The Professionals

Let’s Get Crack’n
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a food truck Momo saw in passing as they trailed Kim Dahyun to her workplace. The truck was on the same street as the Tetra Tek, it was just further down. The line of people leading up to it was long and Momo took this as a sign. The food was good, worth the wait. Once Kim Dahyun got inside the building, Momo parked the Aston Martin across the TT and got out without a second thought, ready to tend to her needs.

“Momoring,” Mina called before Momo could shut the door.

Momo paused. Mina held up her wallet with a little grin. Momo always placed it in a free compartment within the car, whether on the dash or in the stowage area between the seats up front. She didn’t like things stuffing up her pant pockets as she drove. Felt like it ed with how she stepped on the pedals. An inconvenience.

Mina tossed the wallet to a sheepish-looking Momo.

“Thanks, Minari,” Momo said, catching her wallet easily and slipping it into a secret pocket inside the lining of her jacket.

Momo whistled as she went. Whistled as she fell in line and waited. Whistled like a missile. Bomb. Bomb. She ordered the food. Ordered an extra helping for herself so she could secretly munch on it on the walk back to the car. Mina and Sana wouldn’t know any better. Or if they did, they would understand. After all, Momo’s appetite was incomparable.

Momo returned to the car and found Mina on the phone, speaking very formally. Despite the person on the other line not being able to see it, Momo found it kind of funny that Mina persisted in keeping her back straight. It was probably Chief Park Jihyo that Mina was talking to.

Momo carefully passed out the mozzarella-filled corn dogs and bottles of Pocari Sweat to Mina and Sana.

“Excuse me a sec, Chief,” Mina said. She put the phone against her chest, covering the mouth piece, and turned to Momo. “You’ve got a little…” Mina said, pointing at Momo’s lips.

“Eh?” Momo hurriedly wiped with a napkin. Found little crumbs.

Whoops. Busted.

Mina shook her head at Momo with an amused smile and got back to speaking to the Chief.

And Momo thought she was being sneaky…

Momo dug into her second corn dog, savoring this more because, unlike with the first one, she didn’t have to be on stealth mode this time. Feeling a little parched, she twisted open the cap from her drink and took a greedy chug. Momo was thirsty.

Not as thirsty as Sana seemed to be, though.

After receiving her share, Sana resumed her position, perched on her knees in the backseat. Since their Aston Martin was a two-door, Sana had to bend her body at a weird angle just so she could poke her head out of Momo’s open window. She strongly resembled a free-spirited dog, a Japanese breed perhaps, just wanting to feel the wind through its fur.

Momo chewed her food thoughtfully. “I’m guessing the kid hasn’t come out yet?” she questioned once Mina put away her phone. Momo sipped at her drink again.

“Obviously,” Mina said, glancing at Sana behind them. Then she leaned over and whispered to Momo, “she hasn’t moved or talked much ever since the girl got in the building and you know her, she’s never this quiet.”

Momo almost choked on her drink.

Mina, not really concerned about Momo’s windpipe, absently bit into her corn dog and stared through the windshield. Then, not really having to say it but saying it anyway, Mina said, “she’s got it bad.”

With Sana breathing down her neck like someone with very bad asthma, and with Sana’s hair falling over Momo’s face on occasion, Momo wasn’t really able to eat in peace. She had to continually slap the brown strands away from her when they got near her corn dog. It was such an ordeal for Momo’s poor unfortunate soul.

By the time Mina and Momo were done eating, Kim Dahyun finally decided to come out of the Tetra Tek building.

Sana was especially clumsy when she was excited so when she spotted Dahyun, she instantly retracted her head from the outside, like a misguided jack-in-the-box, springing the wrong way. In the process, and in true Sana fashion, she knocked the top of her head against the window frame.

The two in the front heard Sana’s pained squeak and a rustle and thud of what Momo suspected was Sana’s corn dog.

.

For a second there, Momo’s heart stopped. Nayeon was going to kill her if she found grease stains in the car. Momo opened her door and jumped out of the driver’s seat so she could fold it down to better examine what was happening in the back. And lo and behold. There it was, on the carpet flooring, slipped out of its kraft paper wrapping, the oily corn dog.

“What? You haven’t touched your food?!” Momo was absolutely scandalized. Third-world countries were starving by the masses and here was Sana, dropping perfectly good food on the floor of a luxury European car.

”I had to concentrate!” Sana reasoned, rubbing the back part of her head, willing it to hurt less.

“Wow I totally see that! Your concentration is just perfect! Your concentration is going to cost me! Do you think interior detailing for a car like this is cheap?” Momo bent down quickly to pick up the offending item. When she straightened up she saw that Sana was immediately back at it, pouncing for the space over the folded seat, looking out of the open car door like it was the only thing that mattered.

Without any warning, Sana started to bounce

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter