Chapter Two

Real Life Mermaid
Please log in to read the full chapter
I took a while because this chapter is kinda important to me. I'm trying to be didactic and clear about polyamory and about their feelings and everything. I hope it turned out to be a nice read. Please, let me know what you think!!!!   Happy New Year! <3  

 

 

The past few days for Taeyeon have been healing, especially for her mood. Even her friends realize that. Seohyun commented about how happy she is to see Taeyeon at least sincerely smiling more often and Yuri blatantly stated she'll kick Taeyeon's to Mars if she goes back to brooding mode again.

It's been two weeks since she first met Sunny and Tiffany and for the past five days they have been getting together daily. Sometimes they meet in the morning to grab a cup of coffee before walking on the beach, but what is certain is their lunch. Always there on time to chat over delicious meals prepared by Taeyeon's mother at the small family restaurant. Seohyun and Yuri joined them a couple of times and Taeyeon was glad they didn't embarrassed her in any way. Not even Yuri, for her surprise. The tall brunette was too busy inquiring the other two about everything and anything, showing much interest in the women. Taeyeon and Seohyun knew why.

After the meal Taeyeon would take them on a tour to a few touristic places around the island or they'd just go and hang out in Tiffany and Sunny's airbnb apartment before ordering take outs and watching a movie always chosen by Tiffany.

Today is not different. They didn't meet earlier, but the couple was there on time to have their daily lunch with Taeyeon, sitting on their usual table by the window.

 

"Do you mind keeping Tiffany company today?", asks Sunny after sipping her juice.

"What?!", Tiffany exclaims a little bit surprised by her girlfriend's question, "There's no need for that."

 

 

 

"Um— I don't mind. Sure, of course," Taeyeon interjects, "Why?"

"I have this little tour around the island with a few other artists. It's an airbnb thing I found. We're going to sketch the landscapes and everything".

"That sounds fun! When is it happening?"

"In an hour."

"Oh— Oh, okay!"

 

Taeyeon can't deny she's a bit taken aback by the sudden request, but spending time with them hasn't been a problem for her. Even though she feels a little bit nervous to be alone with just one of them for long. It hasn't happened yet.

They click. The three of them. And they know it. In the eyes of an outsider, they would look like long known friends chatting and catching up on the latest news in their lives. Their conversations always flow nicely and even when it becomes silent (which is quite rare—), it's comfortable and not weird at all. Sunny always has some funny remark about everything and Tiffany keeps that warm and familiar smile on her lips, making Taeyeon feel relaxed. The blonde feels like she's back on her body again after a while just roaming around and living day after another. The past few months have been troubling and quite dark for her, struggling to get her feet back in the normal routine of a single person's life, but Sunny and Tiffany make her forget about her ex and their situation, which is very good for her heart and mental health. It seemed like she just needed to occupy her mind with new things; or new company, in that case, since being around SeoHyun and Yuri always made her think about her considering how they'd look at her or even questioning about how she's holding up. She knew they had the best of intentions, still, it was not what she needed.

 

"If you're busy, that's okay. I mean, I'm a grown up even though Sunny makes it sound like I'm 5 years old." Tiffany says, glaring at Sunny before pursing her lips the slightest.

"Believe me, I don't like to leave her alone", says the other, "I'm scared she would paint the walls pink again or something."

"Again?", asks Taeyeon, stressing the word and showing her genuine surprise.

"That was an one time thing, okay?", Tiffany defends herself, "It was a mistake, I know that now."

"That— That actually happened? I thought she was kidding?"

"Yes, it happened. Over an year ago", replies Sunny with a side grin on her lips. Taeyeon takes a mental picture of it without much realizing.

"Well, it's not a story worth telling." Tiffany tries to avoid the subject, eyes on the shrimp she's eating.

"But now I'm intrigued. Please, entertain me".

"Can I? Please, let me tell her? Look at her face~", Sunny says in a sweet feminine voice.

Sunny points her chin at Taeyeon's direction, who is shyly batting her eyelashes. "Yes. Please~?" She then quietly giggles and hides her pink cheeks from embarrassment behind her glass, drinking her juice. She has got a bit self-conscious after having Tiffany's eyes on her for more than she thought was necessary.

"Oh, jesus. Fine, do tell," the brunette gives in, shaking her head a bit at their behavior.

"Thank you!", Sunny gently squeezes her girlfriend's thigh under the table, "So, we were together for, I don't know, three months at the time, I guess. And you know how it is at the beginning, right, the honeymoon period? We were glued to each other to the point our friends were nauseous around us. So, yes, back then I had this very close friend that was a client as well and he wanted to exhibit my work at his gallery in London. It was a two weeks thing and I'd have to be there, of course. So, um, a week before this trip, you can't imagine how clingy she got—"

"Hey!", Tiffany hissed.

"I'm sorry. But it was cute, I promise I loved it."

"I'm regretting this—", Tiffany sighs quietly, raising a brow at Sunny who just shakes her head a bit and pats the thigh she's still resting her hand on.

"No, no, let me finish. —Yeah, I stayed in London for those whole couple of weeks and when I got back, she had painted all the walls in the living room pink," she finishes the story with a silly grin and eyes shining adoration while she watches Tiffany eating. The latter rolls her eyes, not enjoying the attention to this very embarrassing story.

"Oh no, are you serious?", Taeyeon asked, leaning in a bit on the table while she glanced between both women.

"Oh, gosh...", mutters Tiffany.

"Yes, I'm serious", Sunny confirms, "And it was not a baby soft kind of pink, no. It was this terrible fuchsia pink that can blind you if you look straight at it for more than three seconds."

"What did you do?"

"I mean, it was her house, so I couldn't do much. But first thing I did after almost losing sight to one eye was laugh. I cried from all the laughing and she got so mad."

"I thought it would be a nice change. Cheer up the room since I was just so miserable without her there with me. Also, I was very bored. I had got used to being with her every day and then suddenly she just wasn't there anymore!", the brunette explains, putting a new piece of tofu inside after she's finished, stress eating this time.

"Wow..."

 

Taeyeon is surprised at the words. She has learned that the couple in front of her can be very cheesy and romantic, almost too close for someone who's single to feel comfortable around them, but still— Tiffany's words hit her hard. The blonde can't remember ever feeling like that. Yes, she could get clingy every now and then, but she also always needed her space in past relationships. Being glued together with any of her past partners just felt too much, even just thinking of it.

 

That. She envied that.

 

"See? I told you she gets, you know, kinda needy."

Tiffany huffs and it's very audible around their table, "Well, Taeyeon, be sure I'll tell you some stories about Soonkyu here when she's not around anymore."

"That's not fair!", Sunny says a bit too loud, but realizing it, she lowers her voice again, "and watch the name, Miyoung!"

Tiffany shrugs, a small provocative smile on her lips, "I think it is. Don't you, Tae?"

"Um— Er... I'm scared to say anything", she puts both hands up, showing she's not going to compromise herself, "I don't pick sides."

"She's already scared of you, look. She's smart."

 

They soon end their lunch time and walk Sunny to the meeting spot, where she's going to get together with the other artists, after grabbing ice cream cones for the three of them.

 

After bidding goodbye to the redhead, Tiffany and Taeyeon walk quietly to the couple's rented apartment, enjoying the sun and the island breeze.

 

"There's soda in the fridge if you want", Tiffany says after taking her shoes off and entering the cozy place, promptly making her way to sit on the couch.

Taeyeon shakes her head and does the same, following Tiffany but sitting on the floor instead, crossing her legs indian style and placing a small yellow cushion on her lap, just to keep herself occupied as she pinches its edges. "Thank you. I'm still full". She exhales heavily, thinking about all the food she ate minutes ago.

 

Tiffany watches her for a second. Sunny's voice echoes in her mind and she can't help but see Taeyeon with different eyes. It has been like that for a few days now. It still feels weird to just think about having feelings for another person, but again, her girlfriend's words keep on ringing over and over and getting her to wonder. Am I really feeling something here?

 

"So, um...", Taeyeon starts, eyes on the cushion she's fidgeting, oblivious to Tiffany's stare on her, "You are leaving soon?"

As much as the blonde tried to sound nonchalant, Tiffany could hear a bit of anticipation.

Tiffany then just nods for a second. "Saturday", she says, "We're going to Seoul tomorrow night to have dinner with my uncle before we leave the next morning."

"Ah...", murmurs Taeyeon, in a way to show the other she has listened and acknowledged. She tries to hide her disappointment behind a small shaky smile. Tomorrow is our last day together. then? I guess I'll miss you two.

 

Maintaining her attention on the teenage looking woman in front of her, she sighs to herself, wishing they could have more time to kind of sort things out first on their own, inside themselves. To leave without real answers bugged her a bit. But she could only account for herself; and that's how she's feeling. And a part of her wants it badly to stop. This part is glad they're going back to America so it can go back to being just the two of them again. The other part is still very much confused, but is aching to stay and find out what could happen.

But what exactly?

 

That's good. That's how things should be.

But I guess I will miss this nice and relaxed beach-y atmosphere she exhales.

Yeah. It's a summer vacation little crush, for sure.

 

Right?

 

"You said something about embarrassing stories about Sunny?", she hears Taeyeon's voice, bringing back the subject and that makes her quietly giggle, nodding.

"Are you interested in old pictures? Because I have tons of those".

A louder chuckle leaves her lips when Taeyeon opens a big smile, happily nodding her head as her eyes shine curiosity and excitement. She could almost imagine the woman jiggling on her seat, considering how happy she looks. "Please?"

"Okay".

Getting up from the couch and sitting beside Taeyeon, Tiffany opens up Sunny's laptop that's on the large coffee table — that was pushed aside so they could all lie on the floor the night before, — and presses the power button to turn on the personal computer. Taeyeon scoots back, a little closer to Tiffany, resting her back against the couch. She watches in silence as Tiffany picks up the remote from the projector they have on the apartment, already directed at the wall on the other side of the small room, facing them. It was already settled since they have been watching movies for the whole week now while laying on the ground surrounded by so many pillows and snacks.

"Remember: you're only allowed to laugh at Sunny's pictures. If I happen to appear on that screen—"

"Got it, got it. I'm good with the poker face thing", the blonde jokes.

"For some reason I don't believe that".

Taeyeon quickly get on her feet to close the window shades and block all the sunlight entering the apartment.

 

Tiffany had every kind of pictures of Sunny since she saved everything she could get her hands on and now she was sharing those with Taeyeon. It was fun laughing and cooing at every new photo that would appear on the wall, especially the ones of her girlfriend as a little kid with a round face and adorable cheeks. But Sunny would kill her if she knew Tiffany was showing Taeyeon the not-so-attractive pictures of herself when she was in college. Or even pictures of her teenage self. Not a very good period for her skin— but Taeyeon found all of them quite cute, even more than funny.

"Oh no, what's going on there?", Taeyeon asks when a picture of Sunny in a short blonde hair appears.

"Ah, yeah", the brunette chuckles, her eyes turning into crescent moons, "That's her tomboy phase".

"I would have never imagined", says Taeyeon before tilting her head a bit and glancing at Tiffany for a second, "Who are them?"

"Oh", Tiffany pauses.

She's trying to decide if she should tell the truth or avoid the question. It would be easy to say they were her friends and move on to the next photo.

 

Tiffany knows Sunny doesn't mind talking about her past relationships, but in the end, she feels like she's not the right person to be addressing the matter to Taeyeon. Especially to Taeyeon of all people... Since she's now worrying about feeling things she shouldn't for this woman. And knowing how things could turn out, being once on the receiving end of said aspects of Sunny's life and orientation, Tiffany is worried about the blonde's reaction.

But at the same time, she's surprisingly eager to see it, to know what her response would be.

 

Taeyeon is watching her with curious eyes and is about to open to take back her question when Tiffany interjects, "They were her boyfriend and girlfriend at the time. It's from her... 24th birthday party, I think", she tries to sound as nonchalant as she can, "I know his name is Sam but I can't remember hers".

 

There was a brief pause.

 

"Y-You knew them?". When Taeyeon realizes she slightly stuttered, she coughs casually to disguise it.

Boyfriend AND girlfriend? ...At the same time? What... What does that mean?

 

"I didn't— I don't. We were only acquaintances at the time, Sunny and I. Our families used to go to the same church since we were like... 15 or something, but we never talked".

 

Under Tiffany's apparent unconcerned gaze, she was paying attention to Taeyeon's every tiny reaction and she could see the soft shade of pink on her cheeks and the frown she had between light eyebrows for a split second. Tiffany could see she was trying to cover her surprise and the brunette couldn't blame her.

"Ah, really?", Taeyeon nods a bit. She has her head filled with questions but she knows she shouldn't pry, so she just go with the flow, conversation-wise. "You know each other for quite a long time, then". She doesn't want to make the air between them weird in any way, so her solution is just move to the next topic, even though she's trying to process the news.

 

What does that mean?, she asked herself internally.

 

"Um, one could say that, yes".

 

They fall into a moment of silence before Tiffany changes the picture and they laugh again at the young Sunny with bunny ears sticking her tongue out at the camera.

 

 

*

 

 

"Yah!", Taeyeon complains before letting an audible sigh out. She places the wireless game controller aside, "Why are you so good at it?"

"Because that's all she does", Tiffany teases, handing Taeyeon a glass of wine and then one for Sunny, both who had been sitting on the floor playing video games for a while now.

 

When Sunny got back, Taeyeon was playing with her phone while Tiffany lied on the couch, passed out, snoring and everything. Taeyeon even took a picture of the sleeping woman and sent it to Sunny, on their group chat consisting on all three of them. Tiffany had pleaded her to delete the thing, but nothing would get her to do it.

Now, Tiffany had showered and ordered something for them to eat while Taeyeon and Sunny played some games on the console the owner of the apartment provided them. They were chatting while waiting for the food to arrive.

 

"I also do art and do you", Sunny says under her breath and could see Taeyeon blushing and hiding her cheeks behind the big wi

Please log in to read the full chapter