finale

Separate Skies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You loved dancing with him, with your boyfriend Jung Hoseok.

 

Call yourself crazy, but the two of you were meant for each other.  The way your bodies seemed to move in sync shocked crowds wherever you went.  Even your old dance mentors were shocked at how well the two of you fit each other like fire and water, earth and sky, and yin and yang.  It was cheesy to say aloud, but he completed you.

 

This particular number was fun for you and him to put together.  It was a calm but pulsating beat that kept the choreography going till the very end.

 

You smiled as the two of you made eye contact.  The very last move, you leaned closer to him, and him to you.

 

You could feel the sweat and heat dripping from his brow as he broke out into a grin.

 

“That felt good,” he panted.  “At this rate, we’all be able to learn some more numbers before we’re forced to do classes in the fall.”

 

“I thought you liked the classes,” you pointed out.

 

He raised his hands in defeat.  “I do.  I love the kids.  It’s just a bit tiring rounding them all up.  They’re such little balls of energy.” He leaned in and pecked your lips softly.  “Plus, it means we have less time for…us.”

 

You pulled him closer and kissed him, pulling back ever so slightly to catch your racing breath.  “I love you, Jung Hoseok, and there’s nothing that will change that.”

 

Before the two of you could continue where you left off, Hoseok’s phone rang out from where your bags were on the other side of the room.  He shot you an apologetic look before you smiled and shook your head. He dashed over, pulled the device out, and answered it without hesitation.

 

“Hello?” he said.  He made a funny face at you, at which you stifled your giggles.

 

Then his expression grew dark.

 

“Okay,” he said.  “I don’t know why you’re contacting me.  I’m not responsible. Never was.” He ran his hand through his hair.  “No, you know perfectly well that’s not what I meant.  Don’t twist my words.  My answer is no.” He sighed heavily.  “Why? Because I don’t want anything to do with it.  I don’t care that even my sister will be going. She meant more to her than me.”  He caught your worried expression and nodded to you. “No, don’t bother. Bye.”

 

You walked over.  “Who was that?”

 

“No one,” he replied with a pursed smile.  

 

You raised an eyebrow.  

 

He laughed, but you could tell it was forced.  “Don’t worry about it, honey.” He grabbed both of your bags.  “Did you want to watch a movie? I heard that new Spiderman movie is pretty great.”

 

You knew there was more to the story than he let on, but you decided not to question him further.  You found yourself smiling. “Sure!”

 

You held hands all the way back to the flat you shared.

 

--

 

The two of you ended up ordering pizza and shared glasses of wine while watching the movie.  You both laughed and snorted at the jokes in the film, and for a moment, you thought everything was perfect.

 

The moment the movie ended, you began to do the dishes, and he saved the leftover pieces.  When he was done putting the pizza in the fridge, he walked over and slid his arms around your waist as you continued to do the dishes.  You smiled as he nuzzled his nose into your neck.

 

“What is it?” you asked quietly.  

 

He hummed.  “Nothing.”

 

You shook your head.  “There’s something on your mind,” you noted.  You set the sponge down and turned around, him holding you close against the counter.  “You can talk to me, Hoseok. You know that right?” you said.

 

He looked away.  “I told you, it’s nothing.  I’m just…thinking about you.”

 

“Uh huh.  What about me?”

 

A smile tickled his lips.  “Your eyes. Your lips. Your heart.  You loving me.” He leaned down and kissed your forehead, cradling your cheeks with his calloused hands.  “Even when the world shuts me out, you’ve always been there.”

 

You touched his cheek and gazed into his eyes.  “Hoseok…”

 

He stepped back and sighed.  “There’s nothing wrong, Y/N, so please don’t ask anymore.”

 

You frowned.  That wasn’t the answer you wanted to hear.  You took his hand and smiled gently. “Come on,” you whispered.  “Let’s get you showered. You still smell like sweat.”

 

Your boyfriend grinned and touched your nose.  “You too.”

 

--

 

The next day, Hoseok had left a note to you, saying he was going out for a morning workout at the gym.  You washed up and began making breakfast, something healthy for the two of you. Thoughts from the night before still troubled you as you cut some fruit.

 

“I don’t know why you’re contacting me.  I’m not responsible. Never was.”

 

“No, you know perfectly well that’s not what I meant.  Don’t twist my words. My answer is no. Why? Because I don’t want anything to do with it.  I don’t care that even my sister will be going. She meant more to her than me.”

 

“Ah!” you yelped as you cut your finger.  You groaned as you threw the knife in the sink and went off to the bathroom to clean your finger.

 

As soon as you got a bandage on, Hoseok came through the door.

 

“Morning, sleepy-head,” he said as he kissed your cheek.  His eyes lit up at the sight of the toast and fruit you had prepared.  “Has anyone told you you’re the best?”

 

You grinned.  “Just you.”

 

As the two of you ate, you noticed the dark circles under his eyes.  Before you could say anything, he cleared his throat.

 

“Y/N,” Hoseok said, his voice low.  “I’m going back home to Gwangju for a couple days.”

 

“Did something happen?” you asked.  

 

He shook his head and gave you a sad smile.  “My grandma. She’s as pesky as ever. That’s who called last night.  She was afraid she was going to pass so she wanted to see her grandkids one last time.”

 

You nodded slowly.  “Can I come?”

 

“I don’t think you want to be dragged into this,” he laughed.  “She’s rude and crude, my grandma.”

 

You pursed your lips.  You were honestly a bit hurt.

 

“I’ll be back before you know it,” he said.  “I’m sorry…I have to go…”

 

You forced a smile as you rose to your feet, taking the dishes.  “I understand.” You touched his hand and held it softly. “Come back quickly, okay?”

 

He got up and hugged your frame.  “I love you so much, Y/N. Do you know that?”

 

You smiled to yourself.  “I’m having a hard time remembering,” you teased.

 

He pulled back and kissed you and made you forget why you were even worried in the first place.

 

--

 

Those two days came and went, and before you knew it, Hoseok was back with you, though he seemed different.  He usually smiled as bright as sunshine, but now those seemed like a distant memory. He spent most of his time either at the studio or moping around the house.  

 

He looked sad.

 

Of course, you wanted to ask what was wrong, but the words never came out.  Instead, you tried to busy yourself with dancing or housework, but you would always run out of energy or things to do.  You were forced to watch him from a distance, and it broke your heart to see him that way.

 

But as expected, there was a breaking point.

 

You left Hoseok napping on the couch while you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter