3/3

Country Boy (I Love You)

Something changes between them after their heartfelt conversation. By the middle of the second week, Youngjae has come to the grudging conclusion that now that his biggest point of resistance has been addressed, there are less reasons than ever to ignore the attraction he’s felt to Daehyun since the moment he arrived on the farm.

He’s woken up three days in a row to find that he subconsciously decided in the middle of the night to splay an arm across Daehyun’s chest or nuzzle into his neck, effectively rendering Daehyun incapable of getting up at his usual time without disturbing Youngjae. He had been beyond embarrassed the first time it happened, but of course, Daehyun hadn’t seemed to mind at all. By the third day, even Youngjae has gotten used to it, and he goes so far as to pretend to still be sleeping so he can enjoy the feeling a little longer.

With each passing day, Youngjae spends less time by himself in the garden and more time in the company of Daehyun while he’s working or walking Ganji. Daehyun is quite an entertaining person to talk to, Youngjae learns, and is also very adorable to watch when he’s excited about something. He hasn’t stopped flirting with Youngjae, either (not that Youngjae expected or wanted him to), but there’s something different about it now - before, his words felt more playful than anything else, but now, they’re more intentional, seem to have more meaning. Youngjae finds it both scary and thrilling, and he can’t stay away.

The sun is a neat semicircle on the horizon, signaling the end of the tenth day of the vacation, when Youngjae finds himself next to Daehyun, leaning against the fence surrounding the garden. A comfortable silence settles over them as they look out into the field together, watching as the setting sun decorates the sky with color.

“It’s so peaceful out here,” Youngjae sighs, feeling content. “I’ve never taken the time to watch a sunset before.”

“Of course not, Manager Yoo has a company to run, doesn’t he?” Daehyun teases.

“Hey, I actually have a lot to do, okay?” Youngjae protests half-heartedly, bumping his shoulder against Daehyun’s lightly. “It wouldn’t look as nice in the city, anyway.”

“Yeah, the view is pretty here,” Daehyun says, and when Youngjae turns his head, he’s hardly surprised at all to find Daehyun’s eyes fixed on him rather than on the sky. Daehyun’s gaze doesn’t waver as he continues talking. “I could look at it every day for my whole life and still be amazed every time.”

“Stop it,” Youngjae says, unable to fight the little smile that blooms on his face, a dead giveaway that his complaint isn’t serious. “Forever is a long time, you know. You’d get tired of it eventually.”

Daehyun smiles too, sliding a little closer. “Never, sweetheart,” he says, sounding very much like he means it. His voice drops as he leans in slightly, his eyes roaming all over Youngjae’s face. “Some works of art are just so beautiful, they’ll always be appreciated.”

“I-I guess so,” Youngjae manages to say. His heart is racing, and he’s acutely aware that their faces are only centimeters apart now.

“Youngjae,” Daehyun murmurs, his eyes full of longing as they flicker from Youngjae’s eyes to his lips. “Will you let me kiss you?”

The tiniest part of Youngjae wants to say no, wants to hold out until the end of this trip so he can go home and return to his perfectly satisfactory work life and forget all of this. But the truth is, Daehyun is sweet and cute and sincere, and Youngjae gets along with him and genuinely likes him, and maybe he wants a little more than “perfectly satisfactory” for his life after all.

And the much larger part of him that’s screaming at him to say yes already has him placing his shaky hands on Daehyun’s chest and leaning in. “Please,” he whispers, and he can’t even find it in himself to feel embarrassed at how needy he must sound as his eyes flutter shut.

Youngjae has kissed people before in his life - not many, maybe, but this certainly isn’t his first time. Still, as Daehyun’s hands find his waist and gently pull him closer, Youngjae can’t remember a single other time he was left so physically and emotionally affected by a kiss alone.

Daehyun pulls away first, though he doesn’t move very far, Youngjae’s waist still firmly in his grip. Youngjae slowly opens his eyes and watches, dazed, as a smile blossoms on Daehyun’s face. “Wow,” Daehyun breathes, his eyes never leaving Youngjae’s face. He brings up a hand and runs his thumb along Youngjae’s reddened bottom lip, looking entranced. Youngjae shivers at the touch, resisting the almost instinctive urge to wrap his lips around the finger, and Daehyun’s eyes darken slightly before he leans in again.

And Youngjae lets him, kissing back with an eagerness that surprises even himself, allowing Daehyun to carefully work his lips open and explore Youngjae’s mouth with his tongue. Daehyun lets out a noise that sounds very much like a growl, and Youngjae feels like every inch of his body is crackling with electricity, like he could burst from the intensity of it all.

Their kisses are charged with the fire that has characterized their attraction to each other all along, but there’s nothing aggressive in their movements. Daehyun is holding Youngjae as close to him as their bodies allow, like he’s afraid Youngjae will vanish otherwise, and Youngjae clings to the front of Daehyun’s shirt, crinkling the fabric in his hands, like a promise that he doesn’t plan on disappearing any time soon.

Even as that thought crosses his mind, though, Youngjae suddenly remembers who he is and who Daehyun is and - they live on opposite ends of the country. It’s scary enough as it is, falling for Daehyun as hard as he has in such a short amount of time. He’s known the man for less than two weeks, but the way they’ve connected - it feels like they’ve known each other for lifetimes, and truthfully, he’s never experienced such overwhelming feelings before. Unfortunately, the fact is that long-distance relationships aren’t easy, and Youngjae wants this but he also can’t help but have doubts.

He reluctantly draws away, afraid to meet Daehyun’s eyes. “Daehyun,” he whispers, his voice trembling a little. “We - I -”

“Shh,” Daehyun cuts him off, pressing a finger to his lips. He has a knowing look on his face, like he had anticipated this very moment. “I know you’re scared, sweetheart.”

“I just...don’t want this to hurt,” Youngjae admits quietly. “For either of us.”

“And I don’t want to hurt you,” Daehyun says softly. “I just want you to realize that you don’t need to deprive yourself of happiness to prove that you’re strong. You’re so strong, Youngjae. I know that. But I want to see you be happy, too, and I want to be the one who gives you that happiness.” He takes a deep breath, and for the first time Youngjae can remember, he doesn’t seem very confident. “So if you want or need this to just be a casual thing, then - it’s - we can do that.”

“No,” Youngjae says immediately. “No. I don’t - casual relationships don’t work for me.” And I like you too much already, he doesn’t say, and it’s terrifying.

“O-Okay,” Daehyun says, and he sounds disappointed, but even more than that, he sounds sad. “Then I-I won’t bother you.” He smiles uncertainly. “You get it, right? It’s just, being around you after - after all this -” he gestures between them - “it’ll be kind of hard for me. At least for a little while.”

“Daehyun,” Youngjae chokes out. The dejected look on Daehyun’s face mirrors the feeling in Youngjae’s heart when he thinks about passing up the chance to finally have something that will make him genuinely happy. He’s uncertain about a lot of things, but he knows what he wants, and it isn’t this. “I don’t want you to not bother me.” He takes a deep breath. Yoo Youngjae isn’t afraid to speak his mind, he reminds himself. And he gets what he wants. He looks directly into Daehyun’s eyes and the longing he finds there is enough to give him the last boost of confidence he needs. “I want you to date me.”

Daehyun stares at him for a few moments in silence. “For real?” he finally asks, and he sounds so hopeful that the only response Youngjae can think to give him is to tighten his grip on the front of Daehyun’s shirt and pull him in for another kiss. Daehyun responds with renewed enthusiasm, holding Youngjae’s face in his hands like he’s never revered anything more. “I’m guessing that’s a yes,” he says, smiling against Youngjae’s lips.

Youngjae lets out a breathless giggle. “I’m guessing this is a yes from you too,” he replies, and Daehyun nods, kissing Youngjae’s nose and cheeks and jaw before pulling away to gaze at Youngjae contentedly.

“I really like you, Yoo Youngjae,” Daehyun breathes. “I really, really like you.”

“I know,” Youngjae whispers, offering him a little smile. He nudges Daehyun’s nose with his own. “Daehyunnie, kiss me again.” And when Daehyun grins back and eagerly obliges, Youngjae knows Daehyun understands what he means. I really, really like you too.

(They’re so caught up in each other that they end up losing track of time, staying out well after the sun has disappeared from the sky. They arrive at the dinner table half an hour after the meal was supposed to start, and fifteen minutes after the others decided to begin eating without them.

“Look who finally showed up,” Himchan says, smirking. “Where did you two disappear off to, hmm?”

Despite the decision they had made together just a short while ago, despite the fact that Daehyun looks thoroughly ravished and Youngjae probably doesn’t look much better, Youngjae’s panicked first instinct is to deny deflect deny change the subject deny make an excuse deny - but then he glances at Daehyun, who’s looking at him with the softest of smiles on his face, and suddenly Youngjae is calmer, doesn’t feel the need to pretend.

Instead, he returns the smile and reaches out to lace his fingers through Daehyun’s before turning to Himchan again. “We were together,” Youngjae says. He feels Daehyun’s warm hand squeeze his own, and he squeezes back, a little lightheaded from how content he feels in this moment.

Himchan, surprisingly, doesn’t make any obnoxious comments; in fact, both he and Yongguk strongly resemble proud parents, smiling affectionately at the new couple. Even Junhong and Jongup, though they do look amused, have the courtesy to hide their giggles.

He and Daehyun finally sit down together and begin to serve themselves, and the rest of them easily break into normal conversation again. As he watches everyone chatter animatedly, Youngjae admits to himself that Himchan had ultimately been right about Daehyun. He’s not saving Youngjae, because Youngjae didn’t need saving. Daehyun is just adding something more: he’s making Youngjae happy. And for the first time in a while, Youngjae believes that he deserves it.)

~~~

Youngjae wakes up feeling very comfortable, wrapped in a snug embrace. He discovers that his head is resting on something much firmer and much warmer than a pillow, and he sleepily buries his face in it.

A soft laugh reverberates through the room, the surface Youngjae is leaning on vibrating slightly, and Youngjae lifts his head, disorientedly looking for the source. He peers up through eyes that are still heavy with sleep to find Daehyun smiling fondly at him. “Morning, angel,” Daehyun says, the clarity of his voice suggesting that he’s been awake for a while. “Did you sleep well?”

“Mmm.” Youngjae, still in the process of waking up, hums in response and nuzzles into Daehyun’s neck, blaming his hazy state of mind for the uncharacteristic display of affection. “Still sleepy.”

Daehyun laughs again and kisses Youngjae’s temple. “You can go back to sleep if you want to, baby.”

Youngjae’s eyes are still closed, but he smiles against Daehyun’s skin. “Baby?” he repeats (and maybe he kind of loves being called that).

“You don’t mind, right?” Daehyun asks, caught in a rare moment of insecurity.

“Daehyunnie,” Youngjae says, pressing a soft kiss to Daehyun’s shoulder, “if I had a problem with your nicknames for me, don’t you think I would have put a little more effort into stopping you before?”

Daehyun smiles, his eyes turning into little crescents as he drops a kiss on Youngjae’s nose. “Good point, cutie.”

“I know,” Youngjae says smugly, feeling much more awake as he leans into the touch before suddenly pulling away with a smirk and getting out of bed.

“Where are you going?” Daehyun whines. “I thought you were still sleepy, come back to bed.”

Youngjae can’t help it - he bursts into giggles, because Daehyun looks unreasonably cute frowning up at him. “I’m just going to the bathroom and cleaning up a little, Dae. I’ll be right back.”

“Fine,” Daehyun grumbles, though he doesn’t really sound upset. “I’ll freshen up too, I guess.” Youngjae, smiling fondly, watches Daehyun force himself out of bed and shuffle around the room while mumbling to himself about how Ganji needs to be fed, too.

By the time Youngjae comes out of the bathroom fifteen minutes later, having washed his face and brushed his teeth and generally made himself fully wake up, Ganji is no longer sleeping in his usual spot (he must be eating outside) and Daehyun has placed himself back on the bed, leaning against the headboard with the covers thrown carelessly across his legs and a pout on his face.

Youngjae’s lips curl into a smile as he climbs onto the bed, crawling over to Daehyun and ghosting a kiss at the corner of his mouth. “Why so moody, hm?”

Before Youngjae can pull away, Daehyun grabs his waist and tugs him onto his lap to give him a proper kiss. “You’re really going to tease me first thing in the morning?”

“Yes,” Youngjae says, because he can. He grins down at Daehyun cheekily, giddy with contentment. It’s hard to believe that less than twenty-four hours ago, he was still trying to resist this, because now that he has it, he never wants to lose it. Long-distance will be tough, yes, but this feels like it’s absolutely worth it.

“Naughty,” Daehyun says with a laugh, kissing Youngjae again. “Maybe ‘angel’ isn’t a good nickname for you after all.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” Youngjae says innocently, purposefully shifting in Daehyun’s lap as he speaks.

Daehyun tightens his hold on Youngjae’s hips and lets out a soft growl, pulling Youngjae closer. “Come here, you.”

“Gladly,” Youngjae whispers. And he loses himself in kissing Daehyun for a while, content to let Daehyun grip his waist while Youngjae leans in as close as he can, one hand cupping Daehyun’s face and the other buried in his hair.

Daehyun lets out a sound Youngjae would love to hear again when Youngjae on his tongue, his hold on Youngjae tightening for a moment. “Baby,” Daehyun groans. “You’re going to kill me.” Youngjae just smirks at him playfully, and Daehyun nips at his bottom lip in retaliation before pulling Youngjae back down and thoroughly ravishing his mouth again. “We should probably slow down,” he suggests breathlessly when they finally separate.

“Probably,” Youngjae agrees, panting softly as he rests his forehead against Daehyun’s.

“But I want to kiss you again, angel,” Daehyun says, bringing a hand up to thumb Youngjae’s cheek, his eyes visibly darkening as he fixates on Youngjae’s swollen lips.

Youngjae smiles and flutters his eyelashes. “Then kiss me, Daehyunnie.”

Before Daehyun can oblige, though, a sharp knock resounds through the room. “Hello?” Himchan’s muffled voice floats through the door. “Not to interrupt, but can you two let us know when you’re ready to join the rest of polite society? Thanks!”

“Can you maybe leave us alone?” Youngjae grumbles.

“Message received!” Himchan calls obnoxiously. “We won’t expect you for another hour or so. Stay safe, you two!”

Youngjae glares at the door. “Go away, hyung!” Himchan doesn’t say anything else, but Youngjae can hear him laughing to himself as he walks away.

Daehyun draws Youngjae’s attention away from the door before he can complain more. “You are unbelievably cute, you know that?” He’s looking at Youngjae like he’s completely in awe of what he sees, and Youngjae feels his annoyance melt away.

“So I’m constantly being told,” Youngjae says, smiling.

Daehyun’s eyes widen exaggeratedly, clearly feigning jealousy. “Constantly? Who’s been telling you that?”

Youngjae leans down and whispers in Daehyun’s ear like it’s a secret. “Just some guy I met on some farm. Jung Daehyun, or something like that.”

“Hmm, he sounds handsome,” Daehyun says with a laugh.

“He’s okay,” Youngjae replies playfully, because Daehyun is very handsome and Youngjae is very much aware of that - but messing with Daehyun is fun, too. “I’m satisfied, I guess.”

“He’s a lucky man,” Daehyun says matter-of-factly, “if he gets to date a cutie like you.”

“Stop it,” Youngjae whines, fidgeting in Daehyun’s lap. “You’re so embarrassing. I’m intimidating, okay, not just cute. They made me manager for a reason.”

“Baby, you have to stop moving like that,” Daehyun warns, sliding his calloused hands under Youngjae’s shirt to hold his hips in place. “Or we’ll have to see if you’re still intimidating after I’ve turned you into a pretty little mess.”

“I’d like to see you try,” Youngjae challenges defiantly, not-so-secretly hoping Daehyun is the kind of person who will take him up on it, and Daehyun’s eyes darken.

Moments later, Youngjae finds himself on his back as Daehyun pins him down into the mattress, trapping Youngjae’s wrists and pushing his thigh between Youngjae’s legs. “Is this what you wanted?” Daehyun asks, his tone innocent but his eyes hungry.

And this is, in fact, exactly what Youngjae wanted, but he suddenly remembers Himchan and the others smugly anticipating their complete lack of self-control and figures that they should try to show at least a little restraint. So reluctant as he is, he coughs lightly and says, “Actually...we should probably get up.”

Daehyun’s expression changes instantaneously, and he clambers off Youngjae hastily. “I’m sorry! I didn’t want to go too far, I’m sorry if that was too much.”

Youngjae gazes into Daehyun’s worried eyes and wonders if Daehyun knows that he’s the ideal man. He pulls Daehyun back towards him, kissing him again gently. “It’s not that, Dae. That definitely wasn’t too much. I would even say it wasn’t quite enough.” He deliberately lowers his tone as he says it, knowing Daehyun will catch on - he doesn’t see a reason to be shy about his ual preferences around someone who will clearly support and respect them. Daehyun’s eyes widen at that, his pupils dilating again, and Youngjae takes it as encouragement to keep speaking. “We can keep going later, okay? Just not right now, because we should probably grace the others with our presence.”

“Right,” Daehyun agrees, still looking slightly dazed. “You know, you’re a wild little thing, Yoo Youngjae.”

“You have no idea,” Youngjae winks, sitting up carefully. Feeling brave, he whispers one last thing into Daehyun’s ear just before he and Daehyun leave the bed. “But I promise you’ll get to find out.”

(Needless to say, after a long day of anticipation, neither of them end up getting much sleep that night. But then again, Youngjae falls asleep in Daehyun’s arms, basking in the afterglow of three rounds, and wakes up at noon to Daehyun feeding him lunch in bed, so he doesn’t have any complaints.)

~~~

In spectacular contrast to how he he had been before, Daehyun now appears to be completely incapable of keeping his hands to himself (not that Youngjae has any problem with it). Youngjae has never been much into overt displays of affection, but Daehyun is very touchy. And to be honest, even though he would never initiate any of it, Youngjae can’t deny that he enjoys it all - the hugs, the hand-holding, the kisses pressed to any available spot on Youngjae’s face, the way Daehyun buries his face in Youngjae’s neck as they fall asleep, how Daehyun can’t seem to stop his hands from wandering while they’re watching movies with the others.

As the last day of the trip draws ever closer, Youngjae overhears Himchan talking to Daehyun in the barn one morning, stopping to eavesdrop when it becomes clear that the topic of conversation is himself.

“Don’t break his heart, Daehyunnie,” he hears Himchan say, and he immediately rolls his eyes, feeling both exasperated and fond - really, it’s just like Himchan to act like an overprotective parent, brother, and friend all in one.

“Are you kidding?” Daehyun says, sounding incredulous. (Youngjae can just picture the look on his face; it makes him smile.) “I feel like the luckiest person alive that he even wanted to date me in the first place. And by the way, I still can’t believe you didn’t tell me you were friends with my literal dream guy.”

“Yeah,” Himchan says, sounding slightly sheepish but mostly amused. “I’m not sure why I never made that connection, because it sure seems obvious now.”

“Probably because you were too busy daydreaming about Yongguk-hyung,” Daehyun suggests. It’s exactly what Youngjae would have said, and Youngjae feels himself falling a little more for the man he can officially call his boyfriend.

“You’re such a little ,” Himchan says, but there’s no heat in his voice and he doesn’t deny Daehyun’s words. “Anyway, I know you’re whipped, but you shouldn’t let him boss you around, either. The manager thing really got to his head, the brat.” Youngjae wants to feel indignant, but the whole situation is more humorous than anything else.

“We both boss each other around,” Daehyun says placidly.

“He lets you boss him around?” Himchan asks, and Youngjae can perfectly envision the bewildered arch of Himchan’s eyebrow.

“Oh yeah,” Daehyun says, his voice dripping with suggestion. Even though no one can see him, Youngjae flushes slightly as he remembers exactly what Daehyun is referring to. “He loves it.”

There’s a long pause as Himchan drinks in the new information. “Wow,” he finally says. “That was something I really didn’t need to know.”

“You asked,” Daehyun points out cheekily.

Youngjae hears Himchan groan. “God, why are you two exactly the same? You really are made for each other, aren’t you?”

Daehyun sighs dreamily. “I really hope so, hyung.” And Youngjae would never admit it out loud to anyone, but he melts at that, because Daehyun sounds about as smitten as Youngjae feels.

He brings Daehyun a bouquet of flowers from the garden later, and when Daehyun asks what the occasion is, Youngjae just shrugs and smiles coyly. Daehyun thanks him with a loud kiss before tucking one of the little white flowers from the bouquet behind Youngjae’s ear. “Beautiful,” he says, and Youngjae hates how cheesy it is, but he can’t stop smiling.

The days go by too quickly, Youngjae thinks. He starts becoming more glum as the final day approaches, and it’s not just because of the unappealing prospect of returning to sleeping alone every night. He’s going to miss working in the garden and playing with Ganji, listening to Yongguk’s calming voice and watching Jongup walk into the kitchen at noon with his messy bedhead. He’ll miss seeing Himchan’s fond smiles as Yongguk attempts to cook for him and Junhong’s shy pink cheeks when he looks at Jongup. And he isn’t the only one, either - they’re all, understandably, quite unenthusiastic about the impending arrival of the last day.

When the time finally comes for their vacation to end, Youngjae, Himchan, and Junhong are escorted by the country boys to the train station so they can say their goodbyes there. As the six of them walk towards the platform, clumped together but divided into their groups of two, Daehyun clings to Youngjae’s hand. Youngjae knows Daehyun is reluctant to let go - he’s feeling the same way.

He squeezes Daehyun’s hand and turns to face him. “Try not to miss me too much, Daehyunnie,” he says, a wry smile tugging at his lips.

“Impossible,” Daehyun says immediately, and he brushes a light kiss across Youngjae’s knuckles. “I miss you already, and you haven’t even left yet.”

“So needy,” Youngjae teases, his face and heart warm at Daehyun’s earnest honesty.

Daehyun’s mouth pulls into a smirk as he leans closer, his breath tickling Youngjae’s ear. “We’ve shared a bed for two weeks, sweetheart. I don’t think you’re in any position to be calling me needy.”

Youngjae feels himself flush, but he bites back anyway. “I didn’t hear you complaining when it meant that my mouth was on your -”

Daehyun cuts him off with a finger pressed to his lips. “Baby,” he says, his voice a playful growl. “Be good.”

“You can’t make me,” Youngjae returns, feeling cheeky. “Not here.”

“Hm,” Daehyun says, his eyes twinkling with amusement and promises. Youngjae feels a thrill course through his veins as he remembers what Daehyun whispered into his skin last night, that they’ll be reunited in two months because Daehyun is moving to the city. (Youngjae yelled at him for keeping the fact that he’s going back to school a secret until the last possible second, but forgave him immediately afterward because he’s not going to complain about Daehyun living less than ten minutes away from his apartment). Daehyun presses a chaste kiss to his lips. “Well, I’ll see you soon, won’t I, cutie? Then we can do whatever we want.”

Youngjae smiles and kisses Daehyun one more time. “You better mean that, Daehyunnie. I’ll be waiting.”