The Kingdom of Isolation

White Swan, Black Swan, and Myoui Mina

[Mina's POV]
As a guy, Dahyun has no charisma whatsoever.
It's not because that he's ugly or something, but he keeps ruining his own image. Like this morning, he calls me out loud from afar while waving her hand like a little kid meeting another kid in a kindergarten. Even for me who's not popular and don't really care for my image, it's kinda embarrassing. I raise my hand not as high as him and waves back. But then he runs to me excitingly as if he has a really urgent information to tell me. When I ask, "What happens?" he says, "Nothing really!"
"Then why are you so excited?" I ask again.
"This is a beautiful morning, Mina! We have to start a day with a positive energy. C'mon, smile! Like this," after that, she shows me his smile that's so wide. "C'mon, copy me!"
"Uhh no, sorry. I'm not good at smiling," I tell her. I'm a shy person and kinda socially awkward, so expressing emotions like that isn't my strength.
"Who in the hell is not good at smiling?! Everyone can smile!" oh yeah, one more thing about Dahyun is he's so bad at choosing his words. Sometimes he just sounds so rude and uses swear words (which I hate too much), although he's basically nice to everyone. He's an easy-going person who always sees the positive in people. I'm really glad that he wants to be close with me because, otherwise, I have no friends at all.
"Dahyun, I'm shy....."
"Alright alright. Ahh, not fun. Let's just go to the class then. I have so many gossips to tell today," he says while pulling me my hand to the corridor.
My heart is pounding for a moment. He's always like that, doesn't know the barrier between boys and girls. He even said that he didn't really like to be a boy. For me, it's just weird. But I'm a weirdo as well so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. "You're a guy, Dahyun. Don't gossip about other people," I tell her while he's pulling me to our class.
"Wow, that ist, Mina!"
"I'm... I..."
"I feel like you live in the 90's. This is why I force you to join one of the school's clubs. So you know what the people are up to these days," he says.
"Entering a club doesn't help me to get the good grades," I tell her. "And you need to study more. The exams are coming."
"Hhh..." we arrive in front of the class. "Alright, I promise I will study with you but you need to promise me that you'll choose one club. How's that?"
"Hmmm..." I'm considering it. I really need to help Dahyun to pass the exam and I think joining a club won't be harmful as long as I'm with him. I won't be active on that club anyway. "Okay, deal. But not that 'study'. You have to focus instead of ended up playing around like when the last time we studied together."
"Haha, I remember that! Fine then," Dahyun gives up. After that, he shows up his pinky finger to me, suggesting me to link mine on him. 
"What are you doing? We're in front of the class..." I can see some students are looking at us weirdly. I'm so embarrassed. Why is Dahyun so childish?
"You're always afraid of being judged by people. We need to live our lives without worrying about others, Mina. We are the weirdos of the school anyway, live in the kingdom of isolation! Who cares about-"
I put my hand on his mouth so he stops talking. "Ugh!" I link my pinky finger to his for a few seconds and quickly releases it again. I can see him smile satisfiedly because of that. So wide, his signature smile. "Shut up!" I push him to the class hurriedly because I know some people are watching us. I don't like to be the center of attention. But because of Dahyun, both of us have our nickname that has been known for the entire school. The nickname that's given because we are the socially awkward couple who lives in our cold own world.

The penguin couple.

 

 

 

(to be continued)