The Elevator

Another Version

.

 

 

 

 

They were in Osaka for their concert. This time it was just the two of them.

It was the night before their concert. They had just finished rehersals. Taekwoon was dead tired, but Wonshik still had the energy to go to the gym.

So Taekwoon just fell asleep.

When he opened his eyes again he has met with the sight of Wonshik.  His skin, his chest, his abs. It was glistening with water droplets, fresh from the shower. It was calling for him to touch. So he did.

But Wonshik stopped him. Grabbing him by the hand and placing it back on the bed next to his pillow, which Taekwoon was still laying on.

"Stingy," Taekwoon laughed.

Wonshik gave him an indiffernt expression as he dressed; and Taekwoon tried to ignore it.

He yawned and stretched, asking what time it was.

The other said it was time for their dinner and everyone was waiting for them at the restaraunt. He also said they're gonna be late, so he'll leave first to let the ones there know that Taekwoon was on the way, while the elder could got ready.

It made sense that Wonshik left first, Taekwoon guessed. But he wished he had waited for him. Or even just asked. Like he use to.

Lately, it seemed awkward between them. There's a distance. Maybe because of their schedules. They haven't been able to see each other as much. Maybe the stress of work too. He heard Wonshik had locked himself in his studio for days the week before, again.

Sometimes he wished Wonshik weren't so hard on himself, cuz the members are always there for him. He's there for him. The other just had to say something, and Taekwoon can be there.

But there is something else. Something, different. And it makes Taekwoon feel uneasy, sometimes.

 

 

 

Taekwoon closed their hotel room door and it locked itself with a beep. As he walked down the hall he checked his pocket once more to be sure he had the card key, which he did.

He pressed the button for the elevator and it readily dinged open without any wait.

Then he pressed the first floor, the lobby.

He wanted to know the time so he reached for his back pocket for his phone, only there was nothing there. He then checked all his other pockets. Nothing. He had forgotten his phone.

So he pressed the 14th floor to get back to their hotel room. Then suddenly the elavator made a noise and it shook. He backed up against the wall to steady himself.

He was slightly shaken too.

Then it was quiet again. And then the elevator was moving again. Strangely, it wasn't going down to the lobby first, but back up. He watched the floor number go from 4 and climbing upwards.

It was weird.

Soon it reached the 14th floor again and the doors opened.

He stepped out into the hall and the lights looked a bit dimmer then he had remembered.

He got to their door, 1404, inserted the card key and the door automatically opened. He walked in and the first thing he noticed was the big king sized bed. They had booked for a room with two twin beds and that's what he remembered seeing before leaving the room minutes ago.

And secondly, at the end of the king sized bed was a room service cart  filled with half a bowl of strawberries, a can of whipped cream and two bottles of wine and two half empty wine glasses.

Taekwoon thought he might had been in the wrong room. But the door number was correct and the card key worked. Even the window view was the same, he thought. It's just that there's something off.

Suddenly the bathroom door opened and a sense a relief came over him when he saw Wonshik walked out in a long white bathrobe, hair wet and slicked back. Taekwoon's breath hitched just a little.

"What are you doing here again?" Wonshik said to him, annoyed with a frown. "I thought I told you yesterday that you got the wrong room already. Do I have to call security on you?"

"Wonshik, stop joking around." Taekwoon said, confused. "And why are you still here?"

The other shook his head, smiling. "Look, I don't know what game you're playing now. I love all my fan girls, and boys, equally. But there is a line."

"Shikie, you're a meanie," said a high-pitched feminie voice, followed by a peppy petit girl bouncing out of the bathroom in a matching long white bathrobe, wrapping her arms around Wonshik. "Why'd you leave me in the shower cold and alone." Her hands snaking up his chest and into his robe, kneading the flesh there. "I missed you and your hot co-"

Wonshik made a sound something between a cough and a groan, so the girl would stop.

It's then Taekwoon noticed something was missing.

"Oh, whose this?" The girl finally noticed Taekwoon, eyeing him up and down. "Oh, are we gonna have another round as a ? Mmm, and he's pretty too. I didn't know you were into that." All the while she continued on rubbing her hands all over his chest.

Taekwoon had noticed Wonshik's tattoo was missing from his chest.

At the same time Taekwoon imagined gnawing those hands off and replacing them with his own and be the one whispering sweet dirty things in Wonshik's ear. Except this is not his Wonshik. But he looked just like him and this scene in front him makes Taekwoon ache for him even more. And he doesn't know how to stop it.

"No, babe." Wonshik said in a deep, gentle voice to the girl. "It's just you and I tonight. He was just leaving. Unless he really wants to join us." He turned to Taekwoon with a smirk, cocking his eyebrow.

Taekwoon was staring them down. The girl was now playing with Wonshik's ear, long pointed finger nails tracing his cartilage. Her lips ghosting over his neck. While slowly he closed his eyes turning his head towards her. Both their lips nearly touching.

Stop it. Just stop it. Taekwoon wanted to shout. His insides were boiling. His fists were shaking. But he had to hold it together. He couldn't let his emotions show, not in front of Wonshik. Not this Wonshik.

Taekwoon turned around, walked to the door and shut it behind him. He was back in the dimly lit hallway again, all by himself. And he let out a big breath he didn't know he was holding.

He got to the elevator again and pressed the button. This time he had to wait, in fact it seemed like the elevator wasn't moving at all. He kept pressing it, again and again, harder than he should. But it still wasn't going.

And he swear, he began hearing them, their shameless echoing through the hall. He covered his ears with his hands and closed his eyes wishing to wake up. Because this has to be a dream.

Why would Wonshik pretend not to know him? Why would he bring a girl into their hotel room? Why would he treat him this why? This isn't the Wonshik he knew. No, this isn't him he reminded himself. The tattoo was missing.

"Taekwoon." Suddenly, he felt a pair of warm hands over his. He opened his eyes and there was Wonshik, slightly out of breath, looking back at him with concern and worry.

Wonshik promptly pulled him into the elevator as it closed.

"Won—"

He didn’t even have the chance to finish his words as Wonshik rushed forward and Taekwoon stumbled back. The next thing he could register was Wonshik's lips on his, while those strong hands held his neck and waist firmly in place. Taekwoon went stiff for a moment, but soon gave in circling his arms around Wonshik's shoulders, tilting his head and parting his lips as an invitation.

But it stopped there. Wonshik pulled away. He stared wide-eyed at him as if just realizing what he had just done and he stepped back.

Taekwoon found himself moving forward anyway, wrapping his arms around Wonshik's shoulders tightly, as he pressed his forehead against the side of his head. Wonshik rested one hand on his back, not moving to touch him any more than that.

"Hyung, where have he been? Are he hurt? Are he ok? We were all so worried," he said gently.

Taekwoon was happy just to hear his concern over him. But then something caught up to him.

"I'm ok. What do you mean, where have I been?"

Wonshik pulled back slightly to look at him. "We've been looking for you all over the hotel and the streets for nearly two hours. And you left your phone in our hotel room. We didn't know what happened to you. We were about to call the police."

Taekwoon hesitated. "I—I was in our hotel room—the whole time."

Wonshik shook his head with a troubled frown. "No, you weren't."

Just then the elavator doors opened with a ding. They looked at the  floor number. It was on the 14th floor. Then they both looked at each other.

The next moment, Wonshik held his hand. Giving Taekwoon a sense of security. And together, cautiously, they stepped out of the elevator and into the hallway.

The lights were no longer dimmed, but a warm bright yellow again like the first time they arrived to the hotel. They slowly approached their door, 1404. This time Wonshik used his key card. The door beeped open and they made their way in slowly.

They took a once look around. Everything was like it was before. Two twin sized beds, sheets undone. Their luggages beside each of their individual beds. The restroom was clear and the bathrobes were untouched. Nothing more, nothing less.

In the end they never went to the restaraunt. Taekwoon told their manager he simply wasn't feeling well, and their manager knew him long enough not to dig more into that. And even got them bentos from the convenvient store.

The two stayed in their own hotel room to eat, while Taekwoon told Wonshik everything he saw. Afterwards Wonshik held him in his arms and said a soft, "I'm sorry," and no other words.

Taekwoon didn't know why the other was saying sorry, but he just accepted it as comforting words.

 

 

 

A day later, after their last concert, on the morning they were about to check out the hotel staffs told them they had finally recovered footage from their CCTV. Before they said they had some technical problems.

Anyway, they said all they saw was Taekwoon leaving their hotel room and entering the elavator and not coming out for a long time. The next time they saw was him with Wonshik, coming out of the elevator and going back to their hotel room. The footage from inside the elavator was missing.

Taekwoon would be lying if he said he didn't get some chills from hearing all that. Later, when they got back home to Korea he told the other members about what had happened, without the part about the girl. And even they found it eerie.

Some days later Hongbin randomly told him he might had crossed over into another universe, another world, time and/or place. He said that the Wonshik he met might had been another version of Wonshik. That notion sent shivers up his spine.

Another universe where Wonshik didn't know who he was, or gave a damn about him. Another universe where Wonshik found someone else. Another universe where he might not even really existed.

What a sad thought.

Well, at least in this universe I exist and we found each other, Taekwoon mused. As he leaned down into the back seat of their van with Wonshik by his side after another live performance.

He look down at the other's hand next to his and without a thought he placed his on top of it. But almost in an instant that other hand flinched away.

Maybe he was mistaken after all.

Taekwoon felt embrassed, slowly sliding his hand away only for the other hand to grasp it. This time Wonshik was the one to interlock their fingers together and his thumb smoothes over Taekwoon's index finger before giving the other's hand a squeeze. And Taekwoon felt complete even if it's for just this moment.

He wouldn't trade this for any other universe.

 

 

 


___________________________________________________________________________
Was inspired after hearing stories about people accidently crossing over into other universes. Thought I'd give it a try with WonTaek. This was a little angsty, a little bittersweet, like how I feel about their relationship sometimes. :/

 

 

 

 

.