Jerk

Jerk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Koo Junhoe blinked when he saw her name on the KakaoTalk group chat that his band mate, Kim Donghyuk, made. He was quite surprised because over the years, their boss had limited interactions from both groups. He was even surprised that Kim Donghyuk knew the girl’s KakaoTalk ID.

 

It’s been 5 years since they last interacted (though strictly professional, during YG Family Concert when they had a duet together)— 4 and a half years since the last time they had spoken (though it was the standard hello and goodbye when they crossed paths in YGE) and 4 years since the last time he heard from her. Well, not really. After all, she’s a part of the biggest girl group in Korea (and now, the world) and it was impossible not to hear anything about her. But like someone who wasn’t truly a part of her life anymore, everything he knew were all from the news or secondhand information he heard some managers say. He used to kept tabs on her via social media at first but with his busy schedule with his upcoming musical and his 2nd solo album on the way, he realized that he realized how unhealthy it was considering that he was just drowning himself in sorrow and regret whenever he sought her out. 

 

He almost dropped his phone when he saw that she sent a text.

 

“Donghyukie, what’s this group for?” She texted making Koo Junhoe frown. It wasn’t a secret to everyone that he’s a jealous man. All of a sudden, he was reminded why their relationship ended in the first place. 

 

Flashback

10 years ago

 

In Koo Junhoe’s mind, it wasn’t just possible. He worked so damn hard and this couldn’t happen. All of a sudden, he feared for his uncertain future. What the president said replayed in his head over and over again. They were going to be divided up, or be changed or worst, have to wait another 4 years to debut. Would he lose his spot in the team? Would his brothers debut with him? 

 

For the first time in 2 years, he saw Hanbin so lost. Their perfectionist leader had it worst. Junhoe knew that Hanbin blamed himself for their lost. He didn’t speak with any of them for an entire week and locked himself in the studio day and night to create new songs. 

 

Jinhwan was in-charged when Hanbin was locked up in the studio. They practiced their new routine for their next monthly evaluation (and rumour has it that the president would announce if they were going to divided or have the members changed) and everyone was stressed. Even as he lead, Jinhwan had tears in his eyes. Junhoe knew that Jinhwan wasn’t the type who could hide his emotions.

 

Distracted by the his many thoughts, he kept on failing to get one step perfectly no matter how many times Donghyuk and Jinhwan taught him and it was starting to piss him off. With their emotions heightened, Junhoe let out his frustrations by screaming, causing Jinhwan to cry even more and Yunhyeong trying to pacify the situation. Bobby, being uncomfortable of the situation, went out to get some food while Donghyuk just stood there frozen, not knowing what to do. 

 

“Guys, I know it’s hard. Let’s take a 15 minute break okay? Junhoe, rest, eat, or go out to breathe some fresh air then go back when you’re feeling better, okay? We can do this guys!” Yunhyeong said as he tried to cheer up everyone but Junhoe knew that even Yunhyeong’s positivity was slowly draining out. Not wanting to cause more drama, he excused himself out of the practice room to get some fresh air as the older boy suggested. 

 

Junhoe went at the back of the training center. It was his go-to spot when he wanted to be alone. Just as soon as he got there, he realized that his cheeks were soaked with tears already. It was as if all the pent up emotions got released in an instant and he was glad that no one else could see him. He was the most confident one in the group and he didn’t want to show some weakness. 

 

“Junhoe-ssi?” A female voice said making Junhoe wipe his eyes and cheeks with his sleeves. 

 

“Sorry if I followed you out here. You just looked like you needed someone to talk to.” She added before Junhoe could come up with an excuse. There was no point in lying. He had been caught crying by a fellow trainee. But that didn’t mean he was gonna talk. They had crossed paths from time to time but they weren’t exactly friends since the president ordered to separate female and male trainees as much as possible. He knew her though. She was quite popular among trainees. She was the “Australian” who won over a few hundred trainee-hopefuls during the audition.

 

“Look. I know we’re not exactly friends but I’ve religiously watched WIN and I was rooting for you and I’m such a big fan and I realized that we’re of the same age so I guess what I’m trying to say is that I want to be friends and I wanna cheer you up because you really did well and I’ve been hearing our teachers that your group looks so down these days and I just want you to know that I’m here to listen if you needed someone...” She rambled before he stopped her.

 

“Yah! Park Chaeyoung! Slow down or you’ll be out of breath!” He Warner. True enough, she tried to catch her breath when she finished speaking, making him laugh.

 

And starting from that day, the 2 teenagers developed a friendship that only the 2 of them knew about. 

 

——————-

7 years ago

Koo Junhoe did the unexpected. As soon as he saw Park Chaeyoung, he picked her up, hugged her, and twirled her on the air. He was just too happy. They were going to debut. His dreams would finally come true and he couldn’t keep his happiness in front of his dear friend.

 

“Yah! Koo Junhoe! Put me down! What if someone sees us?” Chaeyoung warned him. He gently put her down and apologized.

 

“We’re debuting Chae! We’re finally debuting!” He said. His hands were still on her tiny waist.

 

“I know! Congrats!” She said but her eyes started to water. They’ve been friends for a year but Junhoe knew her like the back of his hand. Something was bothering her. 

 

“Hey! This should be a happy moment. What’s wrong?” He asked as his hands let go of her waist and moved to her head. 

 

“I’m truly happy for you. But when will I debut?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter