Prologue

Petrichor [Chanbaek]

The opened windows caused the curtains to dance with the wind, while the weird smell of rain filled the room. The scent collided with the aroma of freshly made coffee: truly an unforgettable smell. The fire place was burning bright; the crackling of the wood could be heard.

There wasn’t a cloud to be seen that day, yet it had rained from 6 to 8, leaving puddles, low temperatures, and that weird, but comforting smell rain always left behind. Even though it was the 25th of July and it had been rather hot all day, cushions and blankets were needed during the evening. Baekhyun thought that his partner’s body was enough to keep him warm, but Chanyeol insisted on grabbing a few blankets.

“It isn’t even that cold!”

“I’ll will die from hypothermia if I don’t warm up quickly, Baek. You’ll have to live the rest of your life without me! You wouldn’t want that, would you?”

“Oh, stop being dramatic.”

Chanyeol chuckled at Baekhyun’s response and grabbed the blankets. The wooden floorboard creaked with every step he took. The couch squeaked when Chanyeol sat next to his partner, whilst a spring poked him in his lower back. He tried to find a position that satisfied him, but alas, the spring kept on poking him in the back and the couch creaked and squeaked with every movement Chanyeol made. He gave up after a few minutes of continuously trying and tried to pay attention to the movie Baekhyun and him were watching. Baekhyun apparently didn’t really care for the movie either, as he was playing with a loose string that was hanging from his sleeve.

“Let’s do something else,” Baekhyun said. Chanyeol looked at him confusingly, cocking his head to the side.

“It’s a Thursday night. Where would you want to go?”

“Well, we could go to the park?” Chanyeol looked even more confused and squinted his eyes, but he couldn’t hide a smile.

“Like a mini road trip?”

“Like a mini road trip.”

“Are you sure? I mean, it’s already 20:15 and it’s all muddy outside. I have to go to work tomorrow as well…”

“Come on, the sun will set in like, an hour, and your shift starts at, what, 10am?” Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol with his puppy-like eyes. “Please? Don’t make me watch this movie any longer.”

“Is it that terr-“

“Yes.”

Chanyeol stared back at his partner for a few seconds, admiring his ears, nose, and above all, his eyes. Baekhyun’s eyes were the reason why Chanyeol fell in love with him. He would drown in them every single time. Worries that Chanyeol had would be forgotten, time would stop, and, even though he was drowning in those dark brown eyes, Chanyeol felt like he could finally breathe.

 “Baekhyun, you will be the death of me.”