finished

i hope we can still be friends

   HYEWON put her hands inside her khaki-colored coat's pocket, waiting for the next train to come and dropped her childhood friend, Yena.

She said she'll come back for christmas this year, and she's excited that they would actually meet after years has passed but Hyewon wasn't sure she's feeling the same excitement as Yena.

The sound of the train got even closer, it was so loud but it can't beat the sound of her beating heart.

She was thrilled, at the same time, anxious.

She was about to meet her first love all over again.

--

   "You look pale," Yena said, looking at Hyewon while she was driving through the bridge. "Are you sick?"

"You've always asked me that, then too" Hyewon said, making Yena laughed.

"Look, maybe I kind of jealous because you have such a fair skin you know."

"You don't have to be jealous, you're already pretty that way. Like then too, you're the prettiest."

Yena laughed, almost jumped out of her seat. Hyewon didn't understand, did I say something wrong? She thought.

"Who are you kidding, Kang Hyewon? We both know you're like the most popular girl in high school."

Hyewon didn't really know what's the point of being popular back then, she still is. She didn't see the point of being popular if the only person she looks at doesn't see her the way she does.

"Yeah?" Hyewon responded.

"I'm not on your level that I thought you won't befriended me anymore."

"Weird, cause I thought you were the one that decided to not befriend me at school." Hyewon giggled, looking at Yena.

"High school is weird, let's just put that aside. All that matters is we're still here now, we can talk to each other, that's all that matters."

"Yeah, it's all that matters to me too."

--

   Home was warm, at least the time Yena came, it did.

Hyewon used to be the one came to knock at Yena's door, asking if she can stay the night because her parents quarelled. But it's Hyewon's turn to took her in, because her parents wasn't there for her anymore.

They had a dinner, and Hyewon's family was so happy to see Yena and how well she has grown for the past years. She has become a lot prettier, a lot more delicate, and Hyewon couldn't take her eyes off of her when she laughed with her parents. She's still enchanted by her laugh.

Dinner has done and they wash the dishes together, Hyewon and Hyewon's mom has told Yena to stay still but she's eager to help. "Why?" Hyewon asked.

"I don't know, I just want to," Yena said, smiling at her while putting some plates on the shelves.

--

    Hyewon slept on the carpet while she let Yena slept on her bed. None of them has closed their eyes. It was dark, the silence between them kept getting thicker, only the sound of the clock ticking and their own beating heart audible.

"Hey, Hyewon, have you slept?" Yena asked.

"No."

Yena hurriedly got up and turned to the other side of the bed to see Hyewon. "I want to be honest," Yena said reluctantly, "My parents wasn't mad at me because I decided to ran away to Seoul." 

Hyewon tried to process what she had heard and turned to learn Yena's face.

"They actually kicked me out." She said, leaving Hyewon puzzled. "...why?"

"Would you kick me out too if I tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

Yena hesitated for a second and took a deep breath. "I'm gay." Yena said, looking straight into Hyewon's eyes.

"I won't kick you out for that." Hyewon said, her voice almost sounds trembling because her heart is beating faster.

"So, I've always been knew that I am, but I just recently decided to come out. I had a girlfriend and I took her to my parents, when I told them that i'm gay, my Dad almost hit me. He told me to never come back home. Two months after that my girlfriend left me to marry a man of her parents choosing. So actually, I'm confused, I... I have nowhere to go. I was... I think I have no worth, that I don't deserve love, and I hate myself so much. I thought when I called you back then, you won't receive my call, and if you didn't pick up I might have gone now, but you picked up, so you kind of save me from me. Thank you. Thank you for picking up," Yena said. "I hope we can still be friends tomorrow, I hope you won't leave."

Hyewon got up and hugged Yena tightly. "I won't leave. I'll take care of you." []

fin