The whole thing makes Hani believes that Taehyung’s complain made their boss did something about it. Finally.

“Just curious, unnie, Did you tell about my boyfriend to boss Min?” Luna asks, and tries really hard to sound like she doesn’t care.

“No I didn’t.” Hani answers, because indeed it wasn’t her.

They finally works in silence, and Hani makes a mental note to send a thank you email to her boss. She doesn’t need to, because Mr. Min comes out of his room, and walks to the middle of the room, which is right in front of Hani’s table, all while holding his infamous graceful smile.

“Ladies, and gentleman.” He says, and Hani can see Taehyung rolls his eyes, if only there is no standing board separating their tables. “I want to deliver a really good news and bad news. Which one do you prefer to hear first?”

It is a mess in a blink of eyes. Mr.Min is a really friendly person, and sometimes his employees don’t really know the limit between an employee and an employer. He treats everyone like his friend, and as a result everyone treat him like he is their friend, which is why there is no hesitation at interacting. Hani realizes this as most of his co workers yell around about whether the good one should be told first, or the bad one.

Hani also hears Taehyung yells “good one!” again and again from his table.

It takes a moment for the whole commotion to go down. When everyone stops yelling like animals, Mr.Min decides to tell whatever it is for good.

“Bad news first.” He says, just because he can and he is the boss, slowly prolong each words to make it more interesting. “So, I am going to... retire.”

It’s jaringly silent for a while, before someone yells a big and confused “what!?” from over there.

“Does that mean we all are going to get fired!?” Another one yelled somewhere and suddenly it’s a big scene again. Everyone yells, asking about whether they are going to lose their job just like that. It takes more time this time for Mr.Min to calm everyone down.

“Easy guys.” He says, and Hani hears a faint sighs coming from her boss. He is tired. “I’m just and old guy who needs to take a break, enjoy life.”

“Good news though,” he continues, even as everyone starts to talks around by themselves, “My son is going to replace me here.”

The jarring silent returns, and Mr.Min claps his hands in glee. No one seems to join him. “Don’t be afraid guys, I will definitely keep you here. My son will join me tomorrow and learn everything he needs to know to lead a company. I’m still here for a few months, but with him helping me around.”

Hani shrugs to herself. As long as none of them get fired, she doesn’t really mind. She doubts there will be lots of changes after someone else leads the company, for the one replacing the boss is his own son anyway. They must have lots of similiarities, both in doing and in thinking. After all, she hopes Luna will still sit in front of her and Taehyung will still sit next to her. As annoying as Luna is, Hani is used to her weirdness, and the day feels so long without Taehyung’s antics next to her.

 

 

The whole single thing started when Hani was in high school.

The poor girl didn’t really care about love life, let alone having a boyfriend. It was hard to have a crush on someone when the only thing you are trying to do is to hold on. Hani accepted the fact that she was fat, and ugly, just like how his class mates kept telling her everyday. It was almost heart breaking that no one seemed to care about her feelings, and abused her with cruel words every single day.

Thinking that she would forever be a loner, came Min Yoongi into the picture. One that came out straight from a manga. Handsome, rich, smart without having to work really hard, and on top of that, cool. He looked like he didn’t care, but everyone knew that he always voluntereed to do good things. Like that one time he helped collecting money from students and giving it to orphanages that in need of money. Yes, he once caught smoking, but no one seemed to make Hani’s heart flutter other than Min Yoongi, the class mate who didn’t care even when he ended up having to be in a project group with Hani.

Min Yoongi treated Hani just like he treated everyone else.

Hani once proud with saying that she had a crush on Min Yoongi. With a mind that Min Yoongi was a kind person and would never mind to hurt Hani’s feeling, despite all odds, Hani decided to confess her feelings. It was Hani’s first and probably last confession.

It was raining, and both of them were under the umbrellas each of them held in the middle of school’s yard. Min Yoongi read her pink letters with indescribable emotion on his face. It was a really interesting scene, ones that definitely wasn’t going to be missed. Other students were staring excitedly from their class through the open windows.

Hani expected a sorry coming from Min Yoongi. Or maybe, just maybe, her feeling wasn’t as unrequited as she thought.

What she didn’t expect was Min Yoongi threw her letters to the ground and stepped on it like it was something filthy. Min Yoongi lifted his face, stared right into Hani’s eyes, and with emotionless face said something that broke Hani’s poor heart to pieces. “Are you ing kidding me?”

The whole crowds laughed. Min Yoongi walked away, his back seemed cold and distant. Hani admitted in defeat that her love life is ed up, and she is probably going to be single for the rest of her life, too tired to try. Hani promised to never, never fall in love again.

 

 

So maybe faith is playing with her or anything. Out of millions people in Seoul, out of thousands people with a Min in their name, Min Yoongi is standing there in all of his glory, staring into nothing as he introduces himself.

“Hello, my name is Min Yoongi and I will help my father running this company. Please take care of me.”