you don't answer

The Short Days

Hana washed her flushed face with cold water, as if to drench away all her sorrows, the tightened coil in her stomach and the face of his. She felt so foolish, she should have guessed earlier. However, she must have so naive that he could steer his chances in.

 

When she locked herself in the cubicle, she really didn’t think, cry or do anything. Bending her knees against her chest, she stared empitly at the dirty tiles of the bathroom. Her ears twitched at the sound of someone entering the washroom. The sound of someone wailing, and some whispered voices of comfort.

 

“Don’t worry he’s not going to sack you for defamation. Minho isn’t like that.”

 

“That bastard,” the girl hiccupped,” how could he insult me in front of all the students? Also,that in front of that ?”

 

Hana felt asleep then, the voices disappearing to a noise in the background. She didn’t dream at all. The sudden pang on her chest, her clamped fists and her face that quivered, said that she was not far from being carried to the dark world she despised. The endless rain of that day, her mother lying lifeless against the floor, blood stains that colored Hana’s white skirt and he suffocation of that apartment squeezing the pants from her.

 

She couldn’t decipher why, why everything must happen to her?

 

The vibration of her cell phone, woke her up from her deep slumber. Flipping it open, there was only one message from an unknown number. Probably she knew who it was so she didn’t hesitate opening from the continents of the cubicle to meet humid sir of the mid day.

 

Hana found Minho leaning against the pillar which stood stood erect beside the courtyard. School time long ended, and it seemed the school was empty of pestering students. Hana walked up to him, even though she despised him she couldn’t stop her heart beating so soundly for him

 

“Your bag.” Minho handed over her bag, which she slung over her shoulder. She couldn’t bare to look at him still. The wind had its way with Hana’s hair, plastering the strands to her cheeks.

 

“Lee Hana,” Minho heaved, with much difficulty.

 

Hana admitted to herself that she might have the way Minh called her name earlier, it seemed so sincere. But then,while Hana stood in front of Minho, everything seemed so wrong and so fabricated.

 

“The supervisor had said that she wants you to join extra classes after school for academic improvement. I will be the one,” he sighed,” conducting them. So I expect you to be present.”

 

Hana didn’t know what to think anymore.

 

“Okay.” she mumbled.

 

The dark clouds had assembled above their heads, with a sign that it would be raining. The cold air, the leaves rustling and the petrichor that waited to be smelled, all indicated that Hana should run away soon so that she won’t repeat the same mistake again.

 

Hana walked away, straps of her bag tightly gripped. She pretended that she didn’t hear the small mutter of apology from the rain man.

 

Hana went straight to the cafe, the load of work failed to exhaust her. The manager seemed worried by the aggressive action Hana had been taking, whether it was mopping the floor or grinding the coffee beans. It was almost unusual for Hana to act raged for whatever reason, her eyebrows knitted close and her lips pursed tightly. The manager couldn’t figure out the reason however he assumed something had hurt her, the expectations she held and the love she had.

 

Hana’s manger found Hana crying on the streets some 5 years back, when he had taken her in for a job. She held his legs to recruit so that she could save her mother, but she had no money. The manager pitied her, but as years slowly went by, it transformed to admiration for Hana remained so strong on her grounds. The school she attended was a public one and she paid no money, except for the books and stationaries. The manger often tried to provide her some pocket money, but was turned down as Hana insisted that she should only receive her salary.

 

Hana was like his own daughter, whom he raised for only 5 years but still he loved her as much.

 

The long hair she had, the sharp eyes that she had inherited from her mother and the average height of hers, was something he rmanager could never get tired of.

 

“Hana, go home.” He manager announced after he had inspected that something was wrong.

 

“The shifts…” Hana trailed off as her hands stopped moving.

 

The manager laughed, as he patted Hana on her shoulder.

 

“Go home, I say. And I recruited a young boy to help us around here, since I say we are lacking of some manly energy.” he cackled before he added, “He is scheduled to arrive at 8 and it is already 7, so be rest assured that everything will be taken care of.’

 

He stretched his arms, cracking his rusty bones as his belly was protruding.

 

“I need some exercise too.” he added in between yawns.

 


“Okay, I will be going if you want to kick me out so much.” Hana smiled, leaving the mop wrapped around the knob of the door. The manager defensively put up his hands, shaking his head to a ‘no’. Hana chuckled and enveloped herself in her cardigan that she got from her manager last Christmas.

 

“Be careful of the cold.”

 

“Of course.” Hana closed the door behind her, the bell chiming ever so slightly. Hana walked over to the bus stand, waiting for her bus to arrive. The bus was late to arrive, so Hana took her time to purchase an umbrella from the nearest convenience store so if rain arrives, she would not depend on the shadow of that person she expected so much from.