the dinner

Long way round

If Dahyun had to choose a song to describe her relationship with Momo, it would be that old french song Chaeyoung made her listen to, called Les plaisirs démodées. The beginning of the song is lively, truly sounds like something you would find in an old club. But at some point, the song reaches a softer beat, something that could fit a slow dance before going back to the energetic part. But weirdly, the opposed tunes fit perfectly together.

 

Their dynamic had always been like that ; either a funny and lively duo, ready to face anyone, or a intimate one, sometimes completely off to whatever was happening around them. And so, from how close they were, Dahyun could easily tell when Momo was down.

 

And it had been several days since the older girl had showed interest or happiness to things dahyun would talk to her about. So, she decided to take care of the matter ; momo refused talk, Dahyun opted for actions. She called her friends about it, and got everything settled in a few hours.

 

They would go on road trip.

 

Dahyun had an old truck her father had bought her, the back covered with stickers Chaeyoung and she had brought back from their different trips across the country, their art visit, zoos, anything. It was colorful and Dahyun liked to call it a mobile memory. Liked to think about how important memories followed her wherever she would go to.

 

She parked in front of Momo’s building early on a friday morning. It would be a lie to say that she wasn’t anxious about the whole plan. She didn’t know how Momo would react, wasn’t even sure she would accept.

 

She nervously pushed the front door open. It was old and no one had bothered to repair it, so you could enter the place like it was a mill. The elevator, of course, was not working either. She stepped on the first step on the stairs before stopping herself. What if doing this was a mistake - the feeling of her phone buzzing in her pocket stopped her train of thoughts.

 

A text with a picture attached to it from chaeyoung. She unlocked her phone and checked the full message.

 

‘Dahyun !! stop hesitating and do it, you loser xx’

The picture was a selfie of younger girl sticking her tongue out - Dahyun noticed a flying pillow at the back of the pic, being thrown by who seemed to be an angry Sana. she didn’t know what caused her bestfriend’s girlfriend to do that, and she made a simple mental note to ask once she would come back from the trip. Somehow, Chaeyoung was as good to know when Dahyun needed help as she was good to annoy her girlfriend.

She took a deep breath and began to climb the stairs. She softly knocked on Momo’s dorr, knowing well that would not wake the older girl up. She was an heavy sleeper. But to her surprise, the door opened after a few seconds.

 

Momo was half hiding behind the door and gave a tired smile to Dahyun when she realized who was standing at her doorstep. She gestured for her friend to come in with a nod, and Dahyun obliged.

 

The place was messy, something Dahyun was not used to see. She loved going to Momo’s place for her snacks and how comfortable the place always was. She didn’t speak up about it and just observed Momo sigh and lay back down on the couch like she was surely previously doing.

 

The purple haired girl walked straight to the kitchen and grabbed a trash bag, began to quickly throw what had been left on the floor. She hurriedly put books back in their place, the chairs, the pillows. Opened the windows wide, made the bed, under her friend’s gaze. She bumped her head on the dining table when she tried to reach something under, and felt a hand on her shoulder.

 

“It’s fine, Dahyun. Stop. surely you didn’t come for that ?” Momo’s voice sounded a bit rougher than usual and she spoke with a very lazy tone. “Come on, get up. Should i dress up, or something ? are we leaving ? I saw your truck by the window.”

 

“Hm. wear something comfortable, we’re going on a road trip.”

 

Momo stayed quiet and Dahyun felt shy under the tired but still intimidating girl’s gaze. The Japanese girl rubbed her eyes before moving going to her bedroom. Dahyun heard the muffled sounds and she guessed her friend was getting her stuff ready. She waited patiently on the couch.

 

A magazine on the coffee table caught her attention and she quickly shoved it inside her bag before Momo came back. They left the flat together, Momo looking somewhat a bit happier, Dahyun a bit less stressed.

 

--

 

“Where are we going first, captain ?”

 

Momo was laying on the back seats, covered with a blanket, watching Dahyun driving the truck, her hands mindlessly playing with a puzzle game someone had forgotten in the truck. The purple haired girl answered that would grab something to eat first, stop at a dinner, something like that. The rest would be a surprise,revealed when it would be time. Momo nodded and put her full attention on the toy in her hands.

 

The silent between them was a bit tense, mostly because Dahyun had a lot in her mind, questions she wanted to ask, and Momo because she wanted to tell her friend about everything but was feeling too bad to do so. The Japanese girl eventually managed to fall asleep, something she hadn’t been able to do since a few nights back. The soft mouvements of the truck, the light rain that had just started pouring and the low sound of the news on the radio Dahyun was listening to had set the mood.

 

Cold air hitting her face woke her up not long after. She shivered and blinked slowly, taking in the fact that she was sleeping in Dahyun’s truck. She felt a hand ran on her cheek and faced the owner of the cold fingers.

 

Dahyun was looking at her with a slightly worried face, but the frown disappeared from her face the second Momo gave her a small smile.

 

“I’m sorry to wake up you up, but i found a nice looking dinner.” she took a step back and turned her gaze away from Momo. “i looked it up online, it has good reviews and there are not much people. Are you hungry ?”

 

Truth to be told, she was not, but Dahyun looked happy with what she had found and she thought that she would have to eat more than snacks at some point. She wrapped the blanket around herself, sat up and quickly put her shoes back on before joining Dahyun outside the truck.

 

They made their way to the dinner, and Dahyun found them a nice spot inside, on the corner, and Momo made herself comfortable on the red puffy seats. She let her friends order as she watched the cars on the road, counting the the blue ones, betting to herself that she would not see a yellow one - oh, nevermind.

 

She could see Dahyun fidgeting from the corner of her eye. She wished she could make the girl stop feeling uncomfortable but, for now, she didn’t know how to. She felt uncomfortable with herself too, she didn’t how to take care of it.

 

Their food arrived, and if Momo had been living in a cartoon, a lightbulb would have appeared above her head. She grabbed the plate of pancakes Dahyun had gotten her, cut a small piece and brought the fork towards Dahyun’s mouth.

 

Dahyun froze. She didn’t really like pancakes, and only got some for a friend. If she could, she would have gladly refused to eat some, but could she really refuse getting  fed by the person that mattered the most in her life ? she opened and let Momo do what she wanted.

 

Even if she didn’t like it much, Dahyun would say that the pancakes were good. Way better than what her friends would cook, that was sure. She gave thumbs up to Momo as she munched on the piece of food, and felt the uneasy feeling leave her chest a bit when Momo gave her a warm smile. It had been a while.

 

They ate once again in silence, the occasional horning of the cars outside and the new clients coming in being the only distractions of their little bubble.