More Than Words

More Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihyo sat at the front of her poetry class quite excited to be dabbling in some creative writing. It was the last semester of her third year at NYU and she finally found time in her schedule to squeeze this class in.

 

Jihyo was a busy person. She worked as the dean's assistant in between classes and when she wasn't working, she would volunteer her time at the Transfer Center. As if those weren't enough, Jihyo was also the president of 2 clubs on campus.

 

She was an honor student who, much like her other friends, were at NYU on a scholarship. Despite all her extracurriculars, she managed to maintain an excellent GPA and was in fact in the top 5% of her class.

 

When Jihyo wasn't drowning in work or hanging out with friends, she spent a lot of time reading or writing. It didn’t really matter where or when, as long as she had time she would either take out a book to read or start scribbling ideas in her journal.

 

As an English Major she enjoyed creative writing, but poetry was something that terrified her. She never fancied herself as much of a poet. She was much more confident in her ability to write longer pieces of fiction -- short stories were her strong suit.

 

Still, she did enjoy reading poetry. She liked how you could say a lot with very little words. Her favorites were mostly about romance (though she wouldn't openly admit that to any of her peers). The art of writing poetry about love and passion was elegant. Pieces about lost love were her guilty pleasure.

 

Jihyo wondered what this class in particular would be like. Speaking from experience, she knew how beneficial a writing class like this one could be. Although poetry was a genre she hadn’t had much practice in, she hoped that this class would allow her to hone her skills.

 

“Is this seat taken?” a soft voice interrupted her thoughts.

 

She knew that voice anywhere.

 

“Myoui Mina in an English class? What are you doing here?”

 

“I needed electives. But I actually do like poetry. I'm just not that good at writing it -- so I’m here to learn. And you, why are you here?”

 

“Why am I here? That's quite an existential question. I'm not sure I can answer that.” Jihyo said sarcastically causing Mina to pout.

 

“Haha I’m an English major, remember? This class is a requirement, but I do enjoy reading poetry as well and I want to write it better too.”  

 

Mina took the seat next to her. “Ah right. So I guess we’ll be seeing each other a lot this semester?”

 

“I guess so, Miss Myoui.”

 

And see each other they did. They had spent the entire semester practically in each other’s company. They worked on assignments together and always gave each other feedback about pieces they had to turn in.

 

Jihyo found herself admiring the dancer’s ability to write. Mina had a way with words that Jihyo rarely saw amongst her peers. Mina wrote poetry like she danced. Graceful. Elegant. Beautiful. Her pieces always managed to make Jihyo feel some type of way.

 

At first the pair just hung out solely for the purpose of their class but as the semester progressed both found joy in the other’s company. Jihyo, in particular, noticed how easily the dancer could lift her mood.

 

Being near Mina was relaxing and it distracted her from stress. Mina filled Jihyo’s life with light; but it wasn't the obnoxiously glaring light around noon. It was more like that golden hour right before the sun sets when all the world glows with a certain beauty.

 

Jihyo’s life was chaotic and Mina was the calm. She was serenity. She was the escape Jihyo needed to find peace even if it was just for a few moments. The more time she spent with the dancer, the more Jihyo found herself falling for Mina.

 

Something about how modest Mina was amazed her. The girl was clearly gifted in a lot of ways but she always reminded humble. Maybe that's why Jihyo found her attractive. Mina was down to earth despite being practically perfect.  

 

“You know, for someone who said they couldn't write well, you sure know how to churn out masterpieces,” Jihyo said as she finished reading another one of Mina’s poems.

 

“What are you talking about? They're not that good. Honestly.” Mina took the piece of paper from Jihyo’s hands and stared at it with discerning eyes.

 

“Yeah and I'm sure the professor compliments you after every assignment because you're an ‘extremely terrible’ writer!” Not that Jihyo was jealous, of course. The professor also complimented her work every now and then.

 

“Well people have different tastes. Maybe she just likes my style of writing,” Mina insists.

 

“You must have high standards if you don’t like your own work.”

 

“I like your pieces better than I like mine. So if I have high standards then that means yours are better.” Mina tried to weasel her way out of accepting the compliment.

 

But Jihyo was not having it.  “How about we agree to disagree?”

 

“Nope, yours are better and mine are basic.” Mina had a cheeky grin plastered on her face.

 

“You're unbelievable, you know that! How can someone be so oblivious of their own talent? And it's not even just writing. It's dancing and singing and everything. You're perfect but you can't see it.”

 

That came out more forceful than Jihyo intended. It caused Mina to blush and Jihyo felt the heat rise in her cheeks as well. An awkward silence settles between the pair but not for long.

 

“So uh are you going to Nayeon's party?” Mina asked in an attempt to change the subject.

 

“I mean I feel like I'm obliged to go since she is my roommate and she’s having it at our place.”

 

“RIGHT, right. I forget that. I see her so often at Momo's I forget that you two actually live together. I guess I'll see you there then. Will you be bringing anyone special?”

 

Jihyo raised a brow. Why was Myoui Mina asking her if she was bringing anyone? Everyone knew she was too busy to date. Though, given how strong her feelings for Mina have gotten recently, there might be an exception she was willing to make.

 

“Nope, I’m still single last time I checked. Are you bringing anyone special?”

 

“Well...I’m going with Sana, but she’s obviously not that special. It’s just me, myself, and I. Keep me company? I’m not too fond of parties.”

 

“Hopefully I'm sober enough to interact with you but I won't make any promises. I drink the stress away. And I have a lot of stress to get rid off.” Jihyo lets out a laugh.

 

Mina furrows her brows. “I can't imagine. I don’t know how you do it, Ji. You’re like a god-- doing all these things.”

 

“Me? A god? I would think your life is more stressful, what with you going to auditions like all the time.”

 

“Yeah but I love to dance. In a way, it relaxes me. Auditions are rough, but I try to just keep improving myself and not let rejection get the best of me. You know I think the only thing stressing me out right now is writing! Somehow i just don't feel good enough.”

 

“Nothing  I say will convince you otherwise, huh?”

 

Mina shakes her head and looks at her poem again. Jihyo sighs. She wanted more than anything to show Mina how great she was, but the dancer was stubborn -- even more so than her. There was simply no arguing with Mina.

 

It was the night of Nayeon's party. Momo arrived with Jeongyeon while Jihyo and Nayeon were still setting up their apartment. It wasn’t too far from campus but it was New York; everyone walked everywhere. Momo insisted on coming early to help Nayeon get ready. She was a truly devoted girlfriend.

 

Sana arrived alone (and slightly buzzed) not long after the party officially began. There were only a few other people around at that time since most people don't show up to parties early. Music was blasting but no one was dancing yet.

 

By the time the party was in full swing, it was 45 minutes past the designated start time. Everyone that eventually showed up was already somewhat drunk. Jihyo herself had already downed several drinks as well. She was glad to see that people were finally dancing in the living room. At least her efforts of creating a playlist didn’t go to waste.

 

Despite having had a few drinks, Jihyo was still fairly coherent. She wanted to wait before truly getting too drunk. Mina had yet to arrive and Jihyo promised to keep her company; though, Jihyo was growing impatient. A college party where you're the most sober person isn't at all fun. You needed to be at a certain level of intoxication to tolerate all the drunk people around you.  

 

“Where’s your roommate, Sana?” Jihyo asked Sana who also seemed to be fairly sober.  

 

“Oh, she said she'd be late. She booked an audition in few days and she wanted to get some hours of practice in.”

 

“Ah...I see. Wow, I hope she gets it. I know she’s been trying to get a gig for so long.”

 

“Yeah, she has. Hey, by the way, what are we even celebrating tonight? Why did Nayeon suddenly decide to throw a party?”

 

“Another excuse to drink maybe? Nayeon just wanted to have a kickback. Spring is ending soon and some of her friends are graduating.”

 

“But she’s not graduating yet, right?”

Jihyo shakes her head. As far as she knew, Nayeon still had another year of coursework to complete for her double major.

 

“So what -- is she sad that she’s staying another year and that’s why she wants to get drunk?” Sana teases.

 

“Have you seen that girl? I think she would love to have any excuse to stay in school and be near Momo.” Both girls laugh.

 

Jihyo notices Sana’s expression change. “Why are you getting drunk tonight, Ji?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter