Chapter 1

I Don't Want a War

Jay slammed the door behind him as he kicked off his shoes and stormed to the kitchen. It was only 7:00 but he'd had a ty day. 

 

Jessi was idly snacking on some chips at the island while on her laptop, dressed casually in jeans and a tank top. She was spending a couple days at his place while her apartment was being renovated and the security upgraded. They were treating it as practice to see if they could live together. 

 

She smiled at him when he walked in, "Hey, babe! How was work?"

 

Rolling his eyes obviously while he pulled a water out of the fridge, "Not great." 

 

Her eyes narrowed slightly before she blinked hard. "Why? What happened?" 

 

"Everything that could have gone wrong with the financiers for the event next month did. And now I have to fix it. " He was speaking at her, giving her the least amount of attention possible as he texted on his cell. 

 

"I'm sorry," she told him, trying to sympathize but noticing that he was barely listening, "But can't Simon help with any of it? Or is there anything I can do?"

 

He scoffed before he replied, "No, not really. And Simon's out of town all week. I'll take care of it so you can worry about your little concert or whatever. "

 

Okay, so now she was angry. She understood his feelings about the workload but the condescension was uncalled for. "Excuse me? Do you think that's all I do? You don't think I have any knowledge of anything besides my own music? Or problems? That's ing rich coming from you." 

 

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He finally looked up at her, face twisted in derision. "You have no idea what I deal with, okay?"

 

"Yeah, right. Poor pretty boy couldn't play well with others so made his own little company where nobody could tell him what to do. Boo hoo! And you have no idea what I know! I've had it way harder than you and I don't complain about it. I just keep going." They had moved face to face in front of the sink, barely a foot between them. 

 

"Don't act like a saint. You ran away every time it got hard and got another chance every time. You have no clue what hell I had to live through to get a second chance in this industry. You're the brat here."

 

"I don't know who the you think you're talking to, but it sure as hell ain't me." She turned around and headed for the door. Her New York accent was becoming more pronounced as she went. 

 

"I know you think you're better than me or more important or had a harder life or whatever but you can ing miss me with that bull." Jessi had grabbed her purse and keys and had thrown on some Nike slides as she made her way to the door. 

 

"Jesus ing Christ, you make everything into an issue. I say one thing you don't like and you're running away. Typical. Fine, see if I give a . Bye." He rolled his eyes and stormed toward his bedroom. 

 

She was livid as she left, making sure to slam the front door. 

 

øøø

 

An hour later, he was still angry. He had begun to straighten out the mess at work, though, and was coming down. He made his way to the living room, half expecting to see his girlfriend seething on the couch.  When a quick glance around told him she was still gone, he just huffed a breath at her dramatics and settled in for some long phone calls. 

 

When he had his laptop open in front of him another hour and a half later, he couldn't concentrate. Jay was thinking about the fight. They'd been together for almost 6 months and this was their first real argument. Maybe it was kind of a move bringing up how many times it had taken for her to finally get big. But she hadn't pulled any punches either. He had been all but black balled in the Korean music industry and it was a painful time in his life. 

 

Groaning and throwing his head back, Jay started feeling like they should have talked about that phase in their lives. It was so similar for both of them that it was stupid not to. 

 

When it struck midnight, he was worried. She'd only taken her purse and he saw her wallet on the nightstand in the bedroom. And she was wearing ing slippers in the middle of fall. She couldn't get into her place and she was too prideful to run to one of her friends and admit what had happened. 

 

The guilty feeling in his chest was intensifying. He shouldn't have antagonized her in the first place. He knew what he was doing when he insulted her, and for no reason. Jay knew it was a ty move just taking his bad day out on her like that and being mad when she responded. And it wasn't like she had said anything wrong. He didn't play well when he wasn't the boss. It wasn't even a real insult. And he knew Jessi could have really ing burned him if she wanted to. 

 

But if he hadn't instigated a bull fight and if they hadn't avoided talking about their pasts out of Korea, there wouldn't have been an issue. He pushed his pride aside and sent her a text. "I'm sorry. I was wrong to blow up at you. Come back, please." He had to stop himself from adding an "I love you." This debacle had really put things into perspective and he didn't want their relationship to be over. It was moving fast but it all felt right. Or had felt right.

 

Finally, around 1 a.m., there was a clatter in the hallway and then a knock at the front door. He'd been pacing in the kitchen, trying to call her, apologizing over text, begging her to come back. Hopeful, he answered the door quickly. He was rewarded with the sight of his girlfriend leaning heavily on an older man. 

 

"Uh, she said she was staying here?" he said as a question. 

 

"Yes, thank you Sang-min oppa." She turned to him as well as she could while hanging onto the man for support. "I'm here for my things. Then I'm going to a hotel." 

 

She staggered into the apartment, ignoring Jay in the doorway and carefully making her way to the bedroom. 

 

The guy, Sang-min apparently, called after her, "Yah, Jessi, call me if you need anything!" Then, speaking to him, "She was at a bar in Hong-dae when I ran into her a couple hours ago. She's pretty drunk. Can I leave her here?" he asked. His tone was a little hostile. He was guessing that Jessi had let him in on their fight and that Sang-min was on her side. Hell, he was on her side himself. 

 

"Yeah, she's staying here. I'll take care of her." 

 

Handing him her dead phone and Chanel bag, Sang-min gave him a terse smile and walked off. 

 

Closing the door, Jay followed the noise and found Jessi sitting on the ground in front of her suitcase, pulling her long hair into a ponytail. 

 

Not noticing him, she got to her feet gracelessly, almost falling a handful of times. Making her way to his huge closet, she bear hugged all of her clothes hanging there and yanked them off the rail, walking out and tossing them on top of her bag, hangers and all. 

 

She then tried to close it without success. 

Eventually, after trying to lay on top of it and only getting the zipper halfway around, she looked up at him, pouting with puppy dog eyes. "Jay, help me!"

 

Scoffing at her adorable expression, he ped it all the way and went to hang all of her things back, knowing that she'd be pissed if all of her clothes were wrinkled in the morning. Because she was staying until at least the morning. There was no way he was going to let her risk moving into any hotel with a check-in this late in her state. She was protesting, but since she was stuck on all fours, unable to get up to stop him, he kept going. 

 

When he walked back into the room with some coconut water and aspirin for her, she was laying on her back, glaring at him. "You may have trapped me but I'm still mad at you."

 

"You should be mad, but I'm sorry. We can talk in the morning. Come on, get into the bed." Pulling her up with both hands and supporting her to her side of the mattress, he let her fall back. 

 

"I'm a little mad but I shouldn't have snapped and left," she mumbled, holding on to his hand. "We're pretty much the same. That's why the fight was so bad. We said what we couldn't have to ourselves. I'm jealous of you that you have complete control over yourself and your music."

 

"I'm jealous of how well you get along with everybody. And your resilience. Every time you failed, you tried again. I don't know what I would have done if my comeback wasn't a success. I promise to try not to blow up at you like that, without reason, again." There was a lull as they processed the new information. Clutching her hand tighter, he said, "I love you. You feel like home to me."

 

She smiled at him, eyes fluttering closed, "I love you too. I'm glad you apologized because I went shopping earlier and I bought you this coat at Louis Vuitton and if we broke up, I'd have to return it." 

 

Heart happy, he settled into bed, curling behind her and drawing her closer. "I hope you remember this part in the morning. I'd hate to do this again."

 

She scoffed, "Sang-min oppa taught me how to drink. I'll be fine in the morning." She drew his hand, fingers laced with hers, up to her lips and kissed it. "And even if I do, I'd still love you. And apparently you hit me up a lot tonight so I'll go through those."

 

Right before his eyes closed, he thought of something. "Hey, where's your car?"

 

"Ugh, . I don't remember."