Oh La La

Running From Adulting

"Danyelle turn that the OFF!" Angela screamed from the hallway. The  car alarm kept going off and Danyelle had the keys in her back pocket.
 

Angela was exhausted with her best friend's hood rat tendencies but at this point she signed the friendship in blood and there was no going back. 
 

"Girl if you don't just help me with these last few boxes, the Uhaul is outside and I am not about to wait for you." Danyelle shouted back. Her neighbor Karen was waiting at the door to make sure that she left the apartment as she had been praying for this day to come as soon as Danyelle had signed the lease. 
 

"Karen I swear to ing god if you don't go back inside of your dusty house I will wipe the floor with your melanin challenged " Danyelle gritted through her teeth without so much as glancing at the wiry woman. 
 

"Don't make me call management" Karen retorted in a shrill voice, causing Danyelle to roll her eyes. This woman had been on her from the beginning. The day she moved in, Karen had threatened to call management to make sure that she was really a new tenant. It was so embarrassing. All of Danyelle's friends waiting with her boxes for the supervisor to come in person to make sure that Karen felt safe , he didn't arrive until an hour later. 

Ever since then Danyelle swore to make Karen's life hell. Fish fry Fridays, she would have her famous buttermilk fried catfish and invite the whole floor except Karen. Turn up Tuesdays, every third Tuesday of the month she invited the whole floor to have tacos and turn up. Can't forget the time her Karen's fiancé almost tried to sleep with her, and even though Danyelle laughed at the thought and turned him down numerous times, Karen still hated her. All of this cemented Danyelle as Karen's mortal enemy and to be quite honest Danyelle couldn't  find a to spare for that sad woman.


 

" you anyway Karen, I can't argue with somebody who don't even have lips." Danyelle shifted her weight to carry the box on her hip, slightly turning so she could stick her tongue out at the woman, her fiancé Chad stood behind her winking at Danyelle. Danyelle scoffed at him and turned back around with the quickness. 
 

"BYE ES!" She called out as she waited with Angela for the elevator to arrive. 
 

The hallway was bustling with some of her favorite neighbors coming out to say goodbye. Although it had been only been two years, she had made some solid friends.

"Who the gon cook for us now?" Darnell joked with his wife Trina chuckling next to him, 

"Yeah girl you know I burn water, what are we supposed to do now?" Trina laughed as she gave Danyelle a side hug. 
 

"girl I don't know, but maybe I'll let you come through to my new place every so often." Danyelle ribbed back. 
Trina and Darnell were Danyelle's favorite couple. They would go on double dates with her then boyfriend Albert. But in hindsight she should've knew it wouldn't last with a man named Albert.  
 

"Danyelle, you OK?" Trina questioned putting a hand over her shoulder, 

 

"yeah yeah I'm good, just thinking of all the good memories" Danyelle replies trying to shake the funk off of her. Albert only brought her stress and she would be damned if she brought him into her new chapter. 
 

"girl you ready?"Angela asked with a bit of concern laced in. 
 

"yeah yeah I'm straight I'm good," Danyelle said stepping into the elevator that just opened before them. 
Trina and Darnell smiled after them, as they entered. A few other neighbors trickled out of their apartments to wave goodbye. Danyelle was so grateful for the love and support of her new found friends, And as she held back that little thug tear that threatened to fall down, she beamed back at them refueled for her new life to come.