Chapter 5

Wild Flowers Worth Knowing

Thank you for reading and commenting, if you do!! Just a reminder, there are depictions of violence and blood contained in this story and this chapter specifically.

 

It was five in the evening when Baekhyun messaged Kyungsoo saying he was staying behind in class to talk with his lecturer. The first-year was waiting by the food court as he always did on a Tuesday, the best friends meeting up to hang together until the two soccer-heads finished practice.

Kyungsoo was almost glad to hear such news from Baekhyun, as he was in no state to pretend that everything was okay in front of his friends. Not only was Kyungsoo a horridly poor liar, but Baekhyun had always managed to wrestle the truth out of him anyway.

Today was an extremely special case, so he knew he would barely be able to greet his friends before they all would know something was off. He’d spent the entire morning skipping classes so he could cry in bed for an hour, then moved on to punching the living hell out of his pillow for two. His afternoon was promoted to going to class, though he definitely didn’t do any learning. Kyungsoo sat as still as stone just thinking about his whole situation, but jumped every time someone so much as bumped his shoulder or sat down next to him.

He’d gotten a fair few concerned looks from acquaintances and strangers alike. He had barely slept and he was pretty sure his shirt was inside-out. He must’ve looked like .

It was five fifteen when Kyungsoo got up from the bench, deciding that he was going to die one way or another while waiting for Jongin and his clan to explain everything to him. If he wanted answers, it was time for plan B.

 

~Wild Flowers Worth Knowing~

 

“You look surprisingly well, all things considered.” Hyunsik said, though he didn’t look surprised at all. He sat on the banister overlooking the Alumni Courtyard of the campus, and focussed back down at the piece of wood he was carving with a switchblade.

Kyungsoo moved to sit down too, though kept a wide berth from the vampire that had undisclosed, yet apparently (from Jongin’s perspective, at least) bad intentions.

“You… know about the attack?” Kyungsoo guessed, not knowing what else Hyunsik could be referring to. How would he have known about the skull man? He was what Jongin had described as a “rogue” vampire, so what connections could he have?

“Which one?” The fellow first year responded with a wicked smile, though he didn’t look up from his quick hand-work. He clearly found Kyungsoo’s status as a target amusing, but the musician couldn’t say the same.

Choosing not to answer, Kyungsoo looked over the garden thoughtfully. The balcony they were both on was a small outcropping, and the human only now felt the fear of being alone with the other. Jongin was not around to save him if things went badly this time, nor was Jongdae. He would have to tread carefully.

Thinking of how to manipulate the conversation was proving difficult, as he didn’t want Hyunsik to know he was uneducated about the vampire world, and he definitely didn’t want Hyunsik to know he was scared.

“Shouldn’t you be careful with that, it’s wood after all.” Kyungsoo asked, vaguely motioning toward the little trinket as Hyunsik peeled slices of timber off expertly.

Hyunsik immediately stopped his task, and looked up at the teenager. He blinked slowly, as if expecting Kyungsoo to elaborate. When the music student didn’t say anything else, he burst into laughter, having to grip the railing so he didn’t fall off.

“As in stakes? Wow, the Kims really didn’t tell you anything, did they.” Hyunsik wheezed as he tried to calm himself down.

Kyungsoo thought back to WitchFollowerWhoKnows’ comments, and they never mentioned an aversion to wood at all, but all the folklore Kyungsoo had ever heard growing up had. Hyunsik’s reaction was more than confirmation that the wood thing was just a myth, and, not for the first time, Kyungsoo found himself wishing Jongin had just told him everything. Instead, he had to compile all these separate sources and figure out what was true and what wasn’t himself.

Well, there went the plan to hide his lack of knowledge about all this.

“What are the “rogues” and the “aligned”, and why do they hate each other?” Kyungsoo asked bluntly. Now Hyunsik knew he had no clue about any of this, he might as well get straight to business.

“So, is that how this works?” Hyunsik retorted, continuing his craft with no trace of his previous smile. “Jongin doesn’t tell you jack and so you come running to me?”

The human looked away from the other first year guiltily, feeling as if he was using the rogue. Apart from that one almost-biting experience a week ago, Hyunsik had always been nice to Kyungsoo. In fact, the music student would have definitely, before all the vampire stuff, called Hyunsik a fairly close friend. So maybe only talking to him when wanting information was a bit douche-y.

After all, Jongin had said that Hyunsik was a newly turned vampire, so more intense bloodthirst was to be expected, right? Thinking back to last Tuesday, Kyungsoo remembered Hyunsik apologising sincerely before leaving, so maybe riding him off as a totally bad person because of one mistake was harsh. Besides, in that moment, Hyunsik looked totally in control of himself. The idea that he would pounce on Kyungsoo again seemed extremely unlikely. But then again, Jongin had said that Hyunsik was in a bad clan, so maybe he was dangerous...

Kyungsoo didn’t know what being a rogue vampire meant, but Hyunsik couldn’t possibly just be friendly because Jongin was, could he? The musician knew virtually nothing about any of this, and yet he wondered if Jongin had it wrong. If so, Kyungsoo would want to keep Hyunsik as a friend, though the vampire he was semi-dating would definitely hate that.

“Hyunsik,” The human said with resignation, turning to look the other in the eye. If he was right, if Hyunsik was a true friend, then Kyungsoo would ask him as one. “Someone’s after me, I’ve almost died twice within three days. I need to know the rules of the game if I have any chance of surviving. Please, help me.

Hyunsik looked back at the helpless human with hesitation. Kyungsoo hoped his expression was as imploring and sincere as he felt, and Hyunsik sighed before breaking the eye contact.

“I can’t tell you much, telling a human is… a big deal for us.” Hyunsik explained, leaning in closer and looking around to make sure they were still alone on the little balcony.

Convinced further by Kyungsoo’s assurance that any information would be helpful, the vampire sighed again before explaining.

“The aligned clans are the ones that are signed on with the Court, and the rogue clans are the ones that aren’t. The Nosferitian Court is a peace organisation that runs the sharing of resources between signed-on clans, keeps humans from finding out about vampires, et cetera. It’s basically the optional vampirian government. All aligned clans are peaceful with one another and subscribe to the Court’s rules, whereas for rogue ones it’s every clan for themselves.” Hyunsik explained, his voice low and his hands deathly still in his lap.

Kyungsoo took barely a moment to let it all sink in, his mind running a mile a minute at finally being told something. It seemed that Hyunsik being a member of a rogue clan, and Jongin being part of an aligned clan made them enemies. But to Kyungsoo’s objective perspective, they didn’t seem so different after all.

“If aligned clans are peaceful, I’m sure you would get along with the Kims if you just-”

“No.” Hyunsik dismissed quickly, crafting his wooden knick-knack with more aggression. “The aligneds have always treated rogues like in’ scum. If Jongin had actually told you anything about any of this, you certainly wouldn’t have tried talking to me again.”

The human thought back to the way Jongin spoke whenever the rogue was mentioned.  Within the past twenty-four hours alone, it was clear to see there was tension between the two. Jongin hadn't hesitated to write Hyunsik off as a bad person, no matter that he was new to being a vampire. Perhaps he did have a prejudice against rogues, after all.

The science major had seemed dismissive of Kyungsoo’s suggestion for a truce, so to try to change the subject, the musician looked at the small project the other was working on.

“What are you carving?” He asked interestedly, looking at what was beginning to look like a figure. The rough form of a body could be distinguished, the arms and shoulders being the most finished aspects. The neck was so thin Kyungsoo was sure the head would fall off if someone breathed too close to it, and the face lacked any detail whatsoever.

“It’s Jilaiya, mother of all vampires.” Hyunsik stated plainly, slicing edges off the block, creating curls in the hair of the woman. “It’s said she created the first vampire by accident, trying to cure her son of a degenerative disease. She kind of represents bad actions, but with pure intentions of love.”

From Hyunsik’s tone, there seemed to be story behind why he would want a wooden doll of this woman, but Kyungsoo thought not to pry further. Figuring that asking questions about vampires might actually be less personal than whatever made the rogue believe in the legend, he thought of one more thing he wanted to know.

“This Nosferitian Court.... They sound good. Why hasn't your clan signed up?” Kyungsoo dangled a leg further over the railing, before realising that maybe as an injury-prone human he shouldn’t be sitting there at all.

“Yeah, they do, but… My clan’s called the C-Clan, as in Chinese Clan. Everyone else in the clan is a Chinese vampire who had to flee China after this big accident happened. Basically, the Chinese version of our Nosferitian Court completely crumbled after this scandal with money syphoning and half-bloods.” Hyunsik looked pained as he explained, like he didn’t know the details very well himself. “And so our clan chooses to put no faith or resources into this Court which could fall apart just as easily.”

Kyungsoo nodded as he leant further away from the edge, though still looked over the beautiful garden below. Then suddenly, his brain clicked.

C-Clan.

When Kyungsoo had overheard the Kim brothers’ talking in the law building the day before, Jongin had said that the carnival “accident” had been caused by them… Was that not true, or was Jongin right? Was Hyunsik just playing Kyungsoo because he knew that the human meant a lot to the aligned, after all?

Kyungsoo’s eyes darted to the rogue next to him, who was now fully focussed on etching small facial features into the piece of timber he held. He had seemed nothing but sincere this entire time, had it been an act?

No, Kyungsoo thought, he couldn’t doubt someone just because Jongin didn’t trust them. He’d already established that Jongin personally disliked Hyunsik, so his claim must have been a continuation of that mistrust.

As the singer settled and watched the other continue to carve expertly, he noticed a glint around the science major’s neck. Sitting between the panels of Hyunsik’s leather jacket, nestled on his grey shirt lay a necklace.

Immediately, Kyungsoo shot up, colour draining from his face. He didn’t care that he almost toppled over the edge of the balcony, quickly climbing back over the banister. Hyunsik seemed surprised by his sudden movement and looked up at the standing boy with a raised eyebrow.

Kyungsoo knew he must have looked just as freaked out as he felt, but he couldn’t find it in him to fake a calm expression.

“Thanks for all that. B-bye.” He stuttered quickly, hurrying back towards the door and away from the vampire. And the familiar silver skull amulet that lay on his chest.

Once inside, he ran all the way across campus until he finally felt like he was out of reach of the other. Was Hyunsik the skull man all along? But he wore the skull around his neck, not on a bracelet. The amulet was the exact same though, with the same black jewels in the eye sockets as the one Kyungsoo’s attacker wore.

It was definitely not a coincidence, not with the crazy week the nineteen-year-old’s been having. Bending over to catch his breath, Kyungsoo concluded that it must be a shared symbol, perhaps every rogue vampire wears one? Or just every member of the Chinese Clan? If Hyunsik himself was not the one to bury his fangs in the human’s neck, it must have been someone else fairly close to him. And who’s to say Hyunsik wasn’t the one who organised the almost-death experience at the carnival? “Every clan for themselves”, indeed.

Jongin was right, they were dangerous. While relieved to know that the second-year’s perspective of things was trustworthy, it somehow made the human more upset with him. It was still the soccer player’s lack of openness that led to Kyungsoo needing to ask around for a sense of the situation. The music major didn’t want to play the Kim Clan’s waiting game, by the time they make their move Kyungsoo could already be dead.

It really began to feel like Kyungsoo was stuck on a sinking boat, and that no matter how much he tried to call out for help, no one came to save him. And what should he expect? He’s only known Jongin and Hyunsik for a few months, the rest of the Kim Clan even less, so there was no reason for them to break their vampire rules for a human like him. He just wished he weren’t stuck in the middle of it.

Taking deep breaths to calm himself before he had a full-blown mental breakdown, Kyungsoo began to walk back to the food court. After all this speculation and possible death, he just wanted the comfort of his friends. His normal, non-vampire-affiliated friends.

“You kind of look like Chucky.” Kyungsoo could hear Baekhyun’s teasing tone as he made it back to the group’s normal meet-up spot. The second-year musical student weaved his fingers through Chanyeol’s recently dyed hair as he commented.

“Chucky’s hair’s orange, not red,” Chanyeol corrected fondly. Across from those two, Minseok dumped his sports bag down on the ground. They must have only just finished soccer practice.

“Hmm? Oh yeah, and your hair colour's kinda similar too.” Baekhyun stuck his tongue out playfully as the larger huffed at the implication.

Seeing his friends act as they regularly did sent a wave of familiarity and security over the newcomer. Here, with these three, Kyungsoo was just a first year musical student, not a human targeted by rogue creatures of the night.

“Hey there, stranger.” Minseok greeted upon seeing the shaken first-year. “We were wondering where you were.”

Kyungsoo tried hard not to think about where he had been, with someone he trusted, but ultimately someone who had been lying to him. Instead, he laughed airily, and took a seat next to the third year.

“I thought maybe you’d gone to watch Jongin run around the soccer pitch, getting all hot and bothered.” Baekhyun said with an eyebrow raised and a cheeky smile.

“Actually,” Chanyeol interrupted suddenly, frowning at his watch. “You’re late for the Student Council meeting, shouldn’t you be heading over?”

The student representative’s stomach dropped. How could he forget? But both Jongin and Hyunsik would be there: the two people he really didn’t want to see. He couldn’t face either of them right now.

“Uh, no.... I’m not going this week.” Kyungsoo explained, unable to think of an excuse that wouldn’t worry his friends or have them ask too many questions.

“Aww, Soo…” Baekhyun said, looking at the younger properly for the first time since he’d sat down. Here it is, Kyungsoo thought, Baekhyun’s magical gaze that can tell exactly what’s wrong with one look.

“Are you avoiding Jongin? ...Did he say something? I swear to god, if he said you’re too immature I’m going to kick him right where the sun don’t shine.”

“No, nothing like that, Baek. It’s fine,” Kyungsoo said, wanting to vent as much as he could without telling the whole truth. “It’s just, there was something that I wish he’d told me earlier, but instead I had to find out about it from someone else… It’s no big deal.”

“It's natural for things like this to happen in a new relationship.” Minseok rubbed comforting circles on the nineteen-year-old’s back. “He really cares about you though, so don't worry. Sometimes you just have to trust them. Even when it's hard.”

Kyungsoo was surprised how relevant the business student's words were to his situation. Should he just trust Jongin when he says it'll all be okay? It was true... the only possible danger the musician had been in since the bite was because he had ignored Jongin’s warning about Hyunsik. Maybe it would be okay. Maybe Jongin would take care of him, and fill him in on the details when the time was right. But still, Kyungsoo didn't want to be some burden that Jongin had to take care of, he wanted to be an equal. But maybe there was no such thing when he was nothing more than a human in a vampire’s world.

“Listen,” Chanyeol piped up, trying to lighten the mood. “Why don't we go grab some dinner? I think we could all use a pick-me-up and I'm getting hungry.”

“Great idea!” Baekhyun immediately brightened, all threats to attack Jongin forgotten. “Some food, some drinks: the perfect way to forget about our piling student debts.”

“No drinking.” Minseok said firmly, picking up his stuff to leave along with the others. “We all have class tomorrow, and Kyungsoo’s got that presentation.”

The first year just groaned in agony, he'd forgotten about that. Being with these three certainly brought normalcy, for better or worse.

On the way to the cheap gogigui place only a few blocks from the college campus, Baekhyun led the group with Minseok, the two discussing Big Bang’s recent album. Kyungsoo knew he should be worrying about tomorrow's presentation or gossiping about the latest celebrity scandal, but everything felt so needless. Who cares that there were photos of two idols in a car together, when any day could be your last. Kyungsoo didn't want to be dramatic, but last night was a major wake-up call. What would have happened to his friends if he just hadn't shown up today? Would Baekhyun have texted him relentlessly during class like usual, only to never get a response? How would his parents react after being contacted by the police? How would the police have reacted to seeing a dead boy with a bite mark on his neck, anyway? Are there vampires in the police, too? Would they have somehow covered up his murder? Kyungsoo had hoped spending time with his friends would stop these thoughts from echoing in his head, but he just couldn’t seem to escape his new reality.

“Hey, Kyung. You good?” Chanyeol fell back from the other two and kept pace with the youngest of the group. “I know it's disappointing, but the first fight is really important in any relationship. It establishes your limits, shows that you both have flaws, and that that’s okay.”

Ha, yeah, that was true. Where Kyungsoo had once thought Jongin was the perfect person, he now saw that was not even close. And he was sure that Jongin was well aware of the younger’s limits, after the shorter had broken down last night.

“It was a bit different for Baekkie and I, considering we were roommates before becoming boyfriends, but I still remember our first fight as a couple…” The older looked off somewhat dreamily. “Baek left a huge glob of peanut butter on one of my socks.”

“Okayy…” Kyungsoo responded when it became clear that the other wasn’t going to elaborate on that particular story. “Listen, Chan. I’m really grateful that you’d try and comfort me, if that’s even what that was, but honestly I just really don’t want to think about it right now.”

Chanyeol nodded with a sympathetic smile, squeezing Kyungsoo’s shoulder in a sort of half-hug. Surprisingly enough, even the small exchange between the two managed to lift the nineteen-year-old’s spirits a little. That was just the effect Chanyeol had on people, had on Kyungsoo. The two had only officially met over the last summer break a bit over a year ago, Baekhyun absolutely needing his best friend and boyfriend to get along. The, at the time, senior high school student had felt a sort of possessiveness over his long-time close friend, knowing that Baekhyun deserved no less than the best. Upon meeting the tall guy, though, Kyungsoo quickly forgot any intentions to try to intimidate the other, as he was so easy to be around. Chanyeol had a chill, easy-going vibe about him, but was also very smiley. Kyungsoo liked him the moment the IT geek had laughed at one of the singer’s jokes. He was a happy virus through and through, just like Baekhyun hadn’t stopped gushing about. Since then, a lot had changed though. Chanyeol wasn’t just his best friend’s boyfriend, he became another person that Kyungsoo grew to rely on. Though the thought hurt the younger’s heart, Chanyeol really was more of an older brother to Kyungsoo than his real one was.

“C’mon, slow folks! If you don’t hurry up, I’m eating your portions too!” Baekhyun yelled from the doorway of the restaurant, blocking a couple who were trying to leave.

“It’s slowpokes.” Minseok corrected from the footpath, trying to push Baekhyun out of the other pedestrians’ way.

“What?”

“...Nevermind.”

Chanyeol laughed joyously, with his head tilted back and a hand on his chest. And, for the first time in what felt like days, Kyungsoo smiled too as he jogged the few feet towards the restaurant, knowing Baekhyun would deliver on his threat if they dawdled too long.

“So…” Baekhyun said after half an hour of grilling their ordered meat, plopping a piece of it in his mouth dramatically as he leant an elbow on the table between them. “What’s the latest on the ‘Jongdae vs Mark: Who will win maiden Minseok’s heart?’ front?”

“Why ‘maiden’?” Kyungsoo asked in confusion between bites as Minseok groaned and Chanyeol slapped his thigh.

“That’s got a good ring to it, babe. I’d watch that if it were a show.”

“Thanks, I’m pretty proud of that one.”

“Ugh.” Minseok sighed, repositioning himself on the strained upholstered booth while wiping a hand over his face in exhaustion. “None of the above. I may be the only single one of us, but that doesn’t mean I’m unhappy about it. Mark is way in the past for me, and Jongdae… I-I barely even know him.”

“You sound kind of defensive. Besides, how can you “barely know” the guy that helps you train?” Baekhyun asked, giving the eldest a self-assured look, like he knew that he’d caught Minseok out in a lie.

The business student just rolled his eyes, the taller of the two soccer players speaking before Minseok had time to refute.

“Jackson helps me goal sometimes, and no one really knows much about him.” Chanyeol interjected, before thinking more about what he’d just said. “Actually, today we talked quite a lot. He seemed really interested in hearing about my friends. I think he’s finally opening up.”

“That’s great, Yeol. But I’m not done asking Minseok about his personal trainer. I bet he really helps you learn new positions.” Baekhyun patted Chanyeol’s leg before smiling mischievously back at Minseok, his voice dripping with innuendo.

“Oh, gross Baek.” Kyungsoo halted his best friend’s attack on the third year, waving his arms around as if he could physically shoo the mental images away. “I think I’d prefer to hear about how Chan is actually befriending Jackson. He seems so… rude.”

“Yeah, I know right?” Chanyeol perked back up, happy to be engaged. “But he was actually nice, he even asked after you specifically, Kyung.”

“Oh? Maybe he wants to apologise for what he did after last week’s game.” Kyungsoo wondered aloud, optimism bright in his tone.

“Jackson? Unlikely.” Minseok dismissed with an unimpressed expression. “He seems dangerous, I try and keep my distance. You should too, Do.”

Minseok’s face was set seriously, and his voice had what the nineteen-year-old called his ‘dad tone’. If Minseok thought that a ruffian like Jackson was bad news, Kyungsoo was sure that the third year would unenroll the younger from college immediately if he knew what kinds of people really hung around the campus.

“I hear he’s in a gang,” Baekhyun whispered conspiratorially, leaning further into the conversation. “He hangs out with bikies and has heaps of tattoos.”

“Actually, I’ve seen him without a shirt on, and he only has a few…” Chanyeol interjected, thinking back to all the time shared in the locker rooms after practice.

“Oh. Well, the rest is definitely still true.” The gossiper assured, enjoying his position at the centre of the discussion.

“Is it? I’m pretty sure-”

“Be a darl and get the bill, won’t you Channie?”

 

~Wild Flowers Worth Knowing~

 

Having eaten a full meal and spent some quality time with friends, Kyungsoo barely felt the chill air as they left the restaurant, and the group of four laughed and joked merrily as they walked down the streets on their way home. It was late on a Tuesday, so thankfully not many others were around to be annoyed by their boisterousness. Not enough time had passed when the lively fun came to an end, Minseok splitting off from the other three with a wave, heading for his apartment instead of the college dorms.

After the eldest of the group left, Kyungsoo noticed Baekhyun give Chanyeol a light shove with his elbow and a pointed look. The tallest of the three looked surprised but nodded anyway, pulling back from the other two, and Kyungsoo knew what was going to happen before his best friend even opened his mouth.

“What’s going on?” Baekhyun had a serious yet gentle tone, and he didn’t look directly at Kyungsoo as he spoke.

“We’re walking home.”

“I know that much.” Baekhyun did turn to look at Kyungsoo then, a disapproving crease forming next to his mouth as he let it be known he didn’t appreciate the younger’s curt response.

“Nothing important.” Kyungsoo tried again, staring back at the second year. He hoped his steady eye contact would be convincing, though knowing it wasn’t likely.

“I've known you for ages, Soo, I can tell when you're lying.”

“I'm not lying. I seriously have nothing to tell. Nothing's going on,” Kyungsoo claimed as he looked forward again, his stomach dropping and twisting in guilt. He swallowed down the lump in his throat, knowing that no matter how much he wanted to come clean about everything to the person he trusted most, that he couldn’t. If he told Baekhyun, whether or not the elder even believed him, Kyungsoo couldn’t promise that he wouldn’t become the next target. He wouldn’t let harm come to his friends in the same way Jongin had him. Even though he really wanted nothing more than to get it all off his chest, to tell Baekhyun that he didn’t know what to do, that he still liked Jongin but didn’t trust him, that he was scared for his life, Kyungsoo said nothing.

“Yeah? Well your shirt looks like .” Baekhyun said immaturely, his voice half-joking. The sudden exclamation brought Kyungsoo out of his thoughts, and he was glad that the second-year seemed willing to let the topic go for the moment.

“Well... Your pants look like .”

“Hells yeah they do!” Baekhyun shouted enthusiastically, slapping his for emphasis as he strutted down the footpath. A hoot of laughter erupted from behind the pair, and Kyungsoo couldn’t believe he’d walked right into Baekhyun’s trap.

Chanyeol continued to laugh, wrapping an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders as he squeezed his tall frame between the two shorter friends. He and Baekhyun quickly started up a conversation again and Kyungsoo was content to just listen in. The cold breeze was starting to get to him and he couldn’t shake the familiar way the empty surroundings made him feel restless. The three walked through closed shopping strips and dark shadows jumped in the corner of his eye. He knew he was only being paranoid, there was safety in numbers after all, but considering what he’d gone through the night before, Kyungsoo figured he was allowed to be a little skittish.

He definitely wasn’t being paranoid, however, when a tight tug on his outer arm pulled him from Chanyeol’s grasp and into the nearby foliage in front of a travel agency. A leather grip dug into the same spot of his neck that had been magically healed the day prior and Kyungsoo let out a scream.

“What the- Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol shouted as soon as he registered his companion’s absence, whirling around to catch up to whoever had grabbed him. The first year could feel the cold sting against his collarbone of a skull amulet from the wrist of the man behind him and he tried to pry the fingers off him before he could be bitten again. “Hey, get the hell off him!”

Chanyeol grabbed the man’s shoulder, but before he could do more than glare and yell at him, the attacker’s other hand shot out to shove him, sending the six-foot man barrelling into the nearby brick wall.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun already had his phone out, most likely hurriedly trying to call the police, but the skull-jeweled man was faster. Kyungsoo felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder as the man grabbed and twisted his arm, pushing him aside in order to slap the phone out of Baekhyun’s hand before the call could go through. He whipped around, wearing the same balaclava as the night before and reached out to seize Kyungsoo’s neck again.

A crunchy smack resounded in the leafy incropped area of the closed travel agency as Chanyeol returned to deliver a punch right to the other guy’s face. It didn’t seem to phase him much and, instead of punching him back, he snatched the front of Chanyeol’s shirt to pull him forward.

If Kyungsoo had learnt anything within the past twenty-four hours, it was exactly what was about to happen next. He couldn’t let something horrible happen to one of his friends, especially not when it was initially meant for him. Kyungsoo made a move to try and tear the attacker away from Chanyeol, who was now stuck in a headlock, when another pair of arms s around him and held him back.

“No!” Kyungsoo thrashed in the hold, reaching out to his best friends. This couldn’t be happening, the attacker couldn’t possibly have backup. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were innocent, they didn’t deserve to be punished for something that was either his own fault, or Jongin’s.

“Calm down, Kyungsoo.” The whisper was desperate in his ear, and he jerked to the side to see that it was indeed Jongin who held him back. How he’d gotten there, or when exactly, stayed a mystery. A glance to his right showed that a very frightened Baekhyun was also being held back, though his detainer was Krystal. None of the other members of the Kim family seemed to be present, and Kyungsoo wondered why. They could really use their help right about now.

Noticing the arrival of two more people, the attacker held Chanyeol tightly by the throat as he backed up a bit, putting distance between the two of them and the rest of the onlookers. He seemed hesitant, surprised almost, but not at all scared. He didn’t seem to be looking for an exit, and that alone made Kyungsoo weary.

“Put the human down.” Jongin’s voice was deep and resolute, the volume of the projection almost making Kyungsoo wince in his arms. It was only at that point that he actually stopped struggling, willing to let Jongin have a go at resolving the situation. “If you bite him you know there will be a war between our clans.”

The skull-jeweled man laughed. He chuckled like Jongin was a child reading a joke from a Christmas cracker, letting the arm that pinned Chanyeol’s tall form to his chest go, and bringing it up to peel back his balaclava.

“Jackson!?” Baekhyun yelled, starting forward before Krystal yet again reeled him back. “What are you doing, let Chanyeol go! Can’t you see you’re hurting him?!”

Jackson merely sent a slight grin to the shorter second year as he squeezed tighter around Chanyeol’s throat, the IT student emitting a sound mixed between a cough and a splutter. He turned back to Jongin, scowling as he spoke.

“You’d like me to start a war, wouldn’t you? Since you’ve been gathering your army, and all.” He looked pointedly to Kyungsoo, his meaning clear. ‘Dating’ a human could only lead to one thing in the vampire’s mind. “Well I’m not going to let you aligneds get what you want.”

Jackson stretched his mouth unnaturally wide, his jaw cracking as it unhinged. Thin, delicate and entirely lethal blades grew from his teeth, and though Kyungsoo knew what was going to happen next, seeing it from a third-party perspective made it all the more horrifying.

Baekhyun had begun whining pleas somewhere to his right, and whether they were to Jackson, Krystal -- who still held him tightly -- or a higher power was lost on the first-year.

A wet crunch rang out in the deserted street as the fangs ripped through Chanyeol’s flesh. Kyungsoo flinched at the sound and Baekhyun cried out to his boyfriend, now gripping Krystal just as hard as she was him.

Chanyeol’s mouth was open in a silent scream, his eyes bugged-out and glossy. He was deathly pale, even in the dark moonlight, the only colour to his skin being the dark red that dripped from Jackson’s lips and ran down the side of his neck.

Kyungsoo watched, and he knew he should see one of his best friends -- one of the people he would never want hurt -- bleeding out in front of him. But all he saw was himself, dying alone in that alley last night. Only twenty-four hours ago.

It wasn’t fair, how this man Kyungsoo barely even knew got to play God in his life.

Filled with rage and naive courage, Kyungsoo found the strength to try and lunge at the creature. If no one else was going to do anything, he would. He brushed off Jongin’s arm that had loosened around his waist and started his run-up to the monster who appeared as a man. He didn’t know what he was going to do, but he had to try something. For Chanyeol.

He must have underestimated a vampire’s speed, or maybe just Jongin’s, because he grabbed the back of Kyungsoo’s backpack before he’d even taken three steps, forcefully pulling him back away from the other vampire. Kyungsoo was ready to start thrashing again until Jongin let go of him, willing to even scream until he was given a chance to do something. All thoughts of resisting Jongin’s restriction suddenly went to smoke as his attention was yet again stolen by Jackson, who finally extracted his fangs from Chanyeol’s neck.

The dangerous vampire’s entirely pitch-black eyes transformed back to dark brown irises surrounded by white as his elongated teeth slinked back into his mouth and the bones in his jaw scraped and snapped back into place. His gaze stayed trained on the human who was his original target as he the blood from his lips, the thick liquid dribbling off his chin and down Chanyeol’s cheek.

“Don’t take a step closer, little human.” Jackson’s voice was hoarse, adding an even more dangerous edge to his tone. “Or your not-so-little friend will be cursed to a life worse than death.”

Chanyeol gurgled, his throat bobbing as he attempted to swallow down the blood that rushed into his airways and drowned him.

“Please.” Baekhyun begged with a sob, his face tear-stained and contorted in pain. “Please, just stop.”

Jackson glanced at the heartbroken boy, who unknowingly gripped to a creature just as deadly as himself, and smiled.

“Jongin, turn the human and I will do this to everyone he cares about. One by one.” Jackson warned darkly, looking the other vampire in the eye.

He hoisted the injured college student by his collar, a wet cough escaping his lungs. Jackson continued to grab Chanyeol’s neck with both hands, his grip almost slipping from the slick blood still oozing from the wound.

The pop of Chanyeol’s spine as Jackson snapped his neck would stay with Kyungsoo forever, the vision haunting him when he closed his eyes, and the human found himself in a daze as the shock sank in. Chanyeol crumpled to the ground as Jackson fled the scene, and Kyungsoo barely registered Baekhyun screaming and falling in Krystal’s arms. Jongin was in front of the nineteen-year-old in a moment, shaking him lightly and asking if he was okay. When no reply came, he shook his head as if scolding himself for even asking, moving Kyungsoo in the direction of the crying and screeching bundle on the sidewalk.

As soon as Baekhyun saw Kyungsoo, he immediately let go of Krystal and clung to the younger like a lifeline. Only when squeezed by Baekhyun’s arms did Kyungsoo remember his shoulder injury, the extreme pain pulling him out of his haze. Baekhyun gripped the boy tightly, his fingers digging into Kyungsoo’s back and his yells muffled by the younger’s shirt.

Turning his head to Chanyeol’s body, he watched mutely as Jongin lifted him up and instructed Krystal to do something, her form then bending over to inspect the puddle of blood left on the ground.

“Kyungsoo!” Jongin’s voice boomed, a sure sound of authority amongst all the chaos. Something Kyungsoo could focus on. “Bring Baekhyun, follow me. Now.”

Baekhyun seemed to have completely switched off, as Kyungsoo had to half drag the second-year after Jongin’s figure which moved far too fast for one under the body weight of tall Chanyeol.

“He’s dead, he’s dead, he’s dead.” Baekhyun’s voice was loud and shaky in the other’s ear, and Kyungsoo replied to each of Baekhyun’s statements with a solid “he’s not, don’t worry”.

Backlights flashed as Jongin unlocked his car, dropping the contorted pile of limbs and shoving them roughly into the trunk. He opened the back door and ushered the two humans inside, before running to the driver’s seat and revving the engine.

“He’s going to be alright, right Jongin? Your healer will fix him like he did to me yesterday, right?” Kyungsoo asked in a burst, needing to reassure both Baekhyun, who was whimpering in his lap, and himself.

“Don’t worry, not now.” Jongin said instead of agreeing, his gaze flicking nervously to all the rear-view mirrors. “Krystal will clean everything up, it’ll look like nothing ever happened.”

Kyungsoo was too panicked to be unhappy with the answer, rubbing his best friend’s back and softly telling him everything was going to be okay.

After reaching the Kim Clan’s apartment-complex-turned-mansion, Jongdae and the healer, who had been waiting outside for them, immediately carried Chanyeol’s body inside, followed quickly by the other three car passengers. In the lobby they laid down the twenty-year-old’s lifeless corpse, and the sight was far worse under the indoor bright lights. The once kind-hearted and goofy young man’s permanent smile was replaced with a purple and slightly swollen mouth gaping like a fish, his glassy eyes unfocused and dull. His neck was disfigured and twisted too far to the right. The angle gave the perfect view of the blooming lotus of red that still dripped from the small puncture wounds barely noticeable along the left side of his throat.

Seulgi, who Kyungsoo recognised from the carnival though it felt like a lifetime ago by now, walked in with purpose. She held a large white bedsheet and handed two corners to the healer, who walked to the other side of the motionless body and draped the cloth over its entirety.

“Wait, wait, wait.” Kyungsoo interrupted, turning to Jongin as Baekhyun fell to the floor, again in tears, and sobbed. “Aren’t you going to save him?!”

Jongin swallowed at the younger’s confused and angry tone and glanced at the other Kims in the room as if looking for assistance.

“Let me help you first.” The healer walked up and guided Kyungsoo to a close chair. “I am Yixing, by the way. I don’t think I was properly introduced during all the chaos yesterday.”

Though Yixing’s tone was calm and pleasant, Kyungsoo couldn’t afford to think about himself at such a time. Who knew how much time they had until it was too late to heal Chanyeol, they couldn’t waste any resources on an inconsequentially sore shoulder. However, before Kyungsoo could voice his thoughts on the matter, the somewhat familiar stinging sensation washed over his upper arm and he grunted in an attempt to deal with the pain.

As the much more relieving feeling of warmth enveloped the injury, Kyungsoo’s eyes wandered to the far side of the room where Jongin, Jongdae and Seulgi all spoke with crossed arms, though the latter rubbed her hand up and down Jongin’s side in a comforting gesture. His gaze then fell to a few feet away where Baekhyun rocked himself and gripped tightly to the hand that peaked out from under the white sheet placed over Chanyeol’s form. The difference in their skins’ colour was glaringly obvious, while Baekhyun’s long fingers were caramelised with life, Chanyeol’s hand was already an ashy white.

It was this image that finally pierced through his obstinance and reached Kyungsoo’s heart.

“He’s…” The human felt tears pricking his eyes, and was surprised at how hard it was to admit aloud. “You can’t heal him, can you.”

Yixing placed his hands on the other’s knees as he leant in front of him. “I’m so sorry, but once he’s dead… There’s nothing I can do.”

Kyungsoo wanted to yell at him, at Jongin, at Jackson. Instead, he walked back over to Baekhyun and sat next to him, pulling the older into his embrace, Chanyeol’s hand falling out of his grip in the process. After what must have been ten minutes of solid weeping, the first-year felt like his whole face was blocked with snot and numbness, and the tears halted. Baekhyun also calmed himself down enough to wipe at the wetness of his cheeks and look around their surroundings.

“What was that…” Baekhyun whispered in Kyungsoo’s ear with fear, looking around to make sure the Kims weren’t listening. “What was that thing that looked like Jackson?”

Kyungsoo stared at the elder with resigned sadness. Just as Jongin had put Kyungsoo in danger by not telling him the truth, Kyungsoo had done the same to Baekhyun and Chanyeol. If he had answered Baek’s earlier questions about Jongin honestly, maybe things would have gone differently, maybe Chanyeol would still be alive. Either way, he wasn’t going to make the same mistake again.

“A vampire. They all are.” He responded, nodding in the direction of Jongdae and the others, who still chatted amongst themselves, though Jongin hung his head low and pulled at his hair with his hands. Kyungsoo’s gaze lingered there, watching as Jongin submerged himself in guilt. The vampire had definitely done things wrong, but maybe Kyungsoo had too. His friends were his responsibility, so it should’ve been an obvious choice to not let them all walk home along an empty street. Though yesterday’s incident was not at all his fault, maybe today’s was. Tearing his vision away from Jongin, Kyungsoo just thought about how grateful he was that Minseok lived in a more populated area.

When Kyungsoo returned his sight to Baekhyun, his eyes were widened in fear and disbelief. He looked down at the white material with growing stains of red spread across it, and after a moment he seemed to accept the explanation. Looking back at Kyungsoo, he seemed to put the pieces together.

“You… the carnival… You were right? Jongin, he…”

Kyungsoo nodded his head, knowing his best friend wouldn’t be able to finish his sentence properly.

“We need to get out of here.” Baekhyun burst, shaking his head to clear it. He started getting up but Kyungsoo pulled him back down.

“No, we’re safer in here. We leave and Jackson could get us too.”

“Trapped in - where are we, an apartment building? - with a whole freaking gang of them?”

The Kims heard the kerfuffle and began making their way over to the humans, and one glance told Kyungsoo that Jongin was clearly dreading the impending confrontation.

“It mightn’t seem like it, but trust me. They’re the good guys.” Kyungsoo whispered finally, squeezing Baekhyun’s hand. Though this seemed to slightly settle the other for the moment, it did nothing for the younger. He still wasn’t totally sure where the Kims sat along the good guys vs bad guys spectrum. He hoped he hadn’t just lied to his best friend again.

“I just want to start off by saying I’m really sorry,” Jongdae said, kneeling in front of Baekhyun who stared back like he was seeing the charming soccer player with new eyes. “Chanyeol’s a great guy, he didn’t deserve this. None of you did.”

“Stay.” Baekhyun commanded firmly, his stare suddenly turning dark as he glared right at the apologising vampire. “The. Hell. Away. From. Minseok.”

Jongdae raised his eyebrows in surprise and stood back up, turning to Jongin who bit his lip nervously. “Well, your turn.”

“We don’t have time for this.” Boomed a new commanding voice from the top of the wide staircase, a phone held to an ear. “Make sure the police know nothing, then you and Krystal come straight back… Okay… Good. Keep me updated, Sehun.”

Junmyeon hung up the phone then turned back to the group in the lobby, and began giving orders.

“Seulgi, get the infirmary on the second floor set up for both the turning and the human. Yixing, help me carry him up the stairs. Then, clean him off, we don't want any unnecessary hysteria.”

The Kim Clan leader marched down the stairs as Seulgi nodded and climbed back up them, Yixing moving to help pick the covered body off the marble flooring. After having hoisted him up easily between the two of them, Jongdae announced that he would wash the residual blood off the floor, leaving in search of a rag.

Seeing them begin to take his boyfriend away, further into the vampire’s fortress, Baekhyun called out. “Wait-!”

“Jongin.” Junmyeon addressed, while walking up the stairs sideways and carrying Chanyeol’s feet. “For God’s sake, explain the situation to them.”

Jongin nodded, looking down at the two best friends huddled on the floor guiltily.

“Chanyeol died…” He began with the obvious, frowning in thought about how best to explain what was going on. “But he’ll come back. He’s... turning.”

In response to the news, Kyungsoo stood up immediately, dragging the taller human with him.

“You mean he’s turning into a vampire? Why didn’t you say so earlier?” Kyungsoo asked Jongin with a frown, quickly turning to face Baekhyun and squeezing his hands in relief. “He’s going to be okay.”

“Actually…” Jongin interrupted, fiddling with his fingers. “He’s not turning into a vampire, he’s turning into a… a half-blood.”

“What the even is that.” Baekhyun asked flatly, the anger he’d earlier aimed at Jongdae clearly not letting up. The trumping emotion for Kyungsoo, however, was confusion and he leant closer with a questioning look, though also making sure to create a slight barrier between the two others.

“As in, the nightmarish vampire half-breed known to go insane and feast on human blood?” Kyungsoo asked in complete shock. Just thinking back to the drawing of a half-blood he found in the book Wild Flowers Worth Knowing gave him the heebie-jeebies, but for them to actually be real along with vampires was crazy. They were truly ferocious when compared with normal vampires, so it said, and for that to be one of Kyungsoo’s best friends… He couldn’t imagine it.

“Well, yes… But it’s not that bad!” Jongin placated, his arms up in a sort of surrender. “Yes, whereas vampires only need human blood to heal, half-bloods need it like the rest of us need regular food to survive. But as long we can provide that to him in a non-violent way, everything should be fine.”

“I thought they were like… incapable of being, y’know, normal.” Kyungsoo said, unsure if that was a… speciesist comment to make.

“When they get really hungry, the bloodthirst can take over. If that happens, they're called a half-blood ‘in phase’, and that’s when they become so instinctual that they won’t even recognise someone they know. The human part of their brain virtually shuts down,” Jongin said hesitantly, eyeing Baekhyun wearily like he was scared the comparatively weak human was going to harm him somehow for saying something he didn’t want to hear. “But don’t worry, we won’t let that happen to Chanyeol, he’ll be the same guy you always knew. Just, drinking blood instead of Gatorade.”

Jongdae strode back in, a yellow cloth in hand, and he crouched over the red pool that spread along the marble. He glanced up as he wiped it off, like he only just then noticed the silence that had settled over the lobby area, setting his gaze on Jongin with raised eyebrows. The taller of the two vampires gave a small nod back, most likely signalling that he’d told the two humans that Chanyeol was turning and not actually dead.

“Cool,” Jongdae said as he admired his finished work, ignoring the new blood stain on the cloth. He stood up and sent Baekhyun his customary cheeky grin while continuing. “You can apologise for being curt at any time, by the way.”

“That won’t be happening.” Baekhyun shot the idea down immediately, his tone sharp and his usual cheeriness completely gone. Kyungsoo reached out and touched his elbow lightly, trying to get his attention away from the one-sided glare match, but Baekhyun flinched out of his grasp. “I want to see him.”

“Aye aye, captain.” Jongdae didn’t seem to let the tension get to him as he sent a salute to the still serious-looking Baekhyun. “Right this way.”

“I’ll be with you soon,” Kyungsoo interjected before the two could walk far, knowing he and Jongin had to talk things through urgently before he could join them. Baekhyun, however, didn’t turn back to look at the younger, instead throwing a short “fine” over his shoulder as he continued to follow Jongdae up the stairs and out of sight.

Kyungsoo sighed, thinking that maybe he wasn’t the only one who had realised just how much at fault he was.

“Do you want to stay down here, or..?” Jongin asked with a soft voice, his posture, though not particularly different, was inherently submissive. Kyungsoo, while somewhat glad to see him so remorseful, just wanted to get the apology and explanation out of the way. He wasn’t sure if much had changed between Jongin and his clan, but hoped that the taller was now permitted to give him more information.

“Let’s go up to your place.”

The two moved quietly, standing close but not ever making contact, as they walked to the elevator and got inside. Kyungsoo didn’t like the awkward air between them, and he wondered if other relationships were this difficult, this early on. He hoped it wouldn’t stay this difficult as time went on. Thinking back on it, he realised that wow, he’d just assumed that they’d stay together even though Jongin was a literal vampire that had, by omission, almost gotten him killed a handful of times, as well as having gotten one of his best friends actually killed. He wasn’t so sure he could forgive the other so easily after that.

“Please, sit,” Jongin said, motioning to the soft cream sofa Kyungsoo had gotten a glimpse of previously, after they’d exited the lift. The room -- no, entire building -- was so classy, Kyungsoo felt unbelievably out of place just looking around, let alone sitting there. But he had to admit, the couch was really comfortable.

“Kyungsoo, I just want to say… I’m so sorry.” Jongin sat on the same sofa, a respectable distance away, and turned to face the younger with hands clasped in his lap. His expression was nothing short of sincere, and Kyungsoo nodded in acknowledgement. “I really never wanted any of this for you, let alone your friends. Junmyeon set a human ban for us for a reason -- to protect people like you -- and I know that now. It was wrong and selfish of me to put you in so much danger, and I can never make that up to you.”

The vampire bit his lip while ducking his head, and Kyungsoo was almost scared he was going to start crying. Jongin was a sweet soul, that was something Kyungsoo had known for a long time. Even when they had just been college friends, Jongin had been very kind and attentive. He’d walked Kyungsoo to lecture theatres he was unfamiliar with, asked to make sure he was adjusting to his workload, and always listened well whenever he went on a rant about something inconsequential. And now Jongin sat in front on him, the vision of guilt-ridden despair, and Kyungsoo just knew he’d not meant for any of this to happen.

It was for that reason alone, that the younger reached a hand out to rest it atop Jongin’s.

“I know, but… but I forgive you.”

Jongin looked up, startled, but reflexively unclasped his hands to wrap them around Kyungsoo’s colder one. The younger cracked a smile at the unadulterated hope that started sparkling in Jongin’s eyes, and tilted his head as he spoke.

“I can’t speak for the others, and I don’t think Baekhyun will be so easy to sway, but I forgive you. I know you, Jongin. You like bungeoppang, and soccer, and murder mystery novels. Yeah, you make mistakes, but you apologise for them, and learn from them. I can’t hold that against you.” Kyungsoo chuckled lightly as Jongin’s bright smile took form, his eyes swimming with relief and something akin to affection. Before Jongin could get too happy though, Kyungsoo schooled his expression. “That is, as long as you promise to be one-hundred percent honest from now on. That’s gotta be how this works.”

“I promise.” Jongin nodded eagerly, rubbing one of his thumbs in a circle over the back of Kyungsoo’s hand. “I’ll be better.”

“Me too.” Kyungsoo placed his other hand on top of the pile, smiling serenely until he remembered something. “Speaking of being honest, maybe I should mention I talked to Hyunsik today…”

“You did? You need to be careful around him, Kyungsoo. He's dangerous.” Something serious flashed across Jongin’s eyes, and Kyungsoo just hoped it was protectiveness given the last time the three of them had been in the same room, and not anger that Kyungsoo had spoken alone with the rogue vampire after Jongin had explained why he shouldn't.

“Yeah, I should’ve listened to you when you warned me about him. He didn’t try anything at least, so it’s okay. I won’t be in a rush to talk to him again any time soon, though. Being a rogue vampire, and all. He’s in the same clan as Jackson, isn’t he?”

Jongin nodded his head in affirmation, his gaze slightly to the left of Kyungsoo’s eyes. His brow furrowed, and his mouth sat slightly open. He seemed to be about to say something and Kyungsoo waited for him to get his thoughts together.

“You’re not… you don’t mind, do you? That I’m… a vampire?” Jongin asked the question tentatively, and it made Kyungsoo wonder if maybe Jongin was somehow self-conscious about it.

Given what he’d seen Jackson do, it was fair to say that vampires could be pretty damn frightening when they wanted to, and the idea that gentle Jongin could be the same way was… weird. He didn’t know how he felt about it, quite frankly. He’d not thought about it. He’d always seen Jongin as just Jongin, even after he’d told Kyungsoo the truth.

“Can I see them? Your fangs?” The slight squeeze to his hand let Kyungsoo know about the hesitation Jongin was feeling even more than the way he briefly in his lower lip. Kyungsoo let his upper hand trace gently over the contours of Jongin’s, trying to give him a reassuring look. “You won’t scare me, I promise.”

At this, Jongin finally nodded his head, retracting his hands from Kyungsoo’s grip. He shuffled even further away on the couch and cleared his throat. Wiping his hands on his pants, he shut his eyes and took in a deep breath. When he next opened them, both his eyes were fully black and though there was no way to really tell, he felt it when Jongin looked directly at him. The stare pinned him to his seat and he fleetingly thought to take his request back. He didn’t though, mostly because his mouth was glued shut and his throat constricted closed. Jongin eventually opened his mouth, and the same two blades of bone that Jackson had stretched out from between his regular teeth. He sat with them shining in the well-lit lounge room and Kyungsoo took his time just looking at them.

When the human felt his heartbeat calm down, and was definitely sure Jongin wasn’t going to pounce on him, he shuffled forward slightly. Jongin blinked his black holes questioningly, but otherwise didn’t move. Gaining a little confidence from this, Kyungsoo scooched a little closer again, until he was right in front of him.

“No, it’s okay.” Kyungsoo whispered as Jongin flinched back, reaching his hand out slowly. He patted Jongin cheek, noticing how the taller’s breathing had fastened, and tried to sooth him with quiet “shhh shhh”s.

Jongin relaxed himself with a few more deep breaths, and Kyungsoo then took his chance to move his hand from Jongin’s cheek to his mouth. Using his index finger, the nineteen-year-old traced along Jongin’s bottom lip, then around the top one, he brought up his other hand to hold Jongin’s jaw in place as he ran a finger down one fang. He saw how the vampire’s throat constricted as he swallowed, and Kyungsoo continued until he reached the tip, giving it a soft flick of his fingertip.

“There we go, not scary at all.” Kyungsoo finished his sentence by grazing a thumb across the taller’s cheekbone and Jongin closed his mouth and eyes simultaneously, fluttering his eyelids open again only a moment later, the irises returned to a beautiful, rich brown.

“You’re really okay with it?” Jongin asked as he clung to Kyungsoo’s hand again, and his gaze was expectant and imploring. It saddened the younger to think that this had been a concern of his.

“Of course, did you think I wouldn’t accept you?” The lack of an answer was answer enough. “You’re just Jongin, and I’m just me. Nothing will change that.”

Kyungsoo hadn’t expected the sudden embrace as Jongin pulled the shorter into his arms, but he immediately hugged back, squeezing his face into Jongin’s chest. He smiled against the warm fabric of the navy-blue sweater, and he felt more relieved after the last two days than he thought he could. He knew this didn’t mean everything was different, but it still meant something important. Kyungsoo was going to get his honesty, and Jongin was able to be himself. The thought that things were good between the two of them again made Kyungsoo content. When the hug ended, he gripped Jongin on either side of his head and pulled it forward to kiss him on the cheek. When they parted, both Kyungsoo and Jongin had matching smiles, and Kyungsoo couldn’t have been happier.

“This might be a little insensitive…” Kyungsoo gripped the older’s hand again, trying to make Jongin understand he didn't mean anything offensive by the question he was about to ask. “But, are you technically ‘undead’?”

Chanyeol had died, Kyungsoo had been there. He stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating, but he was about to reanimate. That technically made him undead, and Kyungsoo realised he didn't actually know how someone became a vampire. More than the fact that simply getting bitten didn't turn you, of course, as otherwise he would have turned into one himself. But presumably they had to die in some way before becoming one. There was something about the distinction between regular supernatural and undead supernatural that had Kyungsoo almost squirming in his seat. Not because he wouldn't accept Jongin as an undead creature, but the image of a younger Jongin lying on the ground, dead, as Chanyeol had been only an hour beforehand, made Kyungsoo feel horrible. No one should have to go through that, after all.

“No, actually.” Jongin looked down and fiddled with Kyungsoo’s fingers idly. “Half-bloods are probably classified as undead, because to make a half-blood you have to bite them then kill them before the bite heals. Vampires are made through a little more of a complicated process, though.”

He looked up at Kyungsoo as he bit the corner of his lip, his open expression asking if the other wanted to hear the process. Kyungsoo nodded earnestly, amusedly thinking that Jongin should have known his curiosity wouldn't have ended with the direct answer to his question.

“Well, to turn someone into a vampire you actually have to inject them with vampire’s blood. Vampirism isn't something that inherently has anything to do with death, and when they do mix a weird half-human half-vampire thing, now known as a half-blood, is created. Anyway, for a regular vampire you inject the vampiric infection in the form of vampire’s blood into a human, which will immediately knock them out. You have to keep giving them regular injections until they wake up turned. Everyone takes a different amount of time to wake up, and some people wake up with other symptoms. Yixing and the ability to heal, me and teleportation, et cetera. Really, it’s quite-”

“Sorry…” Kyungsoo couldn't help but interrupt, his previous information-absorbing mindset shifting at the most recent revelation. “You can teleport?”

“Yeah, every member of our clan has a power-”

“That's how you did it! Isn't it! The carnival and the falling wall and the whole saving my life thing.” In Kyungsoo’s excitement, he playfully punched Jongin in the chest. “I've been trying to work out for ages how you did that, there was no way you pushed me out of the way.”

“You realised? Well, I’m sorry for lying about that…” Jongin looked sheepish again as he half-heartedly rubbed his left pectoral, and Kyungsoo immediately waved away his apology with a shake of his head. He wasn't upset, not now that he knew he could ask anything and Jongin would give him a satisfactory answer.

“That's crazy… You can really teleport anywhere you want?” Kyungsoo shuffled closer again, giving Jongin’s chest one apologetic pat where he'd punched him, and leant his head on the vampire’s shoulder. Teleportation had to be the coolest superpower, or disease symptom, or whatever it technically was.

“Well, it's pretty limited by distance. I can't just go to France all of a sudden or anything.” He wrapped an arm around Kyungsoo and pulled him closer, leaning his own head on top of the human’s.

Kyungsoo wanted to ask just how far he could go, when Jongin’s phone began blaring in his pocket. The whining ringtone grated against Kyungsoo’s ears, and he scooted away so Jongin could dig through his pocket to find the device. When he did, Kyungsoo just watched silently as he accept the call and held it to his ear.

“Jongdae?” Jongin frowned and Kyungsoo wasn't sure if it was bad news or if he was just listening to what his fake brother was saying with extreme concentration, as Kyungsoo couldn't hear what was said on the other side of the line. “Ah, I see. We'll be right there.”

He hung up and smiled at Kyungsoo, who just looked back with raised eyebrows and an expectant look.

“Chanyeol’s awake.”

The pair didn't leave immediately, both of them having a small, well-meaning squabble about whether or not they should just skip the elevator ride and teleport straight there, but eventually Jongin cracked and agreed to use his power. Just this once, he'd made clear, because he felt bad for having lied about it to Kyungsoo initially.

The teleportation trip was different than what Kyungsoo had though it would be. He'd expected for a sudden switch in surroundings that he'd barely notice, maybe a cartoon-esque pop! would signal their arrival, even. But after Jongin had curled his arm around Kyungsoo’s waist and told him to think non-nauseating thoughts, everything had been… blurry. He even felt blurry, somehow, as colours from around Jongin’s lounge room spun and morphed into strange shapes, merging with other colours that hadn't been present in the cream room. The hues churned hypnotically and so did Kyungsoo’s stomach as he lost his sense of direction somewhere in the smudged kaleidoscope around him. Instinctively, he latched into Jongin’s shirt, scrunching handfuls of it along the hemline, and squeezed his eyes shut.

A moment later, Kyungsoo felt a bit better and a soft “we're here” was whispered in his ear. He opened his eyes to see he was in a tiled room with a gathering of people around a cot in the corner. Everything was sharp, in-focus, and thankfully not blurry.

“Kyungsoo!” A voice he'd been scared he would never hear again boomed from the opposite side of the infirmary. Kyungsoo rushed to Chanyeol, almost falling over from the dizziness brought on by teleporting, and Jongin hovered over him until he reached the cot.

Chanyeol was sitting up, his skin pale but not sickly so and his body clean of any visible blood. He still looked worse for wear, with his hair messed and clumped and his eyes sunken with dark circles underneath. None of that mattered though, not when he was alive again.

“I'm glad to see you're alright.” Chanyeol looked up and down Kyungsoo’s person as he spoke, and Kyungsoo wanted to roll his eyes. Chanyeol was taking his big brother role a little too seriously if he’d died, come back to life, and then still worried about how Kyungsoo was faring.

“I am, more than alright. Thanks to you. How’s our local hero feeling, though?”

“Physically, not too bad. Emotionally and mentally? I'm still deciding.” Chanyeol’s smile wasn't as wide as normal but it was more than enough for Kyungsoo to see that the other was handling the situation better than anyone could have hoped for. He glanced down to Baekhyun, who sat next to the cot with his head down and a hand holding Chanyeol’s, then over to Yixing and Seulgi who stood to the side. “They've explained everything already. I'm officially a part of the secret circle now, just holding out on the membership card.”

“You only get the membership card when you complete… The Initiation.” Seulgi piped up from leaning against the wall, her voice deep and intentionally ominous sounding. Jongin, on Kyungsoo’s left, heaved a sigh as Yixing chuckled with a shake of his head.

“Don’t worry, there’s no such thing.” He assured, laughing again as Chanyeol looked to be on the verge of believing it anyway.

“...That we’re allowed to talk about, at least.” Seulgi whispered, her hand up to cover Yixing’s view of as she stared at the half-blood seriously.

“Oh my god…” Chanyeol was wide-eyed and clearly concerned for what he was going to have to do to earn the vampires’ respect. Baekhyun then, for the first time in the exchange, moved. He pulled on Chanyeol’s hand, gaining his attention immediately.

“They’re just messing with you, Yeol.”

“Oh?”

“Actually,” Seulgi interrupted, looking at Chanyeol with a teasing grin. “The initiation is getting fooled into believing there’s an initiation. So, well done, kid. You passed with flying colours.”

“Aw, nice!”

Baekhyun sighed, letting go of the taller’s hand. “That’s not a compliment, Yeol.”