three.

the you in me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That whole story was so ridiculous, and the simple fact that he was actually doing what Wonho asked him to made it even crazier. Changkyun was not his manager, not officially, not yet. But he knew there was no way he could have allowed himself to reject any of Wonho's requests. The next morning was going to be a very important day: he was going back to the company and sign the damn contract. What would have happened if Wonho spoke to the company about him in bad terms? He couldn't let that happen. Not now that he finally succeded in something he really wanted to achieve, not after all the efforts Minhyuk and Kihyun put in helping him.

He was going to play the role of the delivery guy if he had to, and so he waited for Wonho to send him the restaurant location before reaching for his jacket. The idol sent him a text message right after, stating that he called the restaurant himself so that Changkyun was left with nothing much to do then go picking up his order. Changkyun knew he had to tell Kihyun and Minhyuk before doing anything else: those two were busy preparing their martinis to celebrate him and he had to face them and tell them he had to leave so suddenly. He felt sorry, but he still preferred to tell the truth.

He walked to the kitchen and found his friends near the sink, Minhyuk holding the bottle of tequila and Kihyun pouring the triple sec in the three glasses.

«I'm telling you, that's too much!» Minhyuk yelled. He was standing with his chest only an inch away from Kihyun's shoulder and Changkyun was sure he could discern the panic in his flatmate's eyes.

«It's - it's the right amount... would you please take a step back? You're crowding me, Lee Minhyuk,» Kihyun replied, trying his best to ignore the jitters in his own voice. He closed the bottle of triple sec and put it away, and that was when he finally noticed Changkyun standing at the kitchen's door.

«Kyun, what is it? Has the company contacted you again?» He asked as he swatted away Minhyuk's arm which was trying to find its place around his shoulders.

Changkyun bit onto his inner cheek and looked away for a moment just to avoid his friends' eyes as he was going to speak.

«Sort of. Wonho called me,» he said and somehow managed to make it sound like a confession. He dared to lure his eyes away from the floor, and found the other two with gaping mouths.

«He called you? Wonho? Like, on your cellphone? With his own cellphone that is probably more expensive than my beloved Gucci slippers?» Minhyuk's eyes were enlightened with excitement. He put the away the bottle of tequila and made his way to Changkyun instead.

«What did he tell you? Oh my gosh, this is getting so unreal that I'm scared someone's going to pinch my cheek and wake me up!» He exclaimed and straight away enclosed Changkyun in a tight hug.

«He said he wants to meet me,» Changkyun struggled to say. He had Minhyuk's hair all over his face. «Something about “introducing ourselves properly”, y'know.»

He lied, obviously. As much as he wanted to tell them the truth, he knew that he wasn't going to talk about the real reason why Wonho called him. That would've been too disparaging for himself and clearly not thrilling for the others. Not for Kihyun, especially.

«That's strange. Aren't you going to meet tomorrow anyway?» Kihyun spoke up, staring at him with a perplexed look.

Changkyun felt a strong heat hitting his whole body, from the bottom to the top, and Minhyuk who was still glued to him was definitely not helping. Kihyun obviously had a point, but Changkyun still managed to find an answer to go off with.

«I know right? He probably prefers to meet alone, so that we can talk more freely... the CEO and the rest of the staff are all going to be there tomorrow, too.» He replied and felt like that was the right answer to catch his flatmate off-guard.

But Kihyun couldn't be all relaxed just yet.

«Okay then. But how did he get your number? Did you give it to him?» He asked.

«No, I didn't. He told me he copied it from my resume on his own.» Changkyun replied. At least he didn't lie this time. Maybe that was too much information?

A brief moment of awkward silence followed, but Kihyun was quick enough to break it and pulled out an expression that was verging on utter disgust.

«He's a creep,» he whispered to himself.

«He's so whipped!» Minhyuk chirped, lifting his head from Changkyun's shoulder with a snap. The younger thanked his own reflexes for dodging it just in time.

«I have to go now, you can have your martinis and I promise I'll be back as quick as possible to celebrate with you...» Changkyun pressed his own lips together in a nervous smile. He glanced at Kihyun. «...is it okay?»

«It's your new job we're talking about, right? Of course you have to go,» Kihyun said and shrugged nonchalantly before turning on his feet to face the kitchen. «Just, make sure to call us when you're about to come back.» He added.

Changkyun smiled and nodded.

«Deal,» he murmured. «I'll see you guys later.»

He was about to walk away when Minhyuk grabbed him by the wrist and fastly pulled him closer to whisper into his ear.

«We're both proud of you, baby.» He said with such a sweet tone that Changkyun thought his heart could melt from one second to the other.

«Thank you, Minhyuk-hyung,» He whispered back, softly knocking their heads together before waving at him and making his way to the main door.

«But don't you dare to come back tonight if things get juicy! You got it, Daniel?» Obviously Minhyuk had to come back to his senses and make such a remark before Changkyun could even open the door. Also, he had this weird habit of calling him by his english name every once in a while. So 'Daniel' turned around and glared at him in disbelief.

«Hyung!»

«What! I have a seventh sense and that's all for the queer things,» Minhyuk protested, swinging his dressing gown with a hand and putting the other on his waist.

But then, Kihyun's voice floated from the kitchen.

«You have only one sense and that's stupidity! Now bring your back in the kitchen!» He yelled, and Minhyuk's reaction was so funny that it was hard for Changkyun to hide his laugh.

Minhyuk was always complaining about Kihyun constantly snapping and nagging at him but Changkyun knew, oh he knew so damn well how much the other actually enjoyed it. He remembered clearly that one time when Minhyuk, in a half drunk, half sleep-deprived state, confessed how much he loved and craved for Kihyun's attentions. All of that only in Changkyun's presence of course, and the younger promised not to talk about it. He promised on his favorite sci-fi books and Fall Out Boy album and that was enough for him to keep his mouth shut.

Taking advantage of the situation, Changkyun managed to sneak out the door and rushed to the elevator. His car, a modest, pitch black sport car branded Ford Mustang was waiting for him in the parking lot. Despite it being a very good car, he'd usually avoid driving it too often. That's mostly because there were lots of memories attached to that car: the day his parents bought it for him, as a “present” for another one of his excellent grades. Those times he'd drive around Boston with his father, the latter using the excuse of “spending more time together” when Changkyun knew damn well they were just going to meet the umpteenth business man he was going to be introduced to.

He could've gone on and on about the reasons why he didn't actually like to remember about his life in Boston, but he still went into the car and closed the door, leaving all the memories out of it.

He clicked on the map app on his phone and entered the restaurant location and it turned out that it wasn't too far from there.

“Well, that at least,” Changkyun thought. He inhaled as much air as possible, exhaled it slowly and closed his eyes for a few seconds. He was tired, mentally more than physically, and that was going to be a very long night.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The place Wonho sent him to was nothing more than a small, traditional ramen restaurant. With the request coming from such a famous idol, Changkyun expected at the very least to walk into a fancy restaurant in the nerve center of Gangnam, but the address he followed took him in a narrow street in the suburb of the district.

He began to wonder if Wonho sent him the wrong address, but that was definitely a ramen restaurant so it couldn't be just a coincidence. Also, the smell coming out the opened door was really good. Regardless of it being the right place or not, he could've still taken advantage of the situation and enjoyed a good meal. He blamed his rare yet still present clumsiness for forgetting the lunch box Kihyun made for him in that waiting room.

«Okay, let's do this thing,» he whispered with a soft sigh. He looked around himself for god knows what reason, as if he needed to be fully aware of his surroundings and only then he walked into the restaurant.

The inside turned out to be pretty small too, just as expected. There were nothing more than eight, no, nine tables and they were all occupied. Customers seemed to be enjoying their food and the smell of that clearly good ramen got so intense that Changkyun could feel his stomach growling, giving him strong cramps. He faked a cough in the desperate attempt to cover the embarrassing sound.

«Good evening, young man!» The old man at the counter greeted him. His accent was different from any other Changkyun ever heard, but as soon as he noticed the Kanjis hanging from the ceiling he assumed that the man was actually Japanese.

He was wearing a funny dark gray apron, with traditional japanese paintings printed all over it. He was chubby, short, and almost looked like a cartoon character. Changkyun hinted a smile and bowed.

«Good evening, sir. I came to pick up an order. My... friend, Wonho, should've called you earlier.» He said and walked closer to the counter, then he rested his elbows and crossed his arms over the wooden surface.

The old man looked at him with a frown and put his hands at his waist. His chubby belly bounced for a moment.

«Wonho?» He repeated in a whisper and took a few seconds for himself and his thoughtful hums before snapping his fingers and exclaimed: «Oh, right. Hoseok!»

“Right. Of course he'd use his real name for such things.” Changkyun thought and mentally slapped himself for being so simple-minded. Then he nodded.

«Yes, Hoseok. I came to pick up his order.»

«It's almost ready!» The old man replied, glancing towards the kitchen. He was gone only for a brief moment to greet a customer and when he came back he asked: «Do you work at the company? Even if, I have to say, you're pretty good-looking young man! Are you one of Hoseok's friends, perhaps? An idol?»

Changkyun blinked his now widened eyes in shock. Did that man just mistake him for an idol? Moreover, it really seemed like he knew Wonho pretty well. Now Changkyun could understand why the latter referred to that place as his 'favorite'.

«I'm no idol, sir. But I'll start working at the company soon. I've just been hired as Won – Hoseok's, new manager. Also, thank you for your compliment.» He bowed again. Was it okay for him to share such information? He really hoped that he was going to learn something more about what he was and was not allowed to say or do in his new role.

The old man pursed his lips and he looked quite funny. All of his features did, to be honest. Kind of. Changkyun didn't want to seem rude so he forced himself not to smile. He just waited for an answer. The old man looked surprised but he still nodded and hummed soundly.

«His new manager, hm? I see. » He kept nodding his head, slowly and unconsciously maybe, then he gestured Changkyun to have a seat. The order was going to take some other few minutes anyway. «Would you like something to eat as you're waiting? If you've never tried my ramen... well, this is the perfect time because the best shiitake mushrooms arrived just this morning!»

He was a very kind and welcoming owner. It felt good and Changkyun gladly sat on the stool. He was hungry, for sure, and he was also curious to taste Wonho's favorite ramen so he smiled and said:

«Yes, please. But I'd like to take it away too, if it's not too much trouble.» Changkyun thought that it would have been easier and quicker for him to just bring the whole order with himself to the company. If he had to be the delivery guy, he at the very least wanted to enjoy his meal with no rush.

«It's no trouble at all. And don't worry about anything, it's my treat this time!» The old man grinned with swelling chest full of pride.

Changkyun's jaw dropped in disbelief.

«But, sir, there's no need! Please let me pay for it,» he said. He couldn't believe that man was being so nice to him when they just met.

But the owner wasn't willing to listen and he immediately shook his head.

«You're Hoseok's new manager, right? Consider this as a “welcome to the family” gift. That guy comes here almost four times a week, with his ex manager too, so I'm sure we're going to see each other pretty often.»

“So, Wonho used to go out eating with his ex manager too,” it was almost like he couldn't stop taking notes in his head. If they used to eat together then they should've been in good terms, right? Changkyun wondered what may have happened to make Wonho's ex manager to quit his job.

«I understand. No objections then. Thanks again, sir.» He smiled again as he shyly dropped his head to stare at his own knees. He wasn't used to deal with such warm people and his not so expansive nature wasn't of much help neither.

«Enough with this “sir”, young man! You can call me Hideki-san from now on.» The man protested as he stretched one of his chubby arms to leave strong pats on Changkyun's shoulder.

“Hideki-san,” Changkyun chuckled softly to himself. “Now he really reminds me of a cartoon character.”

«Well then, nice to meet you, Hideki-san. I'm Changkyun,» he introduced himself and bowed for the third time within ten minutes since he arrived. He liked that place already.

«Changkyun, it's my first time hearing such a name here in Korea!» Hideki murmured, then he quickly turned his head to what seemed to be the door leading to the main kitchen. «Add another bowl of ramen in Hoseok's order, be quick!» He shouted and his tone immediately changed as he did.

«Yes, you could say it’s kind of a… unusual, name,» Changkyun admitted with a light shrug then looked down once again, staring at his fingertips playing with each other. He looked thoughtful as he was wondering if it was okay for him to ask the question that just popped up into his mind. But there was nothing wrong with it, right? Curiosity killed the cat, but it never made it the culprit. He lifted his head and asked: «So, Hideki-san. You and Hoseok have known each other a while? He told me this is his favorite restaurant.»

It felt strange, to call Wonho by his real name. Was he even allowed to do that? It seemed like there couldn’t be anything wrong with it yet it felt like he was stepping out the line. He should’ve asked Wonho later. As a matter of fact, Hideki seemed much more comfortable by using it.

The old man nodded and bent over to rest his arms on the counter and give a closer look at the younger. It was in that precise moment that Changkyun noticed the broth stain on his shirt, around the neck area. The apron didn’t really do much, apparently.

«Sure thing! I’ve known that boy since the very first days he had started to be a trainee. He looked like a twig with eyes, let me say that. I’m still surprised by how much his body has changed,» you could notice Hideki was holding a laugh as he spoke. His eyes seemed to be smiling together with his lips. «He’s always loved ramen. I’ve never met someone who’s so obsessed with it!»

Changkyun pressed his lips shut with an amused expression: that man really called the oh-so-famous Wonho a “twig with eyes”. He shouldn’t have been laughing at it, not even mentally, but he failed miserably.

«He’s a very nice boy,» Hideki added, with a much more calm and soft tone this time. «You may be nervous now that you’re going to be his new manager but trust me, there’s no need. Once you’ve gained his trust, Hoseok is going to cherish you and work even harder than he already does. Do you know that he even barely sleeps, just to make sure he’s practiced and composed enough songs? I lost counts of how many times I’ve told him this isn’t good for his health, but does he listen? Oh no. You’re going to have a hard time with that… I’m sorry, I’m rambling. It happens quite often, you know?»

Hideki was smiling and scratching the back of his right ear in embarrassment, but Changkyun thought there was no need. He was enjoying every second of that conversation like a school girl craving for gossip. That unexpected evening trip was surely helping him to find out new aspects of himself.

«Not at all, Hideki-san. Don’t worry about it. Besides, you’re right: I’m honestly nervous about this whole manager thing. It’s my first time applying for a similar job and Hoseok is indeed a very well known artist. I just think that I should know as much as I can, about him especially, so that we can cooperate smoothly and establish a decent relationship. Manager and idol should be a team, am I right?» Changkyun has never had a very close relationship with his father. Not many “heart touching” conversation between son and dad or such, but he truly believed that talking to Hideki felt pretty similar.

And Hideki looked satisfied by what Changkyun just said and stretched his right arm to give intense and warm pats behind the younger’s shoulder. Changkyun almost lost his balance because of it but quickly managed to grab onto the stool for dear life.

«I like you, Changkyun boy! A team, that’s just right!» Hideki’s weird accent got even stronger as he laughed loudly, inevitably gaining the attention of customers who were smiling at the funny scene. But then Hideki slowed down, until his face relaxed and he bent even closer, as if he was about to say something much more confidential.

«Trust me when I say that this mentality is going to take you a long way. And now that I have you right here in front of my eyes, with you speaking like this, I can tell you’re the right person for that job. Someone like you is what Hoseok needs, Changkyun boy.»

“Someone Hoseok needs?”

Changkyun looked at the old man with a frown and asked:

«What do you mean?»

And maybe, just maybe, that was the moment Hideki realized that there was no need to tell that young man everything at once. If Changkyun really wanted to build a sincere relationship with Hoseok, then it would have been much more efficient for them to discover something about each other with time, no rush, step by step.

«Nothing too serious, don’t worry about that. Just… make sure to take care of him, okay? Every time Hoseok comes here it seems to me that he’s got a lot to say. Constantly living under the spotlight must be stressful, don’t you think?»

Changkyun wanted to say something, but he felt like he wasn’t in the right position to. Not yet. He simply nodded and smiled softly as Hideki walked away to finally take his order and put it all in a plastic bag. The man smiled widely as he put some extra side dishes inside of it and then handed it to the younger.

«Here you go, Changkyun boy. And as I said, it’s all my treat!» Hideki exclaimed, patting the other’s shoulder one last time, his touch strong and firm.

Changkyun coughed, almost convinced that he was going to get a contusion out of it and took the plastic bag in his hands.

«I really don’t know how to thank you, Hideki-san,» he said. He would have never expected such kindness and warmth coming from someone he’s never met before.

Hideki-san was, indeed, a good person.

«Please allow me to pay you back in the future,» Changkyun added

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter