The Dare that led to the Truth.

Phone Calls

Jiu was walking to school while admiring the same view she had seen for the past 2 and a half years. Though sometimes she would look beside her where her girlfriend was supposed to be. Walking with her to school like usual as they both talk about anything and everything. Jiu sighed as she wanted to hear her girlfriend's voice once more. She pulled out her phone and dialed some buttons she knew all too well. She placed the phone against her ear as she continued walking to school but at a slower pace.

 

“Sua~ des~” Jiu smiled at Sua’s greetings as she laughed a little bit knowing that her smol bean was happy. “If you aren't going to answer I'll hang up.” She threatened which made Jiu panic.

 

“I'm here. I'm here. Don't hang up on me please.” Jiu pleaded as she wanted to stay on the phone as long as she wanted without looking weird. She heard Sua’s small but infectious laugh. No matter how many times she heard it she would always smile no matter what.

 

“Minji-ah, you know I was teasing you right?” Jiu started pouting at Sua's joking manner and was about to retort until Sua continued. “I'm sorry.” Jiu's heart panged as her mind brought tears to her eyes, but she shook them away.

 

“What are you sorry for? You didn't do anything wrong.” Jiu cooed as she pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind.

 

“I'm not there beside you to walk you to school.” Jiu tightened her grip on her phone as her voice was weak.

 

“You can’t help it, Sua. You have a dance competition to win.” Sua only hummed as she responded.

 

“But, I'd rather be with you, so you wouldn't be lonely on your way to school.” Jiu sneezed as the cold breeze brushed harshly against her. She shivered at the cold slightly as she remembered how she got into the habit of not wearing any mittens.

 

“Why aren't you wearing mittens?” Sua furrowed her eyebrows as she saw Jiu blowing warm air into her hands. Jiu looked over at Sua who was covered in layers of clothing to keep the cold from coming in. Jiu just shrugged at Sua's question as she started massaging her hands to have some blood circulation going around.

 

“I kind of forgot?” Jiu questioned as she plastered her famous smile towards her girlfriend who wasn't looking too pleased. Sua shook her head as she sighed.

 

“Come here,” Sua said as she gestured Jiu to come on over. Jiu came closer to Sua as she watched Sua loosen her scarf a little bit. She also took off her right mitten making Jiu question what she was doing. When Jiu was close enough to Sua, she didn't know what was going to happen as she continued to watch her smol bean of a girlfriend shuffle around with herself.

 

Sua looked at Jiu in the eyes as she just gave her a reassuring smile. Sua took her mitten and placed it onto Jiu's right hand while grasping her left hand and placing it onto her neck where all the warmth Sua had been saving was being transferred to Jiu's hand. Sua kept her exposed right hand on top of Jiu’s. Jiu began to blush as she felt Sua's pulse repeatedly beat against her palm.

“You're going to get cold.” Jiu stuttered out as her mind was becoming fuzzy from just that small touch Sua instigated. Sua only chuckled as it rumbled against her hand. When Jiu’s hand was warm enough Sua took her hand off of her neck and looked at Jiu with a cheeky smile. “I'm going to miss your warmth,” Jiu stated as she pouted a bit knowing that her hand will become cold again. Sua raised her eyebrow and responded.

 

“Who said anything about me letting your hand go?” It was now Jiu's turn to question what Sua meant until Sua shoved their now intertwined hands into her coat pocket where there was a heat pack ready for them to share the warmth.

 

“You had a heat pack this whole time?!” Jiu exclaimed in shock while Sua just laughed at her girlfriend's childishness.

 

“Would you rather have the heat pack warm you up or me who would do anything for you?” Jiu became at a loss of words as she held onto Sua's hand tighter as she began to feel really hot in her winter clothes.

 

“Awe is my princess getting cold?” Jiu grumbled as she didn't say anything. All she could hear was the sweet intoxicating laughter on the other end which made her pout. “Now now, my princess,” she paused before laughing out loud again. “sorry, give me a moment.”

 

“Is my pain that funny to you?” Jiu pouted as she tried to keep her smile to herself. She could hear Sua take in a deep breath as she whispered something incoherent. “Did you say something, Kim Bora?”

 

“You are too cute for my heart, Jiu Unnie?” She giggled as Jiu began blushing at her girlfriend's words. “I think I might die from your cuteness overload.” She continued before Jiu heard a crash as she had to pull her phone away from her ear. When she placed it back it was quiet? “Oh no!” She faintly heard. “Ahh, Jiu Unnie, are you okay?” Her voice became louder as Jiu could hear the panic in her voice.

 

“I'm fine just wondering what you've done now,” Jiu questioned as she was nearing the school. She sighed knowing that her phone call will be cut short.

 

“I dropped my phone by accident. I didn't mean to hurt you in the process.” When Jiu heard those words, she had to grit her teeth.

 

“Jiu Unnie, I didn’t mean for any of this to happen. It was a bad place to go on a date. Forgive me please.”

 

“I’m not mad at you. I’m angry at the server saying that a couple who aren’t the opposite gender can’t eat there because it isn’t proper in society!” Jiu huffed in frustration. “Who does he think he is? He should be glad that I didn’t tear his smirk off that ugly face of his.”

 

“Calm down, Jiu Unnie. We’ll find another place okay?” Sua grabbed Jiu’s hand but she snatched it away and started walking faster. “Jiu Unnie! Watch out!”

 

Sua!” Jiu panicked as a memory surfaced.

 

“You know me. I may be a good cook, but it doesn’t mean I can hold my own phone properly.” She laughs while Jiu grips onto her phone for dear life while her hands trembled in fear.

 

“Sua.” She whispered as her voice weakens at the thought of her beloved not being there anymore.

 

“Jiu?” She responds back, and Jiu didn’t answer her as she didn’t have the confidence to reply back without crying. “Do you know how much I love you?” She heard over the phone while she heard her shaky breath. Jiu still couldn’t respond back to her. “I feel like you are my one and only love.” Jiu bit her lip as she didn’t want to cry once again.

 

“Please don’t say that.” Jiu weakly said but Sua kept going on.

 

“I don’t know how I would be able to live without you anymore. Each day when I’m with you I feel like you are completing me. Each touch either one of us instigates my mind goes blank. Each time our eyes meet I feel like I can ascend to heaven. Each time you say my name I fall deeper in love with you.”

 

“Sua, please stop it.” Jiu cried out and the line went silent. Her tears started falling down as she couldn’t calm down her heart beating as her head was in pain.

 

“I’m sorry, Jiu Unnie. Please, forget what I said just now.” Sua softly replied with a weak tone that didn’t sound like her at all.

 

“Please forget about me, Unnie. I don’t want to cause you any more pain.”

 

“Don't say that. You make it sound like you are leaving me.” Jiu sniffled as she found herself already in class.

 

“You'll be fine, Jiu Unnie. Just remember, that whenever you need me I'll always be there for you… Sua, you're up next… sorry, Jiu I need to go. Fighting!” Jiu left the phone click as she mumbled to herself.

 

“Liar.” Jiu slid her phone as she let her arm drop to her side. She entered the classroom with a heavy heart as she was met with an overly energetic Yoohyeon.

 

“Jiu!” Yoohyeon exclaimed happily before pouncing on her. “Save me.” She whimpered as she clung to Jiu for her dear life. Jiu became confused on what was happening as she raised an eyebrow towards the rest of their friends for an explanation.

“Yoohyeon here thought it was a great idea to swing Siyeon’s backpack until she accidentally let it go and it flew to the other end of the classroom. Breaking Siyeon’s makeup in her bag and having it spill on her paper that’s due at the beginning of class.” Handong explained as she basically told Siyeon the whole story of Yoohyeon did.

 

“You better not be defending her, Jiu Unnie,” Siyeon said as she started giving her killer look at Yoohyeon.

 

“I won’t defend her, Siyeon. You’re on your own.” Jiu pushed Yoohyeon off of her and walked by a bouquet of flowers. She froze and looked at the flowers which had red roses in them. “Was anyone confessing to Sua today?” She asked as her friends looked at each other confused.

 

“What are you talking about?” Yoohyeon questioned as she was still at a fair amount of distance away from Siyeon. “No one is going to be confessing to Sua anymore.” She stated as Jiu had a faint smile as she knew that no one would be stealing her Sua away from her.

 

“Good.” She nodded as she grabbed the flowers and threw them away. Siyeon gasped at Jiu’s actions and was about to say something to her but Handong stopped her. Siyeon gave Handong a menacing glare but all she could see in her eyes were sorrow as she shook her head no. Siyeon calmed down wondering what she meant while looking back at Jiu who was smiling to herself while playing with her thumb ring Sua gave to her.

 

Lunch…

 

Jiu went up to the rooftop where she could be left alone from her friends. She heaved a breath as her hands automatically went to her phone. They started going to the same place as always as if they knew what Jiu wanted the most.

 

“You know sometimes I feel like I’m the luckiest person in the world.” Sua smoothly said as her voice rang throughout Jiu’s body making her smile at her girlfriend’s clichés.

 

“I love you too.” Was all Jiu managed to say before being cut off from Sua.

 

“Do you hear that guys! My own girlfriend told me that she loves me. So, now that all of you heard the proof back off from Jiu Unnie because she’s mine.” Jiu raised her eyebrow as she questioned what was going on to where Sua was. “Oh, and I love you as well.” Sua laughed until Jiu’s phone was taken away by Yoohyeon.

 

“Jiu Unnie, I’m worried about you,” Yoohyeon said as Jiu was trying to grab her phone back. “You’ve been on your phone for far too long. It’s time to face reality and actually talk to us.” Yoohyeon tried explaining as she noticed something on Jiu’s phone. She placed her phone against her ear and said in disbelief. “Sua?” Before anything else could happen, she turned off the phone and glared at Jiu. She sighed as she hated what she was going to do next. “I’m going to have you do a dare okay?” Yoohyeon challenged hoping that her idea might work. Jiu frowned knowing that Yoohyeon’s games weren’t exactly the fun type.

 

“Sure, what is it?” Jiu complied as she knew that Yoohyeon wouldn’t return her phone unless she goes along with whatever she was doing. Yoohyeon smiled sadly as she dangled Jiu’s phone in front of her.

 

“You are to go a day without going on your phone,” Yoohyeon stated as she slid Jiu’s phone into her back pocket. Jiu’s eyes went wide as she ran towards Yoohyeon in attempts to getting her phone back.

 

“No no no. Sua is waiting for me since you cut off the call.” Yoohyeon shook her head and responded.

 

“Sua isn’t going anywhere. Plus, I don’t think she’ll mind if I cut your conversations short anyways.” Jiu glared at Yoohyeon as she backed off and huffed.

 

“Fine, I’ll go along with you dare but the moment lunch hits tomorrow you are giving me back my phone.” Jiu threatened as she already began missing her dearly beloved’s voice.

 

During the duration of the school time, Jiu was already on the verge to hunt down Yoohyeon just to get her phone back. She hated how she was so dependent on her girlfriend to get through her day, however, she found herself thinking back at how she used to be without Sua. She was always out and about with friends socially and how she would try and make their day. Though when she met Sua, she remembered the first thing that Sua said when she introduced herself.

 

“My name is Kim Bora, but I’d like to go by Sua because it’s easier that way.” She tried to say confidently but, in the end, she bit her tongue and made everyone laugh. She blushed at her mistake and that little incident made Jiu think that she was cute. When the break started, Jiu immediately went up to Sua and started talking about anything.

 

Jiu laughed at their interaction as she recalled that Sua tried backing away from Jiu’s strong presence. She also remembered how they went on a late date night as they roamed around the busy streets of Seoul while comparing the chicken stores. That night was the night Sua accidentally gave her an indirect kiss.

 

“Okay, we are on Instagram and I want to say hi to my friends,” Jiu said as she started live streaming them.

 

“Hi,” Sua said shyly as she backed away from the camera a bit while slightly hiding behind Jiu. Sua tugged on Jiu’s shirt at the back. Jiu looked at Sua as she couldn’t help but smile at her crush’s actions.

 

“Don’t worry no one is going to hurt you.” Jiu said as she glared at the camera as she wrapped her arm around Sua’s waist and pulled her close. That little action made the comments start popping up with the tag of #Jiuardian@herservice. Sua blushed at Jiu’s actions as she still didn’t say anything. “Anyways, I’m out here on the busy night streets of Seoul with my lovely friend Sua just to tell you guys that we are safe, and I had the urge to show my newest best friend off.” Jiu looked at Sua when she said it while Sua looked back at her. They stayed like that for a couple of seconds before going back to the phone.

 

“Don’t go out with this one here though. You might have an empty wallet.” Sua said as she started gaining confidence in herself.

 

“Hey! What does that mean?” Jiu said in shock while Sua started laughing.

 

“It means that you’re expensive,” Sua stated as she gave her a toothy grin.

 

“Okay, that’s all we are going to say, and I just wanted… wait… no… we just wanted to let you guys have a nice night and make sure to get home safely as we are about to head home too.” Jiu said at the camera while diverting the topic. “Bye~” Jiu couldn’t wave as she didn’t want to lose her skin ship with Sua. Sua used her free hand that wasn’t tugging on Jiu’s shirt to as she blew a kiss to the camera making Jiu jealous to her friends. “Hey, Sua?” Jiu semi whined while Sua looked at Jiu. “Let me blow a kiss to them too.” Sua nodded as she kissed her hand and put it on Jiu’s lips. That little action made her shocked and her mind went into a semi bliss, but she couldn’t show it yet. “No, I meant you letting me use your hand to blow a kiss to the friends.” Sua understood and placed her hand on Jiu’s lips longer than they should have been before removing it. Jiu watched in the reflection of the live stream how Sua was waving goodbye so cutely that she accidentally blurted out. “I like you so much, Sua.” Sua stopped her wave and looked over at Jiu with wide eyes before covering . She moved her head towards her neck and whispered softly enough that the microphone couldn’t pick it up.

 

“I like you too, Jiu Unnie.” She pulled back as she placed her hand on Jiu’s chest while staring into Jiu’s eyes. Jiu turned off the phone as she didn’t want to break any eye contact with Sua. She leaned forward hoping to capture Sua’s lips that she had long for however, Sua pulled back. “You need to take me on a date before kissing me.” She stated as she pulled herself apart from Jiu who had hanging. Sua smiled as she closed Jiu’s mouth. “You’re going to catch flies like that if you leave it open, love.” She winked at Jiu.

 

“I thought this was a date,” Jiu whined as she grabbed Sua’s hand and intertwined them.

 

“I don’t remember you asking me out as your girlfriend,” Sua said as she swung their intertwined hands up in the air.

 

“I’ll get that kiss one way or another.” Sua only shook her head as they began to slowly walk home.

Jiu got through the rest of the day just remembering about her beloved and how they started out. By the time, Jiu realized it was already time for bed and somehow, she didn’t want to sleep. She was usually on the phone with Sua until she fell asleep. Jiu grumbled as she cursed at Yoohyeon for making such a dare in the first place.

 

“I have to go, Jiu Unnie.” Sua softly said as she whispered into Jiu’s ear. Jiu grumbled as she scratched her nose with her pillow before trying to sleep again. “Babe, if you don’t let go of me soon then you’ll regret it.”

 

“I don’t want you to go,” Jiu whined as she pulled Sua closer to her body. “I like you in my bed making it all warm for me.

 

“But, I’m not actually there, Minji. I never have, and I’ll never be able to warm your bed again.” Sua cooed and Jiu opened her eyes. There staring at her was an empty space in her bed.

 

“Sua!” Jiu shouted as she bolted herself up from her bed. She was panting as cold sweat ran down the sides of her face.

 

“Jiu Unnie! Watch out!” Slam Jiu looked around and saw that her books have fallen onto the ground.

 

“Go back to sleep, Minji. It was all just a dream.” Jiu breathed out as she situated herself back into bed.

 

Lunch…

 

“Okay, Yoohyeon, give me back my phone,” Jiu said as she was getting anxious to hear Sua’s voice again. She admitted that it was hard to go without talking to Sua for a day, but she was thankful that it was all over.

 

“Okay, now you need to try it for the rest of your life,” Yoohyeon said as she watched Jiu’s face turn into irritation into confusion.

 

“Wait… what do you mean?” Jiu asked and Yoohyeon only sighed with a shaky breath.

 

“You don’t remember, don’t you?” Jiu couldn’t understand what was going on as Yoohyeon tried to hint it towards Jiu. All she could do was shake her head towards Yoohyeon as she saw pity in Yoohyeon’s eyes. “Sua’s dead.” Jiu widened her eyes as she held her head by the sudden news.

 

“No… that can’t be right. I was just talking to her yesterday. We said I love you to each other.” Jiu reasoned as she could clearly remember their conversation.

 

“You did say I love you to each other but who you were saying it to was a voice recording that Sua secretly made to help you cheer up whenever she needed to go to a dance competition or when you are out of town visiting family,” Yoohyeon explained as Jiu couldn’t wrap her head around the fact that her beloved was dead.

 

“Why can’t I remember that she died?” Jiu said as a thought went through her. “You must be joking… hahaha. That was very funny, Yoohyeon, you almost got me there.” Jiu laughed as she couldn’t accept that Sua was dead.

 

“I’m sorry, Jiu Unnie, but it’s the truth. You spent her last waking moments in the hospital. You were there at the memorial. You were there when they gave you Sua’s phone and other belongings that she labeled for you.” Yoohyeon’s voice began breaking as she remembered how many tears were shed when she visited Jiu in the hospital. Apparently, a driver was speeding down an urban area where Sua was walking Jiu home from another food marathon date. Jiu was arguing with Sua about the recent restaurant they went to and how they had bad service just because they weren't a hetero couple. Sua noticed the driver and pushed Jiu out of the way having the car hit her while Jiu got out the accident with a couple cuts and bruises. She remembered that she found Jiu covered in blood that was Sua’s and how she refused to wash it away hoping that everything was just a bad dream. “She’s gone,” Yoohyeon concluded as Jiu started getting flashes back to the hospital bed where her girlfriend lied there all broken and motionless.

 

“Sua?” Jiu whispered fearing that her voice might actually shatter her girlfriend. Sua only hummed weakly as Jiu sprang to Sua’s side. “Are you okay, my love?” She watched as Sua hummed again and Jiu grabbed Sua’s hand tightly putting her mind at ease in knowing that Sua was alive and in front of her.

 

“Are you okay?” Sua slowly said as her voice was hoarse from the lack of use.

 

“Of course, I am. Thanks to you but I’m hurt in the heart. Don’t ever do that again.” Jiu pleaded as she couldn’t bear to see Sua all broken and bandaged up.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for you to be in this much pain,” Sua said as Jiu nuzzled her cheek against Sua’s palm while crying. “Can you do me a favor though?” Sua continued as she her lips.

 

“Of course, I’ll do anything for you,” Jiu said without any hesitation.

 

“Please forget about me, Unnie. I don’t want to cause you any more pain.” Sua weakly said as she closed her eyes and the line started flatlining.

 

“NO!” Jiu cried out as she dropped to her knees. “I lost her, Yoohyeon. I want to hear her voice again. I-I need her to be by my side. Why can’t she be beside me now?” Jiu cried out as Yoohyeon embraced her and gently rubbed her back.

 

“You’re going to be okay.” Yoohyeon consoled Jiu until she fell asleep. Yoohyeon pulled out Jiu’s phone and pressed play of the last recording Sua ever made.

 

“Hey guys, this is Sua~ des~. I’m here with my sleeping girlfriend.” Sua whispered as she pointed to Jiu sleeping on the couch. “The only reason I’m filming this is because look at how cute my girlfriend sleeps,” Jiu mumbled something incoherent. “I love you, Jiu, no matter where I am in the world, I am always going to be with you in here.” Sua points to her heart before gazing lovingly at the Jiu in the video. The recording cuts off showing Yoohyeon crying and hesitantly about to click the delete button.