Titel in progress

Developing Parenthood

Title in progress

 

What Donghae had done in an earlier life, he didn’t know. Maybe it would be for the best, he thought in the end.

The thing with his current life was that nothing was going smoothly. Not even close to the original plan. Had it ever gone smoothly in his life, even when he was a kid? Doubtful. At the matter at hand though- his only two employees had caught a cold at the same time. Most probably do to the fact that they kept sneaking away to snog in the breakroom every chance that they got. Teenagers these days.

So, in the end the café owner had to manage the place all alone the entire day. As well as find the time to eat lunch and order goods for the weekend that would start the following day.

He should also be at home to make dinner by now- it was already a quarter to seven- for his tiny family.

Letting out a sigh Donghae stretched his arms up over his head. Hoping that his back wouldn’t be in too much pain by nightfall.

Thankfully the number of customers had subsided during the last hours and the few that showed up ordered something small and easy to make.

At that moment the little bell hanging at the top of the entrance door let out a melodic sound, signaling a new visitor.

Following the sound of the bell was the sound of youthful laughter.

Looking up from his grocery-ordering list, the brunet café owner was met by a familiar sight of the three boys. The one furthers to the right- a spilt image of himself at that age. All those years ago.

“Hey dad! You never showed up at home at the usual time, so I figured that you had gotten stuck here.”

The trio took a seat in the sofa group closest to the front disk where Donghae was currently standing.

Nodding in a mixture of agreement and understanding the man walked out from behind the bar and made his way towards the younger boys.

“Promise me boys that when you get yourselves a job, do it. And don’t shove your tongue down other co-workers’ throats. It makes life so much easier for the owners.” Sighing again Donghae leaned against one of the armrests of the sofa.

Seeing the slightly uncomfortable look the other two boys gave each other the adult decided to change the subject at hand. Not wanting his son to lose his friends.

“How was your day? Did you behave in school and turned in all of your homework?”

Ruffling the hair of the younger male (with his face), the barista looked over to the two students sitting across from them.

“It was as usually. And yes, I turned in all my homework. Me and Hansol made the most goals during the PE football game. And Toya got to sit next to his crush at lunch, so I guess it was a bit better than all the other days.”

“Hey, you don’t have to tell it to everyone that we meet, now do you?!” With an angry huff the tallest of the trio reached over the low coffee table, aiming to hit the blabber-mouth on the head.

Frowning at his preparator, Minsoo rubbed his now sore head. “What do you mean by everyone, Toya? He wasn’t stupid enough to tell your crush, right?” Donghae asked.

Instead of giving him an answer to the simple question, it only brought a darker red blush to the tall boy´s cheeks. Making him speechless and hiding behind a pillow in result.

Shaking his head at the sight of his two closest friends Hansol, the one that so far had been quiet, said “Minsoo only told that cool neighbor of yours. The one that Soo´s probably got a thing for. He´s crushing hard.”

“I DON´T HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM! He´s just really cool and a genius. What´s there not to admire about him?”

Laughing at their carefree banter and in relief that none of the young males had any romantic feeling towards the man living across the hallway of their apartment. Donghae stood up from the armrest he had sat down on throughout the conversation, telling them to stay seated while he goes and make something for the three to eat and drink.

  1. knows how much a bunch of growing boys could consume in their stomachs.

When the clock nine in the evening Donghae turned the key, locking up the small establishment.

 

 

The original owner had always loved books and especially in the company of a warm beverage. Most of all coffee. With that in mind she had opened a quaint library/café, where you could either borrow a good book from one of the many high shelves or take out your own one. Be it for the will to disappear into another reality or continue with one filled with information for a school project. Some people did a little bit of both.

One afternoon a rumble up young boy came in to the small building. Carrying a heavy bag filled to the brim with books, pens and papers. He heaved his tired body into the closest armchair, leaning the bag next to it on the floor. With a sigh he put his head covered in a big brown birds’ nest that he called hair into his slightly cupped hands. Exam time was right around the corner and the stress seamed to be eating him up just like all the other students this time of the year.

After receiving a big white mug filled to the brim with steaming hot chocolate, topped with fluffy whipped cream, the young adult calmed down and took out the content of the carrier still standing on the floor. Three hours later the mug was empty of its content and the table where it was placed was no longer covered with study material. The furniture was left empty, the boy no longer to be seen.

The next day the young male had arrived around lunch and stayed in the same spot that he had occupied the day before until it was close to closing time.

This continued for the following weeks and as the days passed the owner got to know the brunet boy with a bird’s nest as a hairdo. He studied at a nearby high school. Last year. Which brought the heavy burden of entrance exams and decisions of university choices. Making him way more stressed out than he already was.

On a warmer than usually for being an early spring day he ran into his new-found study hangout and looked for the kind owner. When he spotted her standing by a table cleaning up after a customer, the brunet marched towards the woman and pulled her into a tight hug.

“I got in!! Can you believe it? I´m gonna study at one of the best and biggest universities in the country. When I get my degree in business I will treat you to something delicious. I promise!”

The summer following, the now-collage-student got a part time job at his favorite café. And as the time passed he continued to help out, even when school started.

Until the day came, and he couldn’t stay in school and keep his promise to the kind lady that gave him a place to learn, travel between different dimensions and experience work life.

 

 

“Dad, are you working tomorrow as well? I was thinking that maybe we could go to the mall and buy me a pair of new running shoes. Or that new game that just came out.”

Donghae tilted his head down to meet the eyes of the boy walking next to him. He really wanted to spend time with his son. And going shopping at the close-by mall sounded like a blast but as long as his employees was off work he had to step in. Something he usually never did during weekends. “I´m sorry Minsoo, but until Jiyun and Sungho are in shape again I have to manage the business. I should be back early though, Jongwoon-hyung is borrowing the place for some concert thing for his music students. So, I´m closing the café around five. I´ll swing by the grocery store on my way home.”

“Oh, it´s okay! I can just ask Hyuk-hyung if he´ll come with me tomorrow. He´s done with his latest assignment so he should be free to go.”

Not knowing how to respond without sounding petty for being replaced by his own son, the adult decided to change topic. Instead bring up the idea of going by the pizzeria down the block to grab a bite on the way home to their apartment. The question got a positive response. As he had anticipated.

 

Ten minutes to six a single figure made his was out of the small elevator of the apartment complex that he called home. With a messenger bag slung over his left shoulder and two bags filled to the brim with food in each hand, Donghae reached the front door leading into the flat.

He put down one of the luggage he was carrying so he would be able to reach forward and put in the code for opening the door in front of him. When the beep from the lock indicating that it was clear to enter the resident pushed down the handle, grabbed the standing bag and made his way inside.

The house was covered in total darkness, except for the light coming form the outside and a lone lamp hanging in the living room window. It was quite and empty. It could only mean one thing.

Minsoo is across the hall, bugging the way-to-nice neighbor. Poor man.

This was a common thing and if he stopped and thought about it he felt bad for the man living on the opposite side of the hallway. The little family of two had moved in in this apartment building five years ago. When Donghae had taken over the library/café from the former owner and had a stable income. The neighborhood was fancier than where they had previously lived, closer to his workplace and with safer and better schools for his son to enter. It had all seemed a little to good to be true. And when he met the man (that Minsoo now has as some form of idol) it got even better. Donghae had lucked out it seems.

Their neighbor was a man of average height, slim body, define jaw-line, full lips and single-lidded eyes with a gorgeous shade of brown. Over the years the single father had learned that the other man was the same age as himself- born half a year earlier, had a thing for changing his hair color (it was now a dark red) and his gummy smile was a thing that could make anyone fall head over heels for him. Donghae included.

Not that anyone should know about that. Which on a second thought everyone probably did. Jungsoo had said that he was an easy book to read in their early days. And it most certainly hasn’t changed.

Collecting his thoughts Donghae started to unpack the bags and putting the things where they belong. Not wanting anything to go bad. When all the things were in order the male went over to his bedroom to change into sweatpants and an old shirt. Something comfortable to cook in and later just chill in the sofa for the rest of the evening.

Walking out of his room in his casual outfit he made his way back to the kitchen. All ready to chop up the vegetables and fry the meat, after turning on the rice-cooker. Forty minutes later the food was all ready to be consumed and the table set, only thing missing now was his younger dining guest.

With a small sigh Donghae made his way to the front door and the later across the hall. Standing in front of a door similar to his own the brunet raised his hand to the entrance. Knocking rapidly against the wood a dull thud was heard in the building.

A minute later a man dressed in comparable clothing entered his vision. When their eyes met the red head´s eyes lit up and a brilliant smile made it´s way upon his lips. Making Donghae´s heart stop just to later skip a beat.

“Hey Donghae! Are you looking for your long-lost son?”

“Good evening Hyukjae. Yes, I´m here to relief you of the burden we all call by the name of Minsoo. I hope he didn’t show up way to early for a Saturday.” Donghae gave the older a small apologetic smile. Quite sure that his son had showed up at an alarmingly early hour of the day, even though he was supposed to be a lazy, tired teenager.

The other man responded with a bubbly laugh and nodded his head to tell the father that his hunch was correct.

“Minsoo´s a great kid and I don’t mind having him here. Even if it´s a bit too early in the morning. But hey, it´s always nice with a brunch companion. He´s always so full of energy. I wish I was the same back in my youth. Hahahaha.”

All the brunet could respond with was a heartfelt laughter.

Foot steps from inside the apartment came closer and a few seconds later a short boy came in to view behind the redhead.

“Dad? What are you doing here?” Minsoo asked when he reached the two adults.

“Hey! I finished making dinner, so I came to get you. Am I interrupting anything?”

The youngest of them all shook his head in a no that he did not interrupt anything. “Is it okay if Hyuk-hyung joins us? We haven’t had anything since lunch.”

Hyukjae opened his mouth, about to decline the offer. Not wanting to interpose on the family time. But before he had managed to form his first letter the brunet started talking.

“Thought I high doubt that you two haven’t had anything since lunch, I happen to know that both of you have a way to big love toward food to be able to not have anything. Which is most probably snacks so, yeah. Of course, you can eat with us Hyukjae. And before you try to say anything other than an approval, just keep in mind that I´ve known you for years now.” Donghae looked in the eyes of the older male. “We all know that you can´t cook anything other that ramen. Which isn’t even real food, food.”

With a nod towards the guys in front of him the chef of tonight´s supper made his way back to his home. Making a mental note that they should invite Hyukjae over more often during dinner time.

Well inside the kitchen he opened cupboards and draws, taking out an additional set of table ware for their unexpected guest. As he placed down the plate on the dining table the front door closed in the distant and seconds later Minsoo walked in followed by Hyukjae.

They took their seats around the table. All three of them where quiet, not do to awkwardness, but more likely due to hunger. Minsoo reached over the table with is plate indicating that he wanted rice, which stood on the counter behind his father.

Donghae served the long white grains to all three of them before leaning towards a pot standing in the middle of the guys. Scooping out just the right amount of curry from it. Since he had time this evening to make something that took a little longer than what he usually had the time for he had decided to cook his specialty, curry and rice.

He knew that Minsoo enjoyed it and it seamed like Hyukjae did to. Which in the brunet´s book was a big win!

Halfway into dinner the extreme hunger had subsided, and it was easier to start a conversation between them. Thanks to the fact that food wasn’t the biggest interest anymore.

They talked about the day the three had had. Donghae telling the about the café and some irritatingly stubborn guests that had shown up throughout the day. The respond was a comment from his son that there are no one in this world who is more stubborn that the owner himself. Resulting in a loud laughter from the oldest man at the table.

Even though he didn’t approve of the youngest´s snarky (and a little to close to the truth) comment, the sound Hyukjae produced made Donghae let it slide. For this time.

Minsoo should really be glad that his custodian had a soft spot towards their neighbor.

The conversation moved on and the two comrades started to tell the third party about the events they experienced throughout the day. It seamed that his son had ambushed the redhead´s house around ten in the morning (which was an improvement since earlier times). Donghae also got to learn that the boy knew the password to the other´s apartment.

They had gone out for brunch-and not to his place, traitors- after Hyukjae had gotten dressed for the shopping spread that would happen. It followed by endless shopping. From new shoes that where ´perfect for football and other sports´, a new hoodie and even way to expensive headphones as well as two new games. The latter they had bought when they got back to Hyukjae´s house where they had `the best computer there is`. So, they could download the games directly to Steam. Sometime during the time out, they had swung by a burger joint for a quick lunch break.

“Wait! How much of this did you pay for Soo? Last time you wanted something you told me that you where broke.” Donghae was confused to how they had managed to buy so many things. Most of it to the kid next to him at the round table. He didn’t want to think about the possibility that the other male had been the one wasting his money on Donghae´s brat.

“Eh, you see dad the thing is…”

Before Minsoo could finish his lame attempt to deny his father´s correct guess another voice was heard.

“It´s cool. I don’t mind paying for Minsoo´s things. It´s something that he can use a lot of times and I don’t really have anyone else than myself to spend my earning on either. Plus, the games where all free. Creators don’t usually have to pay for their own work.”

´The games where all free`? Creator? Now that Donghae thought about it he didn’t really know what he was doing for a living. He remembered that Minsoo had said something about Hyukjae developing a lot of famous games. Or in some way involved with that industry. The café owner didn’t have a grand knowledge about video-/computer games.

“I still feel bad that Minsoo made you pay for all the things.”

Hyukjae smiled a soft smile towards Donghae and added that he shouldn’t be feeling anything close to it. “Donghae, every time someone purchases something I have developed, which- not to brag- is very often, I get almost half of the earning. In the end I have more than I´ll ever need. Spending it on people I like is a given. If you still want to compensate me, you can see tonight´s dinner as payback.”

Feeling overruled, the youngest adult agreed to move on from the discussion. They were even. And Donghae was going to have a talk with his other´s-money spending son.

When all the food had been consumed and the dishes had been taken care of, Minsoo suggested that they should move into the living room. He told the two adults that Hansol had recommended both of his friends during the week about a new movie that he `had to watch`. And in the spirit of the good evening the two males didn’t have the heart (or will) to deny the suggestion for the night.

So, with that in mind the people in the house walked over to the sofa and armchair standing underneath a window painted white. With pots of greenery standing on the windowsill. The living room was simple, like most of the house. The walls were painted a light grey, with white around the window and doorframes, as well as the lower table. The seating area was made up by a charcoal grey armchair on the left-side and a sofa of the lager size in the same dark color, inclined next to it. Placed in front of the television. A big fluffy blue carpet was placed underneath all the furniture’s. A lamp hanging from the ceiling, another standing in one corner of the room and the last one hanging in the window.

On the wall behind the armchair, hung photos of Donghae and Minsoo. Some of them contained images of Donghae´s parents showing both a young Donghae and newer once of the younger boy from his birth- until now. The first photos of Minsoo´s early years was mainly filled with a beautiful woman and a handsome man. The first time the 18-year-old brunet met his nephew had also been saved in a frame for forever. When Minsoo became a little over three, the loving couple disappeared from the photographs and got replaced with only the single uncle. Donghae was then twenty-one, in the middle of his glorious collage days, making his way towards having his business degree.

 

 

It was Valentine´s Day, the weather was cold, but it was still raining. Donghae had promised his older brother and sister-in-law to take care of their son while they went out on a date. To honor the day.

Since the younger brother was single and not in the mood to mingle, he volunteered to take care of the then little Minsoo. Rather spending time with the boy than going out with friend to party or going on forced dates. Just because it was `the thing you´re supposed to do, to be like everyone`.

Six minutes till ten in the evening a tired Donghae got a text from his brother saying that the parents to the toddler were on their way home.

The little boy was sleeping in the university student´s embrace while the two were lazing on the sofa. Watching whatever romantic thing that was playing on the television. Almost forty minutes later the couple were still nowhere to be seen. Which made the young adult worry. The drive back to the apartment from the restaurant should take at most fifteen minutes. Even if the traffic was relatively busy they should already be back.

Five minutes later his Mobil phone rang loudly, and he reached over to where it laid on the table. When he answered he couldn’t make out a word the hysteric lady on the other line was trying to tell him. She was crying and talking in mumbles with dramatic pauses.

After asking her what she was trying to tell him- since he still didn’t understand- one to many times, she got replaced by a man in his late fifties. The male told him to bring the toddler with him to the closest hospital. As soon as he could.

Another twenty minutes went by until a running Donghae with a still sleeping Minsoo in his arms made his way through the big doors of the medical facility. Meeting up with his parents and a nurse standing outside the emergency operation-room entrance.

When he reached them, his mother started to cry all over again. Harder than she had done over the phone earlier. His father stood next to her, trying to console his wife. When she had calmed down she followed the nurse towards a bench further down the hallway.

The time seamed to slow down the more his father described what had happened to his oldest son and the mother to his grandchild. The man with pitch black hair (with specks of silver) delivered the news to his youngest child about how the taxi that the couple had taken had glided on the slippery road. Another car had made its way to the oncoming side, and before either car had manage to react and try to stop their vehicle the crash had already occurred.

Both cars had collided and the result where devastating. One of the passengers in the other vehicle passed away on the spot and so did the sister/daughter-in-law. Donghwa, Donghae´s older brother, was badly hurt and in that moment in surgery. The taxi driver and the other three travelers had made it with rather minor damages.

The operation took almost four hours and when the doctor came out of the room he told the family that the wounds were still extremely critical. It wasn’t certain that he would make it trough the morning in his condition. True to his words, the line went flat around seven in the morning. Leaving the remaining family in distress.

By that time the orphan had awoken and wanted to eat breakfast with his loving uncle.

Donghae devoted his attention to the small boy, he who didn’t know what had happened to his parents during the night and morning. They went down to the cafeteria. When they had finished the meal they walked back to the older couple.

His mother took Minsoo into her arms and pet his hair. Singing softly in his ear. When the three-year-old had by some miracle fallen back to sleep she turned her attention towards her youngest child.

“What will we do with Minsoo now? Should we ask if any of his mother´s sibling can take him in? If I remember, both of them have children of their own.”

“I´ll take care of him. Hyung and noona made me Soo´s godfather. To honor their wish, I will take him. It´s for the best. I love him.” Donghae reached forward and brought his nephew close to his chest as if to protect him for all that´s evil in the world.

His parents both tried to reason with him. Wanting him to re-think the decision. Bringing up the fact that he can´t raise a little human being while being in school.

Donghae refused to change his mind. Telling his parents that he would leave school and get a full-time job. So, he could support them both financially.

Seeing no way to make their stubborn son think again they had no other choice than to agree with the decision. Compensating in the way that they had to pay for the new apartment.

Since that day it had been the two against the world!

 

 

Donghae moved his eyes towards one of the newest pictures hanging on display. It was taken during the summer that just ended. It showed a smiling young teen and an older man looking like the boy. On the other side of the kid was another male. The man had then raven black hair, slightly longer that he had nowadays. They all had their lips raised upwards. The dark blue sky in the background was filled with fireworks in different colors. Further down in the photo you could see food stalls littering the road behind.

The café owner and a vacation happy Minsoo had gone to the local summer festival. Eating anything they found and playing every game they deemed worth spending money on.

In the middle of walking around they heard someone yelling their names in the distains. When they found the source of it they were met by a grinning, gum showing Hyukjae. The older told the little family that his friends had split up and left him alone. After that the three silently decided they should all continue on together.

When night time fell, and the fire display started the older had insisted that they should take a picture to remember it all. A few days later Hyukjae had come by their house and gave them a framed copy of the photo.

The brunet was sure it fit right in with all the other once on the wall.

When loud music started to play Donghae turned his view to the movie playing on the screen. Minsoo had sat next to his father and Hyukjae had taken a comfortable position in the armchair on his left side.

The movie turned out to be a new American action comedy. And in the end the two grown-ups seemed more into the film than the boy suggesting it. They all laugh at the man on the screen when he managed to mess something up.

  1. the movie was over they all agreed on watching another one. While the two buddies decided on the next one the single parent made his way into the kitchen to make popcorn and drinks for them. Within ten minutes they had all found back their positions in front of the television. Grabbing handfuls of the white puffy snack along with some jellies he had bought in the store on his way home from the café.

The second film turned out to be a Disney cartoon about a bunny that wanted to become a police officer in the big city. She met a sly fox along the way and they both became an unexpected duo.

As the movie came to an end Minsoo was fast asleep after a long day. The adults looked towards each other, smiling.

Donghae picked the teenager up into his arms and walked over to the boy´s room. Well inside he placed him on the bed. Took of his jeans so he would be comfortable. Thankfully the kid at making his bed so the covers where laying on the floor. Making it easy to drape it over the younger. He thought to himself that he would let the lack of clean teeth slip this time.

Well outside the brunet walked over to the front door where their guest for the evening was trying to put on his shoes.

They held eye contact with each other for some minutes (which in Donghae´s head felt like light years). Smiling at the other Hyukjae leaned forward and the younger male´s arm almost tenderly. The older took a step forward and pulled the frozen male into a tight, but brief hug. Seconds later the other had taken a step back.

“Goodnight Hae. Sleep tight! And thanks for the dinner and movie night.”

Before Donghae had the chance to say anything other than a goodnight back, the redhead had closed his apartment door. Resulting in a slightly confused and lamely happy Donghae.

 

The Sunday consisted of Donghae finally having a day off, thankfully Jiyun and Sungho were well enough to come back to work. After a talk with his employees the boss made them both promise to keep their hands and mouths away from one another. At least during working hours. The free owner dedicated his off time with doing house work. Washing clothes and cleaning the apartment. The teenager had gone over to Toya´s place for the day. The three boys had been talking about playing a new video game for the last weeks. And now that it had finally gotten released they met up to try it.

The following days went by in a fast blur. And when Wednesday came, Donghae found himself by the counter of the café taking orders from all the people coming by. It was the still-some hours between the lunch rush and afternoon haste when there was barely anything to do. The brunet welcomed it with open arms.

A soft chime rung throughout the building and the owner turned his head to greet the new costumer. In came a couple dressed in expensive clothes and a little girl in a red dress followed behind them. The woman said something to the little child and the girl in question rose her head up from the floor she had earlier been watching. The little girl looked at Donghae and begun running, not listening to her parents, trying to make her slow down.

The brunet walked around the front disk and kneeled, just in time when she reached him. She let out a high-pitched giggle and gave the adult a big smile. Showing of her missing tooth.

“Hey beautiful. How´s my favorite girl doing?”

Donghae received another giggle and a tight hug around his neck.

“Hae-oppa! Dad said that you missed us so much that we need to come here. I made you a bracelet at school yesterday. All the other students got jealous. Look!!” With that the six-year-old reached into her small purse she was carrying over her shoulder. Out of it came a bracelet made of plastic beadles in all the colors of the rainbow. All making an inconsistent pattern.

Donghae thanked his gift-giver and let her put on the handmade band. He then looked over her shoulder to meet the eyes of the older pair. The couple were grinning at the interaction between their daughter and the brunet.

“Hello Jungsoo-hyung and noona. When did you get back from Beijing?” The family had been visiting the women´s family in her hometown for some weeks in the end of the summer. It was now the end of September.

The mother walked over to the cake display, when she spotted her daughter running over there as soon as the café owner put her back down on the floor.

“Good afternoon Donghae. We landed back in Korea the week before last. Sorry I got busy with work as soon as I came back, so I didn’t have the time to stop by earlier.” Jungsoo answered the younger. The older man had been Donghae´s department senior during University. The older had been great support to the junior during school and even after the brunet had left it. Never judging his decision in quitting.

When Donghae had made up his mind in taking over the parenting roll for Minsoo he had, with in a week, filed in all the paper required for custody, leave for the University and an apartment contract. Even though the new living-quarters were- for a lack of better word- . With the help of his parents, Jungsoo and the nice lady owning the café he had been working in during school he manage to do just fine. The following week the new father started working at the library/café full-time. Taking Minsoo with him when needed.

Now, eleven years later, Donghae had fully taken over the business when the original boss opened her new place. On the other side of town.

After finishing his studies Jungsoo had gotten a profession in a well know company. Situated in the high-up part of the city. When he had met the love of his life (now his wife) he had introduced the two in a heartbeat. They had all gotten along well. When the couple moved in together they begged Donghae to let them take care of Minsoo once a week.

A year later and they had gotten married. The following year their daughter was born.

Due to the fact that the coffee shop where mostly empty Donghae sat down with the little family. The little girl situated in his lap. The adult drank café au latte and the little one had a large piece of red velvet cake in front of her.

“How are you doing Hae? Business doing well? And how is our Soo?”

“I´m doing good Noona. The shop is always busy- despite how it may look right now. Minsoo´s great. Always full of energy, making himself occupied with friends and school. How was the trip back home?”

The woman smiled towards the man she considered a little brother. Telling him about the vacation to her family and childhood city. Asking more question about the boy that wasn’t there at the moment.

As the afternoon proceeded the older male wondered about the same thing he always did. “So how´s your love-life? Have you finally met someone to settle down with?” He turned sideways to get an agreeing nod and raised eyebrow for his partner.

Donghae let out a sigh. Giving the same answer as usually. “No. I´m not really looking for anyone right now as you may know.”

“But don’t you want to find someone to spend the rest of your life with? Minsoo´s not going to be around forever Hae. Soon he will move out to start collage.”

“I know. But every time I start dating someone and I feel like it´s going well enough for them to meet Soo they run away. Finding out that I have a child scare every single one away. They don’t even stay to hear that he is not my biological son.”

The pair give each other sad glances, at a loss at what to say back. They end up asking if he´s ever thought about dating other single parents. Getting a no in reply.

Settling down with another parent ends up with more kids than just Minsoo. Not that Donghae´s got a problem with children, but due to the fact that the boy is already fourteen, makes the idea of adding new smaller once the brunet uncomfortable. His son wouldn’t enjoy having younger siblings at his age.

The senior tries again, not wanting to give up. “I know it can be frustrating and maybe even difficult. But don’t you think it will be all worth it in the long run? Donghae you haven’t dated anyone for a longer period for the past five years.”

 

The male knows that. Five years ago, the family of two moved into their new apartment. And during it all, meeting Hyukjae for the first time. Donghae sometimes wondered if that may have anything to do with all the short-term relationships.

 

Hyukjae had welcomed them with open arms, literally. They had bumped in with each other by the complex´s entrance. Walking (tripping) right into the other man´s embrace. Seeing as it was only the father and a young boy carrying all the boxes to the new home, the older offered to help. Not feeling like doing it all alone (Minsoo wasn’t much help) the brunet kindly agreed to the offer. Hours later all their belongings had been placed inside the living room. Three tired people sat in the sofa group sitting in the room.

The new neighbor had decided that the best thing to do after all the hard work was to lazy in the sofa and order pizza. When the food finally arrived, they realized that all the utensils were in one of the many boxes, in which one no one knew.

The oldest man made the decision that the trio shall go across the hallway and have their dinner at his place. Where there were a fully furniture house and of course kitchen belongings with easy access. The rest of the evening they watched variety shows on the television and gulping down pizza slices.

As the weeks went by after the move Hyukjae showed up in their lives from time to time. Learning bits and pieces of the other´s life. He was born half a year earlier than Donghae (still the same year), he lived by himself- with his family fairly close and shared a company with his two closest (super rich, they paid for the founding and the redhead dealt with contacts) friends. It had been one and a half month until the first big shift happened. Donghae had to meet up with a director that where supposed to have a company dinner at the café the next month. As he stood by the coffee machine waiting for it to drop through, he heard a loud signal from his apron pocket. When the café owner realized it happened to be his phone he pulled it up and answered the call.

It was Hansol´s father calling to inform Donghae that his son had caught a cold and had a high fever. Not wanting their own children to also catch it they asked if the brunet could come and take Minsoo home.

Donghae looked around the shop and as he turned his view to the full window showing the street outside the man saw his visitors arriving. In a panic the father did the only thing he could think of in the heat of the moment. Since his parents lived in another town- and would take a few hours to get here and Jungsoo had his own little child that easily could get the cold. Donghae had one final option.

He assured that Minsoo would get picked up within twenty minutes. With that they both hung up. Hastily the brunet searched his phonebook, finding a newly added number and dialed it. Hoping with his whole being that the other would pick up and was at home or close by.

The signal got caught of and a voice could be heard on the other side.

“Hello? Donghae is that you?”

“Yes! Sorry to disturb you Hyukjae but if you are at home and not busy could you help me with something?” The father probed with worry rising in him.

“Yeah, of course. What´s going on, is everything okay?”

There is worry in the other´s voice as well. Making Donghae calmer in some odd way.

The man described the situation. About his meeting and Minsoo´s sudden fever. By some miracle the neighbor agrees to go over to the child´s friend´s house and get him. Make him eat something, drink, take pills and then sleep.

Re-assured that Hyukjae got everything under control, Donghae bid goodbye and promised to get home as soon as possible.

After that Donghae realized that he had someone close by that he could rely on, whether it was something minor like double checking if the door really closed when the family left home in a hurry- or when something happened to Minsoo. Whenever Hyukjae could, which was nine times out of ten, he was always there for them.

So, why would the single father need a lover when he had someone like Hyukjae. And if Donghae were to be honest with himself, he wouldn’t mind having the latter as something more than just a neighbor and friend.

 

“Maybe I just haven’t met ´the one´ yet. If- I mean when I do it will all work out.”

The wed couple in front of him gave him smiles, but neither of them reached their eyes. “Hae, are you sure you will be willing to give that special someone a chance? I feel like there is a risk that you will look the other way and convince yourself that the time isn’t right or something in those lines.” The female said to the younger male.

“Maybe. I don’t know. Even if I get the feeling that it is right that doesn’t mean that the other will feel the same way. What if he just sees me as a friend or something? What am I supposed to do then?” When the words left his mouth, the man realized that he had said a little too much. And judging by the new awoken shine in the other two adults’ eyes he knew that he was right.

“Oh my! Why didn’t you tell us earlier about this mystery person that has already stolen your heart?! Tell us more about Him.”

Embarrassment started to crawl all over the brunet. He should really learn how to keep his mouth shut. “There´s nothing to tell about him. He´s just someone really kind, funny, beautiful- inside out- and out of my reach.”

Before the other two could question further the bell rang, making it easy for the owner to escape from the table.

 

The rest of the week flew by quickly. Donghae worked at the café when needed, met up with a new soda company that wanted his café to sell their drinks and spent time with Minsoo during the dinners. During the weekend the two drove south to visit the grandparents.

 

When Monday came around once again the single father walked home from the grocery store, bags in hand. It had gotten colder as October was around the corner, bringing autumn with it. Outside the apartment complex stood a smiling Hyukjae, clad in fitting black jeans, a shirt in white with a black over-sized blazer over it. He wore black dress shoes. And looked as good as always. Be it sweats or jeans.

Next to the man stood another one. The other had brown hair, dark blue jeans and a gray knitted cardigan. He was taller than the red head and had a more serious expression on his face. Beside a white car, parked on the street in front of them, leaned a pretty lady dressed in a red dress and matching high heels.

The woman reached forward and the shorter male´s cheek, patting it softly before taking back her hand.

A wave of something ugly washed over Donghae and the week seamed like it most probably will turn out into a bad one. He should just stay in bed until it´s over.

Realizing that he had stopped in the middle of the street, the brunet came to his senses and took up the task again. If he moved fast enough the small group won´t spot him, right? He won´t have to stop and talk with them. If he knew himself well enough he would probably manage to say something he shouldn’t. Letting his jealousy towards the woman who could casually touch Hyukjae shine through.

He took big strides in the direction of the front door, trying to blend in with the background. Halfway there and the trio caught his attention again. Now that Donghae got a closer look at the taller individual he recognized him. After five years of living close to the redhead he had also seen his friend.

In the beginning the single father had thought that the other brunet was his neighbor´s boyfriend or lover. The latter came by every few days, staying for some hours and then going back to his own place. It took Donghae close to a year to learn that the two males where friends and also co-workers. Having their own company together with another friend of theirs that was filthy rich. It was Minsoo telling his father the truth after spending a day over at the man living across from them. He had then met the tall man, `His name is Kyuhyun´ Minsoo told Donghae that same evening.

Now the well dressed, pretty lady Donghae had no idea about. Prior to this day he didn’t even know she existed. But in the back of his head the brunet felt that her face was familiar.

  1. as he was about to slip by the small group he heard his name being called. Even with his eyes closed Donghae could identify that voice. Hyukjae was calling is name.

Taking a deep breath, the man turned around, putting a smile on his face. Greeting the crimson haired man and his companions. “Good afternoon, Hyukjae.”

“Hello Hae. Great timing. Have you just finished work? I´d like you to meet Kyuhyun. He´s one of my closest friends and my game developing buddy. This over-dressed girl who´s trying way to hard is my older sister. Sora- noona came by to nag on behalf of our dear mother.” The man introduced the two strangers to Donghae, laughing even when his sister hit him on the top of his head.

Donghae gave them both a slight wave as a greeting. Getting waves all the same back.

Hyukjae didn’t let the lack of words stop him in the least. “Guys this is Donghae. He lives across the hallway from me with his son Minsoo. Soo is crazy about games and he´s always my go to guinea pig for new projects. Hae´s also the owner of the cozy and popular library/café not far from here.”

At that the other two turned toward each other with raised eyebrows, seemingly having a little conversation between one another. With their eyes.

“Nice to finally meet you. My brother has talked about you and your son a lot. Hahaha, only good things so no need to worry.”

“Ahh, I see. Nice to meet both of you. I should be going so you can continue your earlier conversation. I have a kid to feed. Teenagers need more food than you´d think.” Donghae bowed his head down as a goodbye and then made his way to the doorway.

Behind him he heard Hyukjae say something quickly, getting yells in return. Eight seconds later one of the bags in his hand got snatched away. When he looked to his right side he got greeted by a gummy smile next to him. The younger returned the bright beam. Carrying the groceries to the elevator, making their way to their floor.

Well outside their homes Donghae took back the carrier the other man had helped with. He put in the password and opened the front door. Well opened the father called out to his son that he was back home and asked if the younger could come help him with the newly bought food.

Minsoo walked from his bedroom to the hall and greeted both the males that stood in the opening, smiling at each other. At first, he was surprised that the neighbor was standing by the door, but he decided to just roll with it and not ask any questions.

They said goodbye to Hyukjae ten minutes later and moved inwards the apartment. Going over to the kitchen to sort in all the things and start making tonight´s dinner.

When the two had settled down by the table, food on their plates and hunger in their stomachs Donghae remember the talk he had with Jungsoo and his wife the week before. Thinking about if he should ask Minsoo what his thoughts in the matter.

“Soo, I met Jungsoo a few days ago. He brought up the never-ending topic about me starting to date again. What do you think about it?”

The teenager looked up from his plate, missing half it´s content already. “What do you mean? Do you even have someone that you want to date, dad?”

It was an unexpected answer. The father had thought that the kid would just scrunch up his nose, say `ewww` and tell him that he didn’t care about his dad´s love-life. What he really got as a response took him by surprise. “To be honest, I don’t know. I know I should start looking for someone, while I still look young and attractive. But…” Donghae didn’t know how to finish his sentence.

“Dad, I know that the once you´ve dated before when I was a kid dumped you when they got to know about me. And I should feel bad about it, but I don’t. We´re a packaged deal. Never one without the other! Right?”

At his son´s words Donghae started to cry. He didn’t know that the younger knew about his stupid exes. And he felt extremely happy and proud to call Minsoo his son now, more than ever after what the boy just had said.

“Never one without the other!”

They continued to eat their meal in silence. Until the boy had a thought he needed to share with his parent. “You know who you should be with?! Hyuk-hyung. He doesn’t mind me. He even takes care of me sometimes, ever since we moved in. And he´s kind, funny, rich. And most important you have a thing for him dad. Try to deny it all you want.”

Damn that boy was good at making the older speechless. How did he notice all these things?

Deciding that it was no use in lying, the adult made his decision to acknowledge it instead. “How did you figure that out? Have I been that oblivious?”

Minsoo started laughing, drying small tears away that had slipped out. “Dad, I say this with kindness. Yes, you are like an open book. But thankfully for you Hyukjae-hyung isn’t that bright when it comes to reading peoples feelings. At least according to Kyuhyun-hyung. If you wanna be with him I´m all for it, thou. You have my blessing dad.”

 

Friday rolled around and Donghae was stuck at the café until closing again. Jiyun had asked if she could take the day of, apparently, she was behind in school work and had to catch up. The last day of the `working week` she usually didn’t have any classes, so she worked till closing. This time the owner stayed behind with Sungho until the last customer left the building and it was okay to lock up.

Bidding his employee goodnight and thanking him for his hard work, the owner walked the other direction. Making his way home quickly.

After putting away his messenger bag inside his bedroom, Donghae went to knock on the door next to his. The wood sound echoed through the apartment. The man waited patiently for any sound of acknowledgment but ended up with non.

Without having to think twice the father knew exactly where to find the `missing´ son.

Within five seconds Donghae had walked out of his apartment and made it to the one opposite. There he tried his luck once more. Knowing he would end up victorious. Through the entrance footsteps were heard and a moment later the door swung open.

In front of the brunet stood a rumbled up Hyukjae. He was dressed in light grey pajama pants, and a printed white shirt. His red color had started to fade, turning the hair back to black. It looked as if he (or someone else) had been pulling the strands, some of them slicked against the elder’s forehead. Maybe Minsoo wasn’t here, if to judge from Hyukjae´s looks.

“Oh, Donghae! I´m guessing you´re looking for Soo. Come on in, he´s beating me in Mario Kart. But if anyone asks I´m totally letting him beat me, hehehe.” With that said the taller one moved inwards of his home, gesturing for the younger to do the same as him.

Donghae followed the other male inside. Well inside the place you could hear loud sounds from the video game the two had been in the midst of playing.

“Hyuk-hyung, who was by the door?” Minsoo´s voice could be heard questioning from his seat on the floor, placed strategically before the screen.

The father took a seat in the sofa, behind where the teenager was placed on the floor, when the resident motioned for him to get comfortable. It seemed like the other two had no plans to finish the race any time soon. Hyukjae took the seat next to him on the couch in the elder´s living room.

When the son saw his father´s reflection in the corner of his eye, the boy faced him. “Hey dad! You´re back from work already. I thought you finished at six today.”

“Already?! Minsoo, I closed the café today. Which means that I quit at seven. It´s now twenty minutes to eight in the evening.” What Donghae got as a response surprised him (not really). The other two where looking at him as if he just told a joke that wasn’t appropriate. They then turned to look at each other, still with similar expressions.

Donghae got a feeling that he knew the reason behind their behavior. “Neither of you have had any dinner yet, am I right?”

Hyukjae and Minsoo shook their heads, saying that; no, they have not eaten anything.

Sighing Donghae shook his head as well. What was he gonna do with the duo?

“Do you want to have Chinese take-out?”

At the proposal their faces lit up like children during Christmas. Shaking his head once again excusing himself from the room to call the pizzeria. They had had take-outs enough time together that the father knew both their orders by heart.

When the girl on the other end of the phone had verified his order the two parties hung up with the promise of the food arriving within half an hour.

Well inside the living room Donghae saw his son and friend (and neighbor) having another match against one another. Not wanting to disturb them he walked as quietly as possible. When he had managed that he sat down on the sofa again. Observing how well they all fit together. As if this was the most normal way to spend an evening. And if the male were to be completely honest, for the three of them this truly were normal after all these years.

Donghae wished this could be something permanent in the future as well.

Twenty-eight minutes later and the doorbell rang. Even though the brunet didn’t live in the apartment he figured that him answering the door would make them get the food faster. And not having to let the poor delivery man wait until the round was over.

He reached the entrance a few seconds later, greeting the young adult standing before him. He took the cartons holding the goods. But when he went for his pocket, trying to take out his wallet he realized that it was left in his own house.

Before he had the chance to apologize and go to retrieve it across the hallway, a pale, slender hand showed up from inside the entrance way. He turned slightly to his right, being greeted by a close by Hyukjae. The other man handed over a few notes, telling the delivery boy to keep the change.

A minute later and the boy had walked back to the elevator. Thanking the generous man all the way back to the lift. When the doors closed in front of the young adult, Hyukjae pushed his own door shut.

The shorter man took two steps back inside the apartment when a dark brown picture frame caught his eyes. He turned his whole body to face the wall in the entryway. The photo was taken the first day Donghae and Minsoo moved in. He remembered when it was taken. The trio had just finished bringing up another load of things to their new home. One more trip and they would be done, when their newly made friend came up with the idea of taking a picture. `To remember this special day by`, the man had explained.

Four frames further into the house Donghae spotted another one he recognized. This one was taken on the day Minsoo graduated Elementary school. The boy had begged his father to let their amazing and cool neighbor join them to school. The then twelve-year-old had yet to show Hyukjae off to Hansol and Toya. The little brunet couldn’t be prouder of being so close to a game developer. None the less, the best out there. Being the soft dad that he is Donghae had agreed to the idea. But only if Hyukjae wanted and had the time for it. Which he of course had the time and will to do.

They where all standing next to each other. Minsoo in the middle and with bouquets of different flowers in his arms. All three of them had grins on their faces and the photo looked really pretty. Almost a bit to good for Donghae´s heartrate.

When the adults reached the sofa table the brunet put down the boxes for the two to eat. While they had been by the door, Minsoo had apparently gone to the kitchen and fetched glasses, drinks and napkins. Not deeming plates and utensils a necessity, chopsticks usually came with the order.

While the two ate their well needed nourishment Donghae looked around the living room. He had been in the apartment countless of times during the years. And vice-verse. Something he hadn’t registered before thou were all the photos that where placed all around the place. Hanging on the walls and standing on shelves. Most of all he noticed that a big number of them had him and his son in them. Showing how they were doing things together with the older man. Going to parks and winter markets, visiting the aquarium and simply spending times with one another. There where even a picture of Hyukjae sitting by his dining table last April, a homemade strawberry, chocolate and vanilla cake placed on the table. Minsoo where standing next to him and they both smiled like little kids.

Donghae went to sit in the sofa once more. His son had gone to the toilet to wash the grease off his hands before he took a hold of the control again.

Trying to break the silence (that most definitely only him himself felt existing) Donghae said the first thing that came to mind. “Hahaha, with all these photos around of us others will think that you have a family. Won´t look good to the once that wants to date you.”

Hyukjae looked around the apartment before his eyes landed on the man next to him. His cheeks were tinted a light pink. “Wow! My mom and sister say the same thing all the time too. Guess I´ll just have to make it the truth then. So that no one will feel the need to ask about it anymore. Right?! I really wouldn’t mind that the least. Just so you know.”

At a loss of words and not knowing how or with what to respond he did what he did best (since he was a child) when these things occurred. He panicked and ran away. Yelling out to his son that he went back, and he could come home whenever.

Not sparing the third man left in the living room a second glance.

Donghae looked at the watch standing on his bedside table when the front door opened. The numbers showed 01.36 am.

 

The weekend and following week consisted of Donghae avoiding his neighbor as much as possible. When he had gotten back to the apartment, fixed himself for the night the brunet had spent his time lying in bed. Starring at the white, empty ceiling. He thought over what the other male had said about making the rumor about having a family into reality. Around the time that his son got back home the father realized that Hyukjae had meant them being a family. As in Donghae, Minsoo and Hyukjae.

Don’t get him wrong. He also wanted that to be true. More than anything. But now that it seamed so close and within reach the man freaked out. Why? He had no idea.

Just as the fourteen-year-old had said some time before, Hyukjae was perfect for Donghae. For both of them. He was really kind, funny, caring and didn’t mind him having a child. He even appreciated it, it seemed. He let the boy come by whenever, spent time with him when he could and if needed he watched over Minsoo without batting an eye.

So, what stupid reason did the café owner have to ignore all that could be? None what so ever. He was just a coward. What if Hyukjae changed his mind about Minsoo later. Or stopped having feelings for Donghae.

Wait! Hyukjae never said that there were any feelings involved. Maybe he meant it all as in that he would like his own family. Not being a part of theirs.

Donghae didn’t even know when he fell for the beautiful man across the hall. It hadn’t happened at first sight, that he was sure of. Even if he thought the man was- for lack of better words- ´out of this world` he didn’t have the time to think any more of the man. He had just become the library/café owner, moved into a new place and was a full-time solo father.

But when it all had settled down and became routine, falling wasn’t all that difficult anymore. Talking to Hyukjae and spending time with the latter made Donghae feel at peace and content. A combination of feeling he haven’t had for years. He didn’t need to be someone that had it all figured out and put together. The other man knew that that wasn’t the younger male´s life. He had seen him at his lowest and worst. Times when Minsoo had fallen ill and Donghae felt like the worst father in the world. (Hyukjae had to reassure him that that was far for reality).

Or that time when all the orders at the café had gotten messed up and the owner was pacing around and yelling in the phone to the delivery people. Loud enough for the other man to hear inside his own house. Said man had knocked on the door and when the youngest of them all opened the door for him (the father not hearing anything over his own voice), gotten inside the kitchen where the latter was standing at that moment. Taken the cell phone and asked what the problem was. When Donghae had explained well enough for the other to understand he had brought the device to his ear and calmly described the problem at hand. Forty minutes later (the people on the other line wasn’t the brightest once of the human population), Hyukjae hung up the call and told the café owner that it was all taken care of. They had promised to deliver the right groceries the following morning, take back the failed delivery, no expenses where to befall Donghae. It was their blunder- not his.

Times similar to those happen from time to time through the course of five years. And every time the young father felt like the universe was working against him, Hyukjae somehow always came to his aid. In one way or another. A few times Donghae had been clue less what to do when the café´s webpage stopped working. During one of those times the owner had resulted in taking any kind of action by contacting his neighbor. In a distressed state, the brunet texted the older male. Who in turn was in Hong Kong for work. Donghae contacted him asking what to do, since his tech-person was on vacation (of course).

He hadn’t expected to get a response for at least a few hours (even though the time difference wasn’t much, the man with the then auburn colored hair should be busy overseas). But four minutes later his ring signal was heard and when he picked it up Hyukjae was on the other side. Wondering what he could do to help the younger one out. Saying he had time while supposedly changing for a dinner with the company they went over the pond to deal with.

Hyukjae made it really easy to fall for him.

 

Another week passed by. Minsoo spend most of his time at school or hanging out with Hansol and Toya. Often at either of the other boys´ houses. Minsoo had said to his father that seeing him so ´weird and all´ made him uncomfortable. The fourteen-year-old wasn’t able to spend time with his idol across the hallway. Apparently, the older male was out of the country dealing with a business deal. Was it the UK or the US? Donghae didn’t know.

When October begun Donghae was feeling just as depressed as the weather outside. The lovely autumn days that he enjoyed so much was nowhere to be seen. The only thing that you could see where brown soggy leaves on the streets and rain falling like bullets from the sky. The brunet had always adored and appreciated the rain but this time it only made him even more down than he was. Not seeing or talking to Hyukjae hurt his delicate heart too much.

The week ended and with it Donghae decided to grab the bull by the horns. To take action. Not knowing whether this would crash and burn, his heart and courage with it. But he had to know what the other had meant when he said he wanted to make the rumors true. The statements about them looking like a family. Donghae, Minsoo and Hyukjae, a family.

Minsoo was at Toya´s place for the evening, promising to come home before eleven or text his father if he decided to stay the night. Which made Donghae alone for the night. He had been cooking Korean meat stew, he had the day off and needed to distract his thoughts. What better way was there than to cook food for hours?

Half a day later and the dish was done. But when he put down the pot in the middle of the round dining table he heard the sound of wheels rolling in the hall outside the apartment. It had to be Hyukjae coming back home from the airport. Donghae stole a glance of the clock hanging on the kitchen wall, it read twenty-seven minutes past six.

Now´s your chance to talk to him, or at least seen the man!

Nodding to himself, the brown-haired man strode over to his front door. He pushed it open and was face to… door. The red-haired neighbor had already closed the door. But that was not going to stop Donghae! He had to do something right at this moment. Now!

He reached his fist forward, knocking a bit too loudly than necessary. He then took a small step back, prepared to chicken out and run away. Seconds later the door swung open anew.

The look on Hyukjae´s face showed surprise that later transformed into happiness.

“Fancy seeing you here.” Hyukjae sounded way to energized for someone who had been abroad for over a week and had just landed on homeland grounds. Flying form Europe or America (he still didn’t know).

“H-hey you. I heard you coming back from the airport. I figured that you must be hungry after the flight and thought to invite you. You don’t have to. On second thoughts you must be exhausted from all the traveling. We can do it another time. Okay, goodnight and sleep tight.” Feeling his courage slip away, he resulted in becoming a stuttering-rigmarole mess. Donghae bowed to the older and turned around, making his way back. Behind him he heard muffle snickering, and then his door clicking shut.

Donghae pulled himself further into the apartment. Not feeling like eating anything anymore.

Ten minutes went by with the brunet laying in his sofa, face down. Then a normal pitched knock resounded through the living quarters. Sighing, Donghae made his way to the entrance, slowly opening the entry. Standing before him was a newly showered, re-dressed Hyukjae. Looking as fine as always. Especially with water droplets running down the side of his face and white neck.

Hyukjae smiled his gummy-smile and scratched the back of his neck, a light pink dusted over his cheeks and the top of his ears. “I would love to eat dinner with you two. I just had to freshen up before, since I slept for most of the flight back from London.” There was a silence, the two men only looking at each other. “If the offer still stands I guess.”

Donghae managed to snap out of his mind-cage and focus back to the person before him and what he had said. “Uhm, yeah! Of course, the offer still stands. Come on in.” He moved to backwards inside and motioned for his neighbor to follow.

They walked to the kitchen and the resident went to take out an additional set of cutleries for his dinner guest.

Feeling the other´s gaze from behind the younger male cleared his throat, opened his mouth and explained that it was only them for the night. His face heating up at the toothless smile he got directed in his path.

As they sat down by the table Donghae felt weirdly at peace. He looked out the window from where they sat. The sky had a heave blue-gray hue, raindrops washed down the glass and for the first time since October begun he found himself happy to see the water cleansing the earth.

Hyukjae took off the lid keeping the pot´s content warm. He peered inside and smiled even brighter than before. Telling the chef how much he had missed Korean food while in Europe. Donghae smiled back at the comment and gave the other the ladle so he could start taking of the dish.

While they ate the two spoke with each other like they usually did. Joking, complaining about things that had happened and asking about the other´s life. Donghae told him about how calm the café had been the last weeks. Mostly due to the fact that people wanted to go directly home in the rain and not linger around in town. But when the snow comes, and Christmas will arrive the shop will get busy again, so the owner welcomed the slow period.

The red/black-haired man shared about his time in London. How the clients had liked their video game idea and signed the contract in the first few days. They went sightseeing and got to visit different other game developers. As well as some new potential investors and clients. All in all, the trip was a success, but in the end Hyukjae was happy that he didn’t have to go there the next time it was time for a visit. He preferred staying behind at the computer in the end.

As the dinner got to and end Donghae still hadn’t managed to ask his pressing question. And he had to move quickly unless he wanted the other to call it a night and go back to his place.

“Do you want to move over to the living room? I think I have a bottle of red wine here somewhere that we can share. Let´s toast for a job well done and that you are finally back home again.”

He received a nod as a sign of agreement and they made their way over to the living room. Donghae carrying a nice bottle of wine and an opener, Hyukjae walking behind with two high bowled wine glasses.

They settled down and after opening the flask, poured the red liquid halfway inside the glasses and leaned against the sofa. They had turned slightly towards the other, making it easier to steal glance and maintain eye-contact.

The conversations still flowing, and as the flask lost it´s content the topic shifted over to memories they shared over the years. This was the perfect time to bring up his pressing question.

“I´ve been wondering something Hyukjae. Last time Soo and I came over, you know when I bought you take-out since neither of you had had dinner until then. You said something about wanting to make everyone´s thought about us looking like a family into reality. Or something like that.”

The older nodded in response.

“Did… Did you mean it as in the three of us as a family or wanting a family in general?”

Hyukjae seamed slightly taken aback for a friction of a second. The expression then melted into a fond and gleaming one. He turned his whole body, so he now had his full attention towards Donghae. His hand reached out and ran lightly over the brunet´s. Hyukjae started playing with the digits, pulling on them slightly and then spreading them. Ending the demonstration with slipping his own in between the younger´s, intertwining them.

“What would you say and do if I told you I meant it in the first way. Not only because I like spending time with the two of you and would like to have my own family. But mostly because I´m mad about you. Probable have been for years.” Hyukjae smiled shyly and pulled on their hands slightly. He let out a small laugh and shook his head. Adding; “My sister and Kyuhyun won´t stop pointing it out. It´s just gotten worst since that time that the three of you met.”

Donghae got taken aback to say the least. Hyukjae was `mad about him`. They felt the same way about each other. Never in a million years had he thought that that would be the case.

The brunet shifted so the two of them were fully facing the man in front of them. He squeezed the neighbor´s hand which was lazed with his own. “I might feel the same way about you. Well, not might. I am crazily in love with you.”

He received a huge grin in reply and the two-colored haired man tugged him closer by their hands. Donghae continued his speech. “I have dated people in the past and got dumped because of it so I just want to make it clear now. If you have a problem with it you can leave at once, before it gets too serious.”

Hyukjae raised one eyebrow and nodded in comprehension. Ready to hear the important thing that had scared away others before him.

The brunet smiled mischievously and said, with a giggle ready to leave his throat. “It may shock you but hear me out. I have a son. He´s actually my nephew but his parents passed away when he was three and I took over child support. Soooo…...?!”

A millisecond went by until Hyukjae started cracking up. Laughing highly and full of glee.

Instead of answering him verbally Hyukjae pulled Donghae forward. Softly pressing their lips against each other. They both smiled into the kiss. One hand ran through his brown locks minutes later and Donghae sighed into the sensation. It was more than he could have ever dreamed of (which happened every once in a while, if he were to be honest).

Their lips brushed against one another for some time until Donghae had had enough and pulled the other as close as possible. It resulted in him falling backwards, laying on top of the sofa cushions, with the other hovering over him. As they had to break apart for air they ended up starring in to pairs of brown orbs.

Hyukjae brushed their noses slightly together, making them both giggling.

“I don’t mind you having a son. I think it´s remarkable and beautiful of you to take care of your deceased brother´s child. It makes you even more lovable.”

Donghae smiled brightly and pulled the other in for another make-out session.

 

Hyukjae had managed to put his hand underneath the younger man´s shirt, brushing his finger pads across the café owner´s stomach. They where kissing deeply, making their mouths bright red and swollen.

The pair were so into it, it their own little world that they missed the sound of the front door of the apartment clicking shut.

“Dad, this is why you have your own bedroom. So, you don’t have to taint the sofa where I also sit sometimes. Hello Hyuk-hyung! Seams like you both have agreed on going out.”

The two adults sat up straight in a second. Looking over to the living room opening where they saw a grinning Minsoo, lifting his eyebrows at the scene before him.

“Well, Hyukjae makes it really easy to love him. What can I do?”