[1]

Of Weird Candies And Bizarre Events

It was early summer in the morning where the streets are crowded; people were walking hastily and phones stuck in their ears as they answer some important calls. 

 

Amidst the busy crowd, there was one person—or a child—who was walking absentmindedly in some part of the streets but the people paid no heed to the child as they thought the child was a nuisance; she was constantly blocking on their way.

 

‘What’s wrong with these people? Can’t they see that I was also in a rush here?’ Joohyun tried to get past these busy people who were crowding in the particular spot. Unfortunately, her spot happens to be the bus stop. Joohyun was almost dragged inside between the sea of people entering the bus when the bus had finally arrived at the stop and luckily, she was able to get out of the bus before it went its way to its destination.

 

‘That was freaking close,’ Joohyun heavily sighed in relief.

 

It was way past eight in the morning but Joohyun was exceptionally tired for the day. She sat along on one of the benches of the park after several minutes of walking. She closed her eyes as she inhaled deeply.

 

At this point of Joohyun’s life, she doesn’t know what to do next. Her only mission for today is to find her friend’s girlfriend but it seems that she messed it up. She fluttered her eyes open and she stared at the trees surrounding the park absentmindedly. She let the warmth of the sun seep through her body.

 

At a distance, some people were staring at the cute child sitting on a bench. The child would occasionally close her eyes then shows an adorable smile afterward. They found it endearing but they also wondered, ‘What was the child doing here at the park without her parents?’

 

 

 

Joohyun was back to the streets later; casually strolling around while clutching her wallet with zero digits inside. She’s been frugal ever since she got a job but today was different; she had to spend money on some clothes or else, she’ll go walking around the city.

 

Her mind was clouded with confusing plans but first of all, she should go the address of her friend's girlfriend. She was the only person who could help with her situation now.

 

 

 

She initially planned to ride a cab but her wallet has zero digits considering that she had bought clothes with her size earlier at the mall, although the saleslady and the cashier look at her incredulously earlier.

 

In the end, Joohyun chose to walk her way to the address that was written on a piece of paper she held by her tiny hand.

 

Unfortunately, her phone was snatched before this weird situation happened. She could have called her friend's girlfriend and let her fetch Joohyun at her apartment but luck was never on her side these days.

 

About this weird situation she said earlier, here’s the tea—

 

Earlier in the morning, Joohyun woke up with a different feeling; she felt lighter as ever. As she was about to stand up from the bed, she saw that her bed was too high from the floor unlike before. She panicked for a few minutes, she was incredibly shocked when she saw herself in the whole-body sized mirror as she realized that her body shrank smaller like a child.

 

‘WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY Y BODY?!’

 

 

 

 

Joohyun thought hard of some realistic possibilities about her weird situation now but no matter how hard she racked her brain for some possible explanations, she couldn’t pinpoint the whole cause of this.

 

“The only thing I’m freaking sure of was I’m not dreaming—and I’m not hallucinating either. I didn’t take drugs in my whole twenty-seven years of existence and—“ she stopped rambling when she remembered something. She contemplated for a while before she widened her eyes in realization,

 

“Could it be from the weird candy I ate yesterday?!” Joohyun exclaimed. Her knees became wobbly as the memory suddenly crossed her mind.

 

“That must be it, it was that candy from that old creepy man I encountered yesterday—" she suddenly felt the Goosebumps around her skin. Joohyun’s complexion suddenly became pale. She knew at that moment that she was doomed.

 

“Oh God, he’s not lying about that weird candy’s magic…”

 

 

Joohyun was so immersed in her thoughts by enumerating the misfortunes she experienced in her life so far when she absentmindedly loosened her hold on the paper; accidentally letting it slip between her fingers. Joohyun was too late to notice this when she saw the paper flew past her eyes as the wind gradually increase its speed, letting the paper flew across the highway. She helplessly watched the paper being blown by the strong wind together with the truck that happens to pass by the highway.

 

'Oh good Lord...' Joohyun was on a verge of tears when she couldn't track where that freaking paper is. It was her only chance of salvation and that unlucky moment happened so fast in a blink of an eye.

 

Joohyun was depressed as she walked the streets with gloomy mood. Heck, she didn't even memorize the address as she was feeling confident that the address was written on the paper—not thinking about the unfortunate situations that could possibly happen.

 

She decided to go home as she had no idea where to go next. Maybe she'll just wait for the arrival of a friend from overseas to visit her at her apartment. It was only a matter of days before she goes back to their city.

 

It was quarter past eight in the evening and Joohyun was still walking out on the streets. Her knees were on the verge of giving up so she sat on the nearest bench which was also near a parking lot of some convenience store.

 

Joohyun was about to decide to spend the night sleeping at some benches because truth be told, she wasn't even halfway to her apartment from where she is now. She realized that she had walked a lot since this morning and all Joohyun wanted was to go home to eat some foods and take her much desired rest.

 

‘I shouldn’t have gone out of the apartment earlier—or better yet, I should have just returned home after I lost the address. Urgh why am I so stupid?!’

 

She was about to close her eyes in frustration when she heard a faint whistle not far away from where she was sitting. She took a glance around her when she spotted two tall lanky guys approaching her, their smug faces were enough for Joohyun to understand that these guys were up to no good.

 

Joohyun was about to get up from her seat and dash off from her place when her tiny hands were caught by the grip from one of the two guys.

 

She tried to free her hands from their grip but the more she tried to resist, the grip from her hands would only tighten. And also, her wrists right now were painted bloody red judging from the tightening grip.

 

When one of the lanky guys attempted to cover before she could scream for help, there was a shout loud enough for them to hear.

 

"What are you trying to do with that poor little girl? You should have taken a shower if you have nothing else better to do!"

 

The three of them turn their heads to where the voice came from, and it came from a girl—beautiful girl but apparently, she was fuming mad right now.

 

The two lanky guys were baffled at first and then they suddenly cracked a laugh.

 

"Who the are you? Mind 'ya own business, missy or d'you wanna join us for some fun, eh?" The lanky guys have the creepy grin in their face as they lazily approached the girl.

 

But the girl only snorted as a response while her eyes were throwing sharp glances at the lanky guys.

 

'What the hell is she doing? Does she know that she could be in trouble if—Oh she’s got guns in her arms,' Joohyun thought as she saw the girl flexing her arms while cracking her knuckles.

 

'She's hot,' Joohyun unconsciously swallowed her saliva at the mere sight of the girl. Realizing her own thoughts, she quickly shook her head in denial, 'She's just okay, fine, she's looking fine as all other girls.'

 

Then Joohyun realized that these lanky guys were a bit intimidated with the girl; their grip on her wrists gradually loosened, but not enough for her to escape from their hold.

 

"You know that we could beat 'ya , right? We're two and you're alone." One of the lanky guys said, his voice shaken a bit but he's trying to show some conviction in his words. But judging from the piercing looks of the girl, it looks like he failed somehow.

 

"You see, I'm not afraid of you guys because I'm a police—" The lanky guys didn't try to finish her sentence when they made a quick dash out from the place, instantly freeing Joohyun from the painful grip of those two thugs. If they could qualify as thugs, that is.

 

Joohyun's knees gave up from shock and tiredness so she let her knees fall from the ground. She tried to recover her breathing when she heard the girl said something, "—well at least my father, that is."

 

The girl quickly went to Joohyun, assisting her to stand up. The girl kneeled in one knee to the ground, leveling her gaze to Joohyun's.

 

"Are you alright, little child? Were you hurt?" The girl's voice seemed to intoxicate Joohyun's sense, her body couldn't function well and her mind was still baffled from all of these bizarre incidents.

 

When the girl noticed Joohyun was spacing out, she carefully inspected Joohyun's body, looking for any bruises.

 

"Oh my, look at your wrists! It’s painfully red, we'll get it treated. Where are your parents, by the way? Why are you alone outside?" The girl's sweet but alarming voice snapped Joohyun from her trance. She hastily thought of a reply,

 

"I-I'm lost...no p-parents..." Joohyun wanted to smack her own head right away. 'What kind of dumb answer was that, Joohyun?!'

 

The girl seemed to understand her because she only nodded as a reply, "In that case, we'll treat your bruises at my house. I live around the neighborhood, and it will be quick, I promise. You could go home after that. Do you happen to know your way home?" The girl inquired carefully, her voice was sweetly ringing in Joohyun's ears.

 

Joohyun only shakes her head as a response. She thought that if she would tell this girl the truth, she would not believe her. And if the girl would insist on accompanying her home which was located miles away which would stir some curiosity on the girl. So she chose the best option, she would lie that she's just lost around the girl's neighborhood.

 

Her rescuer only nodded but the worry in her eyes was evident.

 

She suddenly scooted Joohyun's body closer to hers and then she carefully lifted her from the ground, carrying Joohyun on her arms.

 

Joohyun could only blush at the situation. She's never been physically close with someone, not until today. Her heart was racing rapidly and she unconsciously buried her tiny head to the crook of her rescuer's head. Joohyun could feel the warmth from the girl's body seeping into her skin.

 

The girl could only smile at Joohyun's actions.

 

 

A little later, they arrived at the girl's apartment. She managed to fish the keys out of her pockets from one hand while carrying Joohyun in the other. The door finally unlocks and they both entered inside the apartment.

 

'It's cozy inside although it was just a tiny apartment,' Don't her wrong, Joohyun tried to praise the atmosphere inside though it wasn't a bit spacious. The essential appliances were enough to fit inside including some furniture. It was a studio type of apartment, Joohyun thought as she was settled on the couch.

 

She badly wanted to contact her friend but she knew that she was out of the country for a few days. And besides, she can't even remember the phone numbers of her parents and her friends, not to mention that her phone was snatched yesterday.

 

Her mind and body were pretty exhausted for the day and she was about to retire on the couch when she heard footsteps getting louder.

 

The girl came back with a medicine kit on hand and she settled on the couch beside Joohyun. She has also changed into comfortable clothes.

 

After Joohyun's bruises were tended, the girl got up from the couch and went to the kitchen. While waiting for her, Joohyun carefully touched the bruise from her wrist that was now covered with a bandage. She also couldn't shake the thought out of her head when the girl carefully touched her hand and how she softly cooed to Joohyun whenever she would carefully put an antiseptic to her wound. If gazes could melt someone, the girl would have melted earlier as Joohyun's attention was on the girl and not on her wounds.

 

The girl came back with a glass of water. She gave it to Joohyun and she wouldn't even realize that she was exceptionally thirsty, not until this moment.

 

"Are you okay, now? Do you need anything?" The girl gently inquires; her smile was enough for Joohyun to forget that she was holding a glass. The water almost spilled on her lap and luckily, the girl held the glass quickly to prevent the contents of it from spilling.

 

Joohyun quickly mouthed an apology but the girl only smiled at her as she shook her head.

 

"T-thank you,"

 

'Wait, how should I address her? I didn't even know her name!' Joohyun's mind went on shambles for quick seconds when the girl understood what she meant.

 

"You can call me Wendy-unnie," Wendy sported a megawatt worth of smile as she extended her hand to Joohyun.

 

"Thank you, Wendy-unnie. I'm Joohyun!" Her voice seemed to be enthusiastic for a child, like a little girl being excited to meet a new friend. She reached for Wendy's hand and shook it together.

 

'"You've got a really cute name, Joohyun." Joohyun blushes at the sudden compliment.

 

"Then I shall call you Hyun! Is that okay?" Joohyun unconsciously nodded her head, loving the way her name rolled on Wendy's lips. Her voice was unbelievably sweet and addicting to hear.

 

"Then it's settled," Wendy exclaimed while scooting Joohyun to her lap. She held both her cheeks as she lightly squeezed it, "You're so cute and adorable; I want to keep you in my pockets!" Though it was creepy to hear it from other people but to Wendy, she would gladly be inside the pockets for her to keep forever.

 

 

 

After their dinner, Joohyun tried to insist in an unbelievably cute voice that she wanted to stay for a few days in her apartment. Wendy was reluctant at first because she wanted to return Joohyun to her rightful parents but seeing the pouty but pleading face of the little child, she finally surrendered to Joohyun's whims.

 

"I have to return you to your parents sooner. They've might be painfully worried right now,"

 

"It's okay! They're not worried about me; trust me, Wendy-unnie." Joohyun wanted to add that she didn't live with her parents anymore but she kept shut.

 

Wendy didn't know how to react whether she would be worried about Joohyun's parents not caring if their daughter was lost or she would sigh in relief.

 

That late night even though Wendy wanted to tuck Joohyun to sleep, the latter insisted that it was too early to sleep at this hour, eight in the evening to be exact. Wendy was about to get her laptop for a movie marathon when Joohyun whined that she wanted to do something else. Wendy nodded, eventually plopping herself on the bed beside Joohyun.

 

They spend a good two hours on the bed talking anything under the sun. Wendy never thought Joohyun being a talkative child and Joohyun was actually surprised with herself. She's not someone who would try initiating a conversation but she opened up to Wendy very easily.

 

She found it strange at first but she realized that Wendy's comforting gaze and soothing voice made her comfortable. She unconsciously smiled at Wendy while squinting her eyes. Wendy then mirrored her smile as it reaches her eyes, forming crescents.

 

Joohyun found out that Wendy was now a twenty-four-year-old adult and she was employed at a nearby convenience store.

 

Wendy's been applying to various schools as her dream was to become a teacher someday. Joohyun half-expected that; she could tell that Wendy is a teacher material. And while Wendy was waiting for the school's confirmation of acceptance, she busied herself on the convenience store earning some cash for her daily expenses.

 

She also shared her sentiments that she kept on applying to may schools but none of them had notified her so far. She was nearly losing her faith and confidence but Wendy knew her time would come eventually. She'll just have to wait patiently to harvest the fruits of her labor.

 

Joohyun had admired Wendy for that positive thinking. The former would always wallow on negative and morbid thoughts and now she'd met Wendy, her outlooks of life suddenly became translucent; rays of sunshine pierced through the somber moods she's been experiencing until now.

 

Joohyun's story-telling was vague though. She didn't want to expose her real identity just yet.

 

"You're just five years old? You seemed to be mature at your age," Wendy said, her eyes focused on Joohyun.

 

Joohyun timidly nodded. She tried to avoid her eyes, fixing her gaze on the blanket that was situated at her lap. She couldn't just blurt out that she was a twenty-seven-year-old adult trapped in a child's body because she ate some candy. Maybe Wendy would just laugh it off considering that Joohyun might be just making an unbelievable story.

 

"So, you don't live with your parents anymore and you live with your relatives now. You also don't want to go back home for a while." Wendy sighed while staring at the little child beside her.

 

'Not to mention that she's so pretty and adorable,' Wendy giggled at the thought.

 

It was eleven past bedtime and Wendy finally tucked Joohyun to bed. When the latter has fallen asleep, Wendy runs her fingers through the dark locks of Joohyun's hair, softly humming to a lullaby tune. Wendy then follows to dreamland a little later.

 

 

 

 

Wendy works at 8 am to 8 pm shifts in the convenience store. So the next morning, she debated whether she would bring Joohyun to work or she would just leave Joohyun at her apartment. In the end, she let the latter choose which one she would prefer and Joohyun was comfortable staying home.

 

 

When Wendy leaves for work, Joohyun was all alone in the apartment. Luckily, Wendy had restocked the foods in her fridge so Joohyun can have some if she's hungry.

 

All throughout the day, Joohyun busied herself watching some Netflix movies on Wendy's laptop. She would occasionally roam around the apartment, casually scanning the things inside Wendy's home with her tiny feet.

 

She couldn't clean the apartment by herself because the broom and the vacuum were too heavy for her. Joohyun rendered herself useless as her tiny frame made it inconvenient for her to do household chores. So she decided to go back on the couch, resuming her movie marathon on the laptop.

 

When Wendy went home to her apartment at evening, she saw Joohyun lying comfortably on the couch, like a bunny snuggling on her nest.

 

Wendy went to the couch and she tucked the blanket properly on Joohyun's shoulders before she kissed Joohyun softly on the cheeks. Then she went to the kitchen to cook their dinner afterwards.

 

 

It was quite a fun dinner for the both of them. There was Wendy telling her day about her work; how she whined about some irritating costumers, boy costumers who were too shy on buying some condoms and Joohyun was surprised about selling condoms on a convenience store, and some customers trying to score a date with her.

 

Wendy giggled while telling how her day went and Joohyun listened attentively as she occasionally took a spoonful of food in .

 

Joohyun wasn't surprised by the long line of Wendy's suitors. The latter was too beautiful and charming. Even her captivating smile could light someone's world in an instant, including Joohyun's.

 

Joohyun was so immersed staring at the beautiful figure in front of her when Wendy held Joohyun's cheeks with worry in her eyes, "Is there something wrong, Hyun? Look at your face, you have rice crumbs around your mouth." Wendy deliberately brushed the crumbs off her face. It was then Joohyun snapped out of her trance. She quickly shakes off her head, dismissing that she was just star struck of the meal's taste. Wendy took that as a compliment as she smiled at her, stirring unfamiliar emotions that were starting to overwhelm her.

 

 

When Joohyun wanted to brush her teeth, Wendy quickly took a chair on the living room then she dragged it to the kitchen towards the sink just like yesterday, so that Joohyun could properly brush her teeth. Wendy then followed suit, standing beside Joohyun as they both made fun on each other's faces, not to mention that Joohyun almost choked on the toothpaste and she couldn't forget the look on Wendy's face when her eyebrows shot upwards while her eyes nearly went out from its sockets. Wendy almost dashed off to hand Joohyun a glass of water while her face was sweating.

 

Joohyun thought how hot Wendy look when her side bangs were sticking on her forehead because of sweat as the sweat was also running on the slope of Wendy's neck. Joohyun almost choked while draining the water down .

 

Joohyun also liked it whenever Wendy would always worry because of her. It made her somewhat special, considering that they just met yesterday. Was it because she's only a child on Wendy's eyes? But to Joohyun, it meant something else.

 

 

 

 

The very next morning, Joohyun decided that she would tag along at Wendy's work. And of course, Wendy gladly brought Joohyun at the convenience store. Wendy thought that maybe Joohyun was getting bored in her apartment with nothing else to do aside from watching cartoons when in reality, Joohyun was trying to watch horror movies but in the end, she settled with action movies instead.

 

The truth of this was—Joohyun wanted to see and annoy the customers who have the nerve to flirt on Wendy. A wide grin crept unto Joohyun's lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joohyun was greeted by Wendy's co-worker on the convenience store. She was as pretty as Wendy but the latter was still the most beautiful on Joohyun's eyes.

 

She learned that her name's Taeyeon and she's older than Wendy. Wendy and Taeyeon were the ones in-charged of manning the counter.

 

Taeyeon squealed at the first sight of Joohyun. The former squished Joohyun's cheeks lightly as she finds the child cute. Taeyeon even mistakes Joohyun as Wendy's daughter but Wendy politely denies it, telling Taeyeon the whole story of her encounter with the child. Taeyeon understood the situation, giving Joohyun a warm smile while patting the latter's head.

 

Joohyun was about to get jealous of Wendy and Taeyeon's close relationship but she found out that Taeyeon has a girlfriend already. Joohyun unconsciously lets out a sigh of relief.

 

'Wait, why do I have to be jealous? It's not like we're in a relationship or something,'

 

Joohyun kept still on her position; she's sitting on a high chair behind the counter together with Taeyeon and Wendy. Luckily, the convenience store was not packed with customers, unlike these past few days. It made them breathe for a couple of minutes; Wendy and Taeyeon were chatting animatedly and sometimes Joohyun would join in the conversation. It was quite a new environment for her as yesterday was not too productive for her.

 

The three of them went back to the convenience store after they ate lunch at a nearby cafe. As Wendy was fixing her nameplate on the uniform, a good-looking guy entered the store premises. His eyes fixed on Wendy as he made his way to the counter, flashing his pearly white teeth on the former. Wendy returned it with a friendly smile.

 

"Oh, look who's here," Taeyeon pipes up behind Wendy, a smug grin plastered on her face.

 

"Minho, don't tell me you're gonna buy a box of condoms again?" Wendy jokingly asked which earned a nervous laughter from the guy which name is Minho.

 

"Quiet down, Wendy. You made it sound like I'm still a teenager with raging hormones." Minho chuckles, his dimple was showing.

 

"But you still are!" Taeyeon pipes up again and both Wendy and Minho didn't hold back from laughing. Lucky for them that there were only a few customers present inside.

 

Joohyun was just quiet the whole time, silently glaring at Minho's direction; she obviously didn't enjoy the scene that was unfolding right before her cute eyes.

 

"You've brought someone cute today, Wendy! Is this your child, by any chance? Or I think not, the little girl's too beautiful to be your—Aww!" Minho was getting a smack on the head from Wendy, earning a giggle from the latter.

 

Wendy introduced Joohyun to Minho and vice versa. Joohyun seemed to be warming up to Minho as the latter has this kind but funny atmosphere around him. One thing that Joohyun didn't like about him was he kept squishing her fluffy cheeks, turning it red in the process. Wendy would occasionally slap Minho's hands away from her cheeks and the latter reasoned that he couldn't resist the urge to squish her cheeks. Joohyun was a cute and adorable like a bunny after all.

 

"You still owed me a date, Wendy." Minho playfully said while winking towards Wendy's direction. He bought some cup noodles and Wendy was punching his orders in the cash register.

 

Joohyun momentarily stopped staring at the fabric softeners not far away from the counter. She kept a close eye on that items minutes ago but Minho's voice interrupted her. Joohyun shifted her gaze to Minho whose smirk was plastered on his face while keeping his gaze to Wendy. The latter's attention was still on the cash register.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," Wendy said as she pulled out a paper bag to put the cup noodles outside. Minho's face fell enough to plop on the ground.

 

"Oh, c'mon! I thought it was a payback gesture after I helped you last week—" Minho's voice was suddenly stopped as he felt laser beams intensely trying to bore a hole in his head.

 

"Uh-oh, Hyun doesn't approve your request," When Taeyeon laughed her off, it was a cue for Minho to switch his gaze to Joohyun who was now glaring at him. The little girl wasn't all too happy to hear it.

 

Joohyun's intense gaze was enough to convey something, 'Wendy is mine, so back off.'

 

Minho let out a nervous laugh, dismissing his statement earlier as a joke. He didn't want to get to Joohyun's bad side as he sensed the dark aura encircling around Joohyun. Kids could be outrageous when they're angry, Minho thought.

 

Minho then bid his goodbyes to the three of them.

 

The rest of Wendy's work wasn't heavy for that day. Joohyun kept fending off some customers who were flirting subtly earlier after Minho's departure. In the end, those customers backed off—in courtesy of Joohyun.

 

Wendy's work became light and more fun because of Joohyun's presence. The latter would giggle at the sight of the children trying to buy some lollipops and candies on the counter. Joohyun would sometimes assist Wendy on her work, doing some cute gestures for the customers which elicited a couple of giggles from them. Some costumers thought that Joohyun was Wendy's child, and the latter didn't want to deny it but she still denied their assumptions with a sad smile.

 

Though unexpected, Joohyun's presence made Wendy's work more fun and bearable.

 

The convenience store wasn't packed until their shifts ended. They finally exited their way out of the convenience store. Wendy and Taeyeon were talking animatedly as they walked down the streets while Wendy carried Joohyun on her arms, her head snuggled to the crook of Wendy’s neck. The latter fell asleep before Wendy’s shift was over as Joohyun’s body was exhausted for the day and because Joohyun’s energy wasn’t sufficient enough to carry for the entire day because her tiny frame made it impossible to do so. Wendy would occasionally the strands of Joohyun’s silky hair, and the latter would snuggle closer to feel the warmth.

 

Wendy and Joohyun have finally made it to their home. Wendy placed Joohyun on the couch slowly as the latter was still asleep. She changed into comfortable clothes before she went to the kitchen to cook their dinner.

 

It was way past ten in the evening when Wendy and Joohyun decided to get some sleep. They positioned themselves on the bed; Wendy was lying beside Joohyun. The former wrapped her arm on Joohyun’s shoulder while the other hand caressed Joohyun’s hair lovingly in order to help Joohyun to fall asleep quickly. The latter only cuddled closer to her, inhaling the sweet scent from her clothes, or maybe it was just Wendy’s natural scent, Joohyun thought.

 

Joohyun’s presence made Wendy realized something else. Wendy didn’t expect that Joohyun would come into her life, letting her experience something that she couldn’t imagine that it would happen to her. Unconsciously, Wendy’s heart began to flutter.

 

Joohyun sensed this, and she asked Wendy if what kept her mind occupied.

 

“You know, Hyun, I realized something,”

 

“What is it, Wendy-unnie?”

 

“I wanted to have a child—“ Wendy’s sentence was interrupted as Joohyun almost choked on her own saliva. She couldn’t believe what she just had heard. Joohyun pulled against Wendy’s embrace, she leveled her gaze to meet Wendy’s with a surprised expression.

 

“—like you someday. Why do you look so shocked, Hyun?” Wendy brought her hand back to run her fingers on Joohyun’s hair. She couldn’t stop doing so, seeing Joohyun’s soft expression every time she would caress her hair made her warm.

 

Joohyun quickly shakes her head. She gets back to cuddle on Wendy’s chest then she snuggles close to her. A small smile made its way to Joohyun’s lips.

 

“Then you have to marry me,” Joohyun suddenly blurted out. Upon realizing what she said, she quickly shut ; embarrassment flooded her being as her face was instantly flushed with red blushes. She quickly retorted her own statement, “If you wanted to have an adorable child like me, you need to have my genes. Right, Wendy-unnie?” Joohyun cheerfully said. She hoped it would mask the embarrassment earlier, but she knew that Wendy would only think that she’s just a child with no knowledge about serious things.

 

But to Joohyun’s surprise, Wendy smiled softly at her, “If you’re old enough and if I’d still remain single ‘til that day, maybe we could get married. But we should love each other—“

 

“I love you,” Joohyun blurted out again while she looked Wendy in the eyes. But this time, it sounded more raw and sincere. Joohyun was flabbergasted with her own words, it sounded like it came from her heart, not from her mind.

 

Wendy couldn’t hide the shock from her face as she stared at Joohyun, ‘This child, she knew how to melt my heart instantly,’ Wendy stared at Joohyun straight into her eyes. For a second, she saw something—someone—in the little child. It was like she stared at the older version of Joohyun.

 

“I love you too, Hyun.” Wendy responded before she smiled softly as she lightly squeezed Joohyun’s cheeks.

 

Unknown to Wendy, her response made Joohyun’s heart skipped a beat.

 

 

 

 

 

It was Joohyun’s third day in Wendy’s apartment and she unexpectedly woke up early before the latter.

 

Unknown to Wendy, Joohyun has settled her plans the other day. And today’s plans concluded that she would go home soon. Her friend and her parents must be worrying for her now as her phone was snatched days ago. She decided to get some contact information of her friend from her office.

 

As much as she wanted to stay for a bit longer, she knew that she couldn’t do that. If she would stay longer, she’ll grow attached to Wendy and she didn’t want to go home forever. She’d rather want Wendy to sign adoption papers to adopt her.

And of course, her boss might be mad at her sudden absence of work. But the unfortunate thing was she didn’t know if how long the effect of the candy would last. Or maybe she’d be imprisoned on this tiny frame for the rest of her life. She would have to search for that creepy guy who offered her that candy.

 

There were so many reasons for Joohyun to leave but she doesn’t want to go.

 

Joohyun’s heart sank to a realization that she would miss Wendy her hair to sleep, how the latter would help her brush her hair, she would miss the delicious meals from Wendy’s cooking, and several other mundane things she enjoyed with Wendy. She would miss every little thing Wendy does for her.

 

She would miss Wendy terribly. Joohyun’s heart was clenching painfully at the thought. It’s been just three days but she could feel the invisible connection between them and she wanted to spend every minute of her life with Wendy.

 

But she got no choice. She had to settle her problems and mostly, this weird situation she’s been involved right now. She had to fix it first.

 

 

Wendy was shocked upon hearing Joohyun’s decision that morning. She felt her heart dropped suddenly on the ground. Joohyun lied to her—saying that she suddenly remembered the address of her house.

 

The thought of Joohyun leaving her felt like she was being splashed with a cold water above her head. She isn’t Joohyun’s guardian after all. Joohyun has every right to leave her.

 

When Joohyun cemented her decision on going home, Wendy got no choice as she slumped her shoulders in despair.

 

When Wendy turned her body to go to the kitchen to cook her last meal with Joohyun—she’d been hoping that it will not be the last though—Joohyun didn’t hold back as she closed her eyes, her heart was throbbing painfully as the lone tear escaped from her eye.

 

As promised, Wendy accompanied Jooohyun home much to her dismay, she would miss Joohyun's presence around her apartment.

 

It was a long and silent trip. Joohyun slept halfway in the bus and Wendy scooted Joohyun closer to her, the latter's head rested on Wendy's chest as she rubs Joohyun's arm, letting the latter fell more to a deep slumber.

 

Joohyun woke up when she felt a light nudge on her shoulder. She pried her eyes open, letting her conscious absorb the situation. It was then she realized that the surroundings around her felt too familiar.

 

It was her neighborhood.

 

Then it suddenly struck her,

 

She's finally back.

 

Her chocolate brown orbs widened as she wiggled her feet in shock like a little baby.

 

When Wendy felt that Joohyun was slightly squirming in her arms, she immediately put Joohyun's feet down on the ground. Wendy instantly held her hand on Joohyun's, grasping it lightly as she didn't want to slip Joohyun out of her hold, or maybe, out of her life.

 

Joohyun still couldn't believe that she's back, she's freaking back for Pete's sake and she's panicking now, 'How would I explain it to Wendy that I live alone? She'd think I'm crazy if I would tell her the truth,' she groaned mentally.

 

As Joohyun's mind turned in shambles for a moment, Wendy guided Joohyun to roam around the latter's neighborhood. When Wendy was about to press the doorbell on a nearby house to ask, Joohyun quickly tightened her grip on Wendy's hands while she shakes her head furiously.

 

Her neighbors knew her and she's doomed if Wendy would found out that Joohyun wasn't a little girl as she thought. She didn't want to cause a fuss around the neighborhood.

 

It was a surprise for her that Wendy understood what Joohyun meant. They retract their paths and Wendy led Joohyun to a convenience store.

 

"I'll just buy us something to drink. Just stay here, Hyun. Unnie will be quick." Wendy flashed her warm smile to Joohyun as she lightly pats her head before she rushed inside the convenience store. Joohyun let out a sigh of relief, her gaze roaming around the area.

 

Suddenly, her eyes darted to the girl walking to her direction, 'She's really familiar,'

 

When the figure was very near to her, Joohyun let out a gasp, she covered with her hand in shock. How could she forget that face?

 

'Oh God, it is HER girlfriend!'

 

"Seulgi!" Joohyun shouted as she wanted to catch her attention. The girl quickly turned her head around, searching for the person who had just called her name. Her gaze went to the little girl in front of the convenience store. She had a questioning look on her face, her monolid eyes squinted on the child who had called her attention.

 

Joohyun squealed as she rushed to the girl named Seulgi, hugging the latter's knees in delight, 'This is such a coincidence!'

 

Seulgi was taken aback from the little girl's action but nonetheless, she smiled at the child's cuteness.

 

"You're such a cute fellow but how do you know my name?" Seulgi asked, she bent one knee on the ground to level Joohyun.

 

'Oh, I forgot.'

 

"As unbelievable as it sounds but I'm Joohyun, Bae Joohyun." Joohyun carefully answered and as expected, Seulgi's eyeballs were about to pop out from her eyes.

 

Apparently, Seulgi was about to visit Joohyun in her apartment. Her girlfriend was Joohyun's friend—and she couldn't reach Joohyun on the phone for a few days. She didn't want her girlfriend to worry about that matter when she's on overseas so that's why she volunteered to go to Joohyun's apartment. Fortunately, she had met Joohyun before when her girlfriend asked the former to third-wheel on their recent date. Both Joohyun and Seulgi became instantly close after that.

 

"WHAT?! H-how?" Seulgi exclaimed. Joohyun quickly explained her situation to Seulgi from the very beginning--where her body suddenly shrink to a child's size when she woke up—up to the recent happenings which included Wendy accompanying her home. And yes, she explained how she ended up in Wendy's apartment minus the part of how her heart would thrum in her ribcage every time Wendy would be around her.

 

Seulgi seemed to believe her story somehow. And before Joohyun forgets, she also briefs Seulgi that Wendy was still inside the convenience store. Just as Seulgi nodded, Wendy's frame came into Joohyun's view.

 

After she paid for their drinks, she quickly exited the convenience store. The worry in her eyes quickly washed away as soon as she spotted Joohyun outside—but she's talking seriously to someone.

 

She carefully approached them and Joohyun sensed this, her gaze shifted to the figure approaching behind Seulgi.

 

"Hyun," Wendy called out. Seulgi quickly stands up, turning her head to see the person who called Joohyun.

 

"Are you Wendy, perhaps?" Seulgi asked. Wendy reluctantly nodded afterwards.

 

"Are you her guardian by any chance?" Wendy inquired before Seulgi quickly shakes her head, "I'm her friend," Seulgi then explained--more like invented a situation where Joohyun was suddenly missing and how she was lost on Wendy's neighborhood. Both Joohyun and Seulgi felt relieved that Wendy believed their story.

 

"Thank you for taking care of Joohyun-un—I mean Joohyun. It means a lot to us,” Seulgi said, her smile reaches her orbs, forming crescents.

 

Wendy shakes her head, politely dismissing it as she thanked Joohyun instead, for coming into her life even just for a short time. Joohyun took a lot of self-control to be able to hold back her tears; she didn’t want to bawl her eyes out in front of Wendy.

 

‘Stupid! I’m the one who should be thankful to you,’

 

After a few minutes, Wendy bid her goodbyes to both Joohyun and Seulgi. Although it was heartbreaking for Wendy to pull away from Joohyun’s grip on her wrist, she had to go now.

 

Joohyun being unable to handle the thought of Wendy going home, she clutched Wendy’s hand tightly. It was Joohyun’s idea to go home and fix her situation—but she couldn’t handle Wendy being far away from her.

 

Wendy managed to broke away from Joohyun’s tiny grip. The former bent in one knee on the ground as she leveled Joohyun’s eyes, her hands cupping Joohyun’s fluffy cheeks with a sad smile. The latter pouted at first before she sniffled lightly. Joohyun couldn’t hold back her tears as she broke down in front of Wendy. The latter then pulled Joohyun closer to her chest as Wendy treaded her fingers on Joohyun’s hair.

And Joohyun still argued that it was just her childlike hormones overwhelming her.

 

 

 

 

 

“If it weren’t for Seulgi explaining your situation earlier, I thought you were found dead in a ditch these past few days. I couldn’t enjoy my trip overseas because of you!!” Her friend exclaimed as she sighed loud enough for their entire department to hear.

 

“Sorry if I’d made you worry, Sooyoung—“

 

“Worry is such an understatement; you’d made me gone bat crazy!”

 

Irene rolled her eyes as her friend, Park Sooyoung, was continuously ranting about Joohyun’s sudden appearance.

 

After that painful goodbye between Joohyun and Wendy, Seulgi decided to let Joohyun stay on her apartment instead. Joohyun has no energy to refuse her offer. Her feelings had taken a toll on her body as she let her tiny frame collapsed on Seulgi’s couch.

 

After Joohyun’s energy was replenished at that night, they both talked about Joohyun’s bizarre situation. They both came into conclusion that Joohyun would stay in her apartment until they figured out how to get Joohyun’s physique back to normal.

 

It took exactly three days after she stayed at Seulgi’s apartment when the effect of the weird candy had worn off; her body frame was back to normal. At first, Joohyun felt weird that her body suddenly became heavy. Then she later found out that her body frame returned to normal as she stared herself on the mirror.

 

Seulgi had nearly dropped the pringles she’s been holding when she heard a loud scream from her bedroom which came from Joohyun apparently. After Seulgi had found out that Joohyun’s body was back to normal, they celebrated for a minute inside the room, jumping their feet on the ground before Joohyun’s eyes drifted to the clock on the bedside table that says ‘8:15AM WED’.

 

‘I’M FREAKING LATE FOR WORK!!!’

 

She quickly dashed off to the bathroom to take a shower. Seulgi let her borrow some casual attire for work as she doesn’t have time to go home in her apartment.

 

She had to go to work, like right now because she had to explain to her department chairman about her sudden absence from work. And of course, she’d expected that her work has piled up on her table now. Joohyun had to work her double time.

 

At that moment, Joohyun momentarily forgot about that weird candy’s ‘black magic’. Her body’s back to its normal size now and her body seemed to be preoccupied of kinds of stuff from work and most importantly, she couldn’t get Wendy’s image out from her head. She missed Wendy so much and Joohyun promised herself if her workload would be light enough to take another leave of absence even just for a day, she would visit Wendy right away.

 

Seulgi and Joohyun decided not to tell the latter’s bizarre situation which was having a child-size body these past few days. Sooyoung would have gone more bat crazy if she would tell her the truth. Joohyun had excused herself to her friend that she couldn’t maneuver her social accounts very well, blaming her lack of knowledge of using message and social applications when the truth was her phone was snatched.

 

 

“You know what, your clothes—they looked too familiar,” Sooyoung said suspiciously, her gaze lingered on Joohyun’s outfit for a minute.

 

‘Because this belongs to your girlfriend, dimwit.’ And Joohyun wasn’t going to say that or it will arouse Sooyoung’s curiosity more.

 

Joohyun was about to reply when Sooyoung casually diverted the topic.

 

“I heard there’s a newly hired employee at the Music Department. I’ve met her earlier this morning and she’s soooo cute! Not to mention that she’s also a total hottie with her blazers hugging her curves. I think it’s her first day of work today and you should totally meet her!” Sooyoung exclaimed, her face lit up in excitement opposite to Joohyun whose mind has flown elsewhere—but the truth was she was only thinking of Wendy. The thought of Wendy’s face was like an itch and no matter how hard she scratched that thought off her mind, she would only keep missing Wendy more.

 

“Hello? Earth to Joohyun-unnie?” Joohyun was brought out from her trance as Sooyoung’s hands waved frantically in front of her face. Joohyun slapped Sooyoung’s hand away as she reasoned out that her mind was just preoccupied her student’s paperwork piled up at her desk.

 

“So, you were saying that?” Joohyun casually asked as her attention was now back on her laptop.

 

“You should meet that new cute employee, Joohyun-unnie. I swear to all of your fabric softeners that she’s definitely your type. I could really tell from my instincts that you’ll like her! If only Seulgi wasn’t my girlfriend, I would totally date her. But I love my girlfriend so I’ll let you have her instead.” Joohyun scoffed at Sooyoung’s seemingly implausible speech.

 

“You sounded like you owned all of the cute girls here in the university, Soo. I can’t say I’m proud of you,”

 

“Well, you should be, Joohyun-unnie. I’m not the cutie-y professor in the university for nothing.” Sooyoung winked at Joohyun’s direction and the latter can’t help it but feel gross about her friend. She always knew that Sooyoung’s face and personality were attractive enough to charm all of the students and employees in the university.

 

“Thanks for the information, Soo, but leave me out from your antics.” Joohyun was uninterested in this ‘new cute employee’ her friend was talking about. Her eyes were only set for Wendy.

 

“Don’t be such a killjoy, unnie—oh, speaking of her…” Sooyoung trailed off, her grin was slowly creeping to her lips.

 

Sooyoung suddenly called out to the person who happened to pass by on the department. The girl seemed to hear her own name as she halted her steps. The girl turned her head to Sooyoung’s direction and she automatically waved her hand at her, her signature bright smile shined across the department. Sooyoung brightly smiled back at her while also waving her hand. Sooyoung then gestured her hand to the girl to come in.

 

Joohyun seemed to have not noticed the friendly interaction as her attention was fixed on her student’s paper works. Her head was beginning to ache with all of the papers stacked in front of her.

 

Joohyun was also beginning to think that she was hallucinating as she could hear a voice that she longed to hear so much near her. Maybe her work was taking a toll on her and her mind wanted to go nuts right at this moment.

 

Joohyun proved her thoughts to be wrong as Sooyoung shook her shoulder lightly to catch her attention, telling Joohyun that she would introduce her to the employee she was talking about earlier. Joohyun forced herself to lift her head so that Sooyoung would stop bothering her, only to be frozen on her seat.

 

“This was the employee I was talking about! She’s cute, isn’t she?” Sooyoung giggled as the girl beside her just lowered her head shyly, her gaze was fixed on the floor as her cheeks were starting to burn.

 

“Ms. Wendy, this is Bae Irene, a lovely friend of mine who happened to have a goddess-like beauty and I hate her for that and Irene-unnie, this is Ms. Son Wendy from the Music Department. Like I said earlier, she’s cute, right?” Sooyoung purposely said Joohyun’s other name as the older was known to be Bae Irene in the university. She only has the privilege to call Joohyun by her real name as she has a close relationship with the older.

 

Joohyun’s mind seemed to be malfunctioning as she can’t thoroughly process what Sooyoung was saying. The only thing that registered on her mind was that Wendy, that Wendy who took care of her before, and the girl who managed to make her heart thump erratically, was now in front of her in flesh.

 

Joohyun’s conscious was still out of the world when the girl named Wendy, offered her hand for a handshake.

 

“Nice to meet you, Ms. Bae.” Wendy’s voice echoed with sweetness, her soft smile stirred unfamiliar emotions in Joohyun. The latter wanted to cry from happiness, her headaches and stress brought from paperwork quickly washed out just from the blinding features of Wendy’s face.

 

Joohyun knew that another chapter of her book would open as she lifted her hand to Wendy’s, lightly grasping it for a handshake.

 

Joohyun’s smile never left her face as she answered back, “The pleasure to finally meet the love of my life, my Wendy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MEANWHILE, on the other side of the universe,

 

“WHAT THE IS WRONG WITH YOU AND YOUR PEEBLE-SIZED BRAIN? I ONLY GAVE YOU ONE MISSION AND YOU STILL MESSED IT UP.”

 

“Oh, c’mon! It’s just a candy—”

 

“It’s a Gulliver candy with reverse effects, you dumb idiot! I told you to use it for your mission and now, YOU ED UP.”

 

“I know—I’m sorry. But the candy wasn’t really wasted as you can see,” She took a deep breath, trying to calm her mind from the nervousness. She knew she ed up her mission but, in the end, she managed to intertwine the two paths together—that was really her only goal on coming to earth and no one has to know that other than herself. She smiled in victory at the back of her mind but she kept a nervous expression on her face. She accepted a mission just to cover up her own mission on earth.

“You do know the strict rule we had, right? We don’t mess with human lives,” She nodded quickly, feigning innocence, “You have to face the consequences of what you did.” She nodded again but this time, in defeat but with pride.

 

She knew what she did was against the rules. She had prepared herself for her punishment both physically and mentally.

 

After she witnessed both hearts gradually warmed from the sudden incident she purposely caused, she couldn’t say that she regretted what she did, not after she saw the warmth emitted from Irene and Wendy whenever they are in each other’s presence.

 

She was still trapped in her thoughts when suddenly, her ears were pulled with force making her stand up from her seat—practically dragging her from her spot.

 

“You’re in deepest right now,” She mentally rolled her eyes at the statement. Of course, she is in deep , she knew it better than others.

 

“You looked much better when you disguised yourself to be an old geezer on Earth. I hope you stayed that way forever though, too bad you didn’t.” She just snorted as a response.

 

“You could’ve used your powers, you know. Why did you let yourself go through so much trouble?”

 

“I just wanted to. There’s no fun on using powers just to let her fall for the other. It was nice to feel the love in a natural way—just their raw feelings involved, not with some weird ‘abracadabra’ magic I induced to them. I’m glad I met them even just for short time,” She let out a sigh, thinking about those two made her heart swell with joy, ‘At least they had their own happy ending now,’.

 

“You know that they would still end up together in the end but you still chose to fail your mission.”

 

“After Wendy’s divorce and Irene was finally free from her 8th boyfriend—yes, they would be. I just wanted to speed things up and I didn’t feel any ounce of regret from it.” She grinned like a Cheshire cat as she remembered what she did back then.

 

She was drowned in her thoughts when she felt the grasp from her ear turned more aggressive, making her flinch in discomfort.

 

“Aww! You can just ask me to walk, you know?”

 

“Of course, I would never let you escape that easily, you know?”

 

She sighs in defeat from the sudden retort as she was dragged away from her seat.

 

‘You guys better work out or else, I’ll break out from this world to chase you two again!’

 

‘Nevermind, I knew you were made for each other. I’m the goddess of love after all.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

end.