Dead Season

Craved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dara!”

“Mommy!” the triplets screamed in unison.

Dara her side and saw a zombie coming in closer. It was about to attack her but Jae used his weapon to smash the zombie’s head as he pulled Dara behind his back. Hyori, on the other hand, was struggling as a zombie cornered her on the wall. She fought harder to avoid getting bitten. Just then a bunch of zombies were going up to the main bridge way. Jae smashed another zombie and he yelled at his wife.

“Dara! Take the kids away from here. Go down the other end.

Jae then hit another zombie as Dara put the kids behind her as they moved backwards slowly.

“Jae! I can’t leave you here!”

“Just go! Save the kids!”

Jae then helped Hyori by pushing the zombie away from her and then smashing its head as blood spilled in the air. Seconds later, Minzy came running outside to check the chaos. She didn’t notice the zombie beside her.

“Minzy! Watch out!” Dara screamed as Minzy turned just to see a zombie about to attack her.

Fortunately, Min came out and pushed the zombie away from her. Min fought hard with the zombie as Hyori pulled Minzy away from the chaos. They stood next to Dara and the kids. Jae was busy fighting the incoming zombies on the other side, but somehow, they kept coming in large numbers.

“Run!” Min said as he pushed another one off the stairs. “Run away from here!”

Thunder, Junsu and Jun arrived in time to see the chaos. Dara hugged his brother tightly.

“Oh my God! You’re safe!” Dara sobbed.

“You have to go down over there. Take the kids with you. There’s a van waiting. Go now!” Thunder instructed her sister.

Dara took one last look at Jae and Thunder before she took her kids and ran on the other side of the bridge. Hyori took Hayi and Minzy’s hands as the ran as well. Minzy didn’t want to leave. It took Hyori a lot to dragged her away from the bridge.

“Min! I can’t leave Min, Hyori!”

“We have to go somewhere safe. They’ll follow us,” Hyori said as she tightly held on to Minzy’s hand.

Back in the bridge way, Junsu helped Jae in smashing the zombies head on the other side of the foot bridge. While Jun, Thunder and Min tried to stop the zombies from coming after them on the other end. It was smashing heads after another. Blood was everywhere.

Meanwhile, in the gas station everyone’s was anxious. They heard the yelling and commotion but they were unaware of what was truly happening up there. Yunho was in the driver’s seat ready to drive away, if needed. Hoony and Mino were waiting outside just for their friends. Lisa opened the van and got out.

“What’s taking them so long?” Lisa asked in a worried voice.

“I hope they’re okay,” Rose added as she looked at the stairs.

“Can we do something to help them?” Jisoo asked no one.

“They should be here by now,” Hayi said as she looked the same way.

“I don’t like this. I have to check it out,” Bom said as she got out of the van.

Yunho went out as well and stopped her.

“No! You stay here. We can’t all go up there. We don’t know what’s happening,” Yunho said to her.

“That’s why I want to see. My boyfriend is up there as well as his family. I want to make sure he’s okay,” Bom replied in frustration.

“I understand but we have to wait here. You don’t want Junsu to worry about you. He’s already trying to survive up there,” Yunho said. “I hate waiting here, too. But we have to wait for them. We have to stick to the plan. A lot of things went wrong if we don’t stick to the plan.”

That brought back the memory of them surviving in that party store where the guys and girls decided to look for food that eventually cost other peoples’ lives.

“I really don’t like this,” Bom said as she walked in frustration. “God, please make them safe.”

A seconds later, a zombie suddenly grabbed Lisa’s arm and it tried to bit her. She dropped her weapon and screamed as she struggled to pull her hand away from the zombie’s mouth. Jisoo tried to pull the zombie away from Lisa but another zombie came in and bit her on the neck. Bom screamed and moved back from the van. Hoony used his weapon to hit the zombie in the head as blood spilled from the window of the van and then went on to kill the zombie pulling Lisa’s arm.

“Jisoo!” Rose screamed as she saw on the window when Jisoo fell on the ground as the zombie bit her. Other zombies came crawling in to get a bite of her. “Jisoo!!!”

“!” Hoony yelled as he tried to smash the zombies away from Lisa and Jisoo.

Lisa cried out as she saw Jisoo being eaten. She went hysterical.

“Jisoo! No! No! No!”

“Lisa, stay back!” Hoony yelled out.

Mino, on the other hand, closed the van to keep Rose and Hayi safe inside. Two zombies came their way on opposite sides. Yunho saw it near Bom and he ran towards her.

“Behind my back!” Yunho yelled to Bom as she ran behind him. He immediately smashed the zombie’s head as it fell on the ground.

Mino then hit another zombie and Hoony helped him.

“Lisa, get inside the van!” Yunho screamed. “Bom, go! Take Lisa with you.”

Rose opened the van and let the girls entered as the 3 men protected the outside. There were zombies coming in close.

“Where the are they?” Hoony asked.

“We can’t stop all of these zombies!” Mino said as he gripped his weapon tightly and looked around.

Just then women came running down the stairs with kids in tow. But before they could reach the van, a bunch of zombies came around on both sides of the van. The kids, puppy and women screamed. Mino smashed heads as Hoony helped him. Yunho took care of the other side. But the zombies were gaining on them. Dara looked around and saw a steel pipe on the ground, she took it.

“Hyori, hold the kids!” Dara ordered as she approached the zombies coming in on Yunho’s side. She swung the pipe hard and the head of the zombie bled.

The kids screamed from fear. Bom opened the van and screamed out for the kids.

“Minguk! Manse! Daehan! Come here! Everyone,come inside!”

“Minguk! Manse! Daehan!” Hayi yelled out.

The kids heard them and Hyori saw them as well. She pushed the kids towards the van. When she got them inside, she turned and noticed Minzy missing.

“Minzy! Where is she?” Hyori screamed as she looked around.

“Who?” Bom asked.

“The young woman we’re with!”

“I don’t know. I think she went back up,” Bom said.

“Oh no!” Hyori said as she looked at the stairs then she faced Bom. “Lock this door.”

“How about you?!” Bom asked her.

“I need to help them.”

“You’ll need this then,” Bom said as she gave her weapon to her.

When Bom closed the van, Hyori helped on Dara’s side as the both smashed one zombie at a time. Mino was having a hard time since he was battling not just one but 2 zombies coming at him. Same with Hoony. He was being attacked by several zombies as he cried for help. Hyori turned and she saw that the others men were struggling so she helped as she smashed some zombies’ heads on their side. Mino ran towards his friend to help him.

Back at the bridge way, Minzy ran back to check at Min. She saw them still fighting the zombies but only on one side. She checked the other footbridge and it was empty of zombies. She ran towards them.

“Min!”

Min heard her voice so he turned.

“Minzy, what are you doing here? Go join Dara and the kids!”

“I don’t want to go without you,” Minzy said in a worried voice. “The others are being attacked at the gas station too.”

“What?!” Jae screamed as he moved back. “What did you say?”

“There are zombies at the gas station, too,” Minzy repeated.

“! I have to go down! My wife and kids are down there. I sent them down there!” Jae said as he ran towards the other end of the bridge way.

“We have to move back to the other of the bridge,” Thunder yelled out as he smashed zombies one after another.

“Yeah!”

As the men slowly moved back, a couple of zombies were going up on the other footbridge. When Minzy turned, she saw them coming after her. Her eyes went big as she screamed. Min saw them the minute they reached the top of the foot bridge. He ran and yelled out for Minzy.

“Minzy!”

Minzy was left paralyzed as she saw the first zombie coming after her. She put her arm on her face and waited for the pain that might come. But the moment the zombie was just a few inches from her, it was swept away by something big. When she opened her eyes, she saw Min throwing himself at the zombies pathway.

“Min!”

Min successfully pushed the zombie away from Minzy but another zombie came rushing towards him and bit him in the process. He screamed in pain as blood oozed on the left side of his shoulder. Minzy cried out as she saw him bled.

“No! Min!”

“Ahhhh!” Min yelled in pain as another one bit him. He looked at Minzy. “Save yourself, baby. Stay with Dara. Stay with her.”

“Min! No! I’m sorry! Min!”

“It’s okay, baby. Just go!” Min said as he tried his best to not feel the pain. He mustered all his strength and pushed some of the zombies a few feet away from him. He looked at Thunder on the other side of the footbridge who saw him already bitten by zombies. “Please help Minzy. She’s pregnant. Please take her to Dara.”

Thunder looked at him and nodded. Min looked at Minzy one last time.

“Take care of our baby, Minzy. Take care of yourself. I love you.”

“Min…” Minzy cried out.

Min saw that the zombies were closing in again so this time he screamed as he charged toward them, throwing himself at the process towards the zombies and just like that zombies on the stairs fell down with him like pins being hit in one swoop by a balling ball.

“Min!!!!!! No!!!!! Nooooooooo!”

Thunder knew that it was over for Min so he grabbed MInzy who was hysterical and pulled her out of the place.

“Come on. We have to go!”

“I can’t! Min needs help!”

“He’s gone! He’s not coming back! We have to go!”

“No!”

“You heard him. I have to keep you safe! For him. For your baby!” Thunder said as he pulled her. “Come on!”

Thunder dragged her as Junsu and Jun moved backwards with them as they killed zombies that were attacking them. Minzy was crying nonstop so Thunder didn’t have a choice but to drag her to the other end of the footbridge. Just as the reached the other end, Jun yelled out.

“Take her down first, Thunder! We’ll try to stop the zombies from following us. We’ll make a run for it in the van. Make sure it’s clear for us.”

“Yeah!”

At the gas station, Jae saw Dara fighting alongside Yunho on the other end while Mino, Hoony and another woman on the other side. When he saw a zombie going after Dara, he ran towards it and smashed its head hard. He then pulled Dara on his back.

“Stay close to me, baby,” Jae said as he smashed another one that came. “Where are the kids?”

“They’re in the van,” Dara answered as she waited for a zombie coming at her end.

“We are all these zombies coming from! They’re too many of them!” Yunho screamed out.

“Baby, go to the driver’s seat of the first van. Drive it out of here. Go to the freeway until its safe. We’ll take the 2nd van and we will follow you in the freeway,” Jae ordered as he killed another zombie. “If you can’t stop anymore just go directly to the cabin. We will meet there.”

Dara understood what her husband was trying to stay. She immediately ran towards the driver’s seat as she screamed for Hyori. Hyori then followed her inside the van and they drove out of the gas station, hitting zombies on their way out. This gave Yunho and Jae a chance to help to clear the other side for zombies.

“Yunho! Take the driver’s seat. Open the van. We’ll wait for the others to get in then we’ll make a run for it,” Jae said as Yunho nodded.

Just then Thunder and Minzy were going down the stairs. Jun and Junsu were still moving backwards as they smashed and killed a few more zombies following them. Thunder opened the van and put a hysterical Minzy inside it. Then he helped the guys in killing more zombies.

“Be ready, guys! As soon as Jun and Junsu come down here we will make a run for it,” Jae said to them.

In a matter of a minute, Junsu and Jun were running down the stairs.

“Now!” Jae screamed as he hit one last zombie in the head.

Mino and Hoony did the same and they ran towards the van. Jae and Thunder followed and Junsu and Jun jumped in and locked the van. Yunho started the van and rolled their way out of there, hitting a few more zombies that crossed their path.

The men were exhausted. All of them were breathing hard. Arms sore and their clothes were splattered with blood. Jun didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Jun dropped his weapon and grabbed his head. Jae breathed out hard as he slumped on his seat. Thunder wiped his sweat and the blood on him. Mino cried a bit as well as Hoony. Minzy was not as hysterical as before but she was truly out of it.

Yunho kept driving and was on the lookout for the vans were the kids and the women were riding. As the passed the freeway, the van was eerily silent. It was as if everybody lost the strength to speak at all.

On the other van, Dara was driving nonstop but she pushed the brake hard when she realized there were no zombies trailing them anymore. She didn’t want to keep driving and lose the other van. The people with her were silent, too. She checked her rearview mirror and noticed that her triplets were hugging Hayi and Bom. Haru was hugging Hyori while Rose and Lisa were crying and quietly talking at the back.

“Why did we stop?” Hyori asked her.

“We have to wait for them,” Dara said as she checked her sideview mirror to see if the other van was visible already.

“I hope they’re okay,” Bom said worriedly as she hugged Minguk and the puppy by her side. “I haven’t seen Junsu since he went upstairs to help you.”

“Wait, where’s Minzy?” Dara asked as she turned around.

“I lost her,” Hyori said sadly. “The girls said they saw her running back to the bridge way. Maybe going after Min. I’m not sure what happen after that because I was already helping the boys.”

“What if they need our help?” Hayi asked them. “Don’t you think we should go back and check.”

“We have to wait and trust them to be here,” Dara said in a comfort voice. “I trust Jae when he said he’ll follow us. They’ll be here.”

“It’s getting dark. Do you think we can still make it to the cabin?” Bom asked Dara.

“It’s not that far. But if they don’t arrive now, it will be dark soon. I don’t think it’s safe to go there when it’s dark. We have to find a place to sleep and just go there during the day,” Dara answered.

Hayi looked at the freeway. There was no place to hide. It was an open road and no buildings or houses nearby.

“I don’t think that will be easy. We’re on a freeway,” Hayi said.

“I know. But let’s wait for them.”

Half an hour later, Dara saw a van moving directly towards them. She got out of the driver’s seat and flagged them down. Hyori opened the van and did the same thing. Yunho spotted them instantly and slowly stopped behind their van. The men went out of the van the same time the women did.

Dara ran directly to Jae and hugged him tightly.

“I missed you!” Dara said as she kissed her husband on the lips.

“I missed you too!” Jae replied as he placed his hands on her face to see. “Are you okay? Injured?”

“I’m okay.”

“Daddy! Daddy!” the triplets screamed as the ran towards him.

Jae bent down and hugged all his sons. He kissed them on their foreheads.

“You still have this puppy?” Jae asked his son, Minguk.

“I can’t leave him, daddy! He found Daehan and Haru,” Minguk said as he hugged his puppy beside him.

Jae smiled as he tousled the hair of his son. Manse kissed Jae.

“I missed you, Daddy!”

“Me too,” Daehan said. “Mommy and I are so scared.”

“I’m here now. Don’t worry. Daddy will protect you all and mommy,” Jae assured them.

Meanwhile, Thunder and Hayi were hugging as well.

“Are you okay?” Hayi asked.

Thunder smiled and nodded.

“You look tired,” Hayi observed.

“I am but I’m okay knowing you’re safe.”

Bom and Junsu were doing the same thing. Not minding the others, they kept kissing which made Jae rolled his eyes.

“Hey now…there are kids here,” Jae teased as he patted his brothers back.

Junsu smiled at his brother then at Bom.

Hyori was seating on the floor of van while Haru was on her left. They were appreciating the break. Yunho and Jun were both standing looking at the sky and trying to calm their nerves.

Thunder then approached his sister. He told him that Minzy lost someone in the bridge way. Dara immediately knew it was Min so she went towards the other van and saw Minzy at the back, crying. She went inside and sat with her. Then she hugged her and Minzy hugged her back as she cried.

“It’s my fault, Dara. It’s my fault. I should not have come back there! It’s my fault!”

“Shhh…no…it’s not your fault. Don’t say that. Min loves you. He will do everything for you,” Dara comforted.

“I should be the who died up there!”

“Min will not let that happen to you and the baby. He loves you both too much. Didn’t you say he was the one who wanted this pregnancy to continue even though it was an unplanned one,” Dara reminded her.

Minzy nodded and she sobbed.

“Yes, I told him back there that maybe we should terminate the pregnancy because we’re both not ready. But it’s not because I don’t want to…I just know we’re not financially ready for it,” Minzy said as she recalled that day. “He didn’t want that to happen. He hated it that I even suggested it. I didn’t want to but I was afraid of what the future will hold for us. Min was always the one who kept me from making the wrong decisions all the time. And now…he’s gone because of me.”

“Oh Minzy…don’t think like that. Be strong for the baby. Min would want that. He saved you so you can keep living and give your baby a chance to live,” Dara said to her.

“This is no place for a baby to raise, Dara…It’s not safe,” Minzy cried out.

“There’s always hope. All we need is a safe place to stay for good. Don’t be disheartened, Minzy. As long as we’re still alive, we should keep living and hope for good things to come. No matter what.”

MInzy cried out as she hugged Dara inside. Her cries were heard by the people outside. They were saddened by what happened. Most of them didn’t know who Min was but the fact that he was the lone guy who kept the women and kids alive, he had their utmost respect.

Jun cleared his throat to attract everyone’s attention.

“I know we’re, um, trying to calm ourselves here and collecting our thoughts or something…but I think we really need to go. The sun is setting in less than 2 hours. We still have to travel towards the cabin.”

The men nodded and understood what he meant.

“Thunder, you drive the first van. You take Yunho, Hoon, Mino, Rose, Lisa and Hayi with you. The rest will be on the other van with me,” Jae instructed. “Go directly towards the cabin. No matter what happen on the road up there, don’t stop, just go. Be cautious of your surroundings.”

Thunder nodded.

“Uh, w-wait…” Lisa said but Rose shook her arm.

“No! Lisa!” Rose pleaded.

“What is it?” Jae asked the 2 girls as the others listened.

“I, um…I can’t go with you guys.”

“What?!” Hayi asked in obvious shocked. “Why?!”

“I…uh…”

Rose scrunched up her face like she was going to cry and she turned away from Lisa.

“She was bitten,” Rose said as a tear fell down her cheek.

“When?” Dara asked as she and Minzy went out of the van.

“At the gas station, when the first zombie attacked me,” Lisa said as she rolled her sleeves and showed t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter