Touch

Touched

Jonghyun chuckled to himself as he moved Jinki’s glasses. Just a small, slight shift that would hardly be noticeable to most people but to him it felt like it was moving a mile. 

Dusting invisible dust off his hand Jonghyun nodded with pride. 

It had only taken him six months of practice to be able to move Jinki’s glasses without feeling absolutely drained afterwards. 

Being dead certainly had its draw backs. 

A melancholy feeling came over him, he didn’t regret the choice he had made. It was the right choice for him, at least that’s what he was still telling himself. He wasn’t necessarily happy about the choice but he wasn’t in pain anymore. 

Shifting over to the dresser, he tried to touch a photo of the five of them. His finger slipped through the frame, his energy level too low for him to be able to physically interact with anything in the physical realm. 

He was more at ease now, most of the time.

Of course it caused him pain to see his friends and family in pain, suffering because of his selfish choice, but the pain he felt before, he couldn’t live with that pain any more. 

He didn’t regret the choice but he did regret hurting everyone. He knew that they would miss him, mourn him and curse him. He knew that but it didn’t make a difference. 

It was him. There was something wrong with him. He never should have traveled the path he did and he couldn’t get off of it after he began. 

It was something he thought of often after ‘waking up’ three months after he died. 

He hadn’t really, truly believed in the afterlife while he was alive, so he found it ironic that of all people, he was destined to become a ghost. To linger on while so many moved past, and try as he might, he couldn’t go. 

So he decided that he would just make the most out of it. He would look on his family and friends and make sure that they were healing, moving on and continuing living. He didn’t want to be the reason that they stopped. 

The sound of the front door slamming closed jolted him out of his thoughts. Jinki was home.

His older friend appeared in the room, eyes shifting as though he knew something was off, before shaking his head to clear his thoughts. He moved over to his nightstand and stopped short of picking up his glasses. “Huh.” 

He could have sworn his glasses were in front of his alarm clock and not in front of his lamp. Shaking his head again, Jinki ignored the odd feeling. He moved to pick up the metal frames and dropped them as soon as his fingers touched them. 

“Damn it!” He swore, bringing ice cold finger tips to his lips to try and warm them. “How are you so cold?” His finger tips were red, as though they had the beginnings of frostbite. 

Jonghyun giggled, covering his mouth with his hand. The only downside of moving physical objects was that Jonghyun’s energy (or lack thereof ) often leached all the heat from them, leaving them colder than ice. 

He then watched as Jinki left the room, leaving the cold glasses behind. He followed the elder to the bathroom. 

There was no point in having any shame now, Jonghyun thought as he watched Jinki undress and get into the shower. He sat on the counter and swung his legs, listening as Jinki hummed one of the songs they had just released.

SHINee was continuing on without him, and while the thought of that was depressing, it made Jonghyun happy. His friends were carrying on, keeping themselves alive in a way that he just couldn’t anymore. 

The steam from the hot water fogged up the mirror and while Jonghyun couldn’t actually see his reflection, he still turned to look. 

Brushing a hand against the glass, Jonghyun would have gasped if he had any breath. A faint trail appeared where he had touched. 

Eyes crinkling with his smile, Jonghyun felt his hand move without any real thought. 

The water in the shower shut off and Jonghyun heard the curtain flutter open as he finished the last of his . 

He watched in the foggy reflection as Jinki wrapped a towel around his waist. 

He watched as Jinki looked up to the mirror, looking through the air where Jonghyun’s non-corporeal body was. 

He watched as Jinki’s eyes went wide, wider than he ever thought they could, and he watched as Jinki’s mouth dropped open. 

Jonghyun smiled at the shocked look on Jinki’s face, he felt beyond proud of himself as he watched Jinki realize what he was seeing. 

“Jonghyun?” Jinki’s soft voice questioned, wet with the sound of tears. “Are you here Jonghyun?”

“I’m here.” Jonghyun said, slipping off the counter and walking to his friend placing a hand through his arm, trying for comfort. 

Jinki began to cry, hand reaching out to touch the foggy surface of the mirror, eyes never leaving the streaks of clear mirror. “Jonghyun.” 

 

Thank you Hyung. 

I love you. 

You are doing well. 

Jonghyun