The End Is The Beginning Is The End

Craved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It started out as a typical Friday morning. The sun was up but wind blew cold. And in one of the condo unit in Daegu, a family was busy preparing for their day.

The Kim household was in chaos. With triplets running around the house, Dara was busy packing each of her kids’ things before they started their day. It was going to be a long day, too. Dara, a pre-school teacher and a full-time housewife, was making sure all of Manse’s things were ready. She was happy that her brother Thunder and his girlfriend Hayi were taking Manse to Lotte World for a day so she could take Daehan to the doctor for his flu shot. On the other hand, her husband Jae was going to drop Minguk to the daycare before his board meeting. After that, they were planning on meet at Dara’s parent’s house so they could leave the kids for the night while she and Jae spend time together.

It’d been a while, too.

They almost pushed for separation months after she had their triplets. Jae, a son of a hotel magnate, and her met when they were vacationing in Thailand. After a week of blissful happiness, they became inseparable. They got married a year later and then had the triplets after 2 years of blissful marriage. Unfortunately, there were setbacks since they got their hands full with the triplets. None of them knew how to become a parent, let alone to become a responsible one to 3 newborn babies. It ended up with a lot of arguments, mistakes and misunderstandings up to a point that it got too much for both of them. Dara went back to her parents along with her kids while Jae stayed at their hotel. If not for their family and friends, they wouldn’t be able to patch things up.

With the help of Dara’s parents, Jae’s grandmother and other family members, they were able settle things between them and then learned how to raise their babies together. The triplets were now in school and everything became bearable for the couple. They were proud and happy that they can handle things together without stressing each other out. It then became a habit for them to take some time away from the kids and rekindle their love for each other. It was a good thing that both of their families were making sure that the kids have someone else to watch them while the couple spent time together.

Today was that day for them. Once a month, Jae made plans for a date night without the kids around them.

However, Daehan started sneezing last night which meant Dara had to take him to the doctor for his flu shot. Since the triplets were excused in attending their daycare class for today, Dara asked her brother Thunder to babysit Manse for a few hours while Jae will take their son Minguk to the daycare because, well, Minguk loves spending time at the daycare. After that, they’ll leave their kids to Dara’s parents so they can spend some quality time with each other.

“Thunder, please check Manse’s shirt from time to time. You need to change his shirt if it he gets sweaty. And make sure he eats lunch on time and his vitamins are in his backpack,” Dara instructs.

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t worry,” Thunder says as he plays with Manse.

“Hey! are you even listening to me? Please…make sure. I don’t want him to get sick, too. I’m worried about Daehan. If not for date night that Jae has been planning for weeks, I’ll be staying by his side,” Dara says in exasperation.

“Chill out, sis. No need to cancel plans. I’m here. The fam’s waiting for them. Come on, relax.”

“Don’t worry, Dara. I’ll make sure to remind Thunder about all of it,” Hayi replied as she kissed her cheeks.

“Good to know,” Dara said as she gently slapped Thunder on the head. “You! You better take care of my son and Hayi. Don’t slack off.”

“I will,” Thunder said as he combed his hair back into place. “So we’re ready. Let’s go.”

“Wait,” Dara said as she carried her youngest son. “Be good, okay? Don’t give Aunt Hayi and Uncle Thunder a headache.”

“Yes, mommy,” Manse replied as Dara kissed his cheeks while he wiggled out.

“Come on, we’re burning daylight!” Thunder said. “Sis, you and Jae be careful.”

“We will,” Dara said as she kissed Hayi. “Hayi, watch them, okay? I trust my brother but he can be as childish as Manse at times.”

Hayi laughed.

“Yes, I will,” Hayi said. “Enjoy your date night. Well we better leave now. Those 2 can’t wait to hangout. Kisses to Daehan and Minguk. I’ll see them at your parent’s house.”

“Okay. Bye!”

Dara watched as her brother, his girlfriend and her son left the room. She then looked around the house and noticed the clutter. She started picking things up when she heard Daehan sneezing again.

“Dae, baby, are you okay? Come here,” Dara called out.

Daehan walked towards his mother. She touched his forehead and then smiled.

“Good thing you don’t have a fever. We’ll go the doctor so you can feel better,” Dara said.

“Do I have to, mommy? Can I just go with Daddy and Minguk. I don’t want to be in the hospital.”

“But you’re sneezing, baby. You need to visit your doctor,” Dara said to a pouting Daehan. “Tell you what…after your flu shot, let’s eat something good then visit Minguk and Daddy. Is that okay?”

Daehan nodded and he resumed playing with his toy.

“Mommy,” Minguk called out.

Dara checked and saw her son Minguk walking towards the kitchen.

“What is it?”

“I’m hungry,” Minguk said.

“Baby, no more food. You just had breakfast and you even ate your brother’s leftover.”

Minguk pouted and scratched his head.

“I know…but I’m still hungry.”

“Hey, no more food, kiddo,” Jae said as he walked in the kitchen obviously hearing the mother-son discussion. “I don’t want you telling me you need to poop while I drive you to the daycare.”

“I’m not going to poop, daddy.”

“Oh yes, you will. You already did that once, remember?” Jae said as he drank his coffee. “No food.”

Minguk sighed and walked away. He sat beside Daehan and as he watched his brother play.

“I don’t know where he gets his appetite,” Dara said as she laughed and side-eyed Jae.

“What? I’m a food lover but I’m not always hungry like Minguk,” Jae replied.

“Are you ready?” Dara asked as she wrapped her arms around her husband’s waist.

Jae kissed Dara on her forehead.

“Yes, babe. So I’ll see you at your parent’s house?” Jae asked.

“Yes, babe. I can’t wait for your surprise, to be honest.”

“Well, I can’t wait for tonight,” Jae said as Dara giggled.

“Isn’t today Junsu will introduce his girlfriend to your dad?” Dara asked.

Jae sighed.

“Yeah. Hopefully it will go well. Knowing my dad, he can be an .”

“I hope so. But what matters is that Junsu loves her and she loves him back, right?” Dara said.

“True. I’ll support him for whatever his decision will be. I just hope he truly knows this girl and he’s sure about her,” Jae replied. “I’m actually pretty sure she will not be accepted by my dad but hopefully I’m wrong.”

“Not accepted because she’s a waitress and a dancer at a bar? She has her reason. Some of us don’t have all the luck. She’s been alone most of her life. She needs to live. That’s how she survives all this time.”

“I know. But do you honestly think dad will accept that as a reason? Knowing him…how he is…what kind of person he is…”

Dara sighed. It was true, though. Jae’s dad can be a pain. I guess it came with being a successful hotel tycoon.

“We better go. I still have a meeting to attend. I’ll see you at your parent’s house, okay?” Jae said.

"Be safe. Drive carefully. No flirting," Dara teased.

Jae smirked and pretended to bow.

Dara nodded and kissed her husband. She then called out Minguk and helped him with his backpack and then put Daehan’s as well. The couple and their 2 children walked out of their unit towards their separate cars. Jae and Minguk waved to Dara and Daehan before leaving the parking lot.

++

In the middle of a highway traffic, Dara called her parent’s house to remind them about the plan tonight. Beside her, Daehan was busy playing his toy. On the other car beside them, a woman was looking out the glass window. At first glance, one will think she was looking at the little boy playing inside the car but she was actually lost in a trance until a hand touched her shoulder.

“Chae, don’t be sad. I don’t like seeing you sad like this,” Yoochun muttered as he watched the traffic ahead.

“I don’t like this set-up, Chun.”

“I know. I don’t like it either. But it’s not like we have a choice, Chae. I have to enlist in a few days. And you’ll have to go and take that internship in Italy so you can live your dream of becoming a fashion designer,” Yoochun said as a matter-of-factly.

Chaerin sighed. She looked at the window again and noticed the cute boy on the other car. She smiled at him when he looked at her. Then she looked back at her boyfriend.

She and Yoochun were dating since their college years. Now that Yoochun was going to enlist in the army for 2 years, she knew it will be a while before she can see him again. But that’s not all. Right after Yoochun received his letter, Chae got hers. A few months back she applied for an internship in a fashion house institute in Italy out of curiosity. She didn’t expect to get it. Yoochun convinced her to do it and so she did. But after a while, she realized that she and him will part ways for a long time. It broke her heart since they’ve never been away for long from each other since the beginning of their relationship. Her excitement became anxiety especially now that Yoochun was bringing her to the airport. It meant she’ll leave without sending him off to the military. It meant not being able to visit him every month for the next 2 years.

On the other hand, Yoochun was devastated about the fact that he and Chaerin will be away from each other for 2 years. He was so used to seeing her every single day that the idea of not even talking to her for weeks or months maybe years was breaking his heart, too. But he knew he needed to be strong for her because this was her dream. He knew this meant everything to her. All he can do was be the supportive boyfriend even though it was killing him to not see her when he takes some time off in his military duties.

“We’ll get through this, Chae,” Yoochun encouraged. “Two years may be long but we can handle this. We’ve been through much worse.”

Chaerin looked at her boyfriend with loving but sad eyes. She believed him but she was scared, too.

++

On the opposite road, cars passed by nonstop. It was a contrast to the traffic on the other side. One of the cars passing by the highway was Junsu and Bom. Junsu was the younger brother of Jae. He was going to their hotel to introduce his girlfriend to his family. He wasn’t looking forward to it knowing what his father was like, but out of respect to his grandmother and brother, he decided to bring her.

Bom, on the other hand, was beyond nervous. She’ was fidgeting since he picked her up.

“Su, can, um, can we just turn back?” Bom asked nervously.

“What? Why?” Junsu asked looking back and forth at her and on the road ahead.

“I don’t think this is a good idea. It’s too soon.”

“This is a good idea, Bom,” Junsu said. “What are you talking about? Some women demand their boyfriends to introduce them to their family as a proof that they're serious about the relationship. That’s what I’m doing now. I want them to know that I’m serious about you.”

Bom looked at him sadly.

“But…they might not like me for you,” Bom said. “They might think I’m just using you for money and…”

“What?! Are you?” Junsus asked.

“No!”

“Then why are you thinking like that? Please stop,” Junsu said as he drove. “Please, Bom.”

Junsu then slowed down the car and parked it beside the highway. He then looked at his girlfriend.

“Bom, listen to me. I don’t care whether they approve of you or not. I don’t care about that. I love you so I’m going to be with you no matter what. This is just something we both need to do and I want to get this over with. Trust me please that nothing will change if my father doesn’t approve of us. I will still be with you until the end.”

Bom teared up but then nodded her head. Junsu kissed her then started the engine of the car again. The drive continued for a few more minutes but Bom was still quiet. She was still nervous. As much as Junsu wanted to take away all her worries, he, too, was nervous of what was going to happen. He was not afraid of what his father would say to him but he was afraid for what Bom would hear from him. He didn't like her to get hurt.

++

Jae arrived at the Kim Hotel after dropping off Minguk at his favorite daycare center. He checked on his secretary for his schedule and then visited his grandmother at the top tower. After that, he talked to his dad about business. It seemed going well until his father brought the topic about Junsu and his girlfriend. His dad started telling him how much he disapproved of the relationship and continued to berate the girlfriend he has yet to meet.

Jae wasn’t new to this, though.

When he first introduced Dara to his dad, he freaked out, too. He got mad that Jae chose someone ‘beneath’ him which made Jae mad. If not for his grandmother, he probably disowned his father a long time ago. It was a good thing Dara has a big heart. She didn’t give up. She made sure that his father will soften to her. And he did after a few years. When they had the triplets, he became tolerant of her. Jae thought his dad was doing it only because he needed his grandsons not because he was finally okay with Dara and Jae’s relationship. And now with Junsu’s girl, he was sure that his father won’t be as tolerant as before especially since he learned the girl’s background.

To avoid destroying his day, Jae decided to leave the office and proceeded to the hotel’s café. He found a quiet spot to drink his coffee and reviewed some documents.

“Jae.”

Jae looked up at and he saw his friend and business associate, Jun Matsumoto.

“Jun.”

“You look so serious.”

“Am I not always?” Jae asked as he sipped his coffee.

“Well, you don’t look sourly at this hour most of the time.”

“It’s the father’s fault.”

“Ah, I see…” Jun said as he sat to the opposite chair. “Everyone is tense including Junsu’s staff. They know he’ll be bringing his girlfriend today. I don’t really think that’s a good idea, to be honest.”

“Why?”

“Well, if I were him, I’d introduce the girl first to the grandmother upstairs. If she approves of her then whatever the father says doesn’t matter anymore. It’s her that’s important.”

Jae sighed as he put down the coffee.

“Junsu doesn’t really care about what our dad thinks. I think he’s doing it out of respect. But no matter what they say, I think he already set his mind about his girl. That’s what I think. He just wants to get this over with so he can plan things with her,” Jae said.

“That serious?”

“Yeah. I’ve seen Junsu with other women. This one is different. He loves her.”

Jun nodded in agreement. Just then, Jae’s phone rang. He frowned.

“What?”

“It’s from my son’s daycare,” Jae answered. “Wait. Hello? Yeah…I see. Okay, I’ll be there right away. Thank you.”

After the call, Jae put his phone back in his jacket pocket and gave Jun the documents he was reading a while ago.

“Jun, do me a favor and bring this to my secretary. Tell her it’s all good,” Jae said as he looked at his watch.

“Where are you going? We have a board meeting in 2 hours.”

“I know. The daycare called and told me that they’re a staff short. Also, one of the teachers didn’t feel well so they want the kids to go home. They don’t want to risk the kids from getting sick as well. I’ll pick up Minguk first…then maybe bring him here at Grandma’s. It’s almost lunch, anyway, so we might grab a quick bite.”

“Okay. Sure. I’ll bring this to your secretary,” Jun said as he stood up and walked with Jae out of the café.

++

At Seoul General Hospital…

Dara was busy talking to Daehan’s doctor after giving him his flu shot.

Outside the door, a couple was sitting in the waiting area. The girl was crying while the guy consoled her. They just finished their doctor’s appointment and they learned that the girl is 3 weeks pregnant. Both of them were anxious and worried about the result. Both also just graduated from college and have yet to find jobs. To make things worse, they were not sure how to break the news to their respective families since no one knew that they were dating.

“We’re so screwed, Min,” Minzy cried out softly. “What are we going to do? What are we going to tell them? My mother is expecting me to help put my brother to school.”

“I know but it’s done. We just have to face this together. We can do it,” Changmin encouraged but the worry in his voice was evident.

“How can we face this? We need to tell our family about us which aren’t easy because they both think we’re single. Then they’ll be shock to hear that I’m already pregnant the first time my parents will meet you and me to your parents. After that…what? They’ll nag us about being irresponsible,” Minzy cried out. “Min, we don’t even have jobs yet. We don’t have any savings. How can we raise our baby? We should have been more careful.”

“It’s too late for that, Minzy. You’re already pregnant with our baby. We have no choice. Let’s just face this together.”

Minzy wiped her tears.

“But…what if…what if I mean…I don’t think I can do it but if you think it’s for the best…what if we terminate the pre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter