Pocket Sized Yuto

Pocket Sized Yuto

A/N- hello this is very rushed, but this was inspired by @jjangwooseok and @wooyuptg on twitter who gave me the idea (originally it was wooseok). one note is i used the term "honey dripping from his eyes," bc it's a korean phrase meaning "heart eyes" basically, and it sounded appropriate.

It had happened yesterday. Yesterday, Adachi Yuto had run to you, crying and hiccuping, and asking what was wrong with him. You couldn’t blame him, because last time you’d seen your boyfriend, he’d been six feet tall- now he was only four inches.

    By the next day, the shock had worn off, but you were no less perplexed than when you’d seen him 24 hours earlier. Google hadn’t been any help- there weren’t any answers for “why has my boyfriend suddenly shrunk?” The closest you could get was ads for weight loss and liposuction. As you sat on the edge of your bed, searching the web, Yuto was perched on your head, peeking out through your hair. You sighed and closed your laptop. “I’m sorry, Yuto.” You reached up and gently plucked him from your hair, to sit him in your palms. “I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t know what happened or how long it will last.”

    Yuto’s lip started to quiver, and he clutched onto your thumb for support. You lovingly petted the top of his small head as he tried not to cry. “Don’t worry, we’ll figure it out together, babe,” you soothed.

    Whatever had affected Yuto’s height and size had also seemingly affected his mentality. He almost seemed to be reduced back to the age of a toddler, much more prone to tears, and much more attached to you. Of course, he was more clingy than he let on, on an every day basis. (Everyone was fooled by his resting face, but he was really a big sweetheart). But now you were playing babysitter for your boyfriend. It might have been annoying if it just wasn’t so cute.

    Yuto sniffled, and wiped his eyes with his teeny tiny sweater paws. You had to stop yourself from saying “aww” out loud. “You promise? You’ll stay with me? You’ll help me?” He looked up at you with earnest eyes. Had his eyes always been that big and shiny? You melted. Not like you could say no, even if you wanted to.

    “Yes, of course. I’m here to help you. I love you, Yuto.”

    Yuto gave you a sweet, watery smile, and pressed a soft, small kiss to your thumb, which he was still hugging. “I love you too!”

    Unfortunately, one problem remained. In a few hours, you were leaving with your family to go camping. Your family had also invited Yuto to come along. What on earth am I going to tell my family?

    “Yuto, babe?”

    “Yes?”

    “You wanna come say hi to my family with me?”

 

    Surprisingly, your family had taken the news rather well. After your father had gone pale with shock, and your mother had let out a shriek that scared your pets, and your siblings had all gathered around your hands to peer at your microscopic boyfriend, which made Yuto cry again and run up your arms to hide in the collar of your shirt… essentially, after everyone was done freaking out, your parents calmed down enough to say that the offer still stood.

    “He’s always a pleasure to have around,” your mother added.

    “We were going to have you in separate tents, but I guess he can’t really be left alone now, can he?” There was a grudging tone in your father’s voice. “Alright, he can stay with you, but I don’t want anything but sleep happening in that tent-“

    “Dad, please. He’s like a baby,” you whispered, mortified. Yuto, who was preoccupied playing with the strings on your hoodie, didn’t seem to notice what you’d said.

    Your mother waved a hand dismissively. “It’s fine. He’s not even big enough to eat a marshmallow on his own, let alone anything else. Just make sure you stick to him, and don’t lose him.” You agreed fervently- you couldn’t stand the thought of losing him somewhere near the mountains, small enough to be a puma’s or an eagle’s snack. And with that, you left to go pack.

    Here, you encountered your first dilemma. Yuto was too distracted for you to trust him alone on your bed or dresser, but you didn’t have any free hands to hold him safely out of harm’s way while packing. Yuto wanted attention from you, and you wanted more than anything to give it to him, but it wasn’t possible to multitask. Luckily, you overcame this obstacle by putting on your hoodie backwards, so Yuto sat snuggly in your hoodie. 

    While you packed, he talked to you softly. “I love you so much, you’re my favorite person in the whole world.” His tone was sweet, and he looked up at you, honey dripping from his eyes.

    You smiled- he was just too cute. “I love you too, Yuto. You’re MY favorite person ever.” It was so worth the distraction when he flushed pink, and jumped to try and kiss you. He only ever reached your chin, but after pouting adorably, you lifted him for a second to peck the corner of your lips, and you responded by kissing the top of his head. Yuto giggled and your heart fluttered. Eventually, though, Yuto got comfortable in your hood and fell asleep. You moved gently so as to avoid disturbing him, and finished packing.

    Just as you were about to shut your suitcase, your doll in the corner of the room caught your eye. She was wearing a sweater that would probably fit Yuto… and he was going to need at least one change of clothes while you were there… You stripped all your dolls of their clothes, and packed them in your bag too, just in case.

 

    After a long nap in the car, Yuto was energized while you set up camp. He got a little grumpy when you wouldn’t pay attention to him- “I’m sorry, babe, but we need to assemble the tents so we can sleep”- but then forgave you when you fed him some jelly. You let him down to go explore- the grass was sparse enough to keep an eye on him easily, and everything he did was just adorable. “Be careful!” you called out.

    Yuto’s little legs carried him surprisingly fast as he ran off a few meters away. Before you could get too concerned, he came toddling back holding a flower bigger than himself. Panting and puffing, he caught his breath before holding the flower up, beaming proudly up at you. “I got this for you.”

    “Aww, thank you,” you gasped, and promptly put the flower behind your ear. His small, round cheeks dusted pink and his eyes sparkled as he smiled. He ran around you for a little while longer until he got tired, but he still wanted to explore.

    “Mom, can I walk around the campsite for a bit with Yuto?” You called out to your mother, who had just finished setting up her sleeping bag.

    “Yes, but be back before dark. And for heaven’s sake, don’t let him out of your sight,” she added, with a nod to your pint-sized boyfriend.

    “Of course. Yuto, come on. You can hitch a ride with me.” Yuto cheered happily, and snuggled up close to you when you lightly placed him on your shoulder. You didn’t want to go too far for fear of getting lost, but luckily your passenger was occupied with everything in the small radius, especially the animals. You came to a small pond, letting Yuto down nervously, wondering if he could still swim sufficiently at this size, but he ran happily through the shallows, soaking his whole body and giggling. He approached a nearby frog, almost bigger than him, and jumped into a crouch. “Ribbit ribbit.”

    The frog’s tongue lashed out and hit him on the forehead. The next thing you heard was a wail. “AHH! The froggy slapped me!” Yuto cried out, running to you and clinging onto your ankle. You could tell he wasn’t really hurt in anyway, but you picked him up anyways and pacified him. “It’s okay, baby, it’s okay.”

    Yuto was tapped out after that, so you headed back to the campsite, and after stripping him of his clothes (he got a little shy and refused to look at you), you got him to change into the dolls’ clothes you brought. He protested, but you couldn’t help but think he looked adorable in his little striped sweater.

    “I’m still cold,” he complained.

    “Well come on, let’s warm you up,” you said cheerfully. “Hey Dad! Can you help me start a fire?” you called over your shoulder. You were met with a resounding, “Sure!” and in a few minutes, you were holding Yuto in your hands near the small flames. You and your family quickly ate dinner (Yuto got his own mini-sized meal), and then you started to toast marshmallows.

    “Oh! Can you make mine golden?” Yuto requested. He had tried to toast his own, but gave up after his had fallen off his toothpick. You knew you couldn’t say no when he asked you to make his for him, so you complied, your heart bursting at how cute he was.

    “I can try.” After toasting it painstakingly to make it perfect, you presented your boyfriend with his marshmallow on a leaf, and he gasped with delight. The whole thing was almost as big as him. You laughed to yourself as he dug in, snapping a few pictures with sticky white stuff all over his mouth. His cheeks bulged and he smiled goofily for some of the photos. Amazingly, he ate the entire thing, and then sluggishly crawled into the pocket of your hoodie to fall asleep.

    The night was silent and still. Your family had all made their way to their tents, and you were the last one up, sitting by the dying embers. The stars were so beautiful here- they’d always seemed a little overrated to you living in the city, but now it was easy to see why they were the cause of so much wonder and curiosity. You wondered what Yuto- your life-size Yuto- might say if he was here. Probably not much. He didn’t say a lot, but you always knew through his actions how much he adored you. Your heart ached a little. Tiny toddler Yuto was as cute as a button, but right now you missed your boyfriend who was big enough to hold you in his lap, and silently look at the stars with you. You sighed. I guess I just have to take care of him until we find a solution to… whatever this shrinking thing is.

    You sat outside until it got colder and colder, until you could see your breath, until you shivered so hard that you woke poor Yuto in your pocket. He grumbled a little at being shaken awake so abruptly, and pouted until you kissed his cheek. Sleepily, you crawled into your sleeping bag and zipped up. Here you were presented with another problem. Even under the sleeping bag, Yuto was cold. He looked so sad and upset, just shivering and looking downcast. You weren’t sure what to do, but Yuto ended up solving the problem on his own. Saying with complete earnest in his eyes, “I love you and I wanna sleep close to you,” and then stomping his tiny foot, he crawled under all your layers until he was skin-to-skin on your chest- basically sleeping in your s. Your face burned with chagrin, but he was out like a light and you didn’t have the heart to move him. Oh well, what my parents don’t know won’t hurt them. You were careful to get comfortable, and willed yourself not to move the rest of the night lest you crush him. And with that, you fell asleep too.

    

     The rest of the trip was uneventful. After a couple days, you, your family, and your boyfriend all returned home. Yuto was still staying with your family, because you weren’t really sure how to break it to his family on his… condition. After what felt like forever, you took a nap in your own bed, with Yuto resting on your shoulder. Everything in your dreams felt so warm, so comforting, like you were being held like a baby. What was this feeling?…

    And then you woke up to Yuto’s arm slung over you, and his face next to yours, blinking awake groggily. It took a second to register.

    “Yuto… you’re normal-sized again,” you whispered.

    Yuto rubbed his head sleepily. “What?… Wait… you’re not a giant anymore,” he said slowly. Then he groaned. “Wait, did I really shrink, and do all that embarrassing stuff?” He buried his face into your pillow, turning pink.

    You laughed. “It’s okay, you’re adorable. I’m just glad to have you back.” And when you kissed him, he believed you.