A Brush With Death

A Brush With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For Prosecutor

 

Sana was six years old when she met Death for the first time.

She found out dogs were Death's favorite animal.

Bright-eyed and innocent; Sana didn't question why a woman wearing a black trench coat was rocking on a swing too low for her long legs under the sweltering summer sun. The little girl instead hopped over to the shady figure who was hunched over reading a leather bound book and tugged on the edges of the coat that draped to the ground—she remembered that it was cool to the touch despite the immense heat. 

Of course, Sana's parents were sensible and taught her to never to speak to random strangers, especially shady looking ones, but her heart ached when her eyes caught sight of such a lonely person. That, and she was alone in the park and she wanted someone to push her on the swings.

"Hey," Sana said while her tiny hands clutched onto the fabric. Dark eyes blinked at the child, a hint of surprise shown in her otherwise stoic face. "Aren't you too big to be on the swings?"

The woman cleared and spoke in a gravely voice, "I am not too big. You mortals simply construct superfluous limitations upon yourselves."

The child tilted her head in confusion having only understood a few words from her sentence. "You talk funny. You're weird."

"On the contrary, I believe you are the strange one." Heeled boots dug into the dirt and she stood up to only end up crouching in front of Sana. She examined her face with intensity, trying to find an answer to a question she couldn't grasp. "Mortals have long since lossed the ability to see me yet here you are, speaking to me. What makes you different, mortal."

Sana grew frustrated at the stranger and stomped her feet with a huff. "My name isn't mortal! My name is Sana. S-A-N-A."

Having no experience how to console a child, the stranger sighed, "Very well, mortal. If you are so aggrieved by my calling you what you are, I shall call you what you wish. S-A-N-A."

"Sana!"

"Sana," the dark figure agreed with a nod. She stood up to her full height and Sana needed to crane her neck to catch a glimpse of her face.

"You're really tall."

"And you are of small stature because you are a child. In due time, you will grow as well."

"Really?" Sana's eyes sparkled. "Will I grow as tall as you?"

"Not necessarily." As her smile dropped from her face, the stranger hastily added, "However I do not know the clear future so there may be a possibility that you could become taller than even I once you reach adulthood."

Sana looked up at the woman and tugged on her coat once again. "Can you push me on the swing?"

The stranger thought for a second and nodded. "As you wish, little Sana." At the confirmation, Sana excitedly sat on the swing and stretched her legs excitedly.

The figure gently pushed the waiting child with her gloved hands while Sana happily squealed. Higher and higher she went, reaching for the sky in her young mind. The stranger stood behind her like a protective shadow and a ghost of a smile appeared in her face at the sight of such cheer and happiness in front of her.

"Hey, Miss." Sana mentioned. "What's your name?"

"Mortals have called me by many names over the millenias I have existed. The most direct translation would be Death."

"Death?" She asked as she scraped her heels to halt her momentum. "Is that it?"

"Yes. Why does your tone indicate that you do not believe me."

She puffed up her chubby cheeks. "I don't like that name, it's so boring! I'm giving you another name."

"Of course, of course." Death shook her head at the simplicity the child exudes. "If that is your wish."

"I'll think of something."

Death hummed although it was more of a breathy rumble. "I shall look foward to it."

"What's you favorite animal?" Sana started to swing her feet again and it was Death's cue to start pushing again.

"From names to animals, you are a curious mortal." Each word was accented with a small push, slow and precise. "But if you must know, the animal I most favor are dogs."

"I like dogs too! My mom says I look like a Shiba Inu." 

"Shiba Inus are faithful, yes; they are loyal creatures and they are what you humans call 'cute'."

"Am I cute too?" 

Choosing to humor her, Death nodded solemnly. "Of course, little one."

From the distance, Sana's mother called for her daughter and the little girl snapped her head at her direction. "Mama!" Without thinking, Sana jumped off from the apex of the swing to plummet to the warm dirt. Sana closed her eyes and waited for the impact, however firm hands caught her mid-flight and her feet slowly descended to the ground thanks to her new friend's aid.

"Be careful next time, little Sana. Remember that it is not your time yet."

The little girl, now safely on land and only slightly jarred by her sudden impulse, smiled a smile as brilliant as the sun at the gloomy Death and she tugged on her coat once more. "I will! I'm going home now!" She started to run off to her mother until she turned around and waved once more. "Bye, Chewy!

Death raised her hand, alien to the motion, and waved awkwardly. "May we meet again, Minatozaki Sana," she whispered as she snapped her fingers and she disappeared in a whisp of black smoke, off to collect the souls that her hounds had tracked for her.

 

 

Sana was ten when she met Death for the second time.

She found out that it wasn't cosplay.

"What do you mean you're not dressed up as a character?! So you're telling me that you walk around like that everywhere?"

Sitting underneath a tree, Death raised a thin eyebrow at the tone dripping with disbelief. "Yes. Although my appearance is tangible, I saw fit to clad myself in this fabric instead of the robes I have worn for centuries."

The two reunited in the same park they met years ago. Sana had been walking home from school when she spotted a black speck in the corner of her eye—a stranger that she had thought was an imaginary friend that her younger self conjured up. And so, she approached her, setting herself down in the cool shade, and conversed with Death yet again. 

"You're strange, you know that?"

"I have been told," Death confirmed as her pen scribbled something in her book. Her impeccable posture and long, dark hair prevented Sana from seeing a word on a page, but she assumed that it wasn't her business anyway. "By you, I believe." 

Sana tilted her head. "By me?"

"Yes." With a flick of her wrist, Death closed the book and pocketed it inside her coat. She glanced down at her wrist watch and watched as the hands ticked with each second. Turning her head to the young girl, Death bowed her head in apolo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter